Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ray Emery, Martin Gerber - and a Desperate Media

I...am your father.

Default Ray Emery, Martin Gerber - and a Desperate Media

There is a lot of controversy in Ottawa. Apparently, Ray Emery has been... not so much complaining as he is making overtures about his lack of playing time. Yesterday he slammed his stick in frustration. Today, the team sent him home to Ottawa because he is sick.

The media is making quite the big deal of this. My first instinct is to take the side that is opposite of the media, because they want to sell their papers, and clicks, and shows, etc. Often, I laugh when I read an article in the paper - not because it is funny, but because the writer is trying to make news rather than report it.

On the other hand, who needs to go home with the flu? Can\'t they get chicken soup in the hotel? Whatever the case, who cares - the fact of the matter is that the media is putting a lot of pressure on Ray Emery and on the Sens\' management about Ray Emery.

And that, my friends, is what usually results in a trade. I didn\'t think the Sens would trade a goalie, but now I have to wonder.

That is ALL I am taking from this. If I own Emery, I would now get my hopes up about a deal.

But as for his play, try not to read too much into what the media makes into a big deal.
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

how are emery\'s recent antics going to affect gerber\'s playing time? as a gerber owner, i\'m hoping it stays around the same ammount it\'s been in december, with gerber having taken far more than 50% of the starts (however much of this was due to emery\'s hip injury). Might this hope turn in to a reality?
    Currently drafting keeper

12 team roto, daily lineups

G,A,PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Faceoff Wins

W, SO, GAA, SV%

C: Tavares, Zajac, Brassard, Filppula
    LW: Parise, Clowe, Penner, Bourque
    RW: Hemsky, Giroux, Alfredsson, Radulov
    D:Myers, Yandle, Carle
    G: Rinne, Ward, Gustavsson

Farm: Filatov, Hodgson, Wilson, Skinner, Grabner, Sbisa, Moore, Stepan

Dobber Sports Pro

All Aboard The Darth Gerber Bandwagon....
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Stud

I hope Lombardi\'s phone is ringing. I need a deal to happen soon. lol.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree Dobber too much media hype too little about what is really happening there.

I...am your father.

dbellan wrote:
    how are emery\'s recent antics going to affect gerber\'s playing time? as a gerber owner, i\'m hoping it stays around the same ammount it\'s been in december, with gerber having taken far more than 50% of the starts (however much of this was due to emery\'s hip injury). Might this hope turn in to a reality?
    It wouldn\'t surprise me if this roller-coastered back the other way again, but so far it\'s looking pretty good for Gerber owners. I have to finally admit that he\'ll get 30 wins this year after all!
    B)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Why does everyone think Los Angeles wants to add Emery, or Raycroft or any other pluggish goalie? They have Bernier very close to being a lock on the team. They cut Sean Avery a few years ago for attitude problems, so adding a sulky player who isn\'t happy being on a Stanley Cup team ceratinly isn\'t in the cards either.

I think Los Angeles is happy where they are in terms of their rebuilding, and they definately have a roster I would switch with the Maple Leafs right now. Instead of adding temporary players, they have a young core group that has the potential of consistently making the playoffs in the West, it just takes a bit of time and patience.

I...am your father.

MysteryMike: as great as Bernier is - and he is great - and as capable as he is of playing next season - and he is quite capable - I think the Kings would prefer to wait until he is 22 or even 23. Goalies take a long time to develop and sometimes they never truly reach their potential if they are brought in too early.
    Getting Emery for two seasons before he is a UFA...the timing might be perfect.
    That being said, I think the Lightning need him more.

Dobber Sports Expert

I disagree Mike, I don\'t think L.A. can be happy at all with how the team is performing, I think expectations were much greater for this season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

In the meantime, I wandered over to the Senators dressing room and discovered a bit of a mess. Backup goalie Ray Emery was sent home after arriving at 10:55 a.m. for an 11:00 practice. The team insisted that he\'s sick, but not many folks are buying that. He reportedly threw a tantrum after the morning skate yesterday, tossing his stick into the empty stands and knocking down some water bottles.
    taken from:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

I...am your father.

\"not many folks are buying that\"

My point is, I do buy it. And my other point is, the media is causing the stir and creating the story. However, that\'s often enough to force the trade...
    B)
    PS - if practice was at 11, Dobber would be there at 10:59 so good for Emery for being early! :lol:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dont send him to TB, I just picked up Ramo.

I dont think I could have done any worse in drafting goalies this year.
    C - Roy, Spezza, B. Richards
    RW - Hemsky, Doan (LW)
    LW - Ray Whitney, D. Sedin, Marleau (C), Kostitsyn
    D - Spacek, Weber, S. Niedermayer, Suter
    G - Nabokov, Khabibulin , Turco
    IR Selanne

Dobber Sports Ace

goaltending is the least of TB\'s problems, their big 3 contracts are killing them, and the loss of Boyle, they need some depth on their team in all areas. Ramo et al can only stop so many shits and good oppourtunites
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Padawan

All I know is I had Emery, Lundqvist and Fleury last season. I decided to keep Emery for this season and he has been a bust. I ended up trading Toskala (my backup) for Miller a about 6 weeks ago. Miller has been up and down also.

I will not trade emery at this point as he is at the low end of his worth.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ray Emery is not a number 1 goalie anyway....on any team. His stats were \'elevated\' last year because he played on a great defensive minded team who can also score goals. Sure even Gerbs struggled at the beginning of last year but the whole team struggled.
    I think OTT should trade him before his stock gets 2 low (\'riding\' the wave to the stanley cup finals definitely increased his stock last year)and be happy to get a few draft picks in return.
    When Ottawa is playing their best hockey you can put a guy in a wheel chair in net and his stats will be good. Gerbs will be just ok and trading Emery means trading away a controversial \'thugged\' personality who is not a sound goalie. LA or Tam may take the bait hopefully but thats only because they are desparate...DEAL NOW!!!
    MonkeySnots