Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm sorry, but I have to rant about officiating, something I normally wouldn't do, because its just been brutal against the Thrashers recently.

I'm starting to get sick and tired of seeing teams get bailed out by refs. Is the NHL the NFL? I'm not saying the Thrashers would be winning this game otherwise, because they'd still be losing, but it would be much closer without these horrific calls. It's blantantly obvious. I guess when it's due or die time down the stretch, and a playoff bubble team is playing at home, the refs tend to favor that team. I mean Gerbe's goal was bullshit, and it completely deflated the Thrashers.

What goes around comes around, they say. These teams that get bailed out by refs just end up getting swept in the playoffs because none of that stuff occurs. Is it really a coincidence that the Thrashers have been getting jobbed down the stretch? I find that hard to believe. Actually, I've been seeing a ton of terrible calls against a lot of different teams recently, not just the Thrashers.

If anyone is going to respond to this, please do not act like you're blind, I'm not here to argue. I just had to get this out of my system. I'll post my usual recap later on.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Gerbe's goal wasn't bullshit. Mason didn't have the puck covered, play goes on. And your own guys were were pushing the net off its moorings (and Mason off position) for no apparent reason then stoppage of play.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Gerbe's goal wasn't bullshit. Mason didn't have the puck covered, play goes on. And your own guys were were pushing the net off its moorings (and Mason off position) for no apparent reason then stoppage of play.
    The puck was not going in the net, it was under Mason's pad. The only reason it went in was because not only was the whistle not blown, but Mancary did what I thought was illegal. There is absolutely no way Mancary is allowed to charge the goalie and remove his pad from the post. I've never heard of that being acceptable, in fact the Thrashers got called for goaltender interference by doing something like that before. That was bullshit, and was the turning point of the game. The Thrashers were owning the Sabres up until that "goal".
    Go Jets Go

Uhh... that was your own guy who moved Mason from the post. And on replay you can clearly see the puck against Mason's pad and the post. If seen, it could not have been under his pad.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I saw this earlier, thanks for posting it here though. I hope this gets sorted out soon, it's just been a dragged out process. I'm sure it distracted the players all season as well. I have a feeling one of the two interested buyers will buy them and keep them in Atlanta, well at least I hope it happens.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Uhh... that was your own guy who moved Mason from the post. And on replay you can clearly see the puck against Mason's pad and the post. If seen, it could not have been under his pad.
    From the replay it looked clearly to me like it was Mancary. Even our announcer Matt Mcconnell, and our analyst Darren Eliot, said Mancary was the one to dislodge Mason from the net, which is not allowed. I think you need to watch the replay again.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Yeah...no. Here's some vid, nothing but your guys crashing the net.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010021071

However, for the sake of argument, let's say I give you that goal. What about the three goals prior to Gerbe's and the following four?

At what point is it the Thrasher's fault for coming up lame. At what point do you say "Hmmmm....maybe Bogosian should not have been deked out of his skates by Ennis, and then proceeded to launch his stick at him while watching Ennis score."

Blaming the Refs for this loss is like putting a band aid on a bullet hole.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

However, for the sake of argument, let's say I give you that goal. What about the three goals prior to Gerbe's and the following four?

At what point is it the Thrasher's fault for coming up lame. At what point do you say "Hmmmm....maybe Bogosian should not have been deked out of his skates by Ennis, and then proceeded to launch his stick at him while watching Ennis score."

yup Bomm, true dat...were it 4-3 or 3-2 or something you could maybe blame the officiating but 8-2 there's only one place to place the blame and that's where it belongs, on the losing team. ATL got outplayed by a better team, plain and simple

Dobber Sports Stud

The officials took the game out of the Thrashers hands by allowing that goal. We were absolutely owning the Sabres in that period until that mishap by the ref.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Do you not understand what I'm telling you? I'm not making something up so if you're going to be a homer please do not post here on this topic. #12's stick, whom I believe is Mancary, dislodged Mason from the post, it was as clear as day. There is no did he or did he not do it. He interfered with the goalie by poking Mason's pad off the post and it wasn't called. That is a disgrace.

And that is why the Thrashers were deflated.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 20, 2011 at 1:39 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Banned

It's not really interference if he was going for the puck. I don't have a problem with that.

The Thrashers played a shit game so it doesn't really matter. AtlantaSportsFan, you say you are a "realist" but you have blamed 3 of their losses in the past 2 weeks on the refereeing, and frankly this whole conspiracy stuff is getting old. The Thrashers are not a playoff team, and even if the other teams are bailed out by the refs, which isn't really the case, the Thrashers still aren't good enough to actually win the games on their own either.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    It's not really interference if he was going for the puck. I don't have a problem with that.

The Thrashers played a shit game so it doesn't really matter. AtlantaSportsFan, you say you are a "realist" but you have blamed 3 of their losses in the past 2 weeks on the refereeing, and frankly this whole conspiracy stuff is getting old. The Thrashers are not a playoff team, and even if the other teams are bailed out by the refs, which isn't really the case, the Thrashers still aren't good enough to actually win the games on their own either.
    You are telling me what I already know, so I don't see the point of the post at all. Teams like Buffalo, Devils (not making it though), Hurricanes are one and done come playoff time. You say Atlanta isn't a playoff team, well really, neither are those teams. They are on the bubble teams that are trying to make the playoffs to extend their season, and sell more tickets. When you need to get bailed out to beat a bad team like Atlanta... well that just tells you how good you are. Playoffs, for those who don't know, is a whole different type of hockey, usually when the good teams come out to play, hence good teams are supposed to make playoffs. But the Eastern Conference is weak, I know. Well at least there is something called the element of upset, though it is highly unlikely.

And yes, this stretch of games was the first time all season that I blamed officiating, and because it has been a problem. I'm probably one of the most realistic fans on this message board, so there is absolutely no need to question that. I've been saying for months how my team isn't making the playoffs, so thank you for pointing out how much of a realist I am. But getting jobbed by refs is wrong, and doesn't bode well for the league in general. The smart thing to do is miss anyway, you get the higher pick. And a team like Atlanta, who are only a few pieces away, could really use a high pick. That way in a few years, we will be a playoff team while the one and done teams this year are at home golfing.

I'm not replying on this topic anymore because quite frankly, I could care less about Buffalo, or any other team for that matter. I'm here to write up on the Thrashers, not argue about how far the Eastern Conference teams are going in the playoffs. I'll do that when playoff time arrives when I post my thoughts, and give a bracket.

--

Back to Thrashers:

Thrashers are off for a few days, but there are a few things I'm going to talk about in my next post. I'll write that up tomorrow since it is very late and I need sleep. I'll tell you who NOT to start in fantasy next week, if you are in fantasy hockey playoffs. And I'll talk about players to keep an eye on as they go for new milestones.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 20, 2011 at 3:36 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Banned

Dobber Sports Stud

With 10 games left for the Thrashers, some players are close to achieving new milestones.

Evander Kane is two goals away from his first of many 20 goal seasons. Except, in the future he won't just get 20 goals in a season and stop. Try somewhere in the high 30s, low 40s.

Andrew Ladd the 30 goal scorer? Ladd needs four goals to merit that title.

Dustin Byfuglien needs a goal to reach 20 for the first time in his career. He probably would have had close to 30 by now if the team didn't implode about three months ago.

Tobias Enstrom has already topped his career high in points with 51, but it will be interesting to see where he finishes. The overall team implode definitely affected him as well, not just his injury.

Alexander Burmistrov needs one point to make 20. He's played a very quiet but impactful role as a rookie, and I only expect him to get better in the future.

Thrashers back in action tomorrow night

It's a short week for the Thrashers and that may affect your fantasy lineup. If you've made it to the playoffs and have any Thrashers on your fantasy team, and if you have the guts to start your Thrasher/s, well hopefully for your sake, that Thrasher isn't Ondrej Pavelec. Pavelec has been awful as of late and I would not start him by any means. It doesn't matter who the opponent is although unfortunately, the two opponents are the Islanders, and Canucks. It's unfortunate for him that the team in front of him isn't playing well, but he's not making any difference either. If you do have the likes of Enstrom, Byfuglien, Kane, Ladd, or Wheeler, then they can be started with confidence.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 2, Islanders 1

Thrashers dominated the Islanders in every aspect, and out shot them 34-15.

Fantasy Impact
    Blake Wheeler- Wheeler had 2 assists. He was the best player on the ice, and was absolutely phenominal on the penalty kill. He set up Schremp with a beautiful saucer pass.

Andrew Ladd- Ladd scored his 27th goal of the season. He needs 3 more for 30.

Rob Schremp- Schremp scored the game winning goal against his former team. The Thrashers are hoping for a waiver wire steal with Schremp.

Dustin Byfuglien- Buff had 1 assist which adds to his point toal.

Look Ahead

With only 9 games left in the regular season, The Thrashers are back in action tonight against the Canucks.
    Go Jets Go