Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Carolina Hurricanes

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default D Pairings

In case anyone is interested, the Canes pairings seem to be set in stone now as they haven't changed since Pitkanen's return to the line-up, except for when Gleason got the game misconduct against the Leafs. Anyway, here they are:

Gleason - Corvo
    Pitkanen - McBain
    Harrison - White

Corvo and Pitkanen are getting the PP1 duties, with White and McBain getting spot duty here and there.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default New Investors Expected Soon

Beat-writer Chip Alexander had a chance to chat with Canes owner Peter Karmanos recently (here's the article: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ring-investors). The gist of it is that Karmanos is looking to sell somewhere in the ballpark of forty-nine percent of the ownership of the team, which he currently wholly owns. The articles suggests that Karmanos' preference is to attract investors from the Raleigh area and that a realistic time-line is three to six months.

Why do we care? The Canes spending has been kept at a minimum with the hope of attracting investors to the team. Perhaps an influx of minority owners will bring some additional money to be spent on payroll!

Also, Karmanos said in another interview that he's been happy with the team's recent play, though he had expected them to be higher up in the standings at this point in the season. When asked whether he would be willing to take on salary at the trade deadline if the team was in playoff contention, he indicated that he would increase the payroll if the team was competitive and the right deal came along. Given that the team has fairly good system depth at every position, the Canes could afford to package to deal prospects/picks for a player that could have an impact more immediately. Good news for Canes fans and, more importantly, fantasy owners!
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; January 30, 2011 at 2:41 AM.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Hurricanes Tickets

Hey Guys,

I was walking through Costco the other day and I saw that they have Canes tickets on display in the store. Did anyone else see this??

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysilv2 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I was walking through Costco the other day and I saw that they have Canes tickets on display in the store. Did anyone else see this??
    Weird, was there a discount for buying in bulk?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Canes vs. Bruins

Just hopping on quickly to comment on this game as it progresses.

First
    - Dwyer is back in the line-up and looked good early
    - All Canes early but they couldn't capitalize.
    - Ward looks good, as usual

Lines: Samsonov - Staal - Cole, Skinner - Ruutu - Larose, Dwyer - Sutter - Jokinen, Tlusty - Carter - Bodie

Second
    - Bruins scored on a nice tip by Paille.
    - Jokinen left the game and may not return! Skinner to get more PP time.
    - Skinner with a couple of nice hits so far. Maybe had Wheeler a little bit nervous, which resulted in Wheelers putting the puck over the glass.
    - Canes 0/3 on the PP.
    - McBain goal! Jumped the rush and got an easy tip in off a nice feed from Samsonov. Fabulous decision to jump the rush and gamble (unlike Schenn's decision in the Leafs game, which directly led to a Panthers goal).

Lines: Samsonov-Staal-Cole, Skinner-Ruutu-Larose, Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer, Bodie-Carter-x

Third
    - Missed the start while getting dinner. Came back, was just getting settled and in the time that it took me to eat a single taco, Boston scores twice. Ouch. First goal was Horton's and came off some good work down low. The second goal (Bergeron's) was a bit of a fluke.
    - Canes back on the PP!
    - Finally! The PP connects with Corvo's 7th point in his past six as he blasts the shot from the point that deflects off Seidenberg's knee and beats Thomas to his left. Corvo is red-hot right now.
    - This is the best game I've seen McBain play in quite some time. He's looking very confident tonight.
    - What's new? Sutter's line gets an odd-man opportunity with Tlusty hitting the post on the 2-on-1 pass from Sutter.
    - Tim Thomas is amazing. I can't believe that this game isn't tied right now.

I really feel that the Canes deserved at least a point tonight. Solid effort. Losing Jokinen no doubt hurt quite a bit. All in all, a tough loss but at least Atlanta lost to the Islanders so the Canes didn't lose any ground.
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

[QUOTE=Kudelskis Krushers;643261]Two years ago I set a goal for myself: to see a game in each of the NHL's thirty cities. So far I have been to Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Florida. QUOTE]

Sami, great to have Carolina feedback. Picked up Ruutu for the stretch run, do you think he'll keep up this great 64-point pace he's on? I'm hoping that his being used as the PP net presence continues on, that would be big for me - udging by the box score tonight, next to Staal it's Ruutu Skinner and Cole with most forward PP time.

So you live in Ottawa, but you haven't seen a Habs game yet? Do it quickly and cross off another on your to do list!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Picked up Ruutu for the stretch run, do you think he'll keep up this great 64-point pace he's on? I'm hoping that his being used as the PP net presence continues on, that would be big for me
    He's getting great ice time and his line brings energy every game, for sure. I have some hesitation in predicting that their current pace will continue though. How realistic is it to expect that Skinner keeps up his pace as a rookie? Keep in mind that over three quarters of Ruutu's points have come while Skinner is on the ice. (As an aside: if anyone knows a site that calculates how many of Ruutu's points came on goals where Skinner also got a point, I would really appreciate learning how to acquire that knowledge.)

Ruutu plays forty-five percent of the Canes' PP, which adds up to an average of about three minutes per game. Even with Jokinen out of the line-up though, Ruutu didn't see a huge increase. Skinner was the biggest beneficiary in terms of PP TOI as it's normally he and Jokinen that switch places on the half-wall for the Canes PP (though Jokinen had more recently started curling to the net a lot more). Cole and Ruutu were alternating in front of the net last night with the two of them almost equal in ice time at three and a half minutes.

With this in mind, the opportunity and skill is certainly there for his 64-point pace to continue. With all the variables involved, however, I think that a slight dip is reasonable. I'd look for something between 55-60.

Edit: I just checked the mid-season guide and, lo and behold, Dobber has Ruutu pegged for 61 so maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    So you live in Ottawa, but you haven't seen a Habs game yet? Do it quickly and cross off another on your to do list!
    Believe me, it's been next on the list since I moved here in the fall! If you know a good place to scoop tickets, let me know as I've been dying to get out to the Bell Centre.
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Dobber's Take

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Breaking News

Jokinen must be more seriously injured than previously thought. Zach Boychuk has been recalled from Charlotte.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Kudelskis Krushers View Post
    He's getting great ice time and his line brings energy every game, for sure. I have some hesitation in predicting that their current pace will continue though. How realistic is it to expect that Skinner keeps up his pace as a rookie? Keep in mind that over three quarters of Ruutu's points have come while Skinner is on the ice. (As an aside: if anyone knows a site that calculates how many of Ruutu's points came on goals where Skinner also got a point, I would really appreciate learning how to acquire that knowledge.)

Ruutu plays forty-five percent of the Canes' PP, which adds up to an average of about three minutes per game. Even with Jokinen out of the line-up though, Ruutu didn't see a huge increase. Skinner was the biggest beneficiary in terms of PP TOI as it's normally he and Jokinen that switch places on the half-wall for the Canes PP (though Jokinen had more recently started curling to the net a lot more). Cole and Ruutu were alternating in front of the net last night with the two of them almost equal in ice time at three and a half minutes.

With this in mind, the opportunity and skill is certainly there for his 64-point pace to continue. With all the variables involved, however, I think that a slight dip is reasonable. I'd look for something between 55-60.

Edit: I just checked the mid-season guide and, lo and behold, Dobber has Ruutu pegged for 61 so maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Believe me, it's been next on the list since I moved here in the fall! If you know a good place to scoop tickets, let me know as I've been dying to get out to the Bell Centre.

Thanks Sami! Rep for you.

Regarding Habs tickets, always tough to get those without paying big bucks. I have a buddy who owns a company that has nice seats in the reds, so once in awhile he'll sell me a pair of those at face value, but living in NYC I can't even take advantage of that all that often. So usually, if I really want to go, I pay through the nose like everyone else.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Jussi Jokinen Injury Update

According to Canes writer Paul Branecky, Paul Maurice is saying that the Jokinen's injury is a re-aggravation of the injury he sustained in December that caused him to miss six games. Rutherford said that, based on today's tests, he expects Jokinen to miss one to two weeks.

Poor timing for such a key player to suffer an injury. Just before last game Jokinen was quoted as saying that he thought the Canes would make the playoffs if they stayed healthy, at which point he looked around and found some wood to knock. Oops.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Corvo en fuego

He's been red-hot lately with 2G, 13A, 11 PPP, 44 SOG over the past sixteen games. And he's only 41%-owned in Yahoo leagues.

Here's a nice piece on his turn-around: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=551427
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM.

The Magnificent One

I have him in one league so lets hope he isnt out too long but if he is out for an extended time who directly will this hurt and who will it help.

i dont know lines but i guess this means they will be looking to staal for even more which could be good or bad.

i guess dwyer is going to get alot more time?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    if he is out for an extended time who directly will this hurt and who will it help.

i dont know lines but i guess this means they will be looking to staal for even more which could be good or bad.

i guess dwyer is going to get alot more time?
    I can't see any way that Jokinen out of the line-up will affect Staal. They have recently only been playing together on the PP so removing him from the line-up shouldn't have much of an effect.

Without Dwyer, the lines were:

Boychuk/Samsonov-Staal-Cole
    Skinner-Ruutu-Larose
    Samsonov/Tlusty-Sutter-Jokinen
    Tlusty/Boychuk-Carter-Bodie

Now that Dwyer is back from injury, I suspect that you can simply plug him into Jokinen's spot. Once Jokinen went down with injury, the third line was Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer. Granted, Boychuk wasn't in the line-up. I can only really see this going two ways:

1) Boychuk-Staal-Cole/Skinner-Ruutu-Larose/Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer/Samsonov-Carter-Bodie

2) Samsonov-Staal-Cole/Skinner-Ruutu-Larose/Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer/Boychuk-Carter-Bodie

Given how Maurice has handled Boychuk so far, I'd count on 1 and 2 both being used depending on how comfortable he is with Boychuk's play.

Who this helps the most:
    Boychuk - now in the NHL
    Skinner - will likely inherit Jokinen's PP time
    Tlusty - possible promotion

Who this hurts the most:
    Sutter and Dwyer - lost their most talented linemate
    Ward, team's plus/minus - lost puck possession from checking line

Edit: Wasn't very clear. When healthy, the third line would normally look like Dwyer-Sutter-Jokinen, which is why I don't see this as an increased opportunity for Dwyer.
    Last edited by Kudelskis Krushers; February 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I know, I know. It's been ages since my last post. I was sick and then work got in the way. Few quick thoughts:

1) Lines were mixed up last game (versus rival Atlanta) after Dalpe and Samson were recalled.

Samsonov-Staal-Cole
    Skinner-Ruutu-Sutter
    Tlusty - Dwyer - Larose
    Bodie - Dalpe - Samson

Big winner here is Sutter. Big loser is Larose. I wouldn't read too much into this though as I'm sure these lines will be changing.

2) Dalpe was invisible in this one (and sent back down soon after). Samson played a solid game. Despite seeing limited ice time I thought he was noticeable. Looking at the score sheet he had 2 SOG, and one of them was a quality chance. Wouldn't be surprised to see him finally get a bit more of a shot. The true test (as to how long he'll be around and whether he gets promoted) will be how good he is defensively.

3) I'll say it again: the Canes are not good enough on D to be taken seriously. I like their puck-moving ability from the back-end but even then, Pitkanen is prone to gaffes from time-to-time. Further, as with last game versus Atlanta, they just get worked in tight around their own goal. Ward was fabulous but he needs more help dealing with the big bodies in front of him.

4) Internet is abuzz with rumours that Ian White is being moved. He was healthy scratched today. Brett Carson got the call from Charlotte.

5) Not sure if Dobber covered this in his division breakdown but I could also see Pitkanen being moved as he's UFA at the end of the year and it's unclear whether he'll stick with the Canes long term. He's been far too inconsistent this year...

The Magnificent One

looks like the lines have been changed for tonight. jokinen is playing 4th line center and larose is back up with staal and cole.

but yeah whats the trade rumors with white. they keep saying something is going to happen.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi