Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

The Wolverine

Thanks a lot - much appreciated. I have a waiver claim for him in a very deep league (open slot) so don't have anything to lose. Low risk, potential high(er) reward.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not sure what to make of this but Dustin Byfuglien is NOT on the ice for today's practice. Just five defensemen skating. Waiting for an official reason on this.

Andrew Ladd is skating but no word if he will play tonight.

The Thrashers are set to take on the Washington Capitals tonight.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Superstar

Byf will play tonight, just a maintenance day for him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Thrashers vs Capitals 1/26/11 -- Quick Preview

Washington (27-14-9) at Atlanta (23-19-9)

Washington, 2nd, Southeast -- 11-9-3 Road
    Atlanta, 3rd, Southeast -- 11-9-5 Home

The Atlanta Thrashers are set to take on division rivals the Washington Capitals. The Thrashers have been through a rough patch this past month and look to go into the all star break with some momentum. After losing three in a row and four out of it's last five, the Thrashers find themselves just barely hanging onto a playoff berth. With an unfortunate injury to top defensemen Tobias Enstrom, and still ailing injuries to Evander Kane and Jim Slater, other players must step up and provide offense. The Thrashers have fared pretty well against the Capitals this season holding a record of 3-1-1 against them. This is the final time these two teams will meet in the regular season. Atlanta is still in position to make the playoffs and the result of this game is huge.

Notes*

Evander Kane will not play Wednesday vs. Caps.

It looks from pre-game warm-up that Andrew Ladd will play and Nigel Dawes will be scratch.

Via BenThrashers -- Thrashers starters: Bogosian,Hainsey,Little, Stewart, Cormier and Pavelec
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

I'll post a game review and my thoughts on the Thrashers going into the all star break sometime tomorrow.

But I do have some late night important news involving the Thrashers.

Reported by Darren Dreger--- On the day word leaks Atl is willing to move Antropov, Hainsey and Modin. All 3 factor in the gwg in a 1-0 win over the Capitals.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey ASF, nice forum you've got here!

Im pretty curious about Burmistrov, was hoping you could give me an insight as to how you see him progressing in the Atlanta system. And if/when he will become fantasy relevant for a keeper league like mine in sig.

He seems to have a decent two-way game, Dobber has him ranked 4th on the current prospects list also. Basically im not sure whether to buy into the hype around him or not.

Thanks
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Hey ASF, nice forum you've got here!

Im pretty curious about Burmistrov, was hoping you could give me an insight as to how you see him progressing in the Atlanta system. And if/when he will become fantasy relevant for a keeper league like mine in sig.

He seems to have a decent two-way game, Dobber has him ranked 4th on the current prospects list also. Basically im not sure whether to buy into the hype around him or not.

Thanks
    I'm a big fan of Burmistrov's game, but it will take a couple of years before he becomes fantasy relevant. Right now he is being relied on as more of a defensive, two-way forward, which I believe will help the kid progress better as an NHLer in the future. He's already showed just how good he can be in the offensive zone with his speed, flashy stick handling, and ability to control the puck. He has a good shot and an understanding on where to go around the net, but as a rookie, he still has to learn the game more so that when he is being relied on to get top line minutes he'll be able to produce faster. What I'm saying is it's not his time yet. I think next year he will get a chance and the feel of what it's like to be in an offensive role playing with players around him that can score goals. I'm sure when the opportunity comes he will make the most of it but the question is will he be ready to be relied on as an offensive talent just yet? He definitely has the potential to be Atlanta's top line center for years.

I don't think he will become fantasy relevant in any keeper league until at least his third season in the NHL. My best advice for you and anyone else is if your league has a farm system that you can draft players to, then Burmistrov is one of those guys you should think about drafting and stashing until a couple more seasons.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Thrashers 1, Capitals 0 / Pavelec blanks Caps for second time this season

Recap and analysis on last nights game and the Thrashers going forward.

Ondrej Pavelec has been impressive all season long and last night was no exception. Pavelec turned aside all 36 shots that went his way including eight shots from number eight himself. Alexander Ovechkin doesn't have his way against any other team in the NHL like he does with the Thrashers. In fact, 63 of Ovechkin's 580 career points came against the Thrashers, including 30 of those points being goals. This season went a little different for Ovechkin and the Capitals. In the six game season series, Ovechkin was held to only four points in total (two and two). The Thrashers held their own against the Capitals, winning the season series with a record of 4-1-1. Pavelec's performances against the Capitals this season, including last night, was sort of like a message sent to Ovechkin and the rest of the Capitals indicating that there will be no more Ovechkin owning. If Pavelec's play in net could speak words it would say, "Yo Ovechkin, I'm the man in Atlanta now, this is my team, I'm the goalie that you will fear, and I'm going to be the netminder that shuts you down every season!"... something along those lines. I say this because Pavelec has been that dominant against the Capitals this season with a record of 3-1 (two shutouts), a goals against average of .55, and a save percentage of .984. A fan can't be any happier with Pavelec's amazing play heading into the all star break. His future looks bright.

The Thrashers started off the first period slow, only accumulating four shots on goal. Nik Antropov scored the lone goal mid-way through the second period and it was just enough to win. In the absence of all star defensemen Tobias Enstrom, Johnny Oduya stepped up alongside Dustin Byfuglien and lead the team with time on ice with 26:49. Oduya also had the duties of being on the top powerplay unit alongside Byfuglien. Byfuglien is now pointless in 10 straight games. Patrice Cormier was hit early in the game and only played one shift afterwards which is why he had two minutes time on ice. Ramsay didn't utilize the fourth line in this game (Boulton and Stapelton both with three minutes time on ice). Struggling Zach Bogosian played a solid game which could be a good sign going into the all star break. Andrew Ladd lead all forwards with time on ice with a solid 25:05.

I wasn't too happy with the way the offense played last night. I'm still not a fan of seeing them dump and chase and it only resulting in giving the opponent free possession most of the time. I'd like to see them carry the puck across the blue line more often. Besides Pavelec, I was probably most happy with the way Oduya played. It was really impressive to see him step up and play well with big time minutes. Ron Hainsey also played a solid game blocking a ton of shots as usual. A lot of Byfuglien fantasy owners might be worried when they see that he's been pointless in 10 straight. The only thing I can tell you is that he's been getting his chances but the opposing goalie is just stoning him. Varlamov made a few great saves on him last night when the puck really looked like it was going in the net.

The Thrashers will go into the all star break currently sitting in a playoff spot. I can't be more happier as a fan than to hear that. I'm very satisfied with the way they've played all season long though the problem is not being consistent enough. Hopefully, players will get rest and some of the injured players will be ready to return for the next game. Evander Kane and Tobias Enstrom will be needed for the playoff run. It will be very interesting to see if GM Rick Dudley pulls the trigger on a trade before the trade deadline arrives. Thrashers have only 30 games left this season. Can they make the playoffs?
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Evander Kane ready to return to the lineup as the Thrashers are set to host the New York Islanders tonight. Every game from here on out is more important than ever with the playoffs a real possibility.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers GM Rick Dudley says he is looking to make a trade in hopes of improving a struggling team that could fall out of the playoff race in no time.

The Thrashers were absolutely horrendous in last nights loss to the Islanders. They were outplayed in every zone, and it showed on the scoreboard. They've been a very mediocre team for the past six weeks and it might very well cause them to miss the playoffs. I'm not surprised that Dudley wants to make a trade but the questions are who will he be looking to deal, and who will he be looking to acquire?
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Sage

You heard anything on Tobi? He's not on IR so I'm suspecting they think he could be back fairly soon... any news?
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    You heard anything on Tobi? He's not on IR so I'm suspecting they think he could be back fairly soon... any news?
    There hasn't been any new news on Toby. I'm sure he is still expected to miss the 2-4 weeks.

From my personal opinion, I think you should expect a return either on the 11th or 13th. I'd be surprised, and happy, if he returned before then. If not on those days than definitely the 17th (there is a three day break from 13th-17th and I would be surprised if he missed more). I do think realistically he could be back in time for the earliest date I mentioned (11th).
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers set to host the Calgary Flames after a devistating loss to the Islanders on Tuesday night.

Some news and notes

Thrashers place Tobias Enstrom on IR retroactive to Jan. 22.
    Scouts at Thrashers-Flames game from Ducks, Islanders, Predators, Blackhawks, Blues and Lightning.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers lose 4-2 to the Flames.

Realistically, and I can admit this because I'm a realist fan, the Thrashers are not going to make the playoffs. A good start to the season for absolutely nothing.

They lost again because they have no defense to keep the puck out of the net, or out of the defensive zone, and they have no offense to put the puck in the net, or maintain puck possession. Although dump and "turnover" doesn't help at all.

The only thing that can save them now is making a trade or something. There is just absolutely nothing going at all. This is certainly the Thrashers team that we all know of from years past.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Great news and it's about damn time this happened! Not sure how many of you know of him but the Thrashers have called up 22 year old defensemen Arturs Kulda. Not sure how long he will last up on the big club but the right thing would be to keep him up for the rest of the season. I'm very high on him and he is also a fan favorite of mine.

Kulda, still a rookie, played in four games last season. He recorded 2 assists, 9 hits, 8 blocked shots, and was a +2. I'd be very surprised if he becomes fantasy relevant at any point in his career. He is the defensive defenemen that I've been raving about since the organization stole him in the 7th round in 2006. I hope the organization doesn't screw up on this. Play him and he will pan out!
    Go Jets Go