Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

First of all, let me just start off by introducing myself. My name is Anthony and I'm a fairly new poster here at Dobbers. I must say though that this is the best hockey forum that I'm apart of, and I enjoy talking fantasy hockey and hockey in general with all of you here at Dobbers. I've been a fantasy hockey player since around 2004, probably the season right after the lockout, but this is the first year that I am not managing my own team in a league. Hopefully that changes next season as I'm in the process of starting and commissioning my own league. I turn 20 years old on Wednesday and I'm currently a student at Community College of Philadelphia. I was born and raised in South Philadelphia and it will probably raise the question, how does one from Philadelphia become an Atlanta sports fan?

One thing that means more to me than fantasy hockey is Thrashers hockey... it means a lot more to be exact. I've been a life long Thrashers fan since I would say right around when they first entered the league (I was probably about nine years old when I started to grow a liking for them). You know how some young kids are, some become fans of a certain player, some stick with their hometown team. I happened to become a fan of Dany Heatley, and Ilya Kovalchuk, still two of my all time favorite Thrashers. Being a fan of those players made me become a fan of the team in general. I've been a die hard fan ever since, rarely missing any games (In fact last Saturday, the night of the Falcons/Packers game, was the first Thrashers game I missed live on television since 06-07 and only because the Falcons were in a more important game). I consider myself a realist fan as well as being a die hard fan. Being an out of town fan, I only get to see them live twice a season when they come to Philadelphia. I hope that one day I will get the chance to visit Atlanta and watch them play in Philips Arena.

So how did I become an Atlanta sports fan you ask? Without spending too much time talking about this, I would just like to clarify how I grew a passion for the Falcons as well as a slightly less interest in the Braves and Hawks. Basically, it was the same deal with the Falcons as it was with the Thrashers. As a young kid, I grew a liking for Michael Vick after seeing highlights of him playing in college. When the Falcons drafted him I was so excited to see him play in the NFL. In short, I've been a die hard Falcons fan ever since. I gained interest in the Hawks and Braves a little later in my life probably around 2007. That was just a case of me saying, well I already like the Thrashers and Falcons so why not cheer for the other two? I don't consider myself a die hard Hawks and Braves fan like I do for the Thrashers and Falcons. However, I do keep up to date and follow the boxscore of those two teams and try to maintain my knowledge for them.

My goal in this thread is to keep you updated on Thrashers hockey. I would love nothing more than to give updates, statistics, injury reports, game previews, game reviews etc... I plan on posting daily to make sure the people interested in the Thrashers get their fix. I hope to help out all fantasy owners that have any Thrashers on their team.

On gameday, I am prepared to give a preview of the matchup with any important notes and breaking news that may include late game scratches or injuries, and I will always give an after game recap either that night or the following day.

I'll be updating this thread daily. If you have ANY questions about the Thrashers, please do not hesitate to ask. That's what I'm here for. I'm here to help you!
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

I...am your father.

Quality post Anthony, glad to have you aboard. Can you replicate yourself 29 more times and move to other cities in North America? This will be handy information!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Monster

Hey ASF ( Thats your new nickname for your handle) :P

Welcome aboard to the " Team Coverage" section. look forward to alot of Thrasher news

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome aboard.

I would have never thought that the Atlanta Thrashers and Carolina Hurricanes would be getting covered before all the Canadian teams and legendary teams like Boston and Pittsburgh but it's awesome to see for sure.

It's been great reading your stuff in the main forums on the Thrashers - consider this official now
    Good Luck and I will be reading.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Simply amazing!

What a background, I see a bit of similarities to my liking of the Nashville Preds. Loved Sullivan, Kariya, Vokoun (still do) and Weber is currently my favorite player - but have yet to own him in my Dynasty leagues. Combined with the Sabertooth Tiger being my highschool mascot as well as those kickass jerseys and I'm an instant fan! (Even if they gutted the perfectly built team from a couple years back)

Welcome to the team!

GMG
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Stud

Your contributions the past two months have been noticed and appreciated, ASF. Keep up the good work!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Simply amazing!

What a background, I see a bit of similarities to my liking of the Nashville Preds. Loved Sullivan, Kariya, Vokoun (still do) and Weber is currently my favorite player - but have yet to own him in my Dynasty leagues. Combined with the Sabertooth Tiger being my highschool mascot as well as those kickass jerseys and I'm an instant fan! (Even if they gutted the perfectly built team from a couple years back)

Welcome to the team!

GMG
    I hear we are looking for a Nashville Predators writer too We don't really want Dutch doing that do we?

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I hear we are looking for a Nashville Predators writer too We don't really want Dutch doing that do we?
    haha! I thought about that long and hard. I figured the only other Preds fan on these boards was in fact Dutch. Truth is, if i could split in two I would do it in a heartbeat although I simply can't. That's why this section has you guys! A preds fan will come along sometime soon.... *crosses fingers*

As for Atlanta, I want to know what the hell is going on with Bogosian! ASF please tell me
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Administrator

Glad to find a fellow Falcons fan! Finally someone that shares my pain about that stupid playoff game. A NFC-leading 13-3 all for nothing... but anyways...

What's the deal with Anthony Stewart? What's his secret? I consider him the weirdest ascent to relevance since Sheldon Souray (still can't figure out that one). I traded him earlier this year for a mid-round pick in a prospect draft cashing in on his hot start but he hasn't really slowed down yet. WTF?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    haha! I thought about that long and hard. I figured the only other Preds fan on these boards was in fact Dutch. Truth is, if i could split in two I would do it in a heartbeat although I simply can't. That's why this section has you guys! A preds fan will come along sometime soon.... *crosses fingers*

As for Atlanta, I want to know what the hell is going on with Bogosian! ASF please tell me
    To be honest, I'm both worried and disappointed in Bogosian's play. Defense. He doesn't have it going right now. Here is my take on him from both a fantasy and a general hockey standpoint.

Bogosian, thus far, has taken a major step back in his career from the potential that we saw during his rookie season and for the most part of last season. A general hockey fan might tell you that it is because of the acquisition of Byfuglien that Bogosian's production has dropped significantly. In some cases, like fantasy, that may be true, however, Bogosian should be the least bit worried about how he fares in terms of being productive offensively. Signing Byfuglien did not affect Bogosian in any way except maybe his fantasy owners. And even that is not entirely true because coach Ramsay gives everyone ice time and gives everyone the chance to produce. Bogosian himself is affecting his fantasy owners with bad play. If you don't produce your ice time will decrease and in some cases if you play a stretch of bad games (in Bogosian's case half a season plus more), you will be watching from the press box some nights. Mid way through last season was when we started to see the start of this decline. Before he becomes a fantasy play again, he has to become the reliable defensive zone stud that we once saw a glimpse of. His problem is his defensive game and it must get sorted out as soon as possible. I'll say this as nicely as possible, Bogosian has been mediocre in the defensive zone. He is a big physical defensemen with a ton of strength but doesn't seem to use it or know how to use it for that matter. He has to learn to not force the puck for an easy turnover, and not get rattled and make unpressured passes that lead to defensive and neutral zone turnovers. It's obviously still somewhat of a learning process for the 20 year old, and hopefully watching from the press box will give him a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Glad to find a fellow Falcons fan! Finally someone that shares my pain about that stupid playoff game. A NFC-leading 13-3 all for nothing... but anyways...

What's the deal with Anthony Stewart? What's his secret? I consider him the weirdest ascent to relevance since Sheldon Souray (still can't figure out that one). I traded him earlier this year for a mid-round pick in a prospect draft cashing in on his hot start but he hasn't really slowed down yet. WTF?
    It's sad that we went out like that after such a great season. The team can only learn from it and get better in the future.

Anthony Stewart has been a surprise to probably every Thrashers fan out there, myself included. I'll be the first to admit that I was a doubter when I first saw the opening night roster with Stewart making the lineup. I couldn't help but think he would be sent down to Chicago in a matter of a week, but time proved that I was wrongly mistaken. I think he proved that he can be a solid 3rd liner for most teams and right now he is probably suited best for that. However, on the Thrashers, he's been getting time with the 2nd line and sometimes even top line because of the lack of depth, different line combinations, and in some cases injuries. His strengths are his speed and his shot but he doesn't seem to take advantage of it by shooting more often. He's a bit streaky in terms of offensive production and sometimes goes cold for quite a bit. If he worked on his board play, and ability to control the puck, I believe he could develop into a very nice forward. It will be interesting to see if he reaches 20+ goals this season.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 25, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Sage

Really cool to have the perspective of a die hard fan! Is Bryan little gong to ever be atlanta's number one center? Love how hard he plays, but does he have the skillset to be the teams top pivot?
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Really cool to have the perspective of a die hard fan! Is Bryan little gong to ever be atlanta's number one center? Love how hard he plays, but does he have the skillset to be the teams top pivot?
    Bryan Little could very well be the number one center in Atlanta one day. He definitely has the talent and skillset. IMO, he is the best center on the Thrashers right now. He's one of the more well rounded centers that plays hard, backchecks, and brings 100% every night. Right now though, I'm not even sure who to consider the top center, or top line for that matter. Craig Ramsay hasn't really designated a top line. When asked about the top line, he usually says he just likes to split time evenly and give everyone a chance to play. I think this is partly because the Thrashers don't really have stand out forwards to throw right on the top line to actually consider it one. Everyone is pretty much on the same level. There is no real gap between their best player (whoever you want to argue that player is), and the players following him. Obviously, no matter what Ramsay says, everyone has to have a top line. On the depth chart, Peverley is listed as the top center, Little second. Peverley's average time on ice is 19:20, compared to Little's 17:32. Not really a big gap between TOI. The top center spot is anyones to take with no real competition just yet. Burmistrov should challenge for it in the future but no one really knows who it will be. Bryan Little has the tools for it and is definitely a candidate.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 25, 2011 at 7:05 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

A couple of updates from the Thrashers practice so far today + injury updates as well. (I'll most likely edit this same post with any more practice updates from today, if necessary, instead of making multiple posts)

(Reported by Chris Vivlamore)
    9:56am- Evander Kane on ice for start of Thrashers practice wearing yellow non-contact jersey.
    9:59am- Andrew Ladd and Tobias Enstrom not taking part in Thrashers practice Tuesday. Evander Kane left ice as session began.
    10:13am- Thrashers practice lines: 19-47-18, 45-10-22, 15-14-80, 36-8-27

UPDATE-

Evander Kane will not play Wednesday vs. Caps. Andrew Ladd questionable.
    Enstrom out 2-4 weeks, will miss All-Star Game

This is certainly not what the Thrashers need right now. Hopefully Enstrom recovers fully.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM.
    Go Jets Go

The Wolverine

Hey ASF,

I have read your view on Bogosian - nicely explained. However, given Enstrom's injury, do you think this will give him more opportunity (albeit short-term) to improve his play, and production? Would he be now on PP1 with Byfuglien?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Hey ASF,

I have read your view on Bogosian - nicely explained. However, given Enstrom's injury, do you think this will give him more opportunity (albeit short-term) to improve his play, and production? Would he be now on PP1 with Byfuglien?
    I think it definitely gives Bogosian more of an opportunity to step up and take command. He should easily get good minutes over the next couple of weeks, but it is up to him to make the most of it. It's up to him to show us if the Bogosian we know and love is back. With Enstrom out, the Thrashers defense grows weaker and I expect Ramsay to go to Bogosian a lot to give him the chance to prove himself. The pairings might look something like:
    Oduya-Byfuglien
    Hainsey-Bogosian
    Meyer-Sopel

I would personally like to see Arturs Kulda get the call up and play over Meyer.

This is a good question about the powerplay. As for the top powerplay unit, I'm not sure what Ramsay is going to do. I have a hunch that it might be Oduya manning the point along side Byfuglien. I expect Bogosian to get some powerplay time though, if not with the first unit. I'll keep you updated on this matter when the Thrashers face the Capitals tomorrow night.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; January 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM.
    Go Jets Go