Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Stud

what a frickin meltdown. 3-0 going into the 3rd and lose 5-4 in OT.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

He should call out his other d-men, not Giroux.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    how do you think it is gonna shake out with the Flyers in the offseason FF? The Flyers just keep adding forwards to a team already stacked with depth when they would be much better served signing a talented goalie I think...how is this gonna shake out with the guys they've added in the last few years...Versteeg, Leino, Carcillo...then you've got Nodl and JVR vying for ice time too...who gets kept, who gets dealt?
    The conventional wisdom around town seems to be that Boucher will be gone next season, and the Flyers will go with a tandem of Bobrovsky and a healthy, still inexpensive Mike Leighton, ...I agree with you about signing an a higher end goalie, but given the team's cap constraints, fears about the volatilbility of even "proven" goaltenders, their like for Bobrovsky, and his progress under Jeff Reese, ...it's a much "easier" decision for Homer, that's not going to force him to weaken his roster somewhere else.

Boucher they like too, but seem to feel that he's earned a chance at a more lucrative contract than they'll be able to fit under the cap (that is, they think he'll cost more than Leighton).

On defense, Boyton and, O'Donnell are the only members of the group unsigned for next season, ...O'Donnell's struggling right now, and badly needs a break, but they would be willing to bring him back at a similar price, ...he may be in the same boat as Boucher though, in having the ability to get more money elsewhere.

Not sure if the Flyers are sold on Bartulis' ability to step into the "6" slot, and they feel that Gustaffson still needs times, but will be a better a player, so the "safe" plan would seem to be re-signing O'D or a similarly priced veteran that could be slotted in the 6th or 7th slot next year; to buy time for Gustaffson, and as insurance in case Bartulis struggles. Matt Walker's contract, coupled with the team's cap problems, probably guarantees that he can't get a shot at filling a role.

Upfront, Holmgren specifically spoke to Leino and his agent before pulling the trigger on the Versteeg trade to re-iterate his intention to sign him this summer, and to make sure Leino understood that he was a part of the team's longterm plans.

There were reports about Leino already having an offer in hand from the Flyers, and making a gentleman's agreement to not accept it to allow the Flyers to use the space to aquire Versteeg, and that in return the offer would be "bumped up" and re offered this summer.

Zherdev and his two million dollar salary obviously won't be back.

Carcillo everyone seems to agree, has earned more icetime and money than than the Flyers are able to commit to him.

Holmgren's deal with Columbus for Tom Sestito was believed by some of the beat reporters to be made in anticipation of not having Carcillo back next season, ...figuring Sestito could fill the same physical, energy role at a cheaper price, albeit less effictively.

JVR and Nodl are both guys that aren't "demanding" more icetime. Nodl seems to be a responsible defensive forward who just doesn't have alot of offensive upside, and JVR isn't progressing offensively as was expected, ...he's not quite at that "top 6" level yet, maybe next year, ...Nodl probably never will be.

Leino Briere and Hartnell have been overall the Flyers best line since last season's finals. Giroux has had success with Carter on his RW and they get a nice blend of physicality from having JVR on the left, neither Zherdev or Carcillo worked there, so it's become JVR's spot.

Richards had zero chemistry with Zherdev, and was already playing with offensively limited Nodl, he and the whole line seemed to be slipping into the traditional "thrid line" checking role, ...aquiring Versteeg (or another two way forward) was seen as a way to bump that back up to being a true two-way line, giving the team three legitimate scoring lines.

I know it seems like overkill, but I understand what they were thinking, and since I'm rambling, I'll try and word it more sucinctly : JVR,Nodl,Carcillo,and Powe had all been given opportunities, and with the exception of JVR (who's a better fit elsewhere), proved to be eliminating Richards line as an offensive contributor.

Leino, Hartnell, Briere, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Nodl, Richards, and Versteeg figue to be the top nine next year as well, ....Sestito, and Mike Testwuide are two big wingers that figure to get a shot at replacing Carcillo, and possibly for cap requirements one of either Powe, or Betts.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    What happened to cause the whole pronger wrist cast thing?
    He was originally thought to have bruised it blocking a shot against the Islanders, ...but as the swelling went down and the bruising healed, he still had no strength in the hand. Then in last weeks game against the Oilers, he had it caught against the glass trying to fend off an Oiler's forechecker.

X-Rays and MRI's were negative, until he had a CT scan done on Sunday; which revealed a fracture, ...now he's scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow and miss 3 to 4 weeks.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    He should call out his other d-men, not Giroux.
    Agreed!

(During the game, he was actually calling out both Giroux and Carle on the bench, and was actually more focused on Carle, ...just a "what the @#%# are you guys doing out there?", so when the incident first came out, I assumed it was Carle who he was yelling out in the room. )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    The conventional wisdom around town seems to be that Boucher will be gone next season, and the Flyers will go with a tandem of Bobrovsky and a healthy, still inexpensive Mike Leighton, ...I agree with you about signing an a higher end goalie, but given the team's cap constraints, fears about the volatilbility of even "proven" goaltenders, their like for Bobrovsky, and his progress under Jeff Reese, ...it's a much "easier" decision for Homer, that's not going to force him to weaken his roster somewhere else.

Boucher they like too, but seem to feel that he's earned a chance at a more lucrative contract than they'll be able to fit under the cap (that is, they think he'll cost more than Leighton).

On defense, Boyton and, O'Donnell are the only members of the group unsigned for next season, ...O'Donnell's struggling right now, and badly needs a break, but they would be willing to bring him back at a similar price, ...he may be in the same boat as Boucher though, in having the ability to get more money elsewhere.

Not sure if the Flyers are sold on Bartulis' ability to step into the "6" slot, and they feel that Gustaffson still needs times, but will be a better a player, so the "safe" plan would seem to be re-signing O'D or a similarly priced veteran that could be slotted in the 6th or 7th slot next year; to buy time for Gustaffson, and as insurance in case Bartulis struggles. Matt Walker's contract, coupled with the team's cap problems, probably guarantees that he can't get a shot at filling a role.

Upfront, Holmgren specifically spoke to Leino and his agent before pulling the trigger on the Versteeg trade to re-iterate his intention to sign him this summer, and to make sure Leino understood that he was a part of the team's longterm plans.

There were reports about Leino already having an offer in hand from the Flyers, and making a gentleman's agreement to not accept it to allow the Flyers to use the space to aquire Versteeg, and that in return the offer would be "bumped up" and re offered this summer.

Zherdev and his two million dollar salary obviously won't be back.

Carcillo everyone seems to agree, has earned more icetime and money than than the Flyers are able to commit to him.

Holmgren's deal with Columbus for Tom Sestito was believed by some of the beat reporters to be made in anticipation of not having Carcillo back next season, ...figuring Sestito could fill the same physical, energy role at a cheaper price, albeit less effictively.

JVR and Nodl are both guys that aren't "demanding" more icetime. Nodl seems to be a responsible defensive forward who just doesn't have alot of offensive upside, and JVR isn't progressing offensively as was expected, ...he's not quite at that "top 6" level yet, maybe next year, ...Nodl probably never will be.

Leino Briere and Hartnell have been overall the Flyers best line since last season's finals. Giroux has had success with Carter on his RW and they get a nice blend of physicality from having JVR on the left, neither Zherdev or Carcillo worked there, so it's become JVR's spot.

Richards had zero chemistry with Zherdev, and was already playing with offensively limited Nodl, he and the whole line seemed to be slipping into the traditional "thrid line" checking role, ...aquiring Versteeg (or another two way forward) was seen as a way to bump that back up to being a true two-way line, giving the team three legitimate scoring lines.

I know it seems like overkill, but I understand what they were thinking, and since I'm rambling, I'll try and word it more sucinctly : JVR,Nodl,Carcillo,and Powe had all been given opportunities, and with the exception of JVR (who's a better fit elsewhere), proved to be eliminating Richards line as an offensive contributor.

Leino, Hartnell, Briere, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Nodl, Richards, and Versteeg figue to be the top nine next year as well, ....Sestito, and Mike Testwuide are two big wingers that figure to get a shot at replacing Carcillo, and possibly for cap requirements one of either Powe, or Betts.
    great breakdown dude, thats exactly what I was looking for, I own Hartnell, Leino and Carcillo and I'm of the opinion that Carcillo would be better served playing on a team like EDM since he'd get quality 3rd line mins and probably be able to contribute much more. Leino has played really well this year so I cant see how they wouldn't want to re-sign him, I think he fits in well with that team so I'd be really happy if he turned into a Hartnell type of fantasy forward (50-60 pts) with upside

Dobber Sports Veteran

Some tidbits of culled from various Flyers info sites today:

- Boucher gets the start against Florida, ...Bobrovsky has won only two of his last seven starts.

- Carter and Richards both lost 10 lbs during their recent flu illnesses, ...Carter looks good, Richards still looks weak.

- The Flyers signed 2009 seventh round draft pick Oliver Lauridsen today, ...he's a 6-foot-6, 230-pound defenseman from Denmark who played at St. Cloud State, same as Andreas Nodl.

- I've noticed that one of the byproducts of the Flyers recent focus on unsigned college Free Agents, and draft picks; is that they seem to be much "safer" to project, and much closer to being NHL ready, ...but seem to have somewhat limited upsides.

I mention it, because it seems to me that it's a great way to supplement your organization's support players, but eventually without "hitting" on some junior talent with higher upside, your organization's skill level isn't going to be up to snuff with your competition.

Great tool for finding productive third and fourth liners, but the first and second liners are ultimately going to determine your teams fate, and they still need to be found in the draft.

- Laviolette says he wants to get Gustaffson into at least two of the teams next few games, ...O'Donnell's clearly in nead of a break, and Boyton having not played most of the season, figures to be sucking wind soon to, it'll be nice to get a look at the kid.

- Pronger's expected to be ready for the playoffs, it'll be interesting to see how the Flyers powerplay shakes out during his absence, and again when he returns, ...Kimmo Timonen stands out as guy who should be able to relied upon for more of a contribution on the PP, ...Lavs has done a great job of limiting his icetime throughout the year, ...but Kimmo's play hasn't been all that great this season, ...not bad, but certainly not up to the level his salary would suggest.

- In response to Pronger's calling out of Claude Giroux last week, Giroux today called out Chris Pronger for being a "big sissy", and suggested that
    he "man up" , "stop whining" and attempt to play through his "broken nail"

Giroux then went on to speculate that Pronger was perhaps really from Sweden, and should try to be more like Nickolai Zherdev.

He is believed to be now holed up in a secure location.

...Okay, I made that up, but it's been a slow day and I'm bored.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

...Okay, I made that up, but it's been a slow day and I'm bored.

CRAP! I I didn't see this before I tweeted Claude's comments on Pronger's facebook wall. I'm sure any appearance by Giroux on the injury thread is purely coincidental
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Initiate

So I have missed last few starts that bob has started but whats up with him and loosing streak
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by KoHolga View Post
    So I have missed last few starts that bob has started but whats up with him and loosing streak
    Believe it or not, Bobrovsky hasn't been bad, he's been solid with a handful of + saves in each game, ...it's really been more about the guys in front of him than anything.

"Solid" goaltending like Bobrovsky gives them, is more than enough when the team's playing well, but it's not going to let them win many games they don't deserve to win.

Although as I'm typing this, I'm watching Bobrovsky stoning the Stars in the shootout, until Leino scores to give them a 3-2 win!

(shows what I know )

Banned

Believe it or not, Bobrovsky hasn't been bad, he's been solid with a handful of + saves in each game, ...it's really been more about the guys in front of him than anything.

"Solid" goaltending like Bobrovsky gives them, is more than enough when the team's playing well, but it's not going to let them win many games they don't deserve to win.

Although as I'm typing this, I'm watching Bobrovsky stoning the Stars in the shootout, until Leino scores to give them a 3-2 win!

(shows what I know )
    yeah I've never owned Bob, but my impression of him is that he's always played well and given the team the chance to win, he seldom lets them down and that's pretty much all you can ask from a young goalie no?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Fantasy headsup:

Peter Laviolette has been religious about spreading around the icetime this season, making sure no one is overworked, ...he's said in the past that he believed the Flyers need to win to get into the playoffs last year and the heavy reliance on key players down the stretch contributed to those players running out of gas by the time the team reached the finals vs. Chicago, and has taken great pains to limit the workload this season.

Now, with the season winding down, Lavs is attempting to acclimate some of his key players to the additional icetime they can expect to see during the playoffs.

This means more icetime for guys like Giroux, Carter, Richards, Briere, Leino, Coburn, Timonen, and Carle.

And less for guys like JVR, Carcillo, Versteeg, Powe, Nodl, and O'Donnell

Stuff I noticed tonight:

Coburn's responding to the extra time and had a monster game in all aspects.

Timonen seemed to run out of gas, at one point late in the third giving the Stars a chance at a game winning ppg by carelessly backhanding the puck over the glass and out of play, ...he was under no pressure at the time. He just looked "fatigued"

Carle had a good game as well.

Meszaros was solid,
    Gustafsson looked pretty good, but got away with a carless highstick against Steve Ott, ...awful non-call. (but don't tell anyone I said so)

The officiating was exceptionally poor tonight, particularly the linesmen, all in all O'Halloran's(sp?) crew was pretty versatile though, blowing offsides, icing touchups, and penalty calls with equal aplomb. They'ld do just fine in most beer leagues.

JVR had a decent game; skating, and most importantly attempting to use his size and strength to compete for pucks, he's been playing "dinged" lately, but has struggled badly.

Versteeg got a crack at Lehtonen in the shootout(as did inexplicably Timonen), but it wasn't pretty.

Leino won it for them after Lehtonen decided to dive arms extended, headfirst at him as he approached (I'm assuming he was screaming "Boo!" while doing so)

Hartnell played a solid physical game.

Betts seems to still be having a problem with his hand, lost his stick a few times during the late penalty kill, doesn't seem to be affecting his faceoffs though, he seemed to take just about every key defensive zone draw in the third and overtime.

The ice degraded badly during the game, by late in the third it was a mess, pucks bouncing everywhere, you could actually see the puck dragging, ...during the shootout most of the players went for the deke plays anyway, and a few of them had problems because of it. (Claude Giroux is apparently impervious to bad ice, and scored on a beautiful move)

The Stars Jamie Benn seems to posess some of the same super powers as Giroux.

The Flyers defensemen still have a habit of backing too far from their blueline, and creating a sizable gap between themselves and the forwards, Dallas' game tying late goal was scored when Robidas evaded Carter in the neutral zone and was able to approach the flyers line with speed, instead of stepping up, both defensemen retreated immediately into Bobrovsky lap, the Stars forward was able to advance to between the circles right up the slot and unload a slapshot that Bobrovsky had no chance of stopping, without ever coming within fifteen feet of a Flyer's defensemen, ...Carter had missed him at center ice and was out of the play, so the only pressure on him was from Nodl belatedly coming from behind and off the wing.

Dallas' has a very, very nice puck moving defensive unit going on there!

Things I didn't notice tonight:

Andreas Nodl.

Like I said, he was the only one offering any resistance on the Stars second goal, and I'm glad he got back into the lineup (Zherdev and Shelley sat), but seems to be back into that defense only mindset, not using his speed to join the attack, peeling off too early etc., He looked really out of place playing with Carter and Giroux in the offensive zone, was too easily overpowered along the boards in the defensive zone, bt does a great job between the bluelines, ...not sure what's going on there, maybe a confidence thing, I'd like to see him get some time with Powe and Betts in a shutdown role, with guys who play a simpler offensive game.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; March 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pronger skated with the team this morning, ...albeit dressed in one of those bright yellow non-contact jerseys.

Strangely, he was not subjected to the traditional harrassment by teamates, who didn't seem to not notice, initiate eye contact with, or make any sudden movements in his vicinity.

Good story from the Phila. Daily News' Frank Seravelli about Flyer's stength and conditioning coach Jim McCrossin's top secret Slurpee machine here:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...advantage.html

Dobber Sports Veteran

Holmgren has sent Gustafsson back down to the Phantoms.

A bit of a puzzler as it leaves the Flyers with just 6 healthy defensemen on the roster. Looks like O'Donnell doesn't get the break he seems to need, and Boyton's going to play every game as well.

Laviolette is ramping up the minutes on Timonen, Coburn, Carle, and Meszaros though, so the workload for Boyton and O'Donnell shouldn't be very heavy.

Gustafsson looked decent, and I would have liked to have seen more of him, but maybe Homer feels he isn't quite ready and is planning on recalling the more experienced Danny Syvret if needed.

Syvret would have ideally gotten the nod as the seventh when Bartulis went down, but was playing like Syvret at the time, opening the door a crack for Gustafsson to get a look.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; March 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM.

Flyer Fan, this is a slightly off-the-bell-curve kinda question. Is there a Giroux hat-trick dance I can perform?

I'm in the playoffs this week, losing my shirt, and am in need of some sort of miracle. Appreciate the time.

Signed,
    Bombing in Buffalo
    @SmittysRant