Thread: What's Brodeur's upside?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default What's Brodeur's upside?

Now that he's healthy, what's Marty's fantasy upside? His team still sucks and he has AHL D's in front of him. But is he worth having as one of your top two fantasy starters in a one year league?
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Wizard

Right now I'd treat Marty as a #2 or even as a spot starter depending on the rest of your goalies.

For example if I have Price and Pavelec on the same roster, Marty will be on the bench most nights. If on the other hand I have Rask and Mason or Niemi teamed with him, Marty will be in there much more often. And I may have jumped off a ledge by now as well, but that's beside the point.

All said and done I can see him as a #2 with a slim chance of regaining low end #1 status. It's just more realistic to see him as a #2 or spot starter.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Demi-God

20 team league I would take him as a starter in a hearbeat. 6 team league I wouldn't bother.

The thing you should never look past with Marty is that when he gets in the zone, he is among the best - folks will argue that's more about the teams he has had in front of him - sorry but that's hogwash.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    20 team league I would take him as a starter in a hearbeat. 6 team league I wouldn't bother.

The thing you should never look past with Marty is that when he gets in the zone, he is among the best - folks will argue that's more about the teams he has had in front of him - sorry but that's hogwash.
    Fair point Shoeless, league size does factor heavily in his value along with just how many you start at one time. I framed my comments on what I know which is 12 team leagues with 2 starters.

In a 6-8 team league with two starters there's probably better options. In 10-12 team leagues with two starters now he gains value, maybe as the #2, but still worth owning and starting in those leagues depending on matchups and the other options on your team. In a 12 team 2 starter league he could possibly be a #1.

I have him in one 12 team league like that, and he is a starter, but the other two are Bryz and Elliott. If for instance I had grabbed Thomas late in the draft, instead of missing out and settling for Elliott, Marty would not be a starter.

In a 14 team or larger league now he's definitely starter material and his value only goes up as the league size increases, no matter whether it's 1 or 2 starters.

I do agree with Shoeless in saying that Marty still has the ability to take over and win a game by himself when he's locked in. It's just that unlike in years past it's not going to happen nearly as often as we're used to seeing it. Age certainly is against him every bit as much, if not more so, than the team in front of him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I am going with Luongo and an orange cone.
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The part of Brodeurs game that worries me is the save percentage .897. We all know the Devils are terrible but the number of shots that Marty is facing is actually quite small as the Devils are ranked 8th allowing an average of 28.9 shots against per game. Looking at Marty's last 5 games he has faced 19,26,21,21,18 shots and given up 15 goals.

I am definitely of the opinion that it is time to move on from Marty and waiting for him to get in the zone will be a pointless excersise.

Too bad but the end is near for this future Hall of Famer

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejaka View Post
    The part of Brodeurs game that worries me is the save percentage .897. We all know the Devils are terrible but the number of shots that Marty is facing is actually quite small as the Devils are ranked 8th allowing an average of 28.9 shots against per game. Looking at Marty's last 5 games he has faced 19,26,21,21,18 shots and given up 15 goals.

I am definitely of the opinion that it is time to move on from Marty and waiting for him to get in the zone will be a pointless excersise.

Too bad but the end is near for this future Hall of Famer
    I was looking at that last night while I was watching the game. That stands out like a sore thumb. I got to wondering though, is there a resource that allows you to track where exactly that a goalie is getting beaten on each goal? By that I mean how many goals are through the 5 hole, glove side high, glove side low, etc?

The reason I ask is I'm curious if he's getting beaten more to his glove side now than he did prior to his biceps tendon injury from a couple of years back. Maybe that injury has resulted in diminished speed and dexterity. Last years number were spot on with his career averages, but still I wonder if there's lingering effects from that. That or we're just witnessing what we've seen from athletes in other sports, a sudden fall off the cliff at the end of their careers.

Prime example of that, albeit in the NFL, was Marvin Harrison. One year he's one of the best in the game, and the next...boom, he hits absolute rock bottom. Whatever the reason something is drastically wrong with Marty, and we may have seen the last of vintage Brodeur. Hopefully not, we can hope he regains some degree of his old form and we can forget this rocky patch. You never want to see a player go out with their game having fallen off so much from the high levels that we've come to know.

Dobber Sports Ace

This is no help to the conversation at all, but...

how weird is it to even have to ask this question? he's been such a rock and go-to for fantasy for so long. Getting towards the end of an era.

That being said; who's the next Marty?
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    This is no help to the conversation at all, but...

how weird is it to even have to ask this question? he's been such a rock and go-to for fantasy for so long. Getting towards the end of an era.

That being said; who's the next Marty?
    Lundy. I think that is becoming more obvious each game.