Dobber Sports Immortal

Wings lines to start tonight sans Datsyuk

Bertuzzi Zberg Franzen
    Hudler Filppula Cleary
    Abdelkader Helm Miller
    Holmstrom Emmerton Mursak

Pp1: Bertuzzi Zberg Franzen Lidstrom Kronwall
    Pp2: Hudler Filppula Cleary White Kindl

Obviously the key things to note are the defensive changes on the PP; White and Kronwall switching and the addition of Kindl on the point in the spot Hudler normally plays. Wouldn't be surprised to see all of this change by end of game or once Quincey arrives, but it is worth noting that Kindl was in control and set up their first goal tonight.

Dobber Sports Immortal

No Quincey or Lidstrom tonight....Smith and Janik are in. I will post a review of Smith's play tonight after the game.

It's good to see that Franzen is making joking about being played with Helm and Miller by saying he "hopes he doesn't slow them down, but there has to be a time where we see him take this team on his back and run. I mean he's making $5 million for the next four seasons and to me he hasn't shown that he's worth that in the slightest.

Not to bring up bad memories but here is a look at Franzen's finish AFTER his glorious five goal game on Feb 2 last season:

27 GP: 2g, 12a

Previous 49 GP: 26g, 15a

This season

Last 14 GP: 4g, 2a (half of which came on the PP)

He's also pointless in his last four and a minus-6 in their last three games (all losses). I get his regular linemate is out of the lineup and we all know what kind of effect Datsyuk has on each and every shift both offensively and defensively. But show some freaking fortitude Franzen and play with a little heart tonight.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Smith started the game with Kindl but eventually played some time White and then back to Kindl. He saw some time on a 4 on 4 situation mid way through the game and made a few nice little plays to clear the puck out from in front of the Wings net and then later to enter the CBJ zone.

He played a great game in every situation including some quick plays to make a few smooth breakout passes, showed great mobility with the puck on the blueline and had a few big hits (although both probably could have been penalties).

Conclusion....please put Smith on the PP point instead of Hudler.

Dobber Sports Immortal

New line tonight vs LA with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Bertuzzi, Ericsson and Kindl out

Nyquist-Franzen-Cleary

Dobber Sports Guru

from twitter:

MacDonald starting in goal tonight for Wings. The plan was to not play Howard back to back coming off groin injury

Ansar Khan ‏ @AnsarKhanMLive
    Bertuzzi said he is playing tonight.
    wonder what bertuzzi being back means for Nyquist .... I would assume he loses his spot on that line and goes down to the third or fourth unit

edit: looks like my question has been answered

Ansar Khan ‏ @AnsarKhanMLive
    Nyquist's equipment being packed up. Looks like he's being sent to Grand Rapids. Will check.
    Last edited by wendelclark17; March 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Update on some of the injured Wings

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ings_enco.html

Lidstrom
    He skated extensively for the third day in a row. He feels much better, though there is some pain when he turns to his right. But he didn't rule out a possible return Saturday at home against Carolina.
    Howard

He wasn't on the ice today but said an MRI Tuesday revealed no damage. He thinks he might be able to play Saturday.
    Franzen

He said feels better and is "getting there'' but isn't sure when he can start skating or return to action.
    “You always hope it can (heal) faster, but I'm going to let it take its time,'' Franzen said. "No need to rush it.''
    Ericsson

He was very encouraged by taking slap shots today, for the first time since getting injured on Feb. 25. He said he might return March 28 at Columbus.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Interesting poll over on Michigan Live's Red Wings section asking whether or not the Wings should bring Tomas Holmstrom back for a 16th season with the team.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ings_brin.html

It's obviously a very intriguing topic because of the way the Wings seem to handle their veteran players, but also because the results right now are almost 60/40 in favour of them NOT re-signing him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It's getting more and more obvious that his body is too banged up to be effective at this point.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    It's getting more and more obvious that his body is too banged up to be effective at this point.
    Oh for sure. I voted No myself, just a surprising poll to see at this point. Conveniently, he scored tonight breaking a 29 game drought.

Banned

damn watching the highlights from tonight's game...the Wings are making it look like they are playing a bantam team

Dobber Sports Immortal

Kukla's Korner .com ‏ @kuklaskorner

- THE MALIK REPORT: Wings Appear Healthy: Paul here for George. Both Ericsson and Franzen are scheduled to play... http://dlvr.it/1MxgZR
    Mursak and Kindl are out....which I believe means that Gustav Nyquist has earned a longer look. Great news for poolies.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Mursak and Kindl are out....which I believe means that Gustav Nyquist has earned a longer look. Great news for poolies.
    And by longer look, I guess I meant only 5:19 longer. I missed most of the game but he wasn't a minus and saw no PP time.

Huge points missed out on tonight. I knew Columbus would come out hard, not only because of the walloping they took on Monday, but because Allen York was getting only his 2nd start of the season.

Even though four of five are at home, the Wings do NOT have a favourable schedule the rest of the way.....

vs Nash
    vs Fla
    @ StL
    vs NJ
    vs Chi

The Wings are 3-2 against the Preds this year, taking both games thus far at the Joe. It's already been confirmed that Howard won't be back so Conklin vs Rinne looks like the matchup.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Jakub Kindl needs to be replaced by Brendan Smith. I don't care about seniority....the guy is a nightmare.

Dobber Sports Monster

newly signed Riley Sheahan to debut today vs Hawks.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29

Dobber Sports Immortal

Well......it's set. Wings and Preds in round one. Just need to figure out the seeding.