Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Red Wings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Detroit Red Wings

Dean Youngblood here as the newest member of the "Team Coverage Pages". After viewing the section, I found it necessary to step up and volunteer my services as the team from "HOCKEYTOWN" needs to be represented.

First off, I must admit, I am by no means a die hard wings fan but I have grown up about an hour northeast of Detroit and share the shores of the same waterway as the Joe Louis Arena. I have decided to take on the Red Wing thread because I have always admired the entire organization. The Red Wings organization seems to be put one of the best put together franchises in all of sport. The Ilitches represent the ideal ownership, the management team and coaching staff are idolized around the league. The roster is comprised of the perfect mix - savy veterans who don't seem to age (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Holmstrom), a whack of players in their prime (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Franzen) and a bunch of hungry rookies anxious to make their marks in Red Wings history (Jimmy Howard, Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, etc).

I have attended a number of games at the Joe Louis Arena and the Red Wings seem to win every game I attend (seriously, they are like 23-0). Unfortunately, the Joe Louis Arena's days are numbered but if you ever get a chance to attend a game then I recommend you give it a go for a number of reasons:

1. One of the cheapest tickets around - you can get standing room for under $20 (I pay that for standing room at the local OHL game ),
    2. Taking a leak in one of the Joe Louis' bathroom's "troughs" is a must do on all sportsmens/womens list

and ....lastly.....and the most important reason to attend a Red Wings' game at Joe Louis Arena.......

3. Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Niklas Lidstrom are simply the best players to watch. Datsyuk is the best puckhandler the game has seen since Mario Lemieux and I marvel at his talents.

So before we get started, I want to invite everyone to contribute to this Hockeytown thread as it's the best way to get full value out of it. Like I stated above, I am NOT a DIE HARD WINGS FAN (actually a closet leaf fan )but I felt as though this team NEEDED to be represented. I live in an area that has a lot of Red Wings coverage so I will pass on any information I come across. Ideally, I would love for our largest red wings fan Sentium to come about and contribute because he does have a vast knowledge of the Detroit Franchise (past and present) but I will do my best to keep all things Detroit here for the "WING NUTS" to enjoy.

I will utilize the same format as Shakedown has for his Hawks.

Game feedback
    Player news. lines, trades, injuries, etc etc
    Prospect news
    Some Grand Rapids news that is relevant
    Red Wing History ( going down memory lane)
    Article links
    Much much more....

Suggestions are welcomed.
    Last edited by Shake; November 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hey Shakedown, the wings plan an equally great tune in their own barn. The place goes nutts whenever it's played....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3ovlj6Zc0

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here is probably the number 1 reason why I could never hate the Red Wings (being a Leaf fan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVK3...eature=related
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUzpPYSZ_q0

LOVE this guy
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; November 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Some Thoughts on Tonight's Game vs the Columbus Blue Jackets

-The Red Wings won tonights game against their division rivals the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Wings came into tonights game needing to beat the Jackets to maintain first place in the Central Division

- Both Steve Mason and Jimmy Howard had strong games but it was Howard's 34 save effort that won the game for the Red Wings. Howard stopped a penalty shot by Jared Boll midway through the 2nd period.

- Hudler played a measly 10:33, 1:57 of which was on the PP and he did register a PPA. However, from the parts I watched him play he seemed to play too passive of a game. He made several unnecessary turnovers and his defensive play leaves something to be desired. I was not impressed with his play at all and now that I have traded him (tonight) I can say that I can see why Babcock has made him a healthy scratch several times.

- Nik Lidstrom went his 2nd straight game without registering a point (+1 though) - I guess he is human after all. Lidstrom is simply amazing. He has registered a point in 14 of his 20 games this season! He is currently on pace for 82 points!

- Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk failed to reach the scoresheet as well but they once again the Wings showed that their wealth of depth pays off as Franzen and Filppula had very very strong games.

- The Wings have reached the 20 game mark and they currently sit 1st in the Western Conference taking 30 of a possible 40 points.

- The Wings will face the BlueJackets in a rematch Sunday in Detroit at 5pm EST

Feel free to add your observations/thoughts

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Modano has had surgery on his right wrist - out indefinitely.

Look for this to give Hudler a little longer leash and Abdelkader more icetime on even strength. He will replace Modano as the 3rd line C. I expect Hudler will replace Modano on the 2nd PP unit. It will be interesting to see what Babcock does.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...520#post597520

The Magnificent One

great stuff. so what were the lines from last nights game. bc i thought franzen was going to be on a line with zett and datsyuk or atleast i thought that was the lines the last few games. but i see franzen scoring wihtout datsyuk or zett getting assists.

also what is going on wih datsyuk not recording points each game. he is doing well on the season but seems to be a bit upsetting everyother game. is his game turning more into a team role or is he still have that explosive scroing touch?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Watching a bit of the Wings-Columbus Sunday game right now and the here is how he lines look

PP1 - Datsyuk, Franzen, Holmstrom, Lidstrom and Rafalski
    PP2 - Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Filppula, Kronwall and Hudler

1st - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom
    2nd - Franzen, Filppula, Bertuzzi
    3rd - Cleary, Hudler, Abdelkader
    4th - Miller, Helm, Eaves

Lidstrom - Stuart
    Rafalski - Ericsson
    Kronwall - Salei

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quite the interesting day for the Detroit Red Wings. They were unable to take the morning skate because of a power outage and until a couple of hours ago neither the Sharks or Wings knew if the game would be played.

No worries Wing Nuts, the power has been restored at HP Pavilion and the game will be played at 10:30EST as scheduled

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

For a little pre-game read, follow this link. It's pretty funny.

Apparently the Red Wings aren't going to be promoting Twitter anytime soon

http://www.freep.com/article/2010113...er-typewriters

Some Tidbits from the article,

“Twittering,” Chris Osgood said, “is stupid. I hope nobody in here does it. It doesn’t make any sense to me.”

“I’ve never even heard of it,” Todd Bertuzzi said. “What’s Twitter? We’re not Twitter people. Jesus. I’m just getting used to my Blackberry. I’m more of a typewriter guy.”

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts this week

The Red Wing-lovers at Kuklas Korner get positively orgasmic when I write stuff like this, so consider it an early Christmas present: From a GM, "Detroit is the best team we've played this year. It's not even close. Their puck control is incredible...You have to hope your goalie has a great night to give you a chance."
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; November 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Tonight's game vs the SJ Sharks will be the first of 4 regular season games between DET and SJS in 2010-11

Detroit's Record vs. San Jose
    60 - 28 - 4 - 0 - 1 (SOL)
    Goals for Detroit: 355
    Goals against Detroit: 237

24-20-3 Record on the Road vs. San Jose

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just curious if you know anything about Tatar...what should we expect from a guy like this and when? And what about Brendan Smith...replacement of Liddy?
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    Just curious if you know anything about Tatar...what should we expect from a guy like this and when? And what about Brendan Smith...replacement of Liddy?

Both Smith and Tatar are MUST OWN type of players in any keeper league that has prospect spots.

Smith started the season on fire (9 pts in 9 october games) but has had a forgetable month of novermber as he has only 2 points in 13 November games. He's still learning the game at the pro level but he projects to be the next puck moving dman for Detroit once Lidstrom and Rafalski exit. As with any Red Wing, patience is needed with all of their prospects but in the end it seems that any Red Wing prospect is gauranteed to be effective at the NHL level so the wait is definitely worth it. I expect him to challenge for a roster spot next season 2011-12 but I think 2012-13 would be a better situation for Smith. Clearly, a lot will depend on Lidstrom's decision. Kindl has been a healthy scratch so giving minutes to rookie dmen is definitely no gaurantee.

Tatar - As you probably know Tomas Tatar had a 7 point effort last week (2G, 5A) and is their best forward prospect IMO. He's a sure fire NHLer in my mind and plays a very complete game. I will be making an effort to learn more about Tatar over the season and I will surely pass on any information I come across on him. I expect Tatar to push for a roster spot in 2012-13 as well.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Both Smith and Tatar are MUST OWN type of players in any keeper league that has prospect spots.

Smith started the season on fire (9 pts in 9 october games) but has had a forgetable month of novermber as he has only 2 points in 13 November games. He's still learning the game at the pro level but he projects to be the next puck moving dman for Detroit once Lidstrom and Rafalski exit. As with any Red Wing, patience is needed with all of their prospects but in the end it seems that any Red Wing prospect is gauranteed to be effective at the NHL level so the wait is definitely worth it. I expect him to challenge for a roster spot next season 2011-12 but I think 2012-13 would be a better situation for Smith. Clearly, a lot will depend on Lidstrom's decision. Kindl has been a healthy scratch so giving minutes to rookie dmen is definitely no gaurantee.

Tatar - As you probably know Tomas Tatar had a 7 point effort last week (2G, 5A) and is their best forward prospect IMO. He's a sure fire NHLer in my mind and plays a very complete game. I will be making an effort to learn more about Tatar over the season and I will surely pass on any information I come across on him. I expect Tatar to push for a roster spot in 2012-13 as well.
    I definitely 100% agree on this.

Tatar and Smith for sure 100% absolutely are prospects you want to own or trade for NOW rather than later. It's only gonna get alot harder to acquire these players as time moves on.

The Red Wings have a few more beyond these two. SO once again as the Wings always do, these players are not question marks. The only question is when not if they arrive and arrive for long term with a great amount of success.

Wings reload season 2013 IMO

Administrator

What's the deal with Emmerton? I had pretty much written him off after last season's mediocre AHL season, but now he's off to a great start. Is he still just a future checking line guy or has the outlook changed?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Tough loss last night for the wings.

Here's a quick read on Hudler to date
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...medium=twitter

The line that I agree with the most is,

Hudler left the NHL an NHLer but has come back to with a skill set that seems to have taken five steps back. He looks like a rookie trying to crack a spot on an NHL roster. He needs to redevelop his NHL skill level.
    There's also mentions that suggest putting him on waivers. I doubt that will happen but we will see I guess.

Just your Red Wings' update