Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Retired - Washington Capitals

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Caps/Sens recap - Caps/Panthers Preview

Capitals/Senators Recap:

In their second matchup of the season the Washington Capitals were able to post an overtime victory against the Ottawa Senators. The overtime decision was made quickly as Karl Alzner and Jason Chimera assisted Brooks Laich's game winning goal just twelve seconds into overtime. The final score of the game was 3-2 with the Capitals other goals coming from Nicklas Backtrom and Troy Brouwer. Backstroms goal, his ninth of the season puts him one goal behind team leader Jason Chimera. Chimera finished the night with an assist, five shots, two hits and two penalty minutes. Despite recording an assist on the Backstrom goal, John Carlson was the only Capitals to finish the night with a negative plus/minus. Carlson led the team in ice time with just over twenty five minutes. Ovechkin, Wideman, Backstrom, Laich, Chimera, Alzner and Carlson all had over twenty minutes of ice time.

The Capitals did a much better job Saturday night of staying out of the penalty box. The Capitals only penalty came on a slashing call against Jason Chimera in the first period. Washington was on the power play for a total of eight minutes but was still unable to convert for a goal. They continue to have problems keeping the puck in the zone and getting quality shots. The game on Saturday night was not as physical as the previous game against Pittsburgh, but the increase in hits is still noticeable.

TONIGHTS GAME

Washington Capitals 13-11-1 (4-7-0 on the road)
    Florida Panthers 14-8-4 (5-2-4 at home)

Last ten games:
    Washington 3-7-0
    Florida 6-3-1

The Washington Capitals head to Sunrise, Florida to face the Panthers tonight. This is the second meeting between the Southeast Conference rivals. The Panthers are sitting comfortably in first place with a five point lead over the second place Capitals. Although the Capitals have won three of the last thirteen matchups between these two teams, the Panthers have recorded points in the last three games played on their home ice. The last matchup between these teams was at the Verizon Center on October 18th, when the Capitals Tomas Vokoun notched a 3-0 shutout, his first shutout as a Capital.

Offensive lines from the morning skate:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
    Eakin-Johansson-Knuble
    Chimera-Laich-Ward
    Hendricks-Perreault-Halpern

It sounds like the defensive lines were being juggled around this morning and other than "Carlzner" line (John Carlson and Karl Alzner), the remaining lines are not clear at this time.

Goalie Michal Neuvirth will be starting tonight against the Panthers, leaving Vokoun on the bench for his first time back in Bank Atlantic Center since joining the Captials. Since Dale Hunter has joined the Capitals, the two goalies have blocked ninety-three of ninety-nine shots in the last three games (94%). The Caps have outscored the Panthers eighty-four to fifty-nine in their last twenty-four games.

Former Capital Matt Bradley is expected to miss tonight's game with an upper body injury. Another former Capital, Tomas Fleischmann will take to the ice tonight against the Capitals. Fleischmann currently has twenty-seven points in twenty-six games with twelve goals and fifteen assists. Florida has not decided on a starting goalie at this time, another ex-Capital, goalie Jose Theodore has not been ruled out despite not participating in the morning skate today. If Theodore gets the start tonight, it will be his six-hundredth NHL appearance that includes thirty-one shutouts and a .909 save percentage. Theodore has been playing well, recording a 1.83 goals against average and .935 save percentage in the last six games.

Brooks Laich who just celebrated his five-hundredth career game in the NHL on Saturday night will be marking another milestone this evening as he takes to the ice in his five-hundredth game as a Washington Capital. Laich and Alex Ovechkin are the only two current members of the team to have played five hundred or more games with the team.

Injuries are starting to pile up as Roman Hamrlik and Alex Semin have joined Mike Green, Jay Beagle, and Tom Poti on the list. Semin did participate in the morning skate today, and although there has not been an official word on his status it is unlikely that he or Hamrlik will be playing tonight. Jay Beagle has resumed practicing with the team but no expected date of return has been given.
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; December 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM.
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Offensive lines and goalie are as previously reported.

Tonights defensive lines:

Alzner-Carlson
    Erskin-Wideman
    Schultz-Orlov

Interesting marketing by the Panthers for todays game. Too bad neither goalie is playing.

Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

Dobber Sports Star

Took them 12 mins before 1st shot. Some offense wow.
    Leave to me to get a response goal wideman

Dobber Sports Star

Jay Beagle has been cleared for full participation in practice (incl. contact) according to a #Caps spokesman.

Dobber Sports Stud

Saw some things I really liked last night vs. the Predators, and some I didn't.

Included in the latter: lack of focus leading to penalties. The string of Nashville power plays had the potential to flip the momentum; luckily some nice penalty killing efforts, including Neuvirth's clutch saves, prevented that from happening.

Included in the former: I personally liked the idea of splitting up Ovechkin and Backstrom. I think Semin actually benefits more from playing with Backstrom, as a lot of his game seems to mesh with puck possession. When Semin is without the puck, or not involved in a rotation or crossing play in a situation where he feels he can receive a pass on his tape in short order, he is prone to drifting about. Ovechkin is more likely to win battles for loose pucks and create a scoring chance himself, or to cause disarray in the defensive alignment so that a cycle or quick turnover can create a good chance. By separating Ovechkin from Semin and Backstrom, Nashville, whose bread and buttter are their top D pairing, were forced to deal in an away game with the choice of playing Shea Weber and Ryan Suter against one or the other threat. and I think that contributed to Capitals chances down low in a number of situations when Nashville's top D were on the bench.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Mike Green. Remember him?

Hey Guys, hoping to put this out to those who watch the Caps a lot more than me....This specifically goes out to Mikerocksthered

His score sheet hasn't shown a darned thing....And I know it takes time to adjust....But not one point?

How has he looked? Do we have a reason to be optimistic for Green's future?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Genius

Okay, I'm curious as an Ovechkin owner who never gets to see games as to how he's playing right now? I know he's scoring quite a bit these past few games, so is he playing better or is it just going in now? I'm curious. I've read some analyst are saying he's playing inspiring hockey, but the rest of the team is just in a funk and they're still sorely missing Backstrom. So what's the deal here? Should I be getting excited for next year with him? I got him about a third of the way into the season and he had one hot streak before now.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Stud

Green:
    I'd be optimistic about next season, but this season is pretty much done. Ever since coming back Green hasn't looked so well. Specifically in this game they just did an analysis on him. He iced the puck for no apparent reason, he turned the puck over with no pressure and it almost ended up in the back of the net, he bobbled another play closer to the boards which led to another turnover. On offense his passes are off, seems like a lot of rust+head just not being in it. I should also mention he's not getting PP1 ice time which I expect to change next season.

Ovechkin:
    Before the past few games this guy has been straight up lazy, with his team fighting for a playoff spot it's amped his compete level a little bit. Instead of trying to be too fancy, he's now shooting from everywhere (like he used to), therefore, more pucks are going in. He still stands STILL in the defensive zone, which really bugs me but as soon as the puck breaks out of the zone he's hustling and trying to create chances. If he goes through a Crosby-like workout regime in the summer there's no telling this guys limit. During the PP's you can tell Backstrom is thoroughly missed.
    Last edited by jeffl97; March 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Caps made the playoffs, Laich with the GWG.
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    (IR) Domi

(C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (D) Power

Dobber Sports Star

I'd really appreciate some insight on Laich as I am looking at him as my last fwd.

My take is a consistent 50 point guy, but is there any hope for more? Is he a mainstay in the top six at this point, or is he on the bubble.

A lock in the top six and 2nd PP time probably makes him my choice over Leino.

Thanks
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

Mike Green rejects his qualifying offer:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...vCnW_blog.html
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    (IR) Domi

(C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (D) Power