Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Carolina Hurricanes

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    looks like the lines have been changed for tonight. jokinen is playing 4th line center and larose is back up with staal and cole.

but yeah whats the trade rumors with white. they keep saying something is going to happen.
    There's a thread on the White rumours in "General Hockey Chat". He who shall not be named has him going to Van so I think that we can rule that out. There was also speculation of a White-for-Dumont trade to Nashville, though I'm not sure that has any legs to either. I'm kind of surprised nothing happened yesterday actually. Must be awkward for White.

The Canes are in an interesting position of not really knowing whether to be buyers or sellers. It really could go either way so I think that the next few games might actually make a difference. If they're not going to make the playoffs, I think that moving Pitkanen would be the best idea. If they do make the playoffs though, they'll need Pitkanen as they're shallow on the back end in terms of top-four talent.

As for the lines, don't put too much stock into last night's. Jokinen was just being eased back into the line-up after missing six games with an injury. He won't be on the fourth line for very long. Given the Canes lack of offence last night (even if it was against the Devils), I wouldn't count on seeing Larose on the top line again either. In fact, that's the first time in a VERY long time that I can recall seeing him there. Once Jokinen is back at full speed I'd expect the lines to look like:

Samsonov - Staal - Cole
    Skinner - Ruutu - Larose
    Tlusty - Sutter - Jokinen
    Bodie - Dwyer - Samson/Carter/Boychuk/Dalpe/etc.

Again I thought that Samson looked good last night, with his ice time creeping up to around nine minutes (3 SOG). In particular, he had one solid battle down low behind the goal line, came out with the puck and drove to the front of the net for a quality scoring chance. I can see why he's been so successful in the AHL so far.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rod Brind'Amour

Canes legend Rod Brind'Amour is having his jersey raised to the banners today in Raleigh. Tune in to the game versus the Flyers if you're into that heart-touching stuff. In a classy move, I've heard that the Flyers will all be wearing No. 17's during warm-up.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading Days

So unless you've been living under a rock recently, you know that Ian White was moved to the Sharks last week. This kind of surprised me on the one hand, yet on the other hand makes a lot of sense.

The reason it surprised me was because, in my estimation, the Canes biggest weakness is their blue line. Until White was scratched and it was picked up on twitter, it had never occurred to me that the Canes would actually be shipping a defenceman out.

On the other hand, it made sense because White was being wasted as a third-pairing guy in Carolina. He wasn't seeing a tonne of PP time (Corvo hogs one spot and then there are McBain and Pitkanen in the mix for the other) and while he's a solid puck-mover from his own end, the Hurricanes have a few of those coming up through their system at the moment. Knocking on the door with some AHL experience are Carson, Rodney, Sanguinetti and now Joslin. A little further down the line, Dumoulin, Faulk and Biega are all excelling playing college puck. While none of these players are as experienced as White, if any one of them takes the next step in their development they will not be too far off from replacing him in the line-up.

I still think that if the Canes are serious about making/winning in the playoffs this year that they ought to pick up another blue-liner. The market seems high on puck-moving defenceman but, unlike most every other team in the mix, Carolina is actually set in this regard. What they need is another Gleason type. Someone dependable in their own zone that can give Ward some much-needed breathing room and an opportunity to see the puck without worrying so much about scrambles in front of him. Think guys like Smid, Hejda (though Howson said he's a "buyer"), Phillips (if he waives)... problem is, there aren't many sellers out there so not a lot of these types of players are even available. I suppose that you might add Bryan Allen to that list as well. Anyone else that you can think of?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today the Canes went out and made a move that I absolutely love in bringing Cory Stillman back into the fold. While he isn't having a fantastic year, he'll bring a solid veteran presence and much-needed playoff experience, with the upside of secondary scoring. In return for what... a guy that the Canes picked up off waivers and a fifth round pick? This is the definition of a no-brainer and I'd take this deal ten times out of ten.

It will be interesting to see where Mo slots him in. He probably gets an audition on the top line with Staal and Cole since that L1 LW slot has been musical chairs all season. I figure the lines will end up looking like this:

Stillman/Jokinen - Staal - Cole
    Skinner - Ruutu - Larose
    Jokinen/Stillman - Sutter - Tlusty
    Samsonov - Dwyer - Bodie

Corvo - Gleason
    Pitkanen - McBain
    Harrison - ? (Carson for now)

Unfortunately, that probably means Samson back to the A. I like what he brings to the table though and would bet that if the Canes make the playoffs that he's at least on the roster, even if he's scratched. Ultimately, it doesn't really make much of a difference since ol' Mo hardly uses his fourth line anyway.

Grab that steady defensive D-man and I am liking the looks of this roster... my only concern is that with Carter gone, Dwyer is kind of anchored to the fourth line, whereas before he and Tlusty were interchangeable on the third line depending on who was playing better. As long as Tlusty can a) keep up his solid play and b) stay healthy (for once) this won't be an issue.
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

News from the Hurricanes:

Fourth line still up in the air. Samson may stick after all. That means one of Bodie or Samsonov in the press box.

Looks like it might be Joslin in for Carson tonight. I suspect the Canes will experiment with that third pairing for a while before playoffs unless they find a more permanent solution.

Edit: Carson and Samson will be in the press box tonight.
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Interesting piece on how the Stillman trade marks the 20th time that Rutherford has re-acquired a player while at the helm of the Hurricanes: http://tinyurl.com/6xuyj48

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Staal Injured - Possible Concussion?

Heads up poolies!

Eric Staal was injured in last night's contest against the Pens. Paul Maurice "does not believe" that he was concussed but you never know...

Ruutu will centre the top line tonight, with Skinner at L2 C. Sutter's line will remain the same but expect a great deal of line juggling throughout!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Carson waived

Not really fantasy relevant but I'm surprised: the Canes have waived Brett Carson who must clear waivers to go down as he was not re-called under emergency conditions. Speculation is that Joslin is up for good now...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Bye bye Carson

Claimed by the Flames today.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Drayson Bowman

For those interested (which I am sure number in the many), Drayson Bowman has been called up by the Canes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kudelskis Krushers View Post
    For those interested (which I am sure number in the many), Drayson Bowman has been called up by the Canes...
    Hey, KK, what's the word on McBain?

Thanks, man!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey, KK, what's the word on McBain?

Thanks, man!
    There is no news that I can find as of yet. He had X-rays on his arm/wrist/shoulder (still unclear what he hurt exactly) but there was no mention of whether they were positive or negative. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Dobber Sports Expert

Hey there,
    any chance to get a lil insight on the top notch prospects of the Canes?

Would be especially intrested in Bowman, Faulk and Dumuloin.

Thanks in advance.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry KTL, I just saw this post. I'll have something for you by mid-week, unless you need the info earlier.

Briefly speaking, I wouldn't expect Bowman to get more than a few cups of coffee this year. He really didn't look very convincing during his call-up toward the end of last season and Dalpe has definitely leap-frogged him on the depth chart. I don't really see him being able to transition to a top-six role right away. In terms of the bottom six, the Canes added a few bodies that are capable of logging effective third/fourth line minutes and competition will be stiff from the fringes. Until Bowman has works to bulk up and increase his physical play, guys like Tlusty and Samson will have an edge over Bowman to be called up for a spot in the bottom six.

Dumoulin and Faulk both have quite a bit of work to do in the skating department. I wouldn't expect to see either for a while and I wouldn't expect Dumoulin's offence to translate to the NHL; he'll likely only be useful in deeper leagues (for example, I own him in the DTDL). Faulk's game looks like it could cross over but he's not even close to being as dynamic as Murphy and, of course, there's McBain already on the roster with Pitkanen and Kaberle.

Like I said before, I'll go into some more detail for you (and hopefully find some new info on these guys) in a subsequent post. As always, let me know if there is something specific that you would like to know.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd really be interested in your thoughts on the Canes' young players too, and what their roles will be with the team this yr as well as the future:

Boychuk: great AHL numbers, should get more ice time
    Terry: timetable? His numbers are good...
    Dalpe: Lots of hype - for real?
    McBain: great debut - decent full season. Does he have regular 45+ pt potential?
    Faulk: another big-hype guy...
    Joslin: looks like an NHLer...any decent point production?
    Dumoulin: don't know much

Maybe some ballpark regular point production projections...

Thanks!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kudelskis Krushers View Post
    Sorry KTL, I just saw this post. I'll have something for you by mid-week, unless you need the info earlier.

Briefly speaking, I wouldn't expect Bowman to get more than a few cups of coffee this year. He really didn't look very convincing during his call-up toward the end of last season and Dalpe has definitely leap-frogged him on the depth chart. I don't really see him being able to transition to a top-six role right away. In terms of the bottom six, the Canes added a few bodies that are capable of logging effective third/fourth line minutes and competition will be stiff from the fringes. Until Bowman has works to bulk up and increase his physical play, guys like Tlusty and Samson will have an edge over Bowman to be called up for a spot in the bottom six.

Dumoulin and Faulk both have quite a bit of work to do in the skating department. I wouldn't expect to see either for a while and I wouldn't expect Dumoulin's offence to translate to the NHL; he'll likely only be useful in deeper leagues (for example, I own him in the DTDL). Faulk's game looks like it could cross over but he's not even close to being as dynamic as Murphy and, of course, there's McBain already on the roster with Pitkanen and Kaberle.

Like I said before, I'll go into some more detail for you (and hopefully find some new info on these guys) in a subsequent post. As always, let me know if there is something specific that you would like to know.
    Thanks for the answer mate. I´m really looking forward into a in depth anlysis. So far i´m kinda shocked to not hear good things about those three especially on Faul, i was very high on him and really penciled him in as a solid guy in 2 years. Seems like i need to rethink that assumption.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.