Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 3, Hurricanes 2

RECAP
    The Thrashers almost pulled another choke out of their back pocket. Leading 2-0 after the first period, they found a way to let Carolina right back in the game. It was Erik Cole, who's been dominating the Thrashers all season long, that tied the game in the third, making sure the Hurricanes would get at least one point out of it. The overtime hero for the Thrashers was shockingly, Tim Stapleton, someone the fans have been dogging for a while.

Fantasy Impact
    Ondrej Pavelec- Pavelec came off an injury and played like he did back in November/December. He stopped 35 shots and only allowed two goals in the overtime win. Is it safe to say he's back? Let's see how he fairs against New Jersey times two, and Philadelphia times two.

Evander Kane- Kane snapped his 6 game pointless streak with an assist. He's been a bit inconsistent as of late, but it is nothing to worry about. The 19 year old is still learning the ropes, and progressing as an NHLer.

Blake Wheeler- Wheeler had an assist giving him his 6th point as a Thrasher. He's looked phenominal in Thrashers blue.

Tobias Enstrom- Enstrom scored his 9th goal of the season which continues to be his career high in goals. He now has 49 points on the season, leaving him one shy of back to back 50 point seasons.

NOTES
    -Dustin Byfuglien missed his first game as a Thrasher with a lower body injury. He's "felt sore" for a while.

-Paul Postma made his NHL debut and logged about 10 minutes time on ice. He looked solid in his debut.

-Robbie Schremp scored his first goal as a Thrasher.

-Tim Stapleton put the game away in overtime.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Administrator

From a Thrashers fan's perspective, how do you feel about the Kubina suspension in light of what has gone on recently? How do you connect the dots from your point of view? Is it all fair and justified in Kubina's case?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    From a Thrashers fan's perspective, how do you feel about the Kubina suspension in light of what has gone on recently? How do you connect the dots from your point of view? Is it all fair and justified in Kubina's case?
    I know this is going to end up with me talking about Pacioretty/Chara but I'm through with that. I think you already know how I feel about it anyway (if you've read my thoughts in the main hockey forum).

On to Kubina...

I personally thought it was a joke to suspend him at all because it was not an intentional hit. Kubina did not do that intentionally, he was not even looking at Bolland's head. In my opinion, he was just trying to jockey for position by sticking his elbow out in attempt to shoulder him away when Bolland decided to put on the brakes and lose a few inches. Kubina is already bigger than Bolland as it is, so with him sticking his elbow out, makes even more of a chance he might unintentionally hit Bolland in his head if Bolland makes himself vulnerable to it. Bolland put himself in that position, and to give Kubina a suspension is a joke. There was nothing Kubina could do to avoid that, he's playing hockey.

I'm sick of hearing about how players are going for heads. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT like cheap shots, but that was NOT a cheap shot. By definiton, I guess you could say it was a head shot, but what is Kubina supposed to do? It was an unintentional head shot and it didn't even look vicious enough to even sit here and debate if it was suspension worthy or not. People need to start looking at the players getting hit and start blaming them for putting themselves in that vulnerable position. Just like Chara, Kubina tried to make a "hockey" play. Both circumstances were unfortunate, and unintentional. Do I like when Matt Cooke goes around dishing out cheap shots? No, because that is intent to injure when you actually do it on purpose. This hit was nothing like that, and I do not put blame on Kubina. Knowing the NHL, they probably gave a suspension to 'justify' for what happened with Chara because fans are crying that he didn't get suspended, even though neither Chara or Kubina deserved one.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Administrator

Not trying to stir up anything here, just trying to see how fans of other teams feel about the aftermath once the inevitable changes hit their teams. I have not seen the Kubina play but from what my dad said it looked pretty innocent.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Devils 3, Thrashers 2

Recap
    A very disappointing loss to say the least. In a game where the Thrashers had the lead twice, it was the Devils powerplay unit that struck on all three goals, including the game winning goal in overtime. It was unusual to see the Thrashers this undisciplined tonight, and most of the penalties taken were bad, unnecessary penalties, most notably the penalty by Evander Kane that lead to the game winning goal in overtime. The penalty kill unit was no better which makes me wonder why they even went out and acquired someone like Radek Dvorak. In the first period, the Thrashers took a one goal lead but it was quickly erased when the Devils scored their first powerplay goal two minutes later. The same exact thing can be said for the second period, when the Thrashers again scored to get the one goal lead back, but only for it to be quickly erased by the Devils powerplay unit. The Devils finished the game 3-6 on the powerplay with somewhere over 12 shots, and capped it off in overtime when Zajac put it away. The Thrashers outplayed the Devils in even strength hockey, but the inability to stay out of the box merely ended the Thrashers hopes of winning, or at the very least, extending the game to the shootout.

Fantasy Impact
    Blake Wheeler- Wheeler scored his 4th goal as a Thrasher and now has 7 points with the club. He's been tremendous.

Dustin Byfuglien- Congratulations to Big Buff. He scored his 20th goal tonight and broke the 50 point plateau! He's had a great season.

Tobias Enstrom- The same can be said for Toby. With his assist tonight, he now has 50 points on the season! Congratulations on back to back 50 point seasons! Many more should follow.

Andrew Ladd- Andrew Ladd continues to be red hot as he recorded another assist tonight. The line of Ladd-Little-Wheeler is clicking.

Bryan Little- Little had two assist tonight leaving him with 40 points on the season. Little is someone who struggles to scored goals and become fantasy relevant, but his hard work doesn't come unnoticed. He should still have an eye kept on him incase he breaks out into a fantasy play again.

Notes
    -The Thrashers get a point out of it, and the Devils receive two, leaving the Thrashers ahead of the Devils in the standings by two points.

-The Thrashers trail the Rangers and Sabres by 6 points.

-The schedule ahead is tough for Atlanta, next three games: Phi, NJ, Phi.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 5, Flyers 4

Recap
    Just when I thought the game was all but over, the Thrashers rallied to win it in overtime! They struck for four goals in the third period, and eventually won it in OT. The Flyers went into the third period with a three goal lead, however, do not be fooled to think that it meant they outplayed the Thrashers because it was a lot closer than the scoreboard indicated. The goaltending and horrendous penalty kill could be blamed for the early Thrashers woes. The Thrashers struck twice early in the third with goals from Kane and Bogosian to make it a one goal game right before Ville Leino scored on the powerplay for his first career hat trick. It almost felt like that would be the goal that would put a stop to the comeback but the Thrashers didn't give up just yet. Tobias Enstrom scored to make it a one goal game again. The thought of this being another 'tease' failed comeback was going through my mind. But in the final minutes, red hot captain Andrew Ladd tied the game up to send it to overtime. Ron Hainsey completed the comeback with a goal just over a minute into the overtime period. In the end, the Thrashers ended up outshooting the Flyers by a shot total of 41-24.

Fantasy Impact
    Evander Kane- Kane had a goal and an assist. He now has 18 goals and 38 points on the season.

Tobias Enstrom- Enstrom scored his 10th goal of the season, and now has 51 points. He is now on a five game point streak.

Andrew Ladd- RED HOT Andrew Ladd, the captain, had a goal and an assist, including the clutch game tying goal. Ladd now has 26 goals and 53 points on the season.

Blake Wheeler- Do I sound like a broken record here? Well that's because Wheeler keeps on playing great. He recorded an assist which is now his 8th point as a Thrasher. He is on a four game point streak.

Zach Bogosian- Bogosian was relied on heavily in the third period in the absence of Byfuglien. Bogosian came through with a huge goal. The good news with Zach is that he's been playing some good hockey the past month. It's a great sign for all Bogosian fantasy owners. Do not give up hope on the 20 year old just yet!

News and Notes
    -Dustin Byfuglien did not return to the game after the second period. The word is he may have re-injured his groin. I'll update when I hear more.

-The Thrashers now have 70 points. Carolina and Buffalo both lost in regulation tonight, and the Rangers are in action at the moment. The Thrashers remian four points out of a playoff spot.

A Look Ahead
    The Thrashers are off for two days and will resume action on Tuesday night in New Jersey. It is an important game for both teams as playoffs are still looming. My worry about the Thrashers as they go forward is the penalty kill. Obviously, there are other problems, but this may be the worst. I'm still trying to figure out why Rick Dudley made a trade for Dvorak, it's not like he's been a help. If the Thrashers can win these next two games, there may be some hope afterall.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Star

ASP, you have made my day!!!!

I dumped Eric Fehr for Wheeler for some stretch run points, but am also secretly hoping he is a nice keeper. I know very little about him, except that he started out with some promise in Boston and has potential.

I feel a little dumb, cause I usually know my players, but maybe you could describe his game a little. Power fwd? sniper? set up man?

Either way, feeling really good about grabbing him. It was between him and Brett Maclean, and I think I made the right choice.

Thanks and great insights!!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

Loco, great choice by adding Wheeler.

He's playing amazing right now, and I do believe he will be a nice keeper for you long term. When I say playing amazing, I don't just mean getting points and helping out fantasy wise... I mean playing great all around NHL hockey. To be honest, I'm not sure why Boston didn't like him, but I never really followed him in Boston. He was a former 5th overall pick so the potential was always there. Plus, he's 6'5, with skill. I don't know why he has gone unnoticed for so long.

I would like to describe his game as an all around forward. So far I've seen him do bits of everything. He knows how to use his height to win puck battles along the board, and it's hard to contain him when he is cycling along the boards using his body to protect the puck. He's a smart player, doesn't turn the puck over, knows where to go, and he knows how to get the puck to the open man. He has a good shot as well. But what I like most, and it actually surprised me at first, is the way he backchecks and gets back defensively, basically not giving up on the play. He does it so well, and with his height it actually surprised me. He has good speed as well for a big guy. From what I see, he gives it 110% every night.

I don't want to build up Wheeler as if he is some superstar, but it's looking very good thus far. I'm truely happy that he is on my team.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Star

Nice!
    Didn't realize he was 5th overall and that he potted 21 goals as a rookie. Not bad, not bad at all.

I really like that he is a big man, for a couple of reasons. First, I smell PP time in front of the net, and if he is like most big men, he takes a few years to hit his stride.

Think I might have landed a keeper.

Thanks again!!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

Unbelievable... though truthfully, it isn't and will never be the first time this happens.

Thrashers just got hosed... again. Twice in a week the Devils got ref help to bail them out. Absolutely pathetic. Teams like that don't deserve to make the playoffs, which is why teams like that never go far in the playoffs.

I'm in no mood to write up a review tonight. The NHL doesn't want us in the playoffs. Nothing really to talk about anyway, aside from the fact that the refs continually hose the Thrashers.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Unbelievable... though truthfully, it isn't and will never be the first time this happens.

Thrashers just got hosed... again. Twice in a week the Devils got ref help to bail them out. Absolutely pathetic. Teams like that don't deserve to make the playoffs, which is why teams like that never go far in the playoffs.

I'm in no mood to write up a review tonight. The NHL doesn't want us in the playoffs. Nothing really to talk about anyway, aside from the fact that the refs continually hose the Thrashers.
    If anything the NHL would WANT the Thrashers to make the playoffs to keep them in Atlanta. This conspiracy theory stuff is BS. The refs are just bad in general.
    Last edited by Big Ev; March 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 4, Flyers 3

Recap
    The Thrashers have once again defeated Philly. Just like the game on Saturday, the Thrashers seemed to control the play for most of the game, especially in the first and second period. Tim Stapleton started the scoring early in the first to give the Thrashers a 1-0 lead from a nice feed by Kane. The lead didn't last long as Claude Giroux quickly tied it up a few minutes later. In the second, Bryan Little gave the Thrashers the lead yet again, before Ondrej Pavelec gave Danny Briere a gift wraped goal to make the game 2-2. The Thrashers were unable to further a one goal lead as the Flyers always struck back to tie it. The ref made some bad calls, including one on Byfuglien that looked like a fairy call. Before the second ended, Nik Antropov gave the Thrashers their third lead of the game. The Thrashers really controlled the play in the first two periods. With a mintue and some seconds left in the game, the Flyers pulled Boucher and Danny Briere scored the lone goal in the third period to tie the game. The game extended to a shootout in which the Thrashers scored twice, while the Flyers were unable to get it past Pavelec. Robbie Schremp and Blake Wheeler were the goal scorers in the shootout. All in all, the Thrashers really showed that they don't fear Philly. They played like a playoff team tonight, and made some really outstanding plays. They outshot Philly in this win as well, and seemed to have most time on attack. Ondrej Pavelec was disappointing in net as he let up some bad goals, including the gift to Briere. Pavs must play better especially in the final stretch. If the Thrashers can play like this more often, they'd be more successful.

Fantasy Impact
    Evander Kane- Kane reached the 40 point mark with an assist. He is on a three game point streak.

Blake Wheeler- Wheeler had an assist and now has nine point as a Thrasher. He had some really good looks including a two on one with Little, but Boucher made an amazing save.

Ondrej Pavelec- Pavs has been a disappointment lately. He needs to play better down the stretch.

Zach Bogosian- Bogosian really looked well, again. Things are starting to look good with him. Fantasy owners- be patient it will pay off. He logged 29 minutes tonight.

News and Notes
    - The Leafs and Devils both lost in regulation tonight which is good news for the Thrashers.

A Look Ahead
    Easily the most imporant game of the season this Saturday night against the Buffalo Sabres. If the Thrashers can pull out a win here it would be huge. I can feel a streak coming on, especially with the way the team has been playing as of late.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

The Thrashers didn't get much help tonight, as the Rangers won, and the Hurricanes came back to win in OT. The Devils did lose, however, which probably ended their hopes of making the playoffs.

Tomorrow night is a huge game between the Thrashers and Sabres, with the Thrashers entering four points behind. The Thrashers playoff hopes could very well end with a loss, and the Sabres playoff hopes could be jeoparized, as the Hurricanes are now tied with the slugs in points. One thing for sure is things will get interesting with only a dozen or less games left to be played.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great summaries here ASF.

I was at the PHI/ATL game on Thursday. Great game, very fast. And bad blood.
    Buff popped Richards right in the face during the 2nd period. Can't find a clip of that anywhere. Must have some history those two.

Hope ATL can make the playoffs, too many teams ahead of them but they are certainly playing some very motivated hockey the past week.

Keep up the great work!!!

Banned