Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Nabokov Novelle

The King of Diatribes

Really? Borderline ******ed?

Bourne isn't a goalie. He never played in the NHL. I'm pretty sure everyone that read the article knew this. Including himself. But it's a hell of a lot more relatable than any insight I could bring to the table. I never played pro, but I have just as valuable insight as he does, minus the experience.

It's time to stop giving Nabokov the benefit of the doubt just because he's capable of executing his own free will. Get over that. Everyone knows he can do whatever the hell he wants. That's what it means to be a human being.

Regardless of how much money he has, regardless of his own personal pride, regardless of what he thinks is right or wrong, he's making a mistake by not reporting.

Nobody cares what a goalie did in the past. It's all about "what have you done for me lately" in the NHL. Who cares if he was a Vezina candidate? What does that mean RIGHT NOW?? A goaltender must work every day at proving himself and improving himself. I don't see Nabokov doing anything like that at all.

Nabokov can sit on his ass and do nothing and feel good about staying strong on his sense of self-righteousness, but is it getting him anywhere? Nope. It's only making things worse.

Bourne may not be the ultimate relatable case, but calling it borderline ******ed is WRONG and comes off like you have a personal issue with his work. If you think his comments and insight are that ignorant, it leads me to believe that you think mine are even worse.

FORGET THE PERSONAL ASPECT OF THE SITUATION. Nobody is discrediting the human element of the decision-making process. EVERYONE knows that already. It was the first dynamic that came out of the entire dilemma.

The decision is and always was up to Nabby to report. He has the right to do whatever he wants. We get it. I get it. Everyone gets it.

Look at it from a WIDER PERSPECTIVE. His reputation is destroyed. He's not playing. He's rusty. Nobody wants him anymore.

Now look at his options. He basically has none. The NHL could toll the contract and he could be stuck with the Islanders for the entire next season. Could you imagine if he didn't report again???? His career or any chance of making the NHL would be over.

Great non-move by a guy who has been only making things worse as each day goes by. Suck it up and go play some freakin' hockey already.

I recently sent out this tweet a few days ago:

"I wonder who will play their next NHL game first - Emery or Nabokov? I'll go with the guy that's working harder than the other."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Really? Borderline ******ed?

Bourne isn't a goalie. He never played in the NHL. I'm pretty sure everyone that read the article knew this. Including himself. But it's a hell of a lot more relatable than any insight I could bring to the table. I never played pro, but I have just as valuable insight as he does, minus the experience.

It's time to stop giving Nabokov the benefit of the doubt just because he's capable of executing his own free will. Get over that. Everyone knows he can do whatever the hell he wants. That's what it means to be a human being.

Regardless of how much money he has, regardless of his own personal pride, regardless of what he thinks is right or wrong, he's making a mistake by not reporting.

Nobody cares what a goalie did in the past. It's all about "what have you done for me lately" in the NHL. Who cares if he was a Vezina candidate? What does that mean RIGHT NOW?? A goaltender must work every day at proving himself and improving himself. I don't see Nabokov doing anything like that at all.

Nabokov can sit on his ass and do nothing and feel good about staying strong on his sense of self-righteousness, but is it getting him anywhere? Nope. It's only making things worse.

Bourne may not be the ultimate relatable case, but calling it borderline ******ed is WRONG and comes off like you have a personal issue with his work. If you think his comments and insight are that ignorant, it leads me to believe that you think mine are even worse.

FORGET THE PERSONAL ASPECT OF THE SITUATION. Nobody is discrediting the human element of the decision-making process. EVERYONE knows that already. It was the first dynamic that came out of the entire dilemma.

The decision is and always was up to Nabby to report. He has the right to do whatever he wants. We get it. I get it. Everyone gets it.

Look at it from a WIDER PERSPECTIVE. His reputation is destroyed. He's not playing. He's rusty. Nobody wants him anymore.

Now look at his options. He basically has none. The NHL could toll the contract and he could be stuck with the Islanders for the entire next season. Could you imagine if he didn't report again???? His career or any chance of making the NHL would be over.

Great non-move by a guy who has been only making things worse as each day goes by. Suck it up and go play some freakin' hockey already.

I recently sent out this tweet a few days ago:

"I wonder who will play their next NHL game first - Emery or Nabokov? I'll go with the guy that's working harder than the other."
    Yeah dude, its completely ****ing ******ed, and I never said anything about him being a goalie, dont put words in my mouth please...what I said was that it was presumptuous for a career minor leaguer (and only 3 years at that) to try to compare his experiences with that of an NHL vet, the two are intrinsically different situations for more reasons than I can be bothered listing. I dunno if he's a buddy of yours or what but he needs to get over himself because its silly. I'm a computer programmer, and a damn good one at that, but you wouldn't hear me walking around comparing my own perosnal situation to that of Bill Gates or someone like that who has played the game at the ultimate level and prospered.

What I'm fed up with is having to hear you, Jason Bourne and every other monday morning QB chime in nostop on what Nabby SHOULD be doing, or how he's making a HUGE MISTAKE by choosing not to report. Its bullshit because you're applying your OWN judgments and motivations to a situation that doesn't apply to you in the slightest. If it was YOU perosnally who was in Nabby's shoes at the moment, never having played in the NHL and you we're refusing to report to the Isles I'd call you an idiot and agree with all this silly speculation because its a completely different dynamic. When you're trying to make the pros you gotta do everything you can, but as an established pro you have tons of options. Is he probably screwing up any options he might have in the NHL? Probably, but so what, he can retire comfortably if he wants, he can go play in Europe, he could become a goalie coach or he could sell ****ing insurance, it doesn't matter. Stop assuming you know what is best for someone who you've never met and who's motivations are unknown to you because it makes you come off as presumptuous as Bourne

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have to agree with mister mcgoo. I believe the only reason why Nabokov's rep is being tarnished is because of people misjudging his own perspective and substituting in their own. You can't just disregard the "human" aspect of this situation.

McGoo, I agreed w/ you - Nabokov, as an adult male, has every right to act like a selfish douche bag. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

He's already bailed on the NHL, bailed on his KHL team, decided he wanted back in the NHL, and then bailed on the team that rightfully claimed him...all while staying in Russia.

You can make all the excuses in the world for the guy, but the facts speak for themselves.

EDIT: btw...I have nothing to say re what he should or should not be doing. My point is only he's squandering opportunities left and right - which he's entitled to do. But....as we all do as adults...he's made his bed and now must lie in it. As such, I have absolutely no sympathy for him either.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; January 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM.
    @SmittysRant

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Yeah dude, its completely ****ing ******ed, and I never said anything about him being a goalie, dont put words in my mouth please...what I said was that it was presumptuous for a career minor leaguer (and only 3 years at that) to try to compare his experiences with that of an NHL vet, the two are intrinsically different situations for more reasons than I can be bothered listing. I dunno if he's a buddy of yours or what but he needs to get over himself because its silly. I'm a computer programmer, and a damn good one at that, but you wouldn't hear me walking around comparing my own perosnal situation to that of Bill Gates or someone like that who has played the game at the ultimate level and prospered.

What I'm fed up with is having to hear you, Jason Bourne and every other monday morning QB chime in nostop on what Nabby SHOULD be doing, or how he's making a HUGE MISTAKE by choosing not to report. Its bullshit because you're applying your OWN judgments and motivations to a situation that doesn't apply to you in the slightest. If it was YOU perosnally who was in Nabby's shoes at the moment, never having played in the NHL and you we're refusing to report to the Isles I'd call you an idiot and agree with all this silly speculation because its a completely different dynamic. When you're trying to make the pros you gotta do everything you can, but as an established pro you have tons of options. Is he probably screwing up any options he might have in the NHL? Probably, but so what, he can retire comfortably if he wants, he can go play in Europe, he could become a goalie coach or he could sell ****ing insurance, it doesn't matter. Stop assuming you know what is best for someone who you've never met and who's motivations are unknown to you because it makes you come off as presumptuous as Bourne
    I don't even get what you're saying anymore. You just seem bitter about Bourne's article. Why do you care so much about what other people have to say about Nabokov's decision? Everyone has an opinion on Nabokov's decision. That's our right to analyze the situation and give our thoughts on what we think is right or wrong. Just like it's your right to say he can make whatever kind of stubborn or wrong decision he wants.

I've understood that retort SINCE THE GET-GO. Nabby can do whatever he wants. He can be as stubborn as he wants. He feels he's proven himself. OK. Duh. I get it. I've said two or three times now to look past the whole personal aspect and focus on the purpose of my original analysis. The logic is very simple, yet you keep going back to the same exact aspect of free will.

Step A: Nabokov wants to play in the NHL again
    Step B: He signs a deal with the Red Wings
    Step C: Isles put in a waiver claim and this angers Nabby
    Step D: In order to get back into an NHL game, Nabby needs to report
    Step E: Nabokov doesn't report

Because of these steps, as a goalie analyst, I present the facts and discuss how Nabokov's DECISION, when it comes to OPPORTUNITY, is a mistake. I throw in my opinion for sure, but I also make sure to point out that I don't care about his personal motivations, his purpose for NOT reporting, or his personal life. He is free to do what he wants. You even agreed with me in your reply above:

"Is he probably screwing up any options he might have in the NHL? Probably, but so what, he can retire comfortably if he wants, he can go play in Europe, he could become a goalie coach or he could sell ****ing insurance, it doesn't matter."

EXACTLY. That's EXACTLY what I've been saying and I've never presumed to know anything more about Nabokov's personal situation. I don't even care about it!

Again, let me reiterate, I don't care what's best for NABOKOV THE PERSON. I care only about providing insight on what's best for NABOKOV TO GET BACK INTO THE NHL.

The sooner you understand that, the sooner you will realize it's kind of silly to get so upset about me providing my thoughts on the situation. What do you want me to say? People want to know what kind of impact this has on his future in the NHL. Since the beginning, I've said his stubborn actions are a mistake and only closes windows of opportunity.

I don't need to know Nabokov personally to chime in with my opinion on how I think it's a mistake. This is what I do, I analyze situations. If you think I'm a monday morning QB for saying what I'm saying, then you obviously just disagree, which is fine.

There's no need to get upset at me for projecting my own opinions on the situation. I understand you're upset about all these other people for suggesting what he should or should not do. But I've been providing analysis and opinions on goalies on here for a long time. This is the one place you have to expect to see stuff like this. You have a right to be upset, but no need to attack me for what I say.

Banned

I don't even get what you're saying anymore. You just seem bitter about Bourne's article. Why do you care so much about what other people have to say about Nabokov's decision? Everyone has an opinion on Nabokov's decision. That's our right to analyze the situation and give our thoughts on what we think is right or wrong. Just like it's your right to say he can make whatever kind of stubborn or wrong decision he wants.
    Absolutely, that was never at question here, at least not in my mind...these are hockey forums for discussing the finer points of the game and particular fantasy hockey. You can speculate all you want and post whatever articles you want and that is absolutely your prerogative, why would I have a problem with that? But I am equally entitled to call bullshit on either you or said articles if I don't agree with them, that's all that's happening here dude, and in this case its absolutely not personal, or any reflection on you, I just think that Bourne article was presumptuous and poorly written.

I've understood that retort SINCE THE GET-GO. Nabby can do whatever he wants. He can be as stubborn as he wants. He feels he's proven himself. OK. Duh. I get it. I've said two or three times now to look past the whole personal aspect and focus on the purpose of my original analysis. The logic is very simple, yet you keep going back to the same exact aspect of free will.

Step A: Nabokov wants to play in the NHL again
    Step B: He signs a deal with the Red Wings
    Step C: Isles put in a waiver claim and this angers Nabby
    Step D: In order to get back into an NHL game, Nabby needs to report
    Step E: Nabokov doesn't report
    No see you're still missing the full picture here and assuming my argument is solely based on Nabby's free choice in the matter. Yes that is a point I have argued vehemently on the Nabby topic, but I have done so because of all the misinformation that has been spread on the subject, both thru these threads on Dobber and the various blogs and sports media out there. Shit like people saying that Nabby 'bailed on his KHL contract and left his team hanging' or that by not reporting to the Isles he 'was once again not honoring something he had signed'...that shit is just patently false and it unfairly portrays the situation and the league rules so of course I take exception with it. But its not the full picture and your little list of 5 things suggests you still don't understand, specifically: Step A: Nabokov wants to play in the NHL again. I think right there is where you go off the tracks actually, I don't believe his motivation was ever simply to 'play in the NHL again'. I believe his motivation was to play for Detroit, or Philly or Chicago, etc...not the Isles, the Oilers, etc and that once it was clear that was not going to happen, the other steps all became irrelevant. And he's certainly showing no signs of changing his mind so why continue to argue this point when it seems to have become moot?

Again, let me reiterate, I don't care what's best for NABOKOV THE PERSON. I care only about providing insight on what's best for NABOKOV TO GET BACK INTO THE NHL.
    And you've presented that argument ad nauseum, thank you. If he wants to play in the NHL he needs to suck it up and report, we get it dude, we got that from day 1. I think its hilarious that you rip on me for repeating myself over and over when you've done the same thing -lol. I mean really, what more is there to be said on the topic beyond what you said initially? I beleive you assessed it correctly from the get go as far as presenting what course of action was best for his future career in the NHL. Were you his agent or something I can see how you'd keep pushing it, working hard to get that commission but otherwise I just don't understand the motivation, sorry.

There's no need to get upset at me for projecting my own opinions on the situation. I understand you're upset about all these other people for suggesting what he should or should not do. But I've been providing analysis and opinions on goalies on here for a long time. This is the one place you have to expect to see stuff like this. You have a right to be upset, but no need to attack me for what I say.
    Who's upset? Who's attacking anyone? Don't misunderstand me here, I definitely disagree with you but I respect the argument you are making, I'm just eager for you to add a new wrinkle to it instead of chanting the same mantra over an over...like for example, he's not going to report so how bout some speculation on how this plays out this season and the next? Do the Isles let him rot? Can the NHLPA intervene on his behalf if this goes on too long? Will the stupid waiver rule be changed this offseason and if so will it be applied retroactively?

Dobber Sports Wizard

"Will the stupid waiver rule be changed this offseason and if so will it be applied retroactively?"

What makes this waiver rule stupid?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    "Will the stupid waiver rule be changed this offseason and if so will it be applied retroactively?"

What makes this waiver rule stupid?
    because at the end of the 09-10 season Nabokov became an Unrestricted Free Agent...what does the word 'unrestricted' mean to you? To me it means you can sign where you want without restriction, not be forced to go thru waivers just because you chose to spend a year in another league, that's why its stupid

Dobber Sports Superstar

because at the end of the 09-10 season Nabokov became an Unrestricted Free Agent...what does the word 'unrestricted' mean to you? To me it means you can sign where you want without restriction, not be forced to go thru waivers just because you chose to spend a year in another league, that's why its stupid
    That's the problem. He didn't actually spend the whole year in another league. Had he actually spent a year in another league, then when he came back in the offseason he would still be an Unrestricted Free Agent. The rule being stupid is simply your opinion based on an incomplete understanding of the rules and why they are in place.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    That's the problem. He didn't actually spend the whole year in another league. Had he actually spent a year in another league, then when he came back in the offseason he would still be an Unrestricted Free Agent. The rule being stupid is simply your opinion based on an incomplete understanding of the rules and why they are in place.
    Well then please do enlighten us as to why this is a "good" rule then. Why a player who is a UFA and not under contract from a khl team should have to pass thru waivers?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Incorrect. He was a UFA until he signed KHL contract.

The rule exists to prevent teams from stacking up on Euro talent at the deadline and thus not pushing 4th liners to the press box or AHL. It exists to protect the players. It was an NHLPA clause not a GM clause.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.

Banned

Incorrect. He was a UFA until he signed KHL contract.

The rule exists to prevent teams from stacking up on Euro talent at the deadline and thus not pushing 4th liners to the press box or AHL. It exists to protect the players. It was an NHLPA clause not a GM clause.
    I never said otherwise dude, I'm not sure what you are arguing here...he became a UFA, no one signed him, he signed a 4 year contract with the KHL which was then mutually terminated by both parties. So he is no longer under contract to anyone, he's a free agent in the purest sense of the term, why should he be prohibited from signing with whomever he chooses at this point? Again I'd ask you to really put this in terms you can relate to in your own jobs and ask if it makes a shred of sense, it does not

Dobber Sports Wizard

I never said otherwise dude, I'm not sure what you are arguing here...he became a UFA, no one signed him, he signed a 4 year contract with the KHL which was then mutually terminated by both parties. So he is no longer under contract to anyone, he's a free agent in the purest sense of the term, why should he be prohibited from signing with whomever he chooses at this point? Again I'd ask you to really put this in terms you can relate to in your own jobs and ask if it makes a shred of sense, it does not
    He is not a UFA when he returns from Europe midseason. That's what I'm saying. He's a restricted free agent because the rules say he's subject to and restricted by the waiver system when he signs with a team.

He is not prohibited from signing with anyone. I never said that. He is free to sign where ever he chooses. He chose Detroit. He then went on waivers and ended up not being able to get to Detroit.

Relating to my job - I'm a free agent all the time in the sense that I do contract work. When I sign a contract I have to honor that contract. Sometimes, like Nabby I do need to get out of the contract for what ever reason and like him I would go about it as mutually as I can. I don't have waivers, but waivers or not a contract is a contract and one is subject to the terms of the agreement one makes. He CHOSE to sign a contract to would place him on waivers and put him in a situation where any team could claim him.

I've said from the start I support all decisions made in this deal. Detroit had a right to sign him, New York had a right to claim him and Nabby has a right to not play.

You keep saying he should be able to sign and play where he chooses, but he couldn't and he can't without first honoring the terms of this deal which is to play 30 odd games on the Island.

He's choosing to not play, that's fine. He's 35 years old and can do as he likes, but he still has to follow the rules. Doesn't he? Otherwise what is to stop any player from ending his contract and demanding to play anywhere he wants?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Banned

He is not a UFA when he returns from Europe midseason. That's what I'm saying. He's a restricted free agent because the rules say he's subject to and restricted by the waiver system when he signs with a team.
    again you and I are in complete agreement here, nothing you've said so far am I really in opposition to. The only thing I take exception to is the rule that forces him to clear waivers just because he came back from the KHL mid-season...like I said put this in terms of your own job...I used to contract too, I always tried to complete my contracts obviously, that's just good business sense, but there were a few times I had to get out of them early for various reasons...I was always able to work out a mutually agreeable severance (usually by slotting in a colleague friend of mine and taking a week to transition him onto the project). Now assume that you've mutually severed a contract with an employer to seek a new contract that really interests you...you and the new party agree to terms, its an exciting team you'd be joining and you're pumped to be a part of it. Its a situation that you think could help your career and resume and gain you quality work and respect in the future. But OH NO! The government steps in and says, "sorry you can't do that, instead you are to be claimed by whatever pathetic organization chooses you first, starting from the most pathetic first and you have no choice but to honor this ludicrous condition or you can just not work at all and that's he way it is"...sounds eerily like the old soviet communist model of telling people where they would live and what job they would do doesn't it?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't think you can really compare professional sports and their rules and systems to an everyday commercial environment. Using that logic, allowing trades would be a stupid rule too. For example, I sign a contract to happily work for Apple, but they need a game programmer so after a year and a half they trade me to Sega, forcing me to move and work on a company I never intended to when I signed my contract.