Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Sage

Ducks, Flyers, and Wings are the three teams. OC Register link below.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/duc...ery-barry.html
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Banned

dub, what's your take on the garbage non goal call against the preds... Haven't we given your team enough already over the past year? It sure made me pissed... Should have went to OT at least...

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    dub, what's your take on the garbage non goal call against the preds... Haven't we given your team enough already over the past year? It sure made me pissed... Should have went to OT at least...
    lol! I'm still waiting for you guys to give us another D prospect for free. We'll take Blum whenever you're ready.

I actually missed the game, but I did read about it. I'm finding it more and more difficult to watch all 82 Ducks and Flyers games now that I'm married.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Banned

I hear ya on the married life... I hardly watch any games anymore.. Except when preds are on tv its a must, otherwise its bits and pieces...

Did manage to see that goal, but that was bullshit... You should watch the highlights on that one... Almost as ******ed as the dissallowed goal that ottawa received vs. detroit... Refs are really blowing calls lately.

As for another D man, that would actually be a good idea. We got tons of them in the pipeline and we can use some decent forwards...

Maybe you and me should run the preds and flyers

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Maybe you and me should run the preds and flyers
    Yeah...except if we let the current GMs keep doing what they're doing, we're more likely to see a Blum for Powe trade.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Veteran

Boy, I was fortunate enough to catch various replays of the controversial "no goal", ...and let me just say that the highly trained professionals hired by the NHL to make such calls; have once again distinguished themselves by exhibiting the typically exceptional sound judgement that we fans have all been fortunate enough to enjoy for years now.

Kudos to you, on ice officials! And Kudos to you Mr. Betman and to all of the other off ice league officals! It's your exemplary example that sets the tone for the fine on ice officiating we've come to expect.

(What, I'm saying is, ....Dutch is right, it was an absolutely BRUTAL call)
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Matt Carle has donated $10,000 to Children's Hospital, fulfilling a promise he made for doing so if he ever passed 10,000 followers on twitter.

It took him all of ten days.

Peter Laviolette went on the record today stating that the fans perception of this Flyers team is "Stanley Cup or bust", and that he agreed with it.

Coach Joey Mullen used the Flyers recent three day break to focus attention on puck and player movement on the powerplay, ...the Flyers got off to their typical slow start after a break, in the first period, but eventually warmed up and scored one of their prettiest tic tac toe power play goals of the season, ...all five players touched the puck, ...good to see the practice pay off.

Also, Zherdev seems to have already lost his spot with Giroux and the red hot Jeff Carter (17 pts in 12 games), Andreas Nodl skated there the other instead the other night, while Zherdev saw most of his shifts with Mike Richards and played a little under 9 minutes.

Carolina's Eric Cole did a commendable job of tap dancing around various questions about rumours of the Flyers being interested in aquiring him.

Former Flyer's current Anaheim prospect Patrick Maroon is apparently playing very well recently, ...of particular note with Dobber's top prospect list coming out today sans any Flyers players, and with the trade deadline approaching and various teams looking to add prospects.

Just goes to show, bad coaches can lose more than games for their organizations.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Administrator

Wanted to ask you about Darroll Powe. Kinda doing some long-term scouting for a sim league and noticed he's a bit of a standout even if he's purely a bottom-six player. He's outstanding in hits and blocked shots this season. Is he a legit long-term NHL player in your eyes?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Wanted to ask you about Darroll Powe. Kinda doing some long-term scouting for a sim league and noticed he's a bit of a standout even if he's purely a bottom-six player. He's outstanding in hits and blocked shots this season. Is he a legit long-term NHL player in your eyes?
    I like Powe. I think the presence of Blair Betts coupled with the Flyers cap problems, and his value to another team; may eventually cause him to be moved, but I have no doubt that he'd be just as productive on any other team, and that he has a long career ahead of him in that role.

He'd be the top penalty killer/ checking line center on a lot of teams, he's gotten a shot at time in a top six slot with the Flyers, but always as a winger, ...but the offensive production just doesn't seem to be there, so expecting anything more offensively from him may be a stretch, beyond the percentage jump that would correspond with an increase in icetime on a team with a traditional checking third line.

His work ethic has always been there, even when he was with the Phantoms, and just the other day he got a shout out from Claude Giroux for his willingness to sacrifice his body hitting and blocking shots (Giroux took a puck to the knee blocking a shot, and was talking to reporters about it, he deflected any praise and pointed out his admiration for players like Powe and Betts for selflessly doing it each and every game without getting any acknowledgement).

So, I guess what I'm saying (in my own long winded, disjointed way) is, ...yes, definitely; he's a long term NHLer, just don't expect the ceiling to be much higher than where he is now!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Flyer's were shutout by a superb Quick performance. Losing 1-0

All in all, after another slow first period, the Flyers played well, and generated 40 shots and some excellent chances. I know everyone seems to view Quick as a temporary solution in LA, but he looked like the real deal yesterday robbing Carter, Giroux, and Richards at different times.

Speaking of looking like the real deal, ...Bobrovsky was almost as impressive, I find goalies to be practically impossible to project, but Bobrovsky is well past the "unknown rookie on a roll" catagory, and passing into the "he'll be a starter for years" catagory, ...but then Jim Carey, Raycroft, Toksala, Mason, Rinne, Biron and others have made similar progress during their rookie years, only to struggle afterwards, ...some have or will recover, others not; so your guess is as good as mine here.

Lavs mixed up the lines with mixed results, ...Richards was flip flopped with Nodl, and played alongside Carter and Giroux, ...the line was generating chances continually, ...but no goals.

Nodl saw time at center, and didn't look particularly good. Zherdev was scratched, the Leino, Briere, Hartnell line remained together.

There are rumors popping up here and there that the Flyers are interesting in aquiring Versteeg from Toronto, which sounds reasonable, but that they're up JVR for him, ...which doesnt.

Toronto I have to believe would be more interested in putting together a package to try to bring in a fairly young first line center like Ottawa's Jason Spezza for instance (not that he's a great fit, ...but he is a fit, and reportedly available), than a power forward who's still a year or two away from making a strong offensive contribution.

Conversely, it's hard to imagine Holmgren giving up a young reasonably priced high upside power forward that he drafted second overall, and is still thrilled with, this early in the game with no glaring need to be filled for it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    Flyer's were shutout by a superb Quick performance. Losing 1-0

All in all, after another slow first period, the Flyers played well, and generated 40 shots and some excellent chances. I know everyone seems to view Quick as a temporary solution in LA, but he looked like the real deal yesterday robbing Carter, Giroux, and Richards at different times.

Speaking of looking like the real deal, ...Bobrovsky was almost as impressive, I find goalies to be practically impossible to project, but Bobrovsky is well past the "unknown rookie on a roll" catagory, and passing into the "he'll be a starter for years" catagory, ...but then Jim Carey, Raycroft, Toksala, Mason, Rinne, Biron and others have made similar progress during their rookie years, only to struggle afterwards, ...some have or will recover, others not; so your guess is as good as mine here.

Lavs mixed up the lines with mixed results, ...Richards was flip flopped with Nodl, and played alongside Carter and Giroux, ...the line was generating chances continually, ...but no goals.

Nodl saw time at center, and didn't look particularly good. Zherdev was scratched, the Leino, Briere, Hartnell line remained together.

There are rumors popping up here and there that the Flyers are interesting in aquiring Versteeg from Toronto, which sounds reasonable, but that they're up JVR for him, ...which doesnt.

Toronto I have to believe would be more interested in putting together a package to try to bring in a fairly young first line center like Ottawa's Jason Spezza for instance (not that he's a great fit, ...but he is a fit, and reportedly available), than a power forward who's still a year or two away from making a strong offensive contribution.

Conversely, it's hard to imagine Holmgren giving up a young reasonably priced high upside power forward that he drafted second overall, and is still thrilled with, this early in the game with no glaring need to be filled for it.
    I also don't see much merit to the Versteeg/JVR rumors. Like I said in a prior post here the Flyers are so deep that they limit the effectiveness of an "upgrade" because that player won't get enough ice time to be effective. If they really want to add a depth scorer why not look towards someone like Cory Stillman or Andrew Brunette who would no doubt cost less to acquire?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with you 100%!

...it's probably a rumor that's come out of Toronto.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Flyers seem to be going back to their more "normal" lines with a twist for tonight:

Carcillo Richards Nodl
    JVR Giroux Carter
    Hartnell Briere Leino
    Powe Betts either Shelley or Zherdev

Nice opportunity for Carcillo getting a look with Richards again. It actually looks more like a third line checking combo with Nodl there.

JVR can keep up with Carter and Giroux, and in theory his size/physicality should be a nice asset

Leino Briere and Hartnell thankfully remain untouched.

Powe and Betts are in for sure, no word on whether Shelley or Zherdev gets the last spot, ...Zherdev was scratched last game, Shelley for two games before that, kind of looks like Carcillo is pulling away in Lavs view and claiming the eleventh forward spot, and Zherdev and Shelley seem to be battling it out for the twelth, ...which has to say something about Zherdev's play with Giroux and Carter. Although, all season Zherdeve has rebounded with a strong performance after being a healthy scratch, so maybe Lavs is just trying to motivate him.

No changes in Defense pairings, and no word on starting goaltender yet.

Administrator

We were both correct that JVR was the wrong way to go. But the Flyers still get their guy while giving up far less. My only question is, with the Flyers always close to the cap, how do they manage Versteeg's salary next year?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Wow! I'm shocked! Never figured Toronto would be willing to give him up without getting some immediate help in return.

My first reaction was that, that first round draft pick must have been burning a hole in Homers pocket, ...but after seeing what Langenbrunner, and Fisher have gone for, ...it seems like a fair price, possibly a bit high, but who knows what other teams were offering.

That said, I can't figure out why Toronto would want to give up on a top six winger with upside so soon, and for no immediate return... maybe something more in the works there.

Good point about the cap, ...the Flyers were about 3.5M under (i remember from when they were pursuing Langenbrunner), and Versteeg makes a little over 3 million, so it fits, ...the problem I see is that there's now no possibility of re-signing Leino, so they're gonna be at risk of losing him, ...they have .5, assuming you subtract Zherdev's 1 million, if the cap were to go up by 2 million the Flyers conceivably could still resign him this summer, but Zherdev's surely gone now.

Other options are O'Donnell (1m), Shelley(1.5?), Betts, and possibly Boucher. There's enough there actually to make it work without a Blackhawks type firesale.

Lineup wise the Flyers have a few different directions to go:

They can keep Zherdev as injury insurance if they like.

They can play Versteeg with Richards and Nodl
    or with Richards and JVR.

They can leave the Briere, Leino, Hartnell line alone.

And they can conceivably still choose to spot Zherdev with Carter and Giroux, and bump Nodl to the fourth line come playoff time with Betts and Powe.

Carcillo and Shelley filling in as needed, it would give them alot of flexible when the inevitable happens and a forward goes down.

They've been so far at least, unusually healthy upfront this year.

likewise they may seek to move Zherdev and grab a depth defenseman, to slot either before or after Bartulis.

Definitely a stronger team now then before, gives Richards line a legitiate offensive threat for him to take advantage of, improves what was already the best fourth line in hockey, raises the speed and skill level even higher, and helps insulate them from injury to a degree.

...but it's been a long time since they've had a first round pick, and that'll probably eventually come and bite 'em in the butt.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; February 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM.