Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Do you have any thoughts or insight on Bobrovsky starting this weekend? With the B2B, I'm guessing that he'll split them with Boucher but unsure who will play on which day.
    Well, there's now a "wildcard" in the mix!

Just found out that Leighton has cleared waivers and is back with the team, ...Holmgren went on the record yesterday saying that he wanted to get Leighton into one of this weekends games if he cleared.

So, ...assuming (and it is an assumption) that Laviolette sees Bobrovsky as "the guy" for the playoffs, Bobrovsky figures to get one of these two starts.

This leaves Boucher on the outside looking in.

This is pure speculation on my part, but considering the way the team has played, and the likelihood of Laviolette wanting to shake them up a bit, and his history of being willing to run with a hot goalie, ...I'm guessing Leighton gets the start friday night.

He's coming off back to back shutouts in the AHL, it's a shakeup move, and if he plays well it gives the team confidence it has a solid option there( i believe they already have that confidence, but would obviously welcome reassurance)

...if he plays poorly or has a mediocre game, ....the team comes back with Bobrovsky (which they'll likely do even if Leighton stands on his head, ...probably), and continues on their journey with Bobrovsky as the established #1, Boucher as the backup, and Leighton then as a wildcard to play if they get into trouble down the line.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Do you have any thoughts or insight on Bobrovsky starting this weekend? With the B2B, I'm guessing that he'll split them with Boucher but unsure who will play on which day.
    Okay, according to Laviolette: Bobrovsky will start friday night, and Leighton "could" start against the Isles on Saturday.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    Okay, according to Laviolette: Bobrovsky will start friday night, and Leighton "could" start against the Isles on Saturday.
    Thanks Flyers Fan - much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Veteran

satirical news story:

Laperriere Thought To Be The Problem.

After a closed door meeting between Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, the team's players, and the coaching staff; the team has today announced that 37 year old Quebec born Right Winger Ian Laperriere is believed to be responsible for the team's poor recent play.

"Technically, I guess Ian hasn't been playing" said a team spokesman of the "injured" Laperriere "but it's easy to make excuses, and the fact of the matter is that Ian isn't producing."

Flyers coach Peter Laviolette stated that while it's important that team continue to work hard and avoid pointing fingers at anyone other than Laperriere, the team must be ready to solve it's on ice issues without him.

"It would be great if we could rely on Ian being out there blocking shots, killing penalties, and giving us the gut busting effort that he used to bring to the game every night" said Laviolette of the puzzlingly unproductive winger "but, unfortunatley that hasn't been the case this season.

Against Ottawa the other night, we gave up three power play goals, and I don't think Ian had a single blocked shot, or threw a hit, ...and it's been that way for a some time now, we're trying to be patient with Ian, but we coaches look at the films, and we see there are some guys out there, like that number twenty eight guy; who are hitting, skating, chipping in the odd goal here and there, ...and then there are guys like Ian who are hardly even noticable" Laviolette said, "I honestly can't remember the last time I saw his name listed among the leaders in any catagory on the stat sheet."

Laperriere's work ethic in team practices has also recently been questioned. "You must work more hard in practice they say to me over and over...", said one teamate who wished to remain anonymous "So I work the work... working very hard, like jackel. To make much of the sweat, ...after practice gear is soaked, it is like sponge, ...but yet when walking on floor at his locker and to look at the gear, gear is still dry, like a bone. No sweat at all."

GM Paul Holmgren has been admittedly as baffled as anyone at the sudden drop in production by Laperriere. "I dunno what it is" said Holmgren "Last season he was such a huge part of our success, nowadays I hardly even notice him out there, it's like he disapears for long stretches at a time, and I've noticed that Peter's not sending him out there for those key defensive draws like he used to either, so obviously it's affected his icetime, and maybe that's why his goals are down this season. That's something he and the coaches have to talk about, but yeah, I think we need to get Ian back on board, he's one of our best prospects. So while I think it's a stretch to say that everything that's gone wrong has been entirely his fault, I think Ian needs to realize that the playoffs are right around the corner, and that he can't just expect to flip a switch like the rest of are planning on doing, because somebody needs to be out there in the meantime, taking some responsibility and winning some of these meaningless regular season games, ...it's a matter of accountability."

Real news story: from NHL.com

Laperriere Nominated For Masterson Trophy:

Master Laperriere

Laperriere is Flyers' Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy nominee

Wednesday, 04.06.2011 / 10:20 PM / News
    Philadelphia Flyers
    The Bill Masterton TrophyDedication, Sportsmanship and Perseverance.

One man on the Philadelphia Flyers greatly excels in each of these categories, without even stepping on the ice for the 2010-11 season.

Ian Laperriere is the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association nominee for the NHL’s Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, which is awarded each year to “the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“I got caught by surprise a little bit, and like you said, I didn’t play in one game, but it’s life. I know what it means,” said Ian Laperriere upon hearing the news. “It means that I tried to be a good human-being on and off the ice, and when you guys are voting for me, it’s telling me that I’m doing a pretty good job off the ice.”

Flyers’ beat writer Anthony SanFilippo of the Delaware County Daily Times is the chairman of the Philadelphia Chapter and happily delivered the news to Laperriere.

“[We, the chapter members] decided that although you haven’t actually been on the ice this season, you still embody the three characteristics that the league is looking for when determining a Masterton candidate,” said SanFilippo. “We felt, pretty unanimously, that you still maintain those characteristics off the ice in what you do and how you conduct yourself.”

Laperriere spent no time mincing words.

“Well, it’s been the hardest point of my career. I said that before and I still feel the same today. To tell you the truth, everything happens for a reason and I am a big believer that for me to be a Flyer while it happened to me is kind of there is something behind it. They are taking care of me and I can’t imagine any other team, or maybe a couple teams, but not that many teams that would take care of their players like they are doing with me.”

While maintaining his daily workout regiment and fight back from post-concussion syndrome diagnosed on Sept. 28, Laperriere has been keeping busy and serving the organization in several ways.

“They have been giving me all the tools to keep me busy and they know how much I love the game. I just can’t play right now and they just give me all the tools to stay in the game and stay close to the game,” said Laperriere.

“I get to help out with the junior leagues and American Hockey League and I try to see as much hockey as I can. If down the road I get to coach those guys I could work with them in some kind of way. I do not know yet.”

One thing Laperriere does know without any doubt is that the game he has spent all of his life working and fighting in, will remain a part of his life.

“Hockey has been my life and is going to always be my first love. I am going to try to do something in the game. I do not know if it is going to be coaching, but it is going to be around the game for sure. I have always been an approachable guy and it is one of my qualities. I think that the younger guys appreciate that.”

Laperriere, however, is wrong about only one thing. It’s not just the younger guys that appreciate that - it’s everybody.

If you don’t believe me, judge for yourself.

If you ever get the chance to meet, speak or even get to know Laperriere, within five minutes you will notice many things, many good things, many honest things and among them are dedication, sportsmanship and perseverance in not just hockey but in life.

It’s because of this that he not only deserves this nomination, it’s the reason he deserves to win.

A center for the Minnesota North Stars during the 1967-68 season, Bill Masterton remains the only NHL player to have died as a direct result of a play on the ice. A hit knocked Masterton off balance, while not wearing a helmet, his head struck the ice causing a brain hemorrhage.

All 30 NHL teams nominate a player on their team for consideration of the award.

link : http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558529

Dobber Sports Veteran

Still trying to find out if Pronger practiced today, and what it entailed...
    I'll post anything I can find.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Still no skating for Pronger, Flyers worked on special teams and according to the Phila. Daily News' Frank Seravelli, Pronger attended the power play meeting, ...not skating seens odd for a hand injury.

Also the Flyers have reportedly placed D Matt Walker on re-entry waivers and are attempting to get him through.

The plot thickens.

I love playoff time!

Alright Flyer Fan.....tell your minions to stop messin' w/our fragile minds! Briere on morning radio, suggests that Pronger will NOT play opening night and is unaware whether he'll be ready for subsequent games.

What's up?!? He's just breakin' balls over here, right? Here's the full audio of the interview...

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/39435459/4...q=danny+briere
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Alright Flyer Fan.....tell your minions to stop messin' w/our fragile minds! Briere on morning radio, suggests that Pronger will NOT play opening night and is unaware whether he'll be ready for subsequent games.

What's up?!? He's just breakin' balls over here, right? Here's the full audio of the interview...

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/39435459/4...q=danny+briere
    Well, I 've had my suspicions about Mr. Briere for quite some time, ...his traitorous collaboration with enemy radio hosts just confirms it.

He's been picked up by Comcast security agents and taken to headquaters for questioning and re-education.

He's expected to be released prior to the start of game 1.

Seriously, ...Briere sounded like he was just being honest, although now he's claiming that he was joking. (Sounded like he meant it to me though)

And as another indicator that PRonger isn't playing in game 1: He did skate for almost an hour prior to this morning's practice, ...but it was with the injured players (Bartulis, Laperriere, and Matt Walker, who cleared re-entry waivers but obviously isn't ready to play)

This is the first time Pronger's been seen skating, yesterday's practice was almost all special teams, and he wasn't out there at all, ...I'd say he's going to have to do some skating, and practicing with the team, and handling the puck etc before he plays, ...I think he's out, and probably for more than game 1.

What's really perplexing me is why a wrist injury would preclude him from skating before today. It's a puzzler!

lmao....nice. Well if his torture-by-proxy was as successful as I hope, maybe he won't score so many points this post-season.

A fan can dream.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nothing new to report, so...

- The Flyers believe that generating powerplays will be a key to the series, and believe that the league's stick measurement guidelines will be a big help to them in accomplishing this.

To that end, team officials are furiously researching the NHL rulebook in an attempt to determine the league's minimum stick length, as it is believed that most of the Sabres forward's stick are probably in violation of it.

- The Flyers have also announced that they have cancelled the previously scheduled game 1 "Tim Connolly Bobblehead Doll" give away after a manufacturing defect caused all of the dolls to arrive broken.

The manufacturer insists this was no defect, but an intentional design feature to make the dolls more realistic repreresentations of the real Tim Connolly.

Nothing new to report, so...

- The Flyers believe that generating powerplays will be a key to the series, and believe that the league's stick measurement guidelines will be a big help to them in accomplishing this.

To that end, team officials are furiously researching the NHL rulebook in an attempt to determine the league's minimum stick length, as it is believed that most of the Sabres forward's stick are probably in violation of it.
    That's f-ing funny!

The Flyers have also announced that they have cancelled the previously scheduled game 1 "Tim Connolly Bobblehead Doll" give away after a manufacturing defect caused all of the dolls to arrive broken.

The manufacturer insists this was no defect, but an intentional design feature to make the dolls more realistic repreresentations of the real Tim Connolly.
    Were they truly realistic, they never would have shown up! BOO-YA!!!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Buffalo Sabres are reportedly gameplanning as if they expect Chris Pronger to play...

Looks like Lurch may be out for game one afterall (and possibly game two)...

http://www.pennlive.com/newsflash/in...6f4a191062a87a
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting story developing in Philly today as Mike Richards did not practice.

The team is reporting it as a "maintenance day", but when asked why Richards didn't practice, Peter Laviolette declined to answer, saying all questions about injured players are being handled by GM Paul Homgren.

Injured players. Hmmm.

Pronger again skated with the injured players this morning, did some light stickhandling. No contact, no shooting.

Matt Walker has apparently been cleared to play and practiced with the team. He's currently eighth behind Danny Syvret, and Nick Boyton on the depth chart, but could easily leapfrog both of them (particularly Boyton whom Laviolette appears to lack confidence in)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Richards has a minor head cold, and will play tomorrow.

Pronger's availability will be a gametime decision.

The Flyers Black Aces: Erik Gustafsson, Kevin Marshall, Matt Walker, Mike Testwuide, and Eric Wellwood