Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Washington Capitals

Dobber Sports Stud

Where you at mike?
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Caps find middle ground

Different Mike, but here's a quick update on the Caps.

This won't surprise most readers - we've posited as much across the boards - but the Capitals are poised to find a middle-ground between the extreme defense that they played last season and the extreme offense that they played the year before.

From Tarik Al-Bashir of the Washington Post:

One of the more interesting items [mentioned by Bourdreau] was the style of play the team will implement this season. It's been well-documented that Boudreau was forced to switch from his trademark high-octane style to a defensive posture when the flood of goals all but dried up in December. But now he's contemplating another tweak.

"I'm hoping that we can be a hybrid," Boudreau said. "There's some parts we changed [last season] that I really loved. But when you're playing like that, you have to score a lot of goals on dump-ins and you have to score a lot of goals off the forecheck because the quick-break isn't there. I'd like to get back to being more of a quick-break team."
    After testing out the new system in development camp, Boudreau stated that "It seemed to work really good... I'm always trying to be more of an offensive coach. I love offense. You have to score to win."

Of course you take any statement made by a pr-minded team rep or coach to a reporter with a grain of salt, but in an interview two days later, John Carlson seemed to believe it. Again from Al-Bashir:

Something else that's got Carlson looking forward to 2011-12? Boudreau saying that the Caps will return to a more up-tempo, offensive style of play.

"That's a great decision," Carlson said, cracking a big smile. "We can still incorporate some of the things we did last season and just add the flair and swagger that we had from years prior. And if we can find that middle ground between the two, we're going to put a good product on the ice."
    The latter post was also interesting for its focus on Carlson. Those who feel that he's lost some gloss in the Subban-Karlsson-et al heirarchy should remember that despite the retreat from offense:

Carlson, by almost every metric, had an outstanding rookie season. In addition to matching up against the opposing team's top forward line most nights, he tied the franchise's single-season record for points by a rookie defenseman (37), led all NHL rookies in ice time (22:38) and ranked third among rookies with a plus/minus rating (+21). Carlson also led the Caps in ice time on 21 occasions, while being assessed fewer minor penalties (17) than nine of his teammates.
    He's got the right mentality, though in a way that may or may not benefit his fantasy owners in the short-term. "I would like to [score more]," he says, "but who knows? ...I still might be able to play my best hockey and get 25 points. Whatever role they put me in, whether it's going to be the same as last year or a different role, I just want to do those little things to help this team do something special."

Interesting reads for anyone looking to draft Caps for the upcoming season. If you're wondering about projected line combinations, the first post includes Boudreau's comments on that, as well.
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; August 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Star

Can you give me some insight into Hamrlik this year?

I read that he is likely to be paired with Green at regular strength. I assume that he will also be in the mix on the second PP.

He managed to put up 34 points last year, what can I expect from him this year? My concern is that it will be Ovy-Green on PP1 and Carlson-Wideman on PP2, leaving Hamr out of the mix.

It is down to him or Salo to round out my last D spot and I am hoping he may be a sneaky grab.

Thanks
    Last edited by loco man; August 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

WE have a piper down,i repeat,a piper down.well hopefully mikerocksthered is ok.

Are there any other Caps followers out there that could give some insight on Cody Eakin? does he stick? points projection anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Gripnrip13 View Post
    WE have a piper down,i repeat,a piper down.well hopefully mikerocksthered is ok.

Are there any other Caps followers out there that could give some insight on Cody Eakin? does he stick? points projection anything at all would be greatly appreciated.
    George McPhee loves this kid, and particularly talks about his determination and conditioning. That last bit's a big deal, since Eakin admittedly showed up out of shape to development camp and needed to really turn on the afterburners to be ready for camp... where he impressed from day one. That said, it's important to remember that Eakin has never played against NHL competition and for that matter, only has nine AHL games under his belt (2-0-2). At 5'11" and 176 pounds, that's a big deal, especially since his strength has always been speed and agility and a guy that size could easily get bounced around.

I'll be surprised if Perreault isn't handed the final roster spot, despite Boudreau contending that Eakin, Sjogren and even Bourque are still in the mix. Chuck Gormley of CSN, generally a reliable source for all things Caps, pointed out Sunday night that Perreault has the lead in preseason scoring (and the perceived race for the final roster spot) with five points in four games, while Eakin scored only one goal (and was -3) and Sjogren was pointless (and -1) in five each. It doesn't reflect badly on them, but Eakin in particular has yet to face anything near NHL competition.

The key, as Dobber has probably pointed out, will be whether Perreault can sustain another of his historically strong starts after winning a roster spot. If he can't (or if I'm wrong and Eakin makes it), then I still don't expect a fantasy-worthy first season. Eakin's got a bit of Parise about him size- and attitude-wise, but probably tops out as a second-line scorer. He's still only twenty. I'd project a cup of coffee sometime this season, lots of ice time on a scoring line for the Bears and a more likely permanent callup next year.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry everyone, I burned myself out last season between it being my first year playing fantasy (two leagues) and trying to cover the Caps for this forum. I was also working from home last season and can't do that this season. I am trying to figure out how I am going to manage having enough time to post here but will be back shortly. Look for a recap of the Caps season so far either Friday evening or Saturday. So glad hockey it's hockey season, and can't wait to jump back into these forums! GO CAPS!

Edit: Oh damn! I need to update my signature!
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; October 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: saw my own signature! (like a ground hog, so does that mean two more weeks of hockey?!!!!)
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

Dobber Sports Master

AAYYYYYY he's back!

Great to have you back here mike.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mikerocksthered View Post
    So glad hockey it's hockey season, and can't wait to jump back into these forums!

Hahahha...This says it all and made me roar with laughter!!!!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Glad to be back, and happy to see you TK!

While I am here I might as well make some comments:

MP85 (Matthieu Perreault) - The hardest working guy on the team. He skates his ass of every game. He does well during the pre-season then doesn't make the team....well he made it this year. Will he stick around? That is hard to say, but I would like to see that!

MJ90 (Marcus Johannson) - Sent for to the box, the sky box for the opening game then got his act together. As longs as he doesn't piss of BB he is looking good for this season.

Dennis Wideman - Wow his shot is quick. Last season Mike Green was out most of the time Wideman was with the team, with both of them being offensive defensemen, the caps power play is looking nice. Team them up together since Carlson and Alzner can handle their own, and the Caps are looking good on D.

Vokoun - Not a great start in game two of the season, but if you watch the overtime period where the Caps shot themselves in the foot, you know that he may have totally redeemed himself.

Semin - When you need an penalty for no good reason, he is your guy.

Chimera - ON FIRE....for now. I would love to see him keep going, and I will be very happy if he does. but don't count on it.

Hendricks - Pulled his magic again in the shoot out against Tampa and got away with it. Hendricks was probably the hardest worker on the Caps last season and I don't expect to see that change unless MP85 can take him off the ice! I don't see Hendricks pulling off his signature shoot out move to many times before goalies start caching on.

Backstrom - I still say he is holding the puck too long and seems unsure of himself. Hopefully he proves me wrong tomorrow night against the Pens.

Green - So far so good. I think with the addition of Wideman at the at the trade deadline and the impressive improvements of John Carlson, the target on the back of Mike Green's back has gotten a little smaller. As shown on 24/7 the Penns were directly going after the Caps main defender Mike Green, but now, the pressure is spread across several players.

As far as the new guys to the team, the season is to young for me to comment. I am still learning Jersey numbers! I went to a few pre-season games, missed the home opener, but will be going to see a bunch of ex-Caps take on the Caps on Tuesday when they face Theodore, Flash, Bradley and the rest of the Predators. I am looking forward to being able to talk about the new additions to the team like Hamrlik, Brouwer, and Ward, but need to watch a few more games before I can post anything other than stats.
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; October 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Master

The deep Caps analysis is back. Perfect.

I'm gonna be on here a ton for Alzner, Chimera, and Semin!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Let me give Semin crap right now and hope that I reverse jinx him. He drives me crazy! Could be a super-star and does a great job heading into the play offs, catching fire, and pulling us through, but he is either hot or taking stupid penalties. I am not sure if he needs to step it up and be serious or be traded to another team where he is out of the shadow that some of the other Caps put on him. I feel like this is a make or break year for Semin. He might even be a sleeper who will explode at some point (hopefully this year) but util that happens, I don't know what to think of him. A lot of people would probable say the same thing about Backstrom, but some how I think Backstrom is the guy who is in a slump, but the Caps need to hold on to.

Of course that is my Caps Fan view of him. His fantasy value is very different.

Wow! I just wanted to say hi and let everyone know I would be back, but I guess I had some thoughts to get off of my chest!

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

What do you think of Carlson? Will he eventually get a chance on the PP?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    What do you think of Carlson? Will he eventually get a chance on the PP?

As long as Green and Wideman stay healthy, they will be the main PP guys. So to answer your question, yes, Carlson will get some PP time this season. Green took a puck to the hand in a pre-season game and left the ice and bench for a small portion of period then was back on the ice. I also think Alzner and Carlson have a really good chemistry that shouldn't be interrupted unless absolutely necessary. I am sad to see Scott Hannan go this season. He was an absolutely amazing on ice coach especially for the younger guys like Alzner and Carlson. Wideman fits into that role to some extent, but you can't hear him talking on the ice like Hannan did.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Star

Mathieu Perreault healthy scratch tonight

Dobber Sports Star

#Caps lines during am skate: 8-19-20; 25-21-42-85; 50-90-28; 26-15-22.

Hunter putting the #caps through some PP work. First group: 8, 22, 28 along with 81 and 21 on the points.

Second group doing PP work: 25/20, 90, 19 with 74 and 6 on points. Brouwer taking turns with Chimera on drills. #caps

So Backstom off 1st line PP