Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Pro

As much as I really like Versteeg, I'm sort of upset that we keep ignoring our prospect pool. But I guess I am very thankful that we have such a young group of players that we can push everything towards now.

With the Versteeg signing, this signals Zherdev, Carcillo, Shelley and maybe Nodl being dangled for pretty much cheap? I'm also wondering about when Marshall or MABourdon is ready to compete for a bottom pairing position?

With this trade, you gotta think the lines will look like this:

JVR-Richards-Versteeg
    Leino-Briere-Hartnell
    Nodl-Giroux-Carter
    Powe-Betts-Shelley/Carcillo

I highly doubt Zherdev will be put on the fourth line; I think he might given to a team for a low pick.

Damn. Thats a sick lineup.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the coverage FlyerFan, glad you accepted Dean's invitation. I figured you were the guy for the job after I read some of your posts. Your insight has been an excellent addition to the PG Advised section, which has some outstanding contributors overall IMHO.

Now to my question, which I ask as a fan more than a Poolie. Prior to his extension signing, I noticed a lot of negative opinions of Jeff Carter by other Flyer fans over the past couple of years. I've never felt this way and wondered what the disgust was about. It seemed I was reading post after post in thread after thread of people who were hoping Homer would trade him. I never understood it and couldn't seem to get an answer. I don't recall you ever voicing an opinion on this and wondered what your insight was on the lack of love he gets. It sort of reminds me of how Spezza is treated by Sens fans at times, which I don't really get either. All other Philly fan opinions welcome of course.
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; February 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Thanks for the coverage FlyerFan, glad you accepted Dean's invitation. I figured you were the guy for the job after I read some of your posts. Your insight has been an excellent addition to the PG Advised section, which has some outstanding contributors overall IMHO.

Now to my question, which I ask as a fan more than a Poolie. Prior to his extension signing, I noticed a lot of negative opinions of Jeff Carter by other Flyer fans over the past couple of years. I've never felt this way and wondered what the disgust was about. It seemed I was reading post after post in thread after thread of people who were hoping Homer would trade him. I never understood it and couldn't seem to get an answer. I don't recall you ever voicing an opinion on this and wondered what your insight was on the lack of love he gets. It sort of reminds me of how Spezza is treated by Sens fans at times, which I don't really get either. All other Philly fan opinions welcome of course.
    Thanks!

I never understood the lack of love for Carter either. First of all there are very few centers around capable of scoring 40 plus goals, when Holmgren was considering moving him and a number one for Kaberle I thought it was an absolutely awful deal for the Flyers.

Carter gets a bum rap sometimes, there were people that were disappointed in his play during last seasons finals, particularly when it became obvious the Richards was exhausted, and the Flyers desperately needed to step up, ...but Carter had missed the end of the season with a broken foot, and had returned early, was already struggling with his skating due to atrophied muscles in the calf foot and ankle, and he was playing well, and at a brand new position, before breaking the other foot, ...he returned and tried to gut it out, ...but literally didn't have a leg to stand on.

This was overlooked by most, who were busy praising Gagne and Lapieriere for their willingness to play injured, ...I don't quite understand this myself, 'cause it impressed the heck out of me!

I know Carter takes some shots from folks for not always playing as physical as his size would allow, and it seems to be particularly noticable on this team because he's contrasted against the smaller, lighter, more physical Mike Richards, whom the fans view as a "heart and soul" player along the lines of a Bobby Clarke or a Dave Poulin, ...guys that weren't nescesarily the most talented, but the most competitive.

In fact when Clarke was in his heyday, Rick Macleish; a fifty goal center, was kind of given a lukewarm embrace by the fans for the same reason, he was viewed as the "naturally gifted" guy who made it look easy, while Clarkie was the skinny diabetic, wearing his own blood, and out working the more skilled players, ...I always thought that was kind of unfair to Macleish who also worked his butt off, ..he just was being compared to someone exceptional, ...not valid then either imho.

One of the other factors I feel is involved in the fans seeming hesitation to embrace Carter has been his contract status over the years coupled with the Flyer's cap problems, ...for a long time it looked like the Flyers weren't going to be able to afford to keep him, and would be vulnerable to an RFA offer sheet from another team.

The team had already made sizable committments to both Richards and Briere at center,...nobody saw Briere with an expensive NMC contract as ever being movable, Richards was the Captain, and the heart of the team, Guys like Gagne and Hartnell had NTCs, so that kind of left Carter an impending RFA at the time, as the obvious odd man out, it just looked to be inevitible that he would be the guy that would have to be moved.

And I think it's that as much as anything else that had viewing him as a guy that wasn't going to be a part of the team's longtern future.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting that the other night with Leino sitting out (mild groin pull), Laviolette chose to dress both Jody Shelley, and Dan Carcillo, ...and still leave Nik Zherdev sitting in the press box. He must be pretty deep into Lavs doghouse.

The Flyers are playing in Carolina tomorrow night. Rod Brind'amour's going to be honored by the Hurricanes in a ceremony prior to the game, ...and as a tribute to Rod and his time with the Flyers, ...every single Flyers player will be wear #17 on their jerseys during the pregame warmup. Nice.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for your insight on Carter, FF. The aspect of thinking he'd be leaving makes a lot of sense as to why fans would distance themselves from him emotionally. He obviously loves playing there with the deal he signed and I don't read nor hear any complaining about him since.

Also, your reference to last years playoff reminded me of how many were critical of his performance and the only "expert" I heard defend him was Bob McKenzie, who thought he played admirably on 2 broken feet.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Thanks for your insight on Carter, FF. The aspect of thinking he'd be leaving makes a lot of sense as to why fans would distance themselves from him emotionally. He obviously loves playing there with the deal he signed and I don't read nor hear any complaining about him since.

Also, your reference to last years playoff reminded me of how many were critical of his performance and the only "expert" I heard defend him was Bob McKenzie, who thought he played admirably on 2 broken feet.
    Thanks MTC.

It's an interesting dynamic at work for sure. I constantly read and hear people lauding Mike Richard's for leaving money on the table to sign a long term deal with the team (and rightfully so), yet you rarely if ever; hear or see anyone mention Carter's willingness to do so as well.

Like I said earlier, there aren't many Centers around that you can realistically expect to score 40 or more goals (sans a fluke carreer year), and if any of them were ever to hit the market, the "franchise player" offers that would follow, would certainly dwarf what Carter signed for, ...and Carter's certainly intelligent enough to know this.

Likewise, it'd be an even shorter list of players of his caliber who would be willing to shift over to play wing for the good of the team. ( I've always respected Malkin for being willing to do this as well,( ...despite the fact that all Penguins players are obviously inherently evil by nature).

Carter's also worked his butt off to become a better defensive player, and faceoff man as well.

I think he's currently tops among the team in faceoff percentage, ...and when recently asked about his improvement in this area, ...Carter attributed his success to his "new strategy" of making sure to take less draws than everybody else!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Flyers vs. Rangers later on should be an especially good one.

Last meeting between the two, Avery ambushed Matt Carle (0 career fights), many Flyers were not amused, ... in particular Jody Shelley (a few more than 0 fights) who noted afterwards that it was a close game, but it wouldn't be forgotten about.

He will be in the lineup today.

Blair Betts will definitely not dress, ...had his right ring finger split open in an ugly way blocking a shot the other night.

Mike Richards is likely to be back in the lineup, supposedly feeling better after being scratched the other night with what was reported as a stomach virus, after "allegedly" becoming ill during the pre game skate (Now, as all real Flyer's Fans know; no virus would ever dare to interfere with Richard's pre-game preparation, ...and he was most likely needed to perform some sort of top secret mission for the government or something, but let's not blow his cover, and pretend to believe the ridiculous "sick" explaination for the scratch.)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Some slightly innebriated thoughts/observations from todays game (apologies in advance for what are sure to be many misspelled words/names to follow):

- Richards was back, looked weak though he played almost 18 minutes.

-Briere, Leino, and Hartnell even when it doesn't show on the scoreboard, ...give teams fits.

-O'Donnell stopped playing after appearing to injure a knee early in the first, he remained on the bench throughout the first before calling it a night, ...without him, the group of Pronger, Carle, Meszaros, Coburn, and Timmonen sometimes struggled physically when pinned in their zone.

- The O'Donnell injury and stinger suffered later by Boucher who flopped around in agony for a few minutes, but remained in the game, ...served as a reminder that despite all the trades being made amongst the contenders, things change in a hurry and team health, and good fortune is still probably going to have more to say about who wins the Cup than any deadline move will.

- O'Donnell's going down will probably give us a good insight into how Holmgren and Laviolette view Bartulis, ...any reservations at all, and we probably see them look to add another body on the back end soon.

-Sticking with the backend, Pronger's still not moving particularly well. There's another gear there that we'll see come playoff time, ...but long term as his mobility continues to diminish, and his cap number doesn't....

-Watching Braydon Coburn kind of makes you wonder if the Flyers shouldn't at least consider having some type of appreciation ceremony for former Atlanta GM Don Wadell. Coburns still improving.

-For the first time in their history, the Flyers were not called for a single penalty in a game, ...zero, nada, zilch. As a result, the first seal of the scroll spoken of in the book of Revelations has been broken, and the Apocalypse is surely at hand. Thousands of terrified Rangers fans have begun giving away their posessions and are gathering together to away the mother ship.

-Maybe also for the first time in their history, in a matchup between the Flyers and Rangers, ...the Rangers were the harder working team. Tortella's got them hustling and hitting in all three zones.

- Over eighty games, Lundquist is the best goalie in the league.

-JVR seemed to struggle abit after putting up what were probably his two best games of the season. Power forwards just take longer to develop.

-Versteeg keeps striking me as a nice, versatile, complimentary second line or elite third line player. I like him, so this is no knock against him, but the Flyers gave up alot to geth him. Holmgren may have only paid the fair "market" price, but he did so at a time when the market was skyhigh.

- NBC has some sort of "Hockey in America" day, and was broadcasting a number of games, ...the guys doing the Flyers/Rangers game (who's names I refuse to waste memory space on) were pretty awful, ...lots of intern provided scripted little tidbits, but they basically didn't seem to really know the teams, ...talked over the play, were out of the flow etc... Seems like the network and the NHL would be better served by using some of the team's better, local broadcast teams; instead of the "recognizable" talking heads.

- Talking with some guys I was watching the game with, ...the Bruins may be as deep as the Flyers upfront (and Savard was supposed to be out last season too, but returned), and Peverly and Kaberle were great pickups, ...but Kaberle's going to cost them some goals against a team like the Flyers as well, and they still need to play Seidenberg for another 20 minutes. Of course having Thomas and Rask behind them will cover a multitude of sins.

-Carcillo played today, scored a goal and reminded that he can be a playoff force.

- Zherdev didn't. Hard to know whether the Flyers view him as a safety in case of injury, ...or are ready to move him for a bag of pucks.

- Jody Shelley was the posterchild for self control today, playing a clean physical game. I have to admit he's a better player than I thought he was when Holmgren signed him.

I'm off to bed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post

-For the first time in their history, the Flyers were not called for a single penalty in a game, ...zero, nada, zilch. As a result, the first seal of the scroll spoken of in the book of Revelations has been broken, and the Apocalypse is surely at hand. Thousands of terrified Rangers fans have begun giving away their posessions and are gathering together to away the mother ship.
    a remarkable feat to be sure and you may well be right as to it being a sign of the coming apocalypse, but its actually the 3rd time in franchise history:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020887

Dobber Sports Veteran

Lots of Flyers news today:

You've probably already heard that the Flyers have waived Zherdev, ...here's a link to the thread in the general chat section containing the known details thusfar: http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ewpost&t=98095

Additionally, Scottie Upshall has been suspended for two games for his hit on Oscar Bartulis last night,

...unfortunately Bartulis suffered a seperated shoulder and is expected to undergo surgery.

With Sean O'Donnell expected to miss at least two weeks with his knee injury, the Flyers are suddenly without sixth and seventh defensemen, and need a body to plug into the lineup.

"Well, what about Matt Walker" you ask?

It's true that with Zherdev and his two million possibly off the books, Flyers could make Walker's salary work, and he is in fact on his way to Philadelphia as we speak, ...to undergo surgery for the knee he injured over the weekend, ...he's expected to be out for at least a month.

Holmgren did an admirable job of keeping a straight face as he mentioned Danny Syvret as one of the young highly thought of defensemen he's excitied about getting a look at rather than aquiring another defenseman..

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    a remarkable feat to be sure and you may well be right as to it being a sign of the coming apocalypse, but its actually the 3rd time in franchise history:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020887
    Thanks Mcgoo, I stand corrected!

Yanno, I've always contended that the scandalous accusations of
    the Flyer's being frequent infranctors was completely unwarranted,
    ...and this proves it!

THREE, count 'em THREE penalty free games!

Let's see Mario and those aquatic skating criminals in Pittsburgh do THAT!!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Zherdev cleared waivers.

He would have cost any team that filed a claim less than 500k for the remainder of the season, has 15 goals in 47 games averaging only twelve and half minutes of icetime, and could garner no interest.

Teams would trade for guys like Kovalev. Wow.

Maybe this serves as a reality check for the guy, the Flyers have the option of sending him to the Phantoms, sending him home, ...or just continuing to scratch him, and have him sit in the press box as an insurance policy in case of injury.

Zherdev has option of forgoing the remainder of his salary and going home, accepting an assignment to the Phantoms if it comes, continuing to go through the motions, not make an effort and collect his pay while he sits in the press box, ...or he can man up, and try to work his way back into his coach's, ...and now his teamate's good graces.

For what it's worth, ...the Flyers had an optional practice this morning, and surprising enough, one of the guys who showed up for it was Zherdev. (no word as to whether he arrived in the same manner as he left yesterday after being placed on waivers; in a limo and grinning ear to ear.)

According to Frank Seravelli, ...His agent; Jay Grossman says he doesn't think Zherdev's relationship with the team has been irrepairably damaged by the events though.

... Of course he also said, there were at least six teams interested his client too.

Bobrovsky in goal again tonight. No confirmation to the rumors that Lavs made him write "I will not attempt to handle the puck" five hundred times.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; February 24, 2011 at 2:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Zherdev still practicing with the team.

Pronger had x-rays taken of his wrist after getting hit blocking a shot the other night, luckily for the Flyers; the x-rays were negative, but he's having trouble holding a stick and is listed as day to day (with hurt feelings)

Flyers have re-called Erik Gustafsson from the Phantoms thankfully sparing us from the unmitigated horror of watching Danny Syvret play in his own zone, and leaving forwards all over the league bitterly disapointed.

Gustafsson looks like he's gonna be a good player, so it'll be cool to get to check him out again. I would have liked to see Marshall get some time too.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; February 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

There has been some wild speculation about Pronger's wrist being more seriously injured than initially thought, ...but it's been de-bunked by both Pronger himself and Holmgren.

Holmgren then went on to challenge the team about their recent play:

"I think the last few weeks, we've been, I don't want to say lucky - but we need to play with more oomph than we've played with lately," Holmgren said. "The Islanders are a good young team now, and they work and skate. I thought they won a majority of races for loose pucks. I thought they won a majority of the battles for 50/50 pucks - and that has to change if we want to get where we want to be."
    Holmgren said the players "recognize it" but that "we need a little bit of an attitude adjustment right now."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Zherdev had a meeting yesterday prior to practice, with GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette; where he was told he was still a member of the team, and would be given a fresh start, and what was expected of him to get himself back into the lineup.

Reportedly Zherdev responded with his best practice of the season.

Which turned out to be fortunate as due to roster complications, ...newly aquired Nick Boyton counting towards the roster, but not available tongiht, Pronger being out nescessitating the callup of Gustafsson which put the Flyers over the maximum roster limit, forcing them to temporarily demote JVR to the Phantoms for one day making him unavailable, and with Betts still unable to properly grasp a stick, ...the Flyers were planning on inserting Zherdev into the lineup for last nights game.

...I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but I did sense a disturbance in the force so i knew they lost, ...i'll watch it in the morning to see how the tragedy unfolded.

Kimmo Timmonen raised a few eyebrows by lauding Brian Boucher's puck handling, ...particularly his communication and stopping hard dump ins behind the net and setting the puck up for the defensemen, allowing them to start the outlet using their set plays, with the play in front of them, both sides of the ice available, the other four players in their assigned spots, and without having to pursue the puck up the boards, battle the forechecking forward, and his support, having only half the ice to use, and their teamates sometimes out of their expected positions.

Notable because Bobrovsky struggles with both puck stopping and the communication.