Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Metaldude's Power Chords] Reilly Smith

Administrator

Default [Metaldude's Power Chords] Reilly Smith

Reilly Smith is one of the best prospects you know nothing about. Drafted by the Dallas Stars 69th overall in ’09, Smith was a prospect many teams were hoping to steal. He floated under the radar having not played major junior, opting to save his NCAA eligibility. Following his draft year, Smith went on to play a satisfactory freshman season at Miami (Ohio), scoring 20 points in 44 games. Now in his sophomore season, Smith has improved his play considerably notching 16 goals and 32 points through 25 games. His play earned him an invite to Canada’s World Junior Selection Camp, ahead of fellow Stars prospect Scott Glennie, among others.

The first thing that you’ll notice about Smith is his skating. Smith is a strong skater with good speed, excellent agility and some slick hands to boot. Smith is equal parts playmaker and sniper. He possesses a lethal wrist shot but also has the vision to make plays. Smith’s strongest attribute is his hockey IQ. Coaches praise his ability to play any role asked of him and the high level on which he thinks the game. His calling card is offence though, and you have to love that.

The biggest knock on Smith is his size. He’s cut from a similar mould as Kyle Turris: Nice frame but fills out shirts like a coat hanger. At 6’0” and only 170 lbs. Smith struggles in heavy traffic. He really could stand to put on some muscle.

Genetics work in Smith’s favour, in this regard. It’s a little known fact that Reilly is the younger brother of Detroit’s blue chip blue-line prospect Brendan Smith. Reilly certainly shares Brendan’s hockey sense and one hopes that he can fill out in a similar fashion as Brendan. Brendan was drafted at 6’1” 170 lbs but has filled out to a strapping 6’2” 195 lbs. A similar progression would have us poolies licking our chops much like we are with Brendan.

Track Smith closely next season to see how he does without high scoring seniors Carter Camper and Andy Miele. Smith is still a couple years from making the leap to the NHL but he is a burgeoning collegiate scorer with plenty of upside. If you have time to wait he makes a great flyer as he climbs the Stars depth chart.

As always, this was originally posted on my sports blog: http://stevelaidlawsports.blogspot.com/ Check that out if you like what you've seen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Great read! Too bad he's taken in all of my three leagues... Since I'm a win now type, I'll probably just keep an eye on him until he's ready to make the dance and then pounce.

Thanks MD
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Administrator

Must be some deep leagues, he's not owned in any of mine. I'm a win now type too so he could well end up on my squads soon as I go through my annual selling of the farm.

Yeah, when I refer to my leagues, it's my 3 (soon to be 4 in 11/12) Dynasty leagues. One of the leagues actually reached 2000+ players & prospects (database last updated Jan 17th at 1999 players).

So yeah it is of no surprise that a 69th overall pick in 2009 is picked up.

But I realize the leagues that I'm in are not in the majority.

GMG
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Very nice, thanks. Prospect scouting is my fantasy hockey weakness for sure and your power chords are becoming very valuable.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by A Watch View Post
    Very nice, thanks. Prospect scouting is my fantasy hockey weakness for sure and your power chords are becoming very valuable.
    That's awesome, I'm glad you are enjoying them as I am enjoying writing them. My aim is to pick off prospects no one is really knows much about or is really thinking too much about. Maybe this gives people some sleepers to start watching, or allows them to make a savvy pickup or draft choice or better yet acquire a good one for cheap before he blows up.

I'm always available to talk shop if you are looking at a particular player but maybe want to hear another opinion. I don't want to call myself an expert but talking prospects is easily the most fun aspect of fantasy hockey for me.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Owned in all my leagues as well... good write-up though.

MD, you should join one of our leagues

is there still a spot in the UHL?

Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    MD, you should join one of our leagues

is there still a spot in the UHL?

Can make a spot :P

Should be an opening after roll-call. I just filled the other one like 3 days ago.

Administrator

Is that the league you guys are doing with Shakedown?

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Is that the league you guys are doing with Shakedown?
    Yea he's my co-commish.

Administrator

Isn't that a salary cap league?

Isn't that a salary cap league?
    Yes. You don't do cap leagues?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Yes. You don't do cap leagues?
    Good lord no. I'm great at math and have no problem with the nuances, in fact I think it's a really cool wrinkle but I absolutely refuse REFUSE to pay the price for the stupid ass contracts that NHL GMs give out. It's something that irritates me to no end as is so the last thing I want to do is have to look at some albatross contract on my roster.

Count me out of this one. I would love to do a league with you guys though. I'm already in a few leagues with Shake and he's pretty kick ass, would be awesome to get in with some of the other "giants" here at Dobber.

Good lord no. I'm great at math and have no problem with the nuances, in fact I think it's a really cool wrinkle but I absolutely refuse REFUSE to pay the price for the stupid ass contracts that NHL GMs give out. It's something that irritates me to no end as is so the last thing I want to do is have to look at some albatross contract on my roster.

Count me out of this one. I would love to do a league with you guys though. I'm already in a few leagues with Shake and he's pretty kick ass, would be awesome to get in with some of the other "giants" here at Dobber.
    Don't draft albatross contracts then haha.

Fair enough though man.

I'm not in a single keeper which is non-cap so I guess I'm just accustomed to it.