Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabokov to sign with Detroit?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Smart move by Holland (again). Here is why?

1. Howard is in a contract year and not playing that great. This move places more pressure on Howard to succeed. Best case scenario - Howard proves that he belongs and DET signs him to an extension knowing that he can get the job done. Worst case scenario - Howard re-signs for less than he would've if DET is left without a #1 G option at the end of the year (ie - they don't make the Nabby signing).

2. Any goalie in the DET system only has to play average to win games. With Howard and Nabby together, this team has a VERY VERY solid tandem. Remember, Nabby won't have to steal games playing in front of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, etc. etc. Just another team deciding that the 1a - 1b tandem situation is easier to execute in todays competitive NHL.

Smart move on Hollands part. Especially considering that the only goalie they have under contract past this season (2010-11) is.....well NOBODY. I can only assume that it's a multiyear contract which makes the decision for other teams to claim him even more difficult.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I hope to hell he doesn't get picked up by someone like Ottawa though because I really don't want to waste my #1 WW priority on an Ottawa goalie.
    I thought WW priority was for players that have been waived. Nabakov would come into your league as FA wouldn't he?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Smart move by Holland (again). Here is why?

1. Howard is in a contract year and not playing that great. This move places more pressure on Howard to succeed. Best case scenario - Howard proves that he belongs and DET signs him to an extension knowing that he can get the job done. Worst case scenario - Howard re-signs for less than he would've if DET is left without a #1 G option at the end of the year (ie - they don't make the Nabby signing).

2. Any goalie in the DET system only has to play average to win games. With Howard and Nabby together, this team has a VERY VERY solid tandem. Remember, Nabby won't have to steal games playing in front of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, etc. etc. Just another team deciding that the 1a - 1b tandem situation is easier to execute in todays competitive NHL.

Smart move on Hollands part. Especially considering that the only goalie they have under contract past this season (2010-11) is.....well NOBODY. I can only assume that it's a multiyear contract which makes the decision for other teams to claim him even more difficult.
    Very well said, I couldn't agree more DY.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Icon

Depends on your league set-up.

All of my leagues are set-up so that players being added to the FA Pool have to follow waiver rules first. So there is a 2 day waiting period in which anyone can put a claim on him.

In yahoo leagues, you can see this under the "League scoring and settings" tab beside the "Post Draft Players" section.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Icon

wouldn't let me delete this double post for some reason...
    Last edited by 4T2; January 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM. Reason: double post

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    I thought WW priority was for players that have been waived. Nabakov would come into your league as FA wouldn't he?
    In some leagues because he wasn't available prior to signing, he must clear waivers first before becoming a free agent.

Dobber Sports Veteran

There's no way someone won't claim him first. He has no chance of passing through that many teams.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    There's no way someone won't claim him first. He has no chance of passing through that many teams.
    It really depends on the structure of the contract. Multiyear with NMC/NTC and over 2 million dollars would surely stop some teams from plucking him.

But, I do think he will get claimed

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    Holland is smart and a multi-year deal will keep many teams already feeling the cap crunch or those who have ownership issues will probably not put claims in on him.

I do think that on a one-year deal, someone would snag him though.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    wouldn't let me delete this double post for some reason...
    Post of the year nominee

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Just traded Ryane Clowe for another poolie's #1 WW pick (pick of my choosing) in anticipation of Nabokov's arrival. She has #1 priority, and I own Howard, Rinne and Elliott. This would at the very least protect me IFF Detroit signs Nabby without getting claimed. I hastily proposed this trade but I need help in goaltending...was this a smart move?
    Last edited by 403GL; January 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Strange tweet from Dreger...

Hard to imagine Nabokov doesn't get claimed at $570,000 or as the last tweet indicated.....roughly $250,000 prorated

What last tweet??

Can we talk about Nabby's value if and when he starts playing for a moment.

IF he does go to Detroit I see him starting something like 25-30% of Detroit's games behind Howard for the rest of the season and having something around a 2.4 GAA and .910 SV% anyone see these numbers as being way off?

If he gets picked up I guess it totally depends upon who picks him up which will determine # of starts, # of shots faced per game and GAA.

Right Now I have Anderson, Crawford and Neuvirth in my league would anyone drop Neuvirth to add Nabby? I could burn a skater roster spot but don't love holding 4 goalies.

Neuvirth played well in his previous 2 starts but then got hurt on Tuesday and is DTD I suspect he'll start about the same # of games the rest of the year as Nabokov would in Detroit. Maybe I'll grab him before anyone else can and hold for trade bait to a manager needing a goalie.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejaka View Post
    Strange tweet from Dreger...

Hard to imagine Nabokov doesn't get claimed at $570,000 or as the last tweet indicated.....roughly $250,000 prorated

What last tweet??

this one: http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/s...01515587993600

@capgeek. Deal still isn't done, but $570,000 for the rest of the year is what I'm told. Pro-rated to about $250,000. #nhl #redwings

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    No way he slips through waivers at that rate.....what a bargin