Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 17 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 77 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1262

Thread: Detroit Red Wings

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Detroit Red Wings

Notes on Yzerman for tonight....

Yzerman notes that Detroit will be picking the best player available at 6th overall, regardless of position. Not going to draft based on specific need - notes that the NHL is different than leagues like the NFL. #LGRW

Dobber Sports Pro

Oh well, that settles it then.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's already shown he's not afraid to get and get who he likes. No one had Seider going that high to Detroit two years ago so he's proved he goes for what he likes. What that is, who the hell knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

A recap of the Wings [url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/redwings/2021/07/steve-yzerman-kris-draper-break-down-red-wings-2021-draft-picks.html%3foutputType=amp[/url

Steve Yzerman, Kris Draper break down Red Wings’ 2021 draft picks
    Updated 11:25 PM; Today 11:25 PM
    Simon Edvinsson
    Swedish defenseman Simon Edvinsson is expected to be one of the top picks in the 2021 NHL draft (photo courtesy of Frolunda HC).
    By Ansar Khan | [email protected]
    Steve Yzerman earlier in the week called his third draft as Detroit Red Wings general manager “unpredictable” due to effects of the pandemic the past 16 months.

Some leagues were cancelled, some played with a reduced schedule. Travel restrictions made scouting in-person more challenging.

Teams leaned more heavily on reports from areas scouts and video, and ultimately it was more of a guessing game this year.

“We put our list together of not so much gut but the eye test,” Yzerman said. “Do you like the player? Do you like the way he plays? Do you like the attributes that he has? Do you think he’s going to be an NHLer?

1. Simon Edvinsson
    Position: Defense

2020-21: Frolunda (Sweden, SHL)

Selected: First round (No. 6)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 198

Shoots: Left

Yzerman: “He’s a big, rangy D that can really skate. He’s got good puck skills. We just see his potential to be a defenseman that can log a lot of minutes and be a solid defender that can add some offense as well.”

2. Sebastian Cossa
    Position: Goaltender

2020-21: Edmonton (WHL)

Selected: First round (No. 15)

Height/Weight: 6-6/210

Catches: Left

Yzerman: “From everyone we talked to, from watching him over the last two years, our guys are confident that he has the mental makeup it takes to be a real good goalie, You’ve got to be able to roll with the punches and shrug off bad goals, bad games and deal with a lot of adversity, maybe more so than any other position in our sport.”

3. Shai Buium

2020-21: Sioux City (USHL)

Selected: Second round (No. 36)

Height/Weight: 6-3, 209

Draper: “We felt we drafted a potential top-four defenseman. He has very good hockey sense. He has a frame that when he’s ready to turn pro he could easily be 225-230 pounds. That’s pretty intriguing for a defenseman. He has good poise with the puck, he’s able to move the puck.”

4. Carter Mazur
    Position: Left wing

2020-21: Tri-City (USHL)

Selected: Third round (No. 70)

Height/Weight: 6-0/170

Shoots: Right

Draper: “He’s grown 2-3 inches; he’s put on about 20 pounds (in the past year). He knows he needs to still get bigger and stronger. The interesting thing for me was watching Tri-City and seeing the improvement in Carter from last year to this year. As we were talking to our scouts it was a pick, we all wanted to make.”

5. Red Savage
    Position: Center

2020-21: U.S. National Team Development Program

Selected: Fourth Round (No. 114)

Height/Weight: 5-11/180

Draper: “Watching him play even at an early age, he just understood how to play the game. You could tell that he’s been around the game. Very responsible two-way player. That’s the way he was wired and how he was brought up. He understands that’s how he’s going to turn himself into a good pro.”

6. Liam Dower Nilsson
    Position: Center

2020-21: Frolunda Jr. (Sweden)

Selected: Fifth round (No. 134)

Height/Weight: 6-0/172

Draper: “He has good hockey sense, a lot of character, a lot of compete and just seems like another player who loves the game. With that and Hakan (director of European scouting Andersson) was a big fan of his, spent the last couple years watching him, it just made sense.”

7. Oscar Plandowski

2020-21: Charlottetown (QMJHL)

Selected: Fifth round (No. 155)

Height/Weight: 6-0/190

Shoots: Right

Yzerman: “At that spot, were debating a couple of different players and we liked the fact that he’s got good size, he can skate and he’s a right shot.”

8. Pasquale Zito
    Position: Left wing

2020-21: Did not play; played for Windsor (OHL) in 2019-20.

Selected: Sixth round (No. 166)

Height/Weight: 6-0/175

Draper: “He wants to be a hard player to play against. He wants to compete against the other team’s top players. He wants to make a tough net-front presence. Those are the things you like.”

Dobber Sports Deity

Two players drafted this weekend are kids of good friends of mine. Oscar Plandowski's Mom is a good friend of mine. She grew up figure skating with my sister so I know where Oscar got his skating skills from.

Cam Whynot drafted by Calgary in the 3rd round is another kid I know the parent very well. His Dad Dale and I grew up together and I used to date Cams aunt way back when. I played hockey with Dale. He was a good player back in the day too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Another solid draft by the Wings. I really like the Zito pick for that round.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Stud

As always... in Stevie we trust... but here are my non-expert thoughts on the draft:

1) S.Edvinsson: Love this pick. Was really hoping either he or L.Hughes fell to 6. I'm finally 'happy' with the balance of our D prospect pipeline... which is the position (along with goal) that I think you should ideally build out from first in a true/full rebuild. Edvinsson, McIsaac, A.Jo, Wallinder, Buium, Sebrango, Viro on the left - Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom, Tuomisto, Barton, and few long shots on the right. Dig it.

2) S.Cossa: While I assumed Wallstedt was the 'better' option, I'll trust the RW scouts if they pick the 'less obvious' choice. Yzerman noted how with the acquisition of Ned, it gives them time to let Cossa develop at his own pace... something that I think is super important and tough to do if you're getting killed in net every year.

3) S.Buium: While I think there were some better options on the table (especially at F), I don't mind stocking up the backend further with this pick.

4) C.Mazur: Not a guy I was familiar with, so can't speak to his game/projectability - the only 'flag' for me is the number of mid-round LW's the Wings seem to be taking the past few drafts. Makes me a little concerned that guys like Mastrosimone and Hanas aren't instilling confidence. (Or maybe they just liked Mazur!)

5) R.Savage: Love this pick. Right time to invest in a guy with his skill set/ceiling. You still need your Draper/Glendening types when your Raymond/Zadina's ripen.

6) L.Dower-Nilsson: Another guy I haven't seen... but if Hakan likes him... I'm sold.

7) O.Plandowski: Nothing against OP himself, but I'm always hesitant when I read that a guy was picked because of "size" and "which way he shoots". I'd prefer to have seen them invest in a high-upside/boom-bust F at this stage (similar to the Kivenmaki, Tyutyayev picks in previous drafts)

8) P.Zito: Solid choice. Hope that he becomes a PITA 4th-liner... again, something that will be needed when the scorers are peaking.

All in all, I think it was an 'above-average' draft for the Wings. Not as robust as the past few years (when they had a ton of picks and there were arguably deeper pools) but I love that they came away with 2 "highly likely to develop" assets in the 1st and another D with a decent shot to play in the 2nd.

Final Grade: B+
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    2) S.Cossa: While I assumed Wallstedt was the 'better' option, I'll trust the RW scouts if they pick the 'less obvious' choice. Yzerman noted how with the acquisition of Ned, it gives them time to let Cossa develop at his own pace... something that I think is super important and tough to do if you're getting killed in net every year.

8) P.Zito: Solid choice. Hope that he becomes a PITA 4th-liner... again, something that will be needed when the scorers are peaking.
    Above average draft for the Wings, but really good if it was another team :P.
    8) This is my thoughts exactly.

2) I disagree with the development / getting killed part. As a goalie I often attribute my most developing year to the one I was getting shelled in net. 60+ shots a game. Keep in mind 10 minute periods. You see so many rare situations so quickly you can actually practice them. Ya we barely won any games and if I was off a little the score would be like 9-1 as opposed to 5-1 (more mental conditioning here too), but the games were still fun and helpful. Learn the most in a lose. Maybe it depends on the person. Confidence was never an issue for me and I didn't care how many shots I got against. As Carey Price would say "It's fun".

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Above average draft for the Wings, but really good if it was another team :P.
    8) This is my thoughts exactly.

2) I disagree with the development / getting killed part. As a goalie I often attribute my most developing year to the one I was getting shelled in net. 60+ shots a game. Keep in mind 10 minute periods. You see so many rare situations so quickly you can actually practice them. Ya we barely won any games and if I was off a little the score would be like 9-1 as opposed to 5-1 (more mental conditioning here too), but the games were still fun and helpful. Learn the most in a lose. Maybe it depends on the person. Confidence was never an issue for me and I didn't care how many shots I got against. As Carey Price would say "It's fun".
    Haha LOVE that attitude Invictus! Wish you'd been my goalie growing up as my teams would have offered you some great developmental years

Jokes aside - that's an interesting take and one that I can see merit in. While I think the 'conventional' mentality is to not put players (and especially goalies) into confidence-rattling experiences... that doesn't mean that someone with an 'optimal' perspective and mindset couldn't thrive in that scenario.

I'm likely biased from watching the Wings over-marinate their guys (with a great deal of success) but appreciate that counter-point as a valid one to 'norm'.

Rep to you for the perspective.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Haha LOVE that attitude Invictus! Wish you'd been my goalie growing up as my teams would have offered you some great developmental years
    Lol well to be fair it wasn't an every year occurrence. I could even say I was selfish in I wanted the action/ exposure. More pressure the better. I performed better too. If things were too slack I lost focus.

"Wings over-marinate their guys" Would you say this is mostly for their developing skaters though?
    I think for the skaters it works the opposite. If you're getting killed every night there's a lot of the game you are missing out on.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think the over marinating is a thing of the past now. They haven't had the depth, skill or talent to over marinate recently. Zadina didn't spend long in the minors. If Rasmussen had been healthier I'll bet he would have seen a more regular role earlier as well.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I think the over marinating is a thing of the past now. They haven't had the depth, skill or talent to over marinate recently. Zadina didn't spend long in the minors. If Rasmussen had been healthier I'll bet he would have seen a more regular role earlier as well.
    That may have hurt/ slowed down Zadina???? Obviously some players don't need it, but I think getting them the minutes and exposure to different situations goes a long ways in their development. Much more so then the 13mins in an NHL game on the 4th line in a roll that isn't suited to their skillset.
    I don't think handling a goalie is close to the same as a skater.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Arbitration news for the Wings.

. Jakub Vrana's arbitration hearing is scheduled for August 11, Adam Erne's for August 21, the NHLPA has announced

Dobber Sports Initiate

Can Dylan Larkin hit 70 points again?
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Can Dylan Larkin hit 70 points again?
    Not this season. Maybe he gets back there the season after.