Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Flyers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Philadelphia Flyers

1/21/11 Quick Notes From Last Night's Game:

- Chris Pronger returned, and was "eased" back in with 20 minutes of icetime. 2 Assists, 2PMs, and +1 playing with Matt Carle. He didn't really participate in any of the extracurriculars, and seemed to be moving okay.

- JVR led all Flyers forwards in icetime with a shade under 19 minutes, and became the 9th Flyer with 10 or more goals.

- Briere centering Hartnell and Leino was again overall the Flyers best line.

- Richards was easily the Flyers best player. 2G,2A,4PTS,+2 He seems to be making the decision to omit him from the All-Star game look increasingly silly. He would seem to have a good shot as an injury replacemtment if anyone else pulls out.

-Carter and Giroux were the Flyers only minus players, each at -1. Each had a fight as well, Notably Giroux survived unscathed from what looked like a mismatch with a much larger Nick Foligno. Jody Shelley's job appears safe for the time being.

-Zherdev got about 12.5 minutes, had one shot and wasn't a factor.

-Powe seemed to be having an off game.

- Bobrovsky played decent, and was certainly not spectacular, allowed two clunkers. Well, maybe one clunker, and one debatable... He's been providing the Flyers with "decent" goaltending though, which for this team seems to be good enough, ...for now.

- Gonchar saw about 17 minutes of icetime, ...akin to the Flyers Sean O'Donnell's TOI. Only much more expensive.

- Purely my opinion: The Sens hung together and kept battling for each other. Nice to see the competitive fire still burning in a team having such a rough time of late. But they didn't look particularly well organized, or talented. They look like a team that would benefit greatly from the energy and sense of direction provided by a change of the GM and coach.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

The Magnificent One

nice we have a flyers reporter now.

so i have a BIG question. what is going on with carcillo this year. why are thye not playing him? he has worked hard and done what has been asked of him time and time again. last year he controlled those PIMs when asked and when put on the scoring richards line he responded with shots and points. so why are they press boxing him for over half the games this season? do they really need zherdev and bums who score once in awhile. there offense is already good enough..

any insight to him as i am still holding onto him in 2 leagues hoping for what he gave us last yr.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Administrator

Welcome aboard. It just didn't feel right not having a Flyers presence here...

As a Habs fan I've come to dislike the Flyers and their players but I respect their talent and their management's ability to implement the system at all levels of the organization. They're pumping in good young talent at a pace that is too fast for a salary cap. And that's not a bad thing.

My question is about Bobrovsky. I know he's 22 and is a toddler by goalie standards. But we know the history of the Flyers and their (lack of) goalie development. So what's going to happen with Bob? Is he going to settle in as the goalie of the future? Or is he going to struggle and move on to another team?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome Buddy! I see GMGates followed through with my recommendation. Perfect member for the Flyers. Well spoken and respectful

I am going to sticky this thread
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Welcome Buddy! I see GMGates followed through with my recommendation. Perfect member for the Flyers. Well spoken and respectful

I am going to sticky this thread
    and I'm glad to see Flyer Fan accepted! Hopefully the post in the ramblings generates a few more team coverages. Keep a look out for other forum members and send me some recommendations!

Oh... and officially welcome you to the team FF! Enjoy
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Veteran

Welcome man sure you will do a great job around here!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hi all, sorry for the slackage, I've had company all weekend. (...and was still mourning yesterday's tragic loss to the Devils.)

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    nice we have a flyers reporter now.

so i have a BIG question. what is going on with carcillo this year. why are thye not playing him? he has worked hard and done what has been asked of him time and time again. last year he controlled those PIMs when asked and when put on the scoring richards line he responded with shots and points. so why are they press boxing him for over half the games this season? do they really need zherdev and bums who score once in awhile. there offense is already good enough..

any insight to him as i am still holding onto him in 2 leagues hoping for what he gave us last yr.
    Hi Newper! You picked a perfect time for that question!

I think a few things have happened that have hurt Carcillo's icetime this season:

First and foremost, the depth at forward is better, and the competition tougher.

Last season, for the most part Gagne struggled, Hartnell was aweful, Briere struggled, Giroux was still being spoon fed minutes, Nodl was in the pressbox or the AHL, Powe was strictly fourth line, JVR hadn't found his offensive game, even Leino didn't click with anyone till the playoffs.

This season, Briere with Hartnell and Leino has been the teams best line, Giroux has blossomed into an allstar, JVR and Nodl have both found their offensive games and are proving to be steady contributors. Add Richards and Carter to the mix, ...and 8 of the top nine spots are locked; which means if Carcillo is to play he either has to beat out both Zherdev and Powe for that last top nine spot, ...or he has to displace the other of Zherdev or Powe, or Shelley, or Betts for a spot on the fourth line.

Last season Carcillo had some success adding a physical component to a line with Gagne and Mike Richards, ...but he kind of got exposed there too, ...as the playoffs went deeper, and the pace quickened, Carcillo struggled to keep up (Ashaam too), the Flyers came to the conclusion that he was miscast as a scoring line winger, and since the Flyers weren't deploying a traditional third line checking unit, and had better, quicker checking line players available anyway (Powe,Nodl) that Carcillo's best fit was as a fourth line "energy" type of player.

Likewise the Flyers became convinced that Carcillo was facing too big of a physical disadvantage against the leagues "heavyweights", and that they would have to bring in someone to fill that role (Shelley)

But Shelley can only help if he's on the bench, so he gets one of the fourth line spots.

Likewise, Blair Betts gets another based on his defensive/faceoff/penaltykilling skills.

That leaves one spot between Carcillo, or Powe. Powe kills penalties, is a better defensive play, a better skater, does bring some grit, and can chip in the odd goal.

It's not that Carcillo's played poorly, it's just that there guys there that can fill each role a little bit better than he can, ...where he still has value, and in fact got into the lineup today because of, ...is as an energy player.

Carcillo's energy is hard to match, and while he's very closely watched by the league and the referees because of his "reputation", in games like yesterday afternoon's snorefest loss to the Devils, Carcillo's a guy that will go out and stir the pot, and help to get the guys into the game.

Imho, that's exactly the reason Lavs had him in the lineup today, (10+minutes)
    They've periodically gotten good results with a "sandpaper" line of Betts centering Carcillo and Shelley(who's turned out to be a better skater, and defensive forward than i thought), ....but today that decision was an easy one for Lavs to make because JVR was dinged.

Zherdev had a nice game today as well, playing with Carter and Giroux, ...it's his offensive potential, ...or more to the point, ...the potential they feel he has to help get production out of their top guys, that keeps him in the lineup. Wheras after being overexposed last season, Lavs has made his mind up that Carcillo would only hinder guys like Richards or Carter. His skill trumps Danny's heart in their minds.

Hope that makes at least SOME sense!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Welcome aboard. It just didn't feel right not having a Flyers presence here...

As a Habs fan I've come to dislike the Flyers and their players but I respect their talent and their management's ability to implement the system at all levels of the organization. They're pumping in good young talent at a pace that is too fast for a salary cap. And that's not a bad thing.

My question is about Bobrovsky. I know he's 22 and is a toddler by goalie standards. But we know the history of the Flyers and their (lack of) goalie development. So what's going to happen with Bob? Is he going to settle in as the goalie of the future? Or is he going to struggle and move on to another team?
    Hi dude!

I'm not sure the Flyers even know what to expect from Bobrovsky long term at this point, ...they seem to be very content riding the horse for as long as it wins, and as you saw with Leighton/Emery/Biron/Nitty etc, when it stops, they look for a new one (cheap)

Coming into the preseason, he wasn't even viewed as their top prospect, ...just a guy with potential they wanted to take a look at.

If I had to guess, ...after watching Chicago's experience with Niemi, I would say if he starts to struggle, they're do what they've been doing, grab the best available stopgap at the time, and move on.

But, In all honesty I have no idea how Bobrovsky projects down the line, ...Star? Starter? Jorneyman? Backup? Add that to the Flyers organizational Goalie dysfunctionality, and chances are he doesn't get a chance to ride out the storm that's surely going to arise at some point.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Even I noticed a few things watching the Flyers/Hawks today:

The Hawks seem to be playing at a slower tempo this season.

The Flyers having removed guys like Asham and Carcillo from the top nine, in lieu of guys like Zherdev and Nodl seemed to have no problem matching the Hawks speed up front.

I don't miss Ryan Parent.

With JVR out, Zherdev was moved onto the wing to play with Carter and Giroux. It's a sick combination of speed and skill, at the final tally, that had nine points among them, and were the Flyers best line.

Last season the Flyers had one of the worst 5/6 defense pairing in the league, and were continually exploited by the Hawks(amongst others )

This season, they would seem to have one of the best, ...although Pronger, Kimmo, Carle, and company offer O'Donnel and Meszaros a great deal of insulation.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just a couple of tidbits:

The Flyers waived D Matt Walker (1.7M), he's expected to go unclaimed, and be assigned to the Phantoms.

There's a rumor floating around that the Flyers are considering making a pitch for Carolina's Eric Cole.

Waiving Walker makes Cole's salary work, or an extension for Leino possible.

Administrator

Do they really need any more depth up front? Not discrediting the move as Cole is a good player but I just question how much of an upgrade he would actually be in the big picture.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Do they really need any more depth up front? Not discrediting the move as Cole is a good player but I just question how much of an upgrade he would actually be in the big picture.
    I agree with you. It would add a little size, grit, and experience, and allow either Nodl or Zherdev to be bumped out of the top nine, ...and if it's Nodl that would make for an interesting fourth line of Betts with Powe and he come playoff time.

But, the Flyers seem to be reaching the point of diminishing returns, ...unless they can get him awfully cheap, ...which I can't see either.

I think they'ld be better served either keeping Walker as a seventh D, or possibly trying to upgrade there, ...odds are one of the defensemen will get dinged somewhere during the playoffs.

But even there the Flyers seem to have good depth...

Solid, solid lineup, ...except for the annual goaltending questions, ...but the way Boucher and Bobrovsky are playing, ...there doesn't seem to be any clear cut upgrade to be had there either.

Nice problem to have! It's gonna be fun to watch how it plays out!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I already posted this in another thread , but figured i may as well post it here too:

Matt Walker cleared waivers as expected today and was assigned to the Phantoms.

This gives the Flyers approximately 3.6 Million of cap space to take on another player with.

Cole's contract is for either 2.7 or 2.8 Million, so the deal is doable if the Flyers are seriously interested in him.

Also today, Asst. GM John Paddock was quoted as saying that the Flyers would still like to improve their forward depth, but don't view it as a critical need and aren't willing to pay a premium to do so.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Flyers rebounded from their flat performance against the Bolts and put together a strong effort last night.

Bobrovsky played well.

Leino had a great game, played with Hartnell and Briere mostly, but earned some extra shifts and saw time with Carter and Giroux, ...where he looked GREAT! A nice problem to have.

Various reporters are saying that the Flyers are debating whether or not to make a trade to add a forward, ...supposedly concerned about upsetting what they feel is great chemistry in the room.

Supposedly those concerns have not stopped the Flyers from discreetly inquiring as to Ray Emery's willingness to consider signing a two way contract.

ESPN's Darren Dreiger reports that there are three teams interested in Emery, ...believed to be the Red Wings, Flyers, and an unnamed team (Islanders?)

By signing a two way contract Emery would be able to be signed, then assigned to an AHL team for playing time, then recalled in case of injury etc., without having to pass through waivers.

The Flyers already have Leighton and Backstrom signed to one way contracts next year, but Leighton is still playing with numbness in his foot after back surgery, and the team doesn't seem to have much confidence in Backstrom.

Brian Boucher is scheduled to become a UFA after the season, so looking forward, a tandem of Emery/Bobrovsky would seem to be an upgrade.

For what it's worth, Emery claims he's moving side to side much better now than when he was here trying to play through the hip problem.

Jody Shelley was able to play last night, but remained scratched in favor of Dan Carcillo, ...likely Lavs wanting his energy after the Team sleepwalked through a loss to Tampa.