Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist. Best of luck in the rest of the series.
    bastard.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tough to offer an analysis of game three, what with the Flyers not being there and all.

Okay, now that that's out of the way:

Yes Boucher was lousy, and the fourth goal was brutal, ...but the first two Bruins goals, given up with less than two minutes played, weren't Boucher's fault, they were both excellent chances resulting from defensive breakdowns, and the team's showing up not ready to play.

The Flyers talked about being prepared for the Bruins initial surge, they knew it was coming, they seemingly got a boost from Jeff Carter coming back on one leg to play, ...their backs were against the wall, ...and yet, they came out flat, lazy, and disorganized.

Laviolette called his timeout less than two minutes into the game, with the team already down 2-0, but then spent it addressing Boucher instead of the team.

On the one hand you can argue that Boucher needed to be reassured or evaluated, on the other hand it was the rest of the team that seemed to be off to a horrendous start, and they might have benefited from Laviolettes guidance at that time.

Either way, you couldn't ask for a clearer indication of how the lack of solid goaltending has affected, and sapped energy both from the team and the coaches.

I felt that at that point a switch to Bobrovsky may have provided a spark to wake the guys up. Laviolette was confident that Boucher was still confident, and chose to stick with him.

The Flyers continued to play sloppy, and lazy. They were continually outhit, outworked, and outchanced; eventually falling behind 3-0, there was a little more fight to them as the game went on, they did generate some chances, ....mostly Giroux, JVR, and Richards, but then came the killer fourth goal from Horton.

Enter Bobrovsky, who actually played well, ...but it was over. More troublesome was the fact that much of the team seemed to accept that as well.

Nic Zherdev wound up sitting behind the Bruins net, and spotted Meszaros sneaking in for the only Flyers goal.

Carter made an admirable comeback, he was clearly laboring, and probably shouldn't have been playing, but he held his own, and did manage a few long range chances.

Much has been made of the Flyers goaltending woes, and the Bruin's goaltending excellence this series, but this is not Boucher costing the Flyers the series, or Thomas winning the Bruins the series. This is the Flyers being outcompeted by a talented, more motivated , harder working team.

If the Flyers show up from this point on, and play at the level they maintained to beat the Sabres, chances are that that either the Flyers goaltending loses them one, or the Bruins goaltending wins them one. Either way it's over.

I think the hole's too deep for this year's team to crawl out of.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about that, but regardless of what happens from here on out, there's still going to be the question remaining of how a team this talented, experienced, well paid, and well coached can show up so flat and unprepared in two out of the first three games of this series.

No injury updates (which is another issue) Shelley can play, Nodl, and Pronger still listed as day to day.

I'm guessing Bobrovsky gets the start for game 4. A gamble but at this point Laviolette has nothing to lose (...yanno, except his job )
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; May 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Master

Definitely Bob in Game 4. Boucher has his chance and wasn't able to get it done. Something needs to change. We can't just go in with Boucher again. We need a miracle and I don think that Boosh can give us the miracle. I'm not sure Bob can either, but we have to let him try.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bobrovsky's starting tonight for sure.

Carter didn't skate yesterday but is expected to play.

Pronger didn't skate, but Holmgren says he is "improving".

The Flyers are now only one goalie change away from having sole posession of the record. they are currently tied with the 1990 Blackhawks.

Tonight's 8:00 start time figures to work in the Flyers favor, ...yanno since they haven't seemed to be ready to play till about then even when the games have started earlier.

Is it true Pronger needs back surgery? I heard the Academy of Natural Sciences is donating vertebrae from their T-Rex exhibit. Apparently it's the closest they could find to "actual size".
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Is it true Pronger needs back surgery? I heard the Academy of Natural Sciences is donating vertebrae from their T-Rex exhibit. Apparently it's the closest they could find to "actual size".
    HAHA! just saw this! Gave me a nice laugh on a tough day. Thanks Bomm!

(...that vertabrae's just about the right age too.)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Frank Seravalli is reporting that the Flyers have signed 23 year old, 6'7" Finnish goaltender Niko Hovinen to an entry level contract.

link: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...evel-deal.html

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dan Carcillo has been suspeneded for two games for an off ice incident outside the officials dressing room between periods during game four of the Flyers series vs. the Bruins.

link: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...-incident.html

Did Carcillo have a legitimate gripe? Yes. Should he have gone to the officials room to address it? No.

But imho it was pretty clear during the Flyer's playoff games that there are some referees that do not like Carcillo, and have let that personal bias affect their judgement.

Carcillo was the recipient of more than one fantom call, numerous borderline calls, and it seemed to become apparent to opposing players that infractions against Carcillo would not be called by certain officials.

It became obvious that the personal grudges of these officials negated Carcillo's usefulness to the team.

To put it quite simply, he wasn't given an opportunity to play without the mystery calls placing his team at a shorthanded disadvantage.

It's unprofessional, it's unethical, and it's unfair, ...but it's reality. Consequently Carcillo would seem to have little future with the team, and as an unrestricted free agent, it will most assuredly cost the man alot of money, and jeapordize his livlihood.

So yeah, I can understand the guy being pissed off, and wanting to call the official on it, ...but he would have been better served keeping his cool, waiting to be traded and signed somewhere else, and then calling attention to it in the media.

I agree with calling attention to an officials unprofessional behavior, they simply have no right, but Carcillo's used extremely poor judgement here.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've stated all season that the Flyers organization has made a conscious decision to go "all in" compteting for the cup this season, and that the success or failure of this season's team would be based soley upon it's ability to achieve that goal.

Ridiculously high expectations to be sure, but given the roster and the team's playoff success last season, they were somewhat realistic.

The Flyers early exit from the Stanley Cup Tournament means a failing grade this season for the organization as a whole.

With that in mind, what I'd like to do here, is to take a critical look at some of the key components, and individual members of the organization. try to identify what worked, what didn't, and possibly why, and take a look at what can be or should be changed or adjusted going forward in order to give the club the best chance of achieving it's goal in the future.

I'd like to break the organizational components into the following areas: Ownership, Management, Coaching, and Personnel.

It is to be admittedly, and intentionally a harsh reckoning from top to botom. When the class as a whole has flunked the exam, there should be very few "A" grades given to the students.

So here goes, ...a hyper-critical look at the Flyers:

(part 1: a critical look at ownership)

Ownership: In Ed Snider the Flyers have historically enjoyed the luxury of having an owner that was committed, competitive, and wealthy enough to allow them to compete favorably from a financial perspective against any team in the league.

Unlike most other team owners who made their millions elsewhere and purchased their hockey teams as expensive toys and boibles of success, Snider used his club as the centerpiece to grow his broadcast empire around. His team, his building, his broadcast rights, his broadcast company. The Flyers success mattered to him perhaps more than it did to any other owner, he came in on the ground floor during the 1967 expansion, was heavily invested in, and proud of the progress of both the team and the league, and the game in the new hockey market of Philadelphia. Even building a number of inner city hockey rinks to attract new fans from the community.

For many years, they were his bread and butter, he's always been an ultra supportive unflinching asset for his GMs, players, and former employees to lean on over the years.

His wishes have been quite clear, and unchanging from day onel: Win.

If that meant taking care of his own players, it was Done. If that meant okaying the signing of an expensive free agent. Done. Need a practice facility? Want an in city AHL club? Wanna hire a scout away from another organization? Feel you need the highest payroll in the league? Wanna bury a bad contract in the minors? Done. Done. Done. Done, and Done.

Snider's provided the organization with as much of a competitive advantage as an owner can, only objecting when he feels the team is on the wrong path and needs correction.

Recently however, with Snider making the transition to media mogul, and taking a less active role, the team has slowly, but perceptively begun to fall under the influence of Comcast corporate influence.
    Look no further than the presence of Comcast Exec Peter Luukko at GM Paul Holmgren's side at the draft table, the WJC tournament etc.
    Last summer the Flyers used one of their few draft picks to select Luukko's son. Draw your own conclusions, but from my perspective I don't see him as a hockey guy, but an executive who's a fan and wants to be a hockey guy. I worry about interference, and influence from ownership for the first time. It's not a positive step. (Ask a Leafs fan what happens when non-hockey guys with power think they're hockey guys)

Additionally, less day to day involvement by Snider means his voice is heard less often in the league offices, in the past it wasn't unusual for Snider to wait outside a referees door, or bend a league offficial's ear over what he viewed as an unfair or inappropriate suspension. Take a look at the officiating, and the league's supplemental disciplinary system, it's certainly not the way it's supposed to be, but having a strong voice to be heard in the league offices matters. It's loss matters too.

Another step backwards from an ownership standpoint, is the decision to raze the original Spectrum and relocate the Flyers AHL affiliate to Adirondak.

There's a mega hotel/entertainment complex planned for the site, and lots of dollars to be made by many, but from a competive standpoint, the team had a huge advantage in having their AHL affiliate play across the street, being able to share practice facilities, and coaches, and having continual, and constant contact between the big league club and the Phantoms.

I submit that the fiasco that cost the Flyers Patrick Maroon, and resulted in the eventual player mutiny and firing of the AHL coach, would not have been able to deteriorate to that level had Holmgren and the Flyers staff had constant contact with the AHL club. Likewise the easy and quick access to their AHL players, and the ability to use NHL team's support staff, traveling secretary etc, was another advantage that was lost. The team's goaltenders had limited access to the Flyer's goaltending coach who's primary responsibility is to the NHL club, but would have had a much easier time staying an hour late after practice to work with a prospect than having to travel to Upstate New York to do so.

I know it's a harsh critique, of an ownership that's traditionally been the best in the business, but that's the whole point of this exercise.

(part 2 GM/Coaching) to be continued...

Dobber Sports Veteran

My sources within the Flyers organization have told me that strengthening the team's goaltending is the #1 offseason priority.

The signing of Finnish goaltending prospect Niko Hovinen was just the first fruits of a larger, well organized, multipronged, exceedingly conplex, and secretive comprehensive plan which the team has formulated to address the situation.

I was able to obtain a copy of this top secret plan to share with fellow Dobber readers:

(from Travis Hughes blog @ Broadstreethockey.com)
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; May 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

LOL, priceless.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    My sources within the Flyers organization have told me that strengthening the team's goaltending is the #1 offseason priority.

The signing of Finnish goaltending prospect Niko Hovinen was just the first fruits of a larger, well organized, multipronged, exceedingly conplex, and secretive comprehensive plan which the team has formulated to address the situation.

I was able to obtain a copy of this top secret plan to share with fellow Dobber readers:

(from Travis Hughes blog @ Broadstreethockey.com)
    Normally I would burst in laughter but somehow I think some of you might have incorrectly interpreted the sign. I believe it's an actual ad.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Zherdev's been arrested in Russia following a fight with his wife where he apparently chased and beat her Bentley with a pipe, and threatened her.

Here's the link: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-his-wife.html

Also I should add that there is absolutely no truth to those irresponsible internet rumors that the Flyers have issued a statement attributing the incident to a "wardrobe malfunction" Nor have they, as has been erroneously reported by Tim Panaccio, provided Zherdev with a clubhouse lawyer to represent him.

Bruins forward Mark Recchi did raise a few eyebrows when he publicly suggested that the Bentley was perhaps embellishing the incident in an attempt to get Zherdev suspended. Noting that the Bentley was apparently tweeting from a nearby carwash a short time after the incident.

In response to the incident, Air Canada has threatened to withdraw it's sponsorship of aloof, unmotivated, one-dimensional headcases.

The NHL concluded it's investigation and determined the incident to be a "lunch date gone wrong" and found no cause for suspension.
    Last edited by Flyer Fan; May 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Awesome.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    Zherdev's been arrested in Russia following a fight with his wife where he apparently chased and beat her Bentley with a pipe, and threatened her.

Here's the link: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-his-wife.html

Also I should add that there is absolutely no truth to those irresponsible internet rumors that the Flyers have issued a statement attributing the incident to a "wardrobe malfunction" Nor have they, as has been erroneously reported by Tim Panaccio, provided Zherdev with a clubhouse lawyer to represent him.

Bruins forward Mark Recchi did raise a few eyebrows when he publicly suggested that the Bentley was perhaps embellishing the incident in an attempt to get Zherdev suspended. Noting that the Bentley was apparently tweeting from a nearby carwash a short time after the incident.

In response to the incident, Air Canada has threatened to withdraw it's sponsorship of aloof, unmotivated, one-dimensional headcases.

The NHL concluded it's investigation and determined the incident to be a "lunch date gone wrong" and found no cause for suspension.
    Sounds like the Tiger Woods incident, except Zherdev played the role of Woods' wife.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust