Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Red Wings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks man. Feedback is appreciated. I know a lot of the Team Coverage writers appreciate hearing others' opinions on their write ups too, if nothing else, just to know people are following their posts.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Preview of Tonight's Away Game versus the Flames

The Red Wings are looking to continue their winning ways against the Calgary Flames after coming off a win against the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday. Detroit has took all three games against the Flames this season and look for the Sweep tonight.

Previous Games Scores: CGY 2 @ DET 4, DET 2 @ CGY 1, CGY4 @DET5 (OT)

As you can see, all of the games have been close so I would expect a good matchup tonight especially since DET has been struggling with recent injuries.

DET Leading Scorers vs. Flames this season:
    - Datsyuk 1G, 5A, 6P (3GP)
    - Lidstrom 2G, 3A, 5P (3GP)
    - Zetterberg 3G, 1A, 4P (3GP)

Iginla leads the Flames in scoring against the Wings with 2G, 2A, 4P in the 3 games this season

The Red Wings came off a win in Edmonton but that was no easy task for one of the top teams in the Western Conference. The Red Wings struggled during the 3rd period. Ontheother hand, The Flames come off a 3-1 loss to the Vancouver Canucks after throwing 45 shots at Roberto Luongo. They can take a lot from that game as they played hard but they will be looking to snap their 2 game losing streak.

Injuries
    -Cleary (ankle) remains out
    -Datsyuk (broken hand) remains out for at least two more weeks
    -Eaves (Elbow) is expected to return tonight
    - Filppula (groin) is questionable for tonight's game.

Who's Hot?
    Bertuzzi is on a mini hot streak after scoring two goals vs. the Oilers. Prior to that game, Bert had gone 15 games without a goal. We will watch and see if the goals continue to come.

Key Stat
    The Calgary Flames are 39-26-6 when playing the Red Wings at home.

Starting Goalie
    Jimmy Howard will get the start between the pipes.

Thanks to NHL.com for the stats

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry. I didn't get the preview up in time tonight.

Quick Notes:

Tatar will be heading back to Grand Rapids of the AHL
    Mursak is sticking around a bit longer with the big club
    Filppula is in the lineup
    Howard is starting vs the Avs (Budaj is at the opposite end)
    Osgood is out at least 6-8 weeks so Joey Macdonald has been recalled.

I believe the Red Wings lead the season series with 2 wins 1 Shootout loss
    Lidstrom has 7 points in 3 games vs the Avs this year.

Enjoy the game

Administrator

I'm really glad to see Tatar and Mursak showing signs of progression. Nothing better than seeing your own prospects blossom (in my sig). Unfortunately I haven't seen them play. I only saw chunks of the DET/VAN game. Have you had a chance to see them play? What are your first impressions of them at the NHL level?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I haven't watched a lot of them but Tatar wasn't given much of a scoring role in his first call up. He played a smart game and seemed to take care of his own defensive responsibilities before looking for offense. Smart, especially since he was playing on the 3rd/4th line. He looked good but nothing too exciting. He does seem to play the game smart and has a good nose for the net. Tatar still needs some AHL seasoning. Another full year would do wonders for him.

Mursak - I have seen less of him but I am watching the game tonight so I will pass on any observations. He does have very good speed and scored a goal as he stood out front and fought for the rebound.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

BTW - Howard has absolutely SUCKED tonight as has the rest of the Wings. 4-1 for the AVS 13 minutes into the 1st. Howard will be watching from the bench as he's replaced by Joey MacDonald.

Lidstrom (-3), Zetterberg (-2), Holmstrom (-2) and Kronwall (-3) aren't looking too much like leaders on this team so far in the first. The only plus players so far are 4th line players - Miller, Abdelkaeder and Mursak

I placed a bet on this game for the wings to win by two over the avs however I accidently clicked the OVER 5.5 button instead and it's looking like a blessing for me.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 10, 2011 at 10:13 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I haven't watched a lot of them but Tatar wasn't given much of a scoring role in his first call up. He played a smart game and seemed to take care of his own defensive responsibilities before looking for offense. Smart, especially since he was playing on the 3rd/4th line. He looked good but nothing too exciting. He does seem to play the game smart and has a good nose for the net. Tatar still needs some AHL seasoning. Another full year would do wonders for him.

Mursak - I have seen less of him but I am watching the game tonight so I will pass on any observations. He does have very good speed and scored a goal as he stood out front and fought for the rebound.
    Thanks. Glad to see they're on the right track and didn't look out of place. Typical Red Wings I suppose.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It has been a tough go for the Red Wings as of late. Last night was no exception, losing starting goalie in the 1st period to a knee injury (bruised) and Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand in the 3rd period and will miss at least 4 weeks. On top of that, the Red Wings lost to their Division rivals the Columbus Blue Jackets 3-2 in a shootout.

Detroit will have a chance to redeem themselves in a rematch tonight as they head home for the 2nd game of a home and home against Columbus.

Season Series
    DET leads 2-1 (2-1 WIN, 4-2 WIN, 3-2 LOSS)

Who's Hot?
    Henrik Zetterberg had his 11-game point streak snapped last night. During his 11 game point streak Hank had 6 goals and 10 assists.

Injuries
    Pavel Datsyuk (hand/wrist), Mike Modano (wrist), Chris Osgood, Brad Stuart (jaw), Danny Cleary (ankle), Holmstrom (broken hand)

Top Performers vs. Opposition
    Columbus - Brassard, Vermette, Voracek and Umberger each have 1G, 1A in 3 games vs Detroit to lead the team

Detroit - Filppula is Detroit's top goal scorer vs the Blue Jackets with 2G, 2A (4P) in 3 GP. Franzen sits 2nd with 1G,2A (3P).

Surprisingly, Zetterberg has yet to record a single point in 3 games versus the Blue Jackets this season.

Stat Pack
    Seven of the last eight meetings between these teams have been decided by a single goal, but the Blue Jackets remain just 16-35-9 against the Red Wings in the all-time series. (via NHL.com)

Head on down to the Joe tonight. Puckdrop is at 7 pm EST. These DET-CLB games usually prove to be great games and close matchups

My Prediction: DET wins 4-3

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Thanks. Glad to see they're on the right track and didn't look out of place. Typical Red Wings I suppose.
    Hope it's alright to jump in here -- just finished reading a good article on Mursak and Tatar in the local paper. Mursak seems to be impressing in more of a grinding role (of course those Wings grinders are always pitching in offensively too). As long as Wings keep getting injured, it seems like he'll stick around.

Babcock's comments on Tatar were all about how he's got to pick up his pace -- play the game at a faster level. He was pretty praiseworthy of him though -- calling him "intelligent" and "strong on the puck." Sounds like he's simply due for a bit more seasoning in GR.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Guru

Now for a question. I've watched a bit and it seems like Hudler's really starting to pick it up. Your thoughts Dean? I'm just a bit worried about what happens when Cleary and Datsyuk come back.

His little move and drop pass last night were fantastic -- too bad they didn't get finished for a score.

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Now for a question. I've watched a bit and it seems like Hudler's really starting to pick it up. Your thoughts Dean? I'm just a bit worried about what happens when Cleary and Datsyuk come back.

His little move and drop pass last night were fantastic -- too bad they didn't get finished for a score.
    Sorry for the Delay Stone.

Hudler - well, he is a difficult situation this year, isnt he? It seems like all fantasy expects are a little puzzled by his contributions this year. For me, I was a believer in him too and was estatic drafting him with my 1st round (8th overall) pick this past year. Since then, I have shipped him out and have went out of my way NOT to watch him.

Hudler has looked very ordinary this season. Even with the extra ice time due to injuries, he has struggle to put up CONSISTENT numbers which doesn't bode well for him when Cleary and Datsyuk return. He has a few games left to prove himself and if he can start to become more consistent then I think Hudler will continue to receive "some" PP time upon their return. However, I feel as though Babcock will have no issues removing him from the PP if he feels that he NEEDS to get Cleary back on the PP. Tomas Holmstrom's injury gives him a little more time but they play a totally different role.

If you are banking on him producing at more than a .50 pace going forward then I think you might be disappointed (especially with the return of Cleary and Pavel). I would hope he can produce at .50 and maybe a little more but don't expect a huge increase in production for the remainder of this years' games.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Preview for January 18th @ Pittsburgh

Detroit is getting it done regardless of some key injuries (6-2-2 in their last 10)
    Tonights' game in Pittsburgh will be the first of two meetings between the two clubs.

Key Injuries
    Pittsburgh - Crosby (concussion),
    Detroit- Datsyuk, Cleary, Holmstrom, Modano, Stuart and Howard

With a win tonight the Red Wings can tie Vancouver for the best record in the West and the League (nhl.com)

Who's Hot?
    Pittsburgh - Staal and Fleury have played well as of late
    Detroit - Zetterberg has played well but went without a point for the first time in a long time last game.

Production vs Opponent
    Crosby - 41 GP - 32G - 34A -66P
    Letang - 44 GP - 7G - 33A - 40P
    Malkin - 41 GP - 15G - 21A - 36P

Zetterberg - 45 GP - 16G - 34A - 50P
    Lidstrom - 45GP - 11G - 31A - 42P
    Datsyuk - 33GP - 12G - 27A - 39P

Starting Goalies
    MacDonald vs. Fleury

My Prediction
    Pittsburgh Wins 4-2
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks Dean.

I'm not too worried about this year, but would like to see a bit more so I know what I've got going forward.

Hopefully next season can be a big rebound for Hudler.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Tonight's Lines:
    Franzen - Zetterberg - Eaves
    Hudler - Filppula - Bertuzzi
    Helm - Miller - Draper
    Tatar - Abdelkader - Mursak

Lidstrom - Kronwall
    Ericsson - Rafalski
    Kindl - Salei

MacDonald

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Preview of January 20th @ St Louis Blues

- Tonight is the 4th of 6 meetings between the Wings and the Blues. Detroit took the first two on home ice (7-3, 5-2) and St Louis took the next one at home by a score of 4-3.
    - TJ Oshie returned last game and look for him to continue to provide this team with a sparkplug performance. The team really rallies around him.
    - Detroit sits 2nd in the conference (3 pts behind VAN) and St Louis currently sits 4 points out of 8th in 10th place.
    - Detroit is really missing the presence of their veteran forwards Datsyuk, Cleary and Holmstrom. Zetterberg has tried to carry the load but he can't do it himself. He needs more help from Franzen, Filppula and the streak Hudler.
    - Howard will return to the lineup after missing the last few due to a bruised knee. Look for this to give Detroit a boost.

Who's Hot?

Recently, Detroit's hottest player has been the likes of Darren Helm (recorded 4 2-pt games in his last 9 racking up 2G and 8A)

Injuries

Detroit: Stuart, Holmstrom, Cleary, Osgood, Datsyuk, Modano.
    St Louis: Colaiacovo, Perron, MacDonald

TOP 3 Production vs Opponents

vs. St Louis (this season)
    - Zetterberg - 3GP -1G-6A-7P
    - Raflaski - 3GP-0G-6A-6P
    - Lidstrom - 3GP -4G-1A-5P

vs. Detroit (this season)
    - Berglund - 3GP -2G-2A-4P
    - Boyes - 3GP -1G-2A- 3P
    - McDonald - 1GP-1G-2A-3P
    - Backes - 3GP -OG-3A-3P

Projected Goalie Starts