Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Washington Capitals

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Great stuff Mike. Really enjoying the game recaps & analysis.
    Thank you!
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Winter Classic 2011 Game Recap

What a game for Caps fans!!!! Before I get into the game recap, let me just say that NBC's camera work was horrific! I am not sure why they thought camera angles from so far away were such a novel idea. I have always disliked the way NBC seems to zoom out just a little too far during their hockey coverage, but these new skycam angles took the cake. I nearly threw up in my mouth several times when they would rotate the skycam 180 degrees as the puck crossed the centerline. I think NBC was catching on to the dislike of the camera work and started to zoom in a little more half way through the 2nd period. I hope they receive a lot of feedback about their coverage and start zooming in enough on future coverage to read players numbers, not to mention player's names. I am not sure why it is important to see the entire rink during play if you are unable to see player's numbers. It was very comical reading the tweets I was getting about the camera work.

Here are the top 5 tweets I received during the game:

@HornGuy (Caps unofficial "Let's go Caps" horn blower): #NBCFail for the extreme high-angle shot during the #Caps power play

@LoudGoat (Guy who yells "Let's go Caps" during every home game): Somebody in the NBC control booth is really feeling their "creative side" tonight... and REALLY sucking at covering sports as a result.

@TheHornGuy : Am I the only one getting vertigo from these ridiculous camera tricks? Bleeeaaarrgh.

@ngreenberg (Neil, www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com): NBC is right, seeing goals scored is overrated (See the link further down for Fehr's 1st goal)

@ngreenberg (Neil, RMNB): Coincidentally, NBC cameras are 51.7 miles away from rink RT @SkyKerstein: Official gametime temp 51.7 degrees#Caps
    Game Recap:

The first period was scoreless but featured a fight between John Erskine and Michael Rupp. I wish a could report that the fight was the bout it could have been, but unfortunately due to a problem with a contact lens Michael Rupp had to ask the referee to stop the fight. It seems that a lot of people are suggesting Rupp tapped out because he was scared of Erskine or something along those lines...that kind of gibber gabber just sucks. Had Rupp not had a problem seeing, it would have been a hell of a fight!

After a scoreless first period, Evgani Malkin scored a breakaway goal assisted by Kris Letang and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury . The goal was Malkin's 14th goal of the season . Fleury's assist was his first of this season and his third consecutive season with an assist. This was the 27th assist Kris Letang (who leads my fantasy team in assists) this season.

The Capitals answered that goal four minutes later with a power-play goal by Mike Knuble. The goal was assisted by Nicklas Backstrom (26th assist) and Mike Green (11th assists). I have been saying that the Caps poor performance in converting power-plays to goals in previous (who knows how many) games has been a really big issue. It was good to see the Caps get back into the game with a goal scored during a power-play.
    The next goal also came from the Caps with a Eric Fehr(6th goal) one timer, setup from a pass from behind the net by Marcus Johannson(4th assist) from behind the net. The secondary assist was given to Jason Chimera(7th assist). This was the goal that NBC showed via the mars cam.

The Penguins were unable to answer the Caps second goal during the remainder of the 2nd period and were also unsuccessful in the 3rd period. Eric Fehr (7th goal) struck again in the 3rd period with a breakaway goal setup by a centering pass from Jason Chimera(8th assist). The secondary assist was given to John Erskine(6th assist).

The Steckel hit on Crosby in the last few seconds of the 2nd period continues to be a big topic of conversation. To me the hit looked like 2 guys who didn€™t see each other and ran into each other. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't, but Steckel who only has 17 penalty minutes this season, isn't a retaliatory kind of player, and I doubt he would want to be known as the guy who targeted the golden boy of hockey. I feel like this hit was handled by the referees and should be left as it was called on the ice. It is the same thing with Mike Greens shot that was caught on top of the goal line by Fleury in the previous meeting. It might have been a goal, it wasn't definitive, the call on the ice was made, let's all move on!

Semyon Varlamov stopped 32 of 33 shots during the game for a SV% of .970. Varly was named the the 1st star of the week by the NHL. Marc Andre-Fleury stopped 29 of 32 shots for a SV% of .906.

Mike Green, who usually leads the team nightly in ice-time, had fewer minutes than both John Carlson(26:28) and Karl Alzner(24:25). Green had 21:15 minutes on the ice. I read somewhere that Boudreau has finally watched 24/7, so perhaps the 3rd episode showing the Pens locker room specifically mentioning targeting Green played into the reduced minutes. Another time on ice stand out from this game was Mathieu Perreault who had the third most power play minutes with 2:13, trailing Ovechkin and Green who both had 2:32.

A few random items:

Caps and Pens shoot field goals at Heinz Field (not a great quality video, but still kind of cool)

Ovechkin hangs out with friends and family after practice until 4:00pm on the 31st, which happens to be midnight in Moscow. (This link features an Atomic Wedgie!)

Second installment by Mathieu Perreault on OnFrozenBlog.com

Capitals/Lightning pre-game report will be posted in an hour or two! (Went to practice this morning, and Varly was the first goalie off of the ice.)
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; January 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm a Ducks fan first, but I follow the Caps pretty closely as well. Posting here so I can "subscribe" to this thread.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    I'm a Ducks fan first, but I follow the Caps pretty closely as well. Posting here so I can "subscribe" to this thread.
    Glad to have you! Let me know what you think, and what I can do to improve!

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Capitals/Lightning preview 1/4/11

Warning: This will not be as interesting of a game preview as normal since the NHL has not posted game notes for tonight's game yet. That is where I get a lot of my facts and tidbits, so I will see if I can tie them into the post game recap!

Tonight will be another tough game for the Capitals who are coming off of a win against Pittsburgh in the Winter Classic. The Capitals have already faced the Tampa Bay Lightning two times this year, earning wins in each one. Tonight's game will be much different as Tampa Bay has is 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. Tampa Bay will start newly acquired Dwayne Roloson in goal. Roloson was the result of a trade with the New York Islanders on January 1st. NYI received minor league defenseman Ty Wishart. Roloson is veteran goalie who has a .916 save percentage, and averages 2.64 goals against.
    The Capitals and the Lightning are very close statistically in almost all categories. Categories with the largest difference are Goals Against/Game, with the Caps besting the Lightning 2.58-3.08. The Lightning has a stronger power play, converting 23.1% of the time, while the Caps are successful in scoring in 18.9% of power plays. Both teams are almost even in power play killing, with the Caps leading 85.2-84.9.

As I have said, and will continue to say, a major key to the Caps game tonight will be scoring on the power play. They were finally able to do this against Pittsburgh at the classic, and although recently proving the ability to win 5 on 5, the Capitals have to focus on taking advantage of their opponents mistakes.

It will be interesting to see if a few trends from the Winter Classic carry over to tonights game. Mike Green who usually has the most ice time for the Caps was beaten out in the Classic by Alzner and Carlson. Mathieu Perreault received the third most power play time against the Penguins. It seems Boudreau has shown his confidence in Matty P several times this season in shootouts, and now in PP time. As for Green's diminished ice time, maybe the Caps know that the opposition targets him and think it will throw off their plan if he isn't on the ice to be targeted?

Varly was the first off of the ice today and the morning skate, so he will most likely be between the pipes. If Varly continues winning, I would expect him to remain in goal for future games.

Hopefully tonight will be the night for Nicklas Backstrom to break his goal-less streak (14 games) and get back into the groove. Goals for Ovie, Backstrom, Semin, and Green, especially accompanied by a win tonight and a recapture of 1st place in the Southeast Division would be the huge boost of confidence the team needs! The Capitals have definitely regained some confidence in the last week, but could use a little more before they stop holding their sticks so tight and start playing the hockey they want to play! Alex Semin has hat tricks in both games against TB this season!!!!

DJ King(IR), Tyler Sloan, and Boyd Gordon(IR) were on the ice after the morning skate and will not play tonight! Others on IR: Matt Bradley, Tom Poti
    Check back between 6:40-6:55pm EST for the Capitals starting lines!
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; January 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Update 6:39 p.m.
    Based on warm-up here's what the Caps' lineup should look like:
    Forwards
    Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
    Laich-Perreault-Semin
    Chimera-Johansson-Fehr
    Hendricks-Steckel-Beagle
    Defense
    Hannan-Green
    Alzner-Carlson
    Schultz-Poti
    Goal
    Varlamov
    Neuvirth
    Scratches: John Erskine and Tyler Sloan

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Starting Lines Caps vs Lightning 1/4/11

Forwards
    Secret Agent Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble

Laich-Perreault-Semin

Chimera-Johansson-Fehr

Hendricks-Steckel-Beagle

Defense
    Hannan-Green

Alzner-Carlson

Schultz-Poti

Goal
    Secret Agent Varlamov

Thanks to @kcarrerra and @VogsCaps for the info via twitter!

It looks like someone beat me to the punch tonight. Thanks Dean!
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; January 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

interesting tweet,
    @washcaps
    The Caps hadn't lost a 1-0 game since 3/2/04 vs. FLA; this is the first 1-0 loss in overtime in franchise history

Dobber Sports Star

damn Varly played his ass off again.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Caps/Lightning 1/4/11 Game Recap

Capitals 0
    Lightning 1

The only goal of the game was scored by Martin St. Louis in OT, his 17th goal of the year. He was assisted by Vincent Lacavalier (10) and Pavel Kubina (12). The goal was the only GA for Semyon Varlamov during the game out of 38 shots. Varly closed the game with a .974 SV%. Dwayne Roloson had an amazing first game with Tampa Bay stopping all 34 shots all while sporting his Islanders helmet.

The Capitals continue to struggle on the power play and were unable to convert on any of the 3 power play opportunities. Alex Ovechkin led the Caps in power play time with 5:33, followed by Mike Green who had 3:53 in power play time. Backstrom, Laich, Knuble, and Semin each had 3:00 of power play time.

Mike Green led the team in total ice time again after having less time than usual during the Winter Classic. He had 23:21 total time on the ice. Ovechkin had the second most ice time with 21:56. Jeff Schultz who played his second game since returning from IR had 21:04 minutes despite have no power play time. Matty P had the least amount of ice time for the Captials with only 10:17.

Ovechkin and Semin led the Capitals for shots on goal with 8 and 6 respectively. Tampa was lead by Lecavalier and Purcell who each had 6 shots. The Capitals did a good job of shutting down Stamkos and St. Louis (until OT). Stamkos had 4 SOG, and St. Louis had only 2.
    Stamkos (3:47), St.Louis (4:09), and Lecavalier (3:51) led the Lightning in power play ice time. Lundin (24:48) and Ohlund (24.23) lead the team for total ice time.

Matt Hendricks and Steve Downie both received 5 minutes for fighting in the second period. It might have been a hell of a fight had Hendricks jersey not ended up over his head leaving him sightless and unable to land accurate blows. Hendricks and Downie continued the altercation verbally from the penalty box. If you are good at reading lips you will understand why there are not live mics on the ice and in the penalty boxes!

Source for recap

Interesting factoids received via twitter:

@VogsCaps
    Mike Vogel
    Loss was #Caps first by 1-0 score since March 2, 2004. First time 0-0 after 60 since 4-5-02 (0-0 tie vs Ottawa).

@VogsCaps
    Mike Vogel
    Loss was #Caps first 1-0 OT game since Zubrus scored 13 secs into OT vs. B's on 1-13-02 in midst of R. Wilson's "3-D" system phase.

@VogsCaps
    Mike Vogel
    Roloson second goalie ever to blank #Caps exactly three times with three different teams. He joins Greg Millen in that exclusive club.
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; January 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

The Magnificent One

always great stuff.. just was hoping i would open this up and your post would say:

ANNOUNCEMENT: WASHINGTON MOVING AWAY FROM THIS BORING DEFENSE STYLE AND GOING BACK TO THE RUN AND GUN OFFENSE.

i am sorry but fantasy aspect aside, wash games used to be fun to watch. always a chance of them scoring 5+ goals in a game. now it seems lucky if they get 3
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    always great stuff.. just was hoping i would open this up and your post would say:

ANNOUNCEMENT: WASHINGTON MOVING AWAY FROM THIS BORING DEFENSE STYLE AND GOING BACK TO THE RUN AND GUN OFFENSE.

i am sorry but fantasy aspect aside, wash games used to be fun to watch. always a chance of them scoring 5+ goals in a game. now it seems lucky if they get 3
    I know exactly what you mean! I think right now it is a bad combination of the new playing style as well as the big guns being snake bitten. I really hope at some point we will start seeing high scoring games again. I think Backstrom might be the key to that!!!!

I do have an announcement though:

ANNOUNCEMENT: OVIE was wearing the golden "NO CONTACT" jersey today at practice! Also, it looks like Matty P had his nose surgery this morning, as he showed up to practice looking like he did after the Carolina game in the picture John Carlson took. This info was recieved via twitter from @Kcarrera. It looks like there is now a full article at: Capitals Insider

I will try to make it to practice tomorrow to see what I can see! Look for a full IR report tomorrow.
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; January 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by mikerocksthered View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! I think right now it is a bad combination of the new playing style as well as the big guns being snake bitten. I really hope at some point we will start seeing high scoring games again. I think Backstrom might be the key to that!!!!

I do have an announcement though:

ANNOUNCEMENT: OVIE was wearing the golden "NO CONTACT" jersey today at practice! Also, it looks like Matty P had his nose surgery this morning, as he showed up to practice looking like he did after the Carolina game in the picture John Carlson took. This info was recieved via twitter from @Kcarrera. It looks like there is now a full article at: Capitals Insider

I will try to make it to practice tomorrow to see what I can see! Look for a full IR report tomorrow.
    okay then not the announcment i wanted to hear. just got ovie in a league and have him in another where i need him to get back to old form. but then again im sure 9 out of 10 people on the boards need that also lol
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Stud

Just to note something, Carlson and Alzner were placed against the Crosby line, they shut him down. They were also placed against the Stamkos line, and shut him down. Bruce Bodreau showing an awful lot of confidence in his youngsters and they are doing very well.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Just to note something, Carlson and Alzner were placed against the Crosby line, they shut him down. They were also placed against the Stamkos line, and shut him down. Bruce Bodreau showing an awful lot of confidence in his youngsters and they are doing very well.
    Great point! I have been hearing those two referred to as the "Carlzner" line.

As someone who is new to fantasy and actually analyzing the game to create recaps, posts like this are great for pointing me towards what to pay attention to and include in my future recaps! I will continue to work on getting better! Thanks.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H