Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Do you think Pronger has a shot to come back? If so that would be a blessing in the advancement of schenn.
    I do not think Pronger is coming back... I think this trade signals that but with Pronger still in the organization scouting players and mayb helping tutor schenn he could have a chance I have noticed the difference in coburn since under pronger

I agree with everyone when I saw this trade that I am pissed that we only got Schenn... I understand that he is still touted to be this great shut down guy but I just dont see it. I jsut hope we package up the schenn brothers ship them to the ducks for ryan than sign Hal GIll for one or two years and hope we can in some way figure out how to guy that franchise d man till than
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    I Couldn't agee more. I think Holmgren just traded away a future all-star for a third pairing defenseman.

Assuming he has a deal in place with Carle, Carle and Timonen will be the top pairing.

Grossman and Coburn figure to be the second pairing.

That leaves Schenn on the third pairing playing with Meszaros.

...and Gustafsson/Bourdon on the outside looking in.

Holmgren gave up size, speed, scoring, and potential upfront for a guy who's game has gone backwards since his rookie year, couldn't establish himself on an a bad team under two different coaches, and who's game, tools, and developement seem to point to him eventually developing into a Dennis Gauthier/Sean O'Donnell type of player. (albeit without O'Donnell's defensive awareness)

I dislike this trade on many levels.
    Exactly. I agree with you 100%.

I posted this on the JVR/Schenn trade thread, but one of the reasons I hate this as well is because it ties our hands in any other potential blockbuster trades. JVR was a centrepiece and the secondary centrepiece? Brayden Schenn. No way he moves this year. Add that to the fact we love Coots too much to trade him, a number of players having NMC and then the guys who will be the future of this team... You can't do much to get things done via trade route.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well it took 24 hours or so, but the first ripples from the vortex of stupidity emanating from Jeff Feaster's office have slowly made their way across the continent and have begun arriving in Philadlephia...

Reports are that the 5 year 5.25 million nmc deal handed to Dennis Wideman have caused Matt Carle and his agent to have second thoughts about the rumored 4.5 per million deal they had in place with the Flyers, and there are now rumblings about Carle wanting to test the market.

Holmgren's now in a sticky position where he's already cashed in his biggest trade chip, and simultaneously eliminated himself from the Shultz sweepstakes, and with Suter expected to sign elsewhere, Holmgren's now looking at a big hole in his defense, and no real alternatives beyond sacrificing one his young centers.

Maybe that doesn't sound like much of a big deal, but for a team that's recently traded away a boatload of draftpicks including 3 first rounders, and the players selected with 6 other first rounders (Carter, Richards, Downie, Sbisa, JvR, Pitkanen) the loss of another prized prospect in the aftermath of the loss of JvR and Bobrovsky would be a big blow long term.

Can't really blame Carle for wanting what he's worth, and Holmgren left himself in a vulnerable position by not being get signed prior to the market being set by Feaster.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Pro

Per Rotoworld:

Former Flyer player Ian Laperriere has joined the team's front office.
    Philly announced Friday that Laperriere, who retired about a year ago, will be the team's director of player development. "We are pleased to add Ian to our staff as director of player development," general manager Paul Holmgren said. "Ian will work closely with all of our young prospects in the system from skill development to fitness to nutrition. We feel that Ian's experiences and enthusiasm for life and the game of hockey make him the perfect man for this important role." Nice to see a mucker rewarded for his efforts on the ice and in the locker room.
    Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
    Jun 30 - 9:59 AM

For some reason I see him taking the Patches O'Houlihan approach to player development hahaha

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Rumored offers:

Parise 12 years, 100 million, 8.3 cap hit
    Suter 12 years, 80 million, 6.7 cap hit
    Jagr's agent says he's received 21 offers! Lots of speculation on where
    the Flyers offer is among them, Jagr's sure to get two or three year offer from some GM betting on a change in the status of the "over 35" contracts, but Holmgren might not be willing to do so.

The Flyers signed Michael Leighton to a one way deal for 950k to serve as Bryzgalov's backup.

Good choice in that Bryzgalov's insecurity means that any backup he perceives as a potential "threat", would have likely received the freeze treatment like Bobrovsky did last season, which can't be a fun or easy thing to deal with as a younger player, so Leighton should be better equipped to deal with it, and happy to defer to Bryzgalov's delicate ego for another gig in the NHL.

As far as being a backup goes, Leighton's shown the ability to come in cold, be a good teamate, keep himself prepared, ...and even reel off a hot streak.

He's also shown that he doesn't have the ability to be a starter, which is good for Bryzgalov, and really no different than any other backup the Flyers were likely to sign, with Leighton there's at least at least no illusion's/debates/controversy etc. as there was with Bobrovsky or as there could have been if the Flyers had brought a less known commodity, with the possibility of having an upside as a starter.

Hopeful it makes for a less threatened, and more secure Bryzgalov, a happier lockerroom, and a reliable veteran plan b.

Not so long ago, Holmgren was signing him to be the starter, he showed up injured and the rest is history...

There's been some criticism of Leighton's 950k price because he was twice available on waivers for 750k and passed over by every team in the league, and may have been hard pressed to land a backup spot anywhere, ...but for the Flyers the positives of adding a "known" to their goaltending situation figures to allow Holmgren to sleep better as well, and on a day when mediocre defensemen, and marginal nhl forwards are being overpaid by millions, an extra 100k to a guy who's been a good soldier in the organization might be the smartest ufa money any gm's spent so far.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And everyone laughed at me when I said that Flyers would be huge players in the offseason lol.
    Girrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooux

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kushmoney View Post
    And everyone laughed at me when I said that Flyers would be huge players in the offseason lol.
    Yep, it seems the Flyers have at least injected themselves far enough into the process that at least Parise has to think long and hard about their offer.

(of course, the delay in making a decision could just mean that the Flyers had Ilya Bryzgalov call them and give a sales pitch, ...and now Parise and Suter are just taking a few days trying to sort out whatever he said to them, or coming to grips with the tiny, dot like insignificance of whatever decision they make when weighed against the backdrop of an ever expanding univervse. Hopefully, he remembered to mention Philly's extrememely low bear population as a key selling point as well.)

The Flyers have signed Danny Syvret to provide organizational depth, and play a key role for Terry Murray's Phantoms.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Okay, time for my annual "I hate every move Paul Holmgren has made this summer" rant:

With the Flyers as expected, losing out in the Parise/Suter sweepstakes, a look at the current roster shows the team has thusfar traded in their biggest trade chip (JvR), lost at least one key free agent and potentially two in Jagr and Carle; failed to address their weakness on defense (acquiring Schenn, a project who at best needs a few years to develop), and have potentially weakened it significantly if they lose Carle, ...and by subtracting both JvR and Jagr have lost two top six wingers and turned a strength into a weakness.

As an added bonus, the mismanagment of the cap/tagging rule coupled with the market setting contract issued to Coburn last season, guarantees that if Carle is re-signed (which Holmgren is now in a position where he essentially has to re-sign him, or face a gaping hole in his defensive unit, with no obvious trade chips, or free agency options available to fill it) he will have to be signed to burdensome high cap hit, long term contract which will essentially handicap them from a cap perspective, and devalue Carle as a potential asset.

The only alternative, would be an expensive trade solution that's likely to cost the team another one of it's prime young players (Schenn, Couturier,Voracek).

They have stabilized the backup goaltending position by shipping out Bobrovsky for picks, and signing Leighton, ...but that's not a sure thing, and the team has had by most accounts a draft that was mediocre at best.

Not good marks for Holmgren so far this offseason, lots of work still to be done (one forward, one defenseman, a little size, and grit still needed, and realistically an upgrade on Shelly in the enforcer role), but dwindling options, and after the trades of JvR and Bobrovsky, and the loss of Jagr; not a lot of resources left to work with.

There IS some cap space, maybe a mediocre young defenseman (Bourdon, Gustafsson), or an overpriced one (Meszaros) to work with, but not much in terms of prospects, draft picks, or surplus assets assets at the pro level to work with.

Anything of value moved from the pro-roster would leave another hole to be filled.

The offseason has so far been for the most part a drain of assets from the organization with JvR, Bobrovsky, Jagr, this years draft picks, and probably Carle going out, ...and only Schenn, Leighton, and a couple of mediocre prospects coming back in.

As I see it right now, Holmgren's best chance at recovering will be to successfully re-sign Carle, and then successfully sign a good ufa forward (Doan's the only one I see), and a good fourth liner.

I've heard and read rumors about the Flyers being interested in Ryan
    (The Flyers apparently moved on after the Ducks kept changing the deal), and Nash (Howson still demanding a ransom), but now that Homers played the JvR, and Bobrovsky chips, and lost Jagr; I can't see him having enough resources to land either even at the cost of one of his young centers leading the package. At best it would seem to be an exchange of holes in the roster.

The good news, is that I'm usually on the "doubting Thomas" side of things when assessing Holmgren's moves, so I could be, and hopefully will be proven wrong, but it's tough right now to look at the current roster compared to the one that ended the season, and call it a step forward.

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's being reported that the Flyers are on the verge of signing defenseman Bruno Gervais to a one year deal.

Gervais is at best a seventh defenseman, and with Andreas Lilja already cemented into the role thanks to his over 35 contract, and younger, better alternatives like Bourdon, and Gustafsson available, in addition to the recently signed Danny Syvret, it's a very curious signing.

Gervais finished the season as a bottom pairing defenseman for the Bolts after being acquired from the Islanders where he's played the last few seasons, ...also as a bottom pairing guy.

He made the league minimum last season, and figures to do the same or close with the Flyers.

The Flyers currently have Timonen, Coburn, Grossman, Meszaros, and Schenn occupying five of the top six slots, are still in play for Carle, and would seem to have at least two better options in Bourdon, and Gustafsson in house.

With Gustafsson already figuring to be frozen off the the roster and headed to the Phantoms with the addition of Schenn, and Syvret signed to give the team organizational depth, it's hard to see where Gervais would fit in, unless the Flyers are making a serious effort to upgrade the Phantoms after recently hiring Terry Murray to coach them, and signing a number of minor leaguers (and buying out Oscar Bartulus)

The move also brings the Flyers up to 48 contracts or within two of the fifty contract maximum, ...there has to be a reason for the signing, but I'm not sure what it is yet.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; July 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Carle's signed with Tampa Bay, reportedly 6 years, 32.5 million

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    Carle's signed with Tampa Bay, reportedly 6 years, 32.5 million
    While I think Carle was overpaid.. I dont get why you would be willing to over pay suter to a record contract, but not over paying Carle a little bit.

Maybe they know more than we do.
    Girrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooux

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree Flyers Fan, Homer may have some crazy scheme in place that could turn things around, but, so far all I've seen this offseason is what I would call poor asset management
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting article from "TheHockeyGuys" that makes an argument that Gervais could be a legitimate third pairing defenseman.

link: http://thehockeyguys.net/bruno-gerva...elphia-flyers/

If true, it would of course sadly, mean the end of Paul Holmgren's record setting 467 consecutive "buy high" player acquisition streak.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I agree Flyers Fan, Homer may have some crazy scheme in place that could turn things around, but, so far all I've seen this offseason is what I would call poor asset management
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head imho: "Asset management"

That's the whole issue with Homgren, he does a great job at identifying and acquiring talent, a great job of accurately asessing his roster, ...but once he deems he doesn't need something "today", he sees little value in it and is willing to discard it rather than trying to maximize his resources.

I was writing in another thread, and someone was asking about Gustafsson's chances at getting a shot as the sixth defenseman this season.

I pointed out that the Flyers have KT, Coburn, Grossman, Meszaros, and Schenn locked into the first five slots, and that Lilja's over 35 deal pretty much guarantees him the seventh slot...

That means that the sixth slot is the only one up for grabs, and that Gustafsson was unlikely to get it because both Bourdon, and the newly signed Gervais would have to pass through waivers, while Gustafsson could still be sent to the Phantoms.

I figured the Flyers best way to maximize their resources would be to try to offload Lilja (or eat the cap hit and demote or waive him), demote Gustafsson to the AHL, give Bourdon a shot as the sixth d, and let Gervais fill the role as the seventh...

But the more I thought about, the more I realized this is likely to be a classic example of Homer's poor asset management, ...and either Bourdon or Gustafsson are likely to just be discarded for little or nothing before the season begins.

I hope I'm wrong though, because they both look to me to be NHL players, and are both already ahead of Lilja.

Dobber Sports Icon

Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers tried and failed to sign Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Matt Carle, and Jaromir Jagr. They did sign Ruslan Fedotenko and 3rd pairing Bruno Gervais. They might still add a veteran piece or two. They are interested in Shane Doan if he becomes available. Mike Knuble could be a possibility. Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan won’t be coming to the Flyers unless the Blue Jackets and Ducks lower their demands.

Just an update