Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PK Subban a scratch tonight

Dobber Sports Expert

Whoa! Are you sure you guys are watching the Habs play? Because P.K has been carrying alot of weight on his shoulder this season. One bad game and he's a healthy scratch? Jacques Martin is gonna get the violon and start saying that "it's part of the process" bullshit. Subban has been MTL best defenseman all season long and that's how he gets repaid by his coach? I don't know him personnally but just watching him play and talk during his interview , I'm sure he is pissed as f*ck right now! This kid breathes hockey and what Martin just did to him is insulting.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Bin View Post
    Not in my book....Yes, I know this is blasphemy for me to say this to my Canadian friends!
    I have a soft spot for the Cherry/MacLean combo as I have watched CC almost every saturday night since 1987. After 23 years they are bound to leave some sort of impression.

Having said that Cherry is kinda like George W Bush, you just keep watching to see what he will say or do next, you dont agree with what he is doing/saying but for some reason it appeals to your patriotic pride.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I have a soft spot for the Cherry/MacLean combo as I have watched CC almost every saturday night since 1987. After 23 years they are bound to leave some sort of impression.

Having said that Cherry is kinda like George W Bush, you just keep watching to see what he will say or do next, you dont agree with what he is doing/saying but for some reason it appeals to your patriotic pride.
    And if you aren't watching to see what he'll say or do, you're watching to see what sports jacket he is wearing.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Whoa! Are you sure you guys are watching the Habs play? Because P.K has been carrying alot of weight on his shoulder this season. One bad game and he's a healthy scratch? Jacques Martin is gonna get the violon and start saying that "it's part of the process" bullshit. Subban has been MTL best defenseman all season long and that's how he gets repaid by his coach? I don't know him personnally but just watching him play and talk during his interview , I'm sure he is pissed as f*ck right now! This kid breathes hockey and what Martin just did to him is insulting.
    I havent watched a ton of habs games (which I mentioned in one of my posts) but for you to say that a coach benching a rookie is insulting is kinda weird. If he made two dumb plays that cost them the game maybe he deserves to be punished by being scrathed for a game or two. As a coach you cant treat these kids as untouchable, they have to learn as they go and if Martin thinks this will help him learn than good. Every single kid in the NHL lives and breathes hockey, thats why they made it that far. I guarantee Martin isnt benching just based on last night, he has probably already talked to him about risk-taking and being more defensively responsible and it apparently hasnt gotten thru to PK so Martin is using another tool in the Coaches arsenal. I say fair play to martin and Im looking forward to see how PK responds.

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree with you that Martin probably already had that talk with Subban but I still think he's pushing it too far by scratching him. Being aggressive is part of Subban's play. He needs to pick his spot and last night his dive on the PP wasn't the right move and it wasn't the right time. But he has to learn from his mistakes... on the ice. He isn't gonna learn anything from the pressbox IMO.

Dobber Sports Guru

I agree with you that Martin probably already had that talk with Subban but I still think he's pushing it too far by scratching him. Being aggressive is part of Subban's play. He needs to pick his spot and last night his dive on the PP wasn't the right move and it wasn't the right time. But he has to learn from his mistakes... on the ice. He isn't gonna learn anything from the pressbox IMO.
    fair enough .... havent seen the dive pinch yet but from what I read it was pretty dumb and not a high percentage play. I think those are the plays that drive Martin nuts ... not the flashy ones but the low percentage ones. Anyways, sometimes those one game scracthes get the motivation going again and let the player see a game from a different point of view (both literally and figuratively).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think you're overreacting a little yougo, it's a long season, he is a rookie, it's the second night of a back to back, and he screwed up.

It's just one game, and from what I know about Subban he'll probably come back hungry to prove Martin wrong.
    12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H League - Limited Keep 3
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits --- W, SV, SV%, SHO
    ------------------------------------------------------

C: Barkov, Stamkos, Hintz, STREAMER
    LW: Guetzel, Fiala, Forsberg
    RW: Rantanen, Kempe, Coleman
    D: Hronek, Letang, Harley
    G: Oettinger, Shesterkin, UPL
    IR+: Theodore, Andersen, Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post

Don't get me wrong I applaud Cherry for notching out his niche and doing very well. There was a Don Cherry thread awhile and in it I likened him to Rush Limbaugh in the sense that they both say stuff to get a reaction to get ratings and it works. Because he says things to be, for lack of a better word, inflammatory a lot of what he says loses some credibilty.

I really applaud him for his patriotism for the soldiers and the way he honors them.

Sorry I didn't mean hijack this thread...
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

A couple days ago, I was offered Lubomir Visnovsky for PK Subban (in my signature). I told the other owner that I think Subban has more value in our keeper league and that I was concerned that Visnovsky would break down over the course of the season. The ducks have been leaning on Lubo a lot and he's bound to get hurt soon enough especially since he hasn't been the most durable dman in the past.

Was it a mistake for me to pass on that trade (Visnovsky for my Subban)?

I know that scratching subban is part of the process but with disregard to his healthy scratch - is it a bad trade for me?

Sidenote: I didn't want to start a new thread

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by noglovenolove View Post
    I think you're overreacting a little yougo, it's a long season, he is a rookie, it's the second night of a back to back, and he screwed up.

It's just one game, and from what I know about Subban he'll probably come back hungry to prove Martin wrong.
    I guess you're right. Everyone has their own way of teaching kids how to not repeat the same error. I'm studying right now to be a High School History teacher and from what I have learned negative reinforcement is not usually the way to go.
    You're right that Subban will come back hungry to prove Martin wrong.. Let's just hope he does it the Martin ways

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    A couple days ago, I was offered Lubomir Visnovsky for PK Subban (in my signature). I told the other owner that I think Subban has more value in our keeper league and that I was concerned that Visnovsky would break down over the course of the season. The ducks have been leaning on Lubo a lot and he's bound to get hurt soon enough especially since he hasn't been the most durable dman in the past.

I know that scratching subban is part of the process but with disregard to his healthy scratch - is it a bad trade for me?

I think you made the right decision in holding on to Subban. He is offensively gifted for a D, he plays with an edge(PIM) and he could be MTL QB starting next year depending if they re-sign Markov. Even if they sign Markov, they will be a dynamic duo on the PP and he will put up great numbers I think. He's by far the best non-goalie prospect Montreal had in the last 10-15 years.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post

Good call here in the multi-category league. Subban is going to be a stats monster across the board.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

I guess you're right. Everyone has their own way of teaching kids how to not repeat the same error. I'm studying right now to be a High School History teacher and from what I have learned negative reinforcement is not usually the way to go.
    You're right that Subban will come back hungry to prove Martin wrong.. Let's just hope he does it the Martin ways
    Kinda commented on this in my blog section, so I won't go into immense detail, but think of it this way. You want to set him aside and talk to him, but the next game is TONIGHT. Not enough time to get the full message across. Let him relax a bit for tonight.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Since the world junior's I've been a fan of Subban, but i watched the game on Wednesday, just proving my belief that Subban is a Mike Green 2.0- Amazing offensively, but a bit of a defensive liability.

On the last goal, it's clear that while Cammalleri had the puck, P.K was prepared to streak down the line like a forward. But he's a defenseman, play your bloody position in overtime! He's like the select player in house league hockey that tries to go end to end (except he's not playing against 7 year olds as big as a minute, but rather the oilers)

Maybe the benching will do him good
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Stud

You're right about negative reinforcement and learning. The press box is about motivating, not teaching.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford