Thread: Thomas' fate?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Thomas' fate?

ok, so i didn't really get an answer for my last post so maybe i'll change it up a little bit.

Does Thomas stay in Boston? If not, where does he go. I know it's a little early but what are people's impressions?
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

More than likely ... no where for now.

Thomas has 3 more years on his contract (including this year) at $6M, $5M, and $3M. His cap hit would be $5M.

The 1st problem with trading him is to find a team to take on the salary. $5M does fit in all that nicely as it use to. Sure, the closer to the deadlinethe trade is made, the smaller the cap hit but then what happens next season?

2nd problem is to find a team that needs a goalie.

3. With the Hawks and Flyers making it to the final last year without a high paid goalie, most teams are trying the same tatic this year (for example, SJ and Washington).

4. Europe. No one wanted to pay for Nabokov. Huet is on loan there. Plus there are pleanty of cheaper options that can be signed out of Europe (for example, Gustavsson).

This is obvisouly total speculation but here are my thoughts:

a. Florida. Assume they can trade Vokoun (UFA next season) and are willing to help out Boston with salary.
    b. Tampa. Ellis and Smith are both good goaltenders but they have cap space plus Smith is UFA at the end of the season.
    c. Detroit. This is way out there but lets have some fun :-). Both Osgood and Howard are UFA at the end of the season. Howard will most definetly be wanting a raise. Were the Wings happy with Howards performance against SJ in the playoffs? Plus Lidstrom's $6.2M comes off the books at the end of the season. The Wings also have $1.9M in cap space. The problem here is Boston needs the cap releif now, not a the end of February.

All other teams pretty much have a true #1 (or a 1a/1b) already or no cap space.

I just can't see a trade happening.
    12 Team Keeper (6F, 3D, 1G + up to 3 extra)
    Stats: g(1), a(1), +/-(1), ppg(+1), shg(+1), gwg(+1), otg(+1), w(2), sho(+3)

F: Malkin, Ovechkin, Okposo, Spezza, JVR, Wheeler, Little, Kadri, Stepan
    D: Weber, Suter, J.Johnson, Spurgeon, Gardiner, Wideman
    G: Bishop, Hiller
    BN: Lupul, Moulson, Parenteau, MDZ, Hamonic, Petry, Holtby

#2 (1st place 2014)
    F: Malkin, Thornton, Benn, Krejci, Spezza, Franzen, E.Kane, Desharnais, Moulson
    D: Subban, Gologoski, Green, Phaneuf, Ehroff, Tyutin
    G: Price, Bishop
    BN: Brassard, Cammalleri, Barkov, Alfredsson, Wideman, Bieksa, Varlomov

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    a. Florida. Assume they can trade Vokoun (UFA next season) and are willing to help out Boston with salary.
    b. Tampa. Ellis and Smith are both good goaltenders but they have cap space plus Smith is UFA at the end of the season.
    c. Detroit. This is way out there but lets have some fun :-). Both Osgood and Howard are UFA at the end of the season. Howard will most definetly be wanting a raise. Were the Wings happy with Howards performance against SJ in the playoffs? Plus Lidstrom's $6.2M comes off the books at the end of the season. The Wings also have $1.9M in cap space. The problem here is Boston needs the cap releif now, not a the end of February.
    B makes sense to me; TB would be wasting too much offensive talent to entrust its chances to Ellis or Smith. But not A or C. Vokoun's successor is already in Florida's system. And with all the success he's had, I don't think one playoff series is enough to cost Howard his job. As for Lidstrom, with the season he's having, don't you think he'll decide to come back and Detroit will want him back?

With the season he's having, I don't think Thomas goes anywhere until the off-season unless the bottom completely falls out in Boston. With him, the Bruins have a chance in any playoff series. I'm not sure Rask gives them that same chance.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think the Bruins keep Thomas this year and next unless they have a solid chance to move him that makes sense for the Bruins. This also allows Rask more time to develop as the starter and you'll start to see a more linear progression of Rask over this time.

I can't see the Bruins wanting to move him for peanuts, especially if he does play the way he's been playing. But I do like the Tampa scenario. I can totally see him in a Lightning uniform.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Icon

No way Thomas gets moved this year unless the Bruins completely collapse and fall out of the playoff race entirely.

They are being patient with Rask which is the best possible scenario. Rask will get a good chunk of starts but will not out-right steal the #1 job unless Thomas falters.

The Bruins need Timmy to mentor Rask. They also need two capable goalies between the pipes come the playoffs incase one gets rattled or injured.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    No way Thomas gets moved this year unless the Bruins completely collapse and fall out of the playoff race entirely.

They are being patient with Rask which is the best possible scenario. Rask will get a good chunk of starts but will not out-right steal the #1 job unless Thomas falters.

The Bruins need Timmy to mentor Rask. They also need two capable goalies between the pipes come the playoffs incase one gets rattled or injured.
    Bite your toungue...
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sin bin View Post
    bite your toungue...
    change your avatar back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".