Page 354 of 370 FirstFirst ... 254 304 344 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 364 ... LastLast
Results 5,296 to 5,310 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    From the latest 32 Thoughts, while talking about the Oilers.

Interesting to know who the big ask was for Lafferty. Clearly Chicago is hoping for a home run with him. Glad to hear it wasn't Holland biting on this one. I like Lafferty but he's a 3C at best on most teams, and clearly that on Edmonton.

I still think Bjugstad is the guy they should be focused on for their right handed center option for the bottom six but we'll see.
    Isn't the rumoured ask for Lafferty a 1st+? Seems they are asking a huge price because he's got two years on his cheap deal, similar to the Hagel deal last year.

I don't mind Bjugstad but Arizona's sounding pretty unreasonable with some of their trade demands and unwillingness to take money back so I'm writing them off in this trade market.

Instead I'm turning my attention to all the UFAs on the Capitals: Orlov, Jensen, Hathaway, Sheary. It's rather intriguing.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

I wonder if a trade around Puljujarvi and Klingberg makes any sense for Edmonton. I know at the start of the season when Anaheim signed him, there was smoke around Edmonton also being interested in him. He's got a big contract ($7M against the cap) but if Anaheim would eat something close to 50%, Puljujarvi's $3M would be close as far as dollar in/dollar out goes for Holland's deadline philosophy goes. Klingberg has not had a great year but he's a good puck moving Dman that could help their transition game. Im not sure what the add would have to be to get Anaheim to eat plus take back Puljujarvi would be but the typical 1st round pick I am sure is part of any discussion.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I wonder if a trade around Puljujarvi and Klingberg makes any sense for Edmonton. I know at the start of the season when Anaheim signed him, there was smoke around Edmonton also being interested in him. He's got a big contract ($7M against the cap) but if Anaheim would eat something close to 50%, Puljujarvi's $3M would be close as far as dollar in/dollar out goes for Holland's deadline philosophy goes. Klingberg has not had a great year but he's a good puck moving Dman that could help their transition game. Im not sure what the add would have to be to get Anaheim to eat plus take back Puljujarvi would be but the typical 1st round pick I am sure is part of any discussion.
    Klingberg would require another team to retain to make it work, and Anaheim probably asks for more to take back Puljujarvi. Really frustrating to see where things have ended up with Puljujarvi. I still think he's a player with value, just not a top line guy. He is absolutely going to emerge on another team as a very dependable middle-6 winger, more likely on a checking third line, even if that's exactly the role Puljujarvi was campaigning to get out of Edmonton over. In a world where he doesn't lose all his confidence we might even be talking about him as a trade asset (of course he also probably wouldn't be on the block) and you could probably get a Klingberg for him straight up.

If I were a rebuilding team, I'd way rather get a guy like Puljujarvi in the building, see if he can regain confidence and contribute to my next winning team soon but it would seem that teams see the Oilers are in a cap bind and are determined to leverage it. No sweetheart deals here.

Okay, enough griping about the Puljujarvi situation. As for Klingberg, I just keep thinking that every non-Karlsson (I also like McCabe but every Canadian team outside of Toronto is on his no-trade list) defenseman that you hear about isn't actually going to make the squad better. Can Klingberg handle the tough matchups partnered with Nurse? Does he offer anything they don't already have in Bouchard and Barrie? You'd placate the stars on the team who have reportedly asked for the team to acquire another puckmoving defenseman. I'm just not certain that Klingberg is the guy for this. I'd rather just save the picks you'd need to trade and wait for the draft to move for a real difference maker because it's easier move cap at the draft. That means wasting another year, but it just doesn't seem like they can make it work for a real difference maker.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Klingberg would require another team to retain to make it work, and Anaheim probably asks for more to take back Puljujarvi. Really frustrating to see where things have ended up with Puljujarvi. I still think he's a player with value, just not a top line guy. He is absolutely going to emerge on another team as a very dependable middle-6 winger, more likely on a checking third line, even if that's exactly the role Puljujarvi was campaigning to get out of Edmonton over. In a world where he doesn't lose all his confidence we might even be talking about him as a trade asset (of course he also probably wouldn't be on the block) and you could probably get a Klingberg for him straight up.

If I were a rebuilding team, I'd way rather get a guy like Puljujarvi in the building, see if he can regain confidence and contribute to my next winning team soon but it would seem that teams see the Oilers are in a cap bind and are determined to leverage it. No sweetheart deals here.

Okay, enough griping about the Puljujarvi situation. As for Klingberg, I just keep thinking that every non-Karlsson (I also like McCabe but every Canadian team outside of Toronto is on his no-trade list) defenseman that you hear about isn't actually going to make the squad better. Can Klingberg handle the tough matchups partnered with Nurse? Does he offer anything they don't already have in Bouchard and Barrie? You'd placate the stars on the team who have reportedly asked for the team to acquire another puckmoving defenseman. I'm just not certain that Klingberg is the guy for this. I'd rather just save the picks you'd need to trade and wait for the draft to move for a real difference maker because it's easier move cap at the draft. That means wasting another year, but it just doesn't seem like they can make it work for a real difference maker.
    I totally agree, but I still think Holland makes a trade of some sort for another Dman. I only say Klingberg because he's a legit puckmover and that seems to be on the want list for Holland. Maybe Gostisbehere finds his way into the conversation there too. I know you mentioned dealing with Arizona seems to be a headache, and you're probably right, but who's to say they dont see value in Puljujarvi + in some sort of deal there too. At the end of the day, I think Holland does something, and it's probably not going to be a good thing.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I totally agree, but I still think Holland makes a trade of some sort for another Dman. I only say Klingberg because he's a legit puckmover and that seems to be on the want list for Holland. Maybe Gostisbehere finds his way into the conversation there too. I know you mentioned dealing with Arizona seems to be a headache, and you're probably right, but who's to say they dont see value in Puljujarvi + in some sort of deal there too. At the end of the day, I think Holland does something, and it's probably not going to be a good thing.
    I heard Dreger speculate today that overall interest in Klingberg is low due to his poor season thus far in the Anaheim and the price to trade for Klingberg could be less than what people might think. The plan was always for Anaheim to get SOMETHING for Klingberg by trade deadline but the hope of 1st rounders or multiple picks may be gone. Klingberg could be a good Plan B value trade for Holland in the end.

Dobber Sports Icon

Why would the Oilers want Klingberg? He's not going to replace Ceci on the "top pair" and he's not a better puck mover or defender than either Tyson Barrie or Evan Bouchard. Why would they want to add that cap hit without upgrading their team?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    I heard Dreger speculate today that overall interest in Klingberg is low due to his poor season thus far in the Anaheim and the price to trade for Klingberg could be less than what people might think. The plan was always for Anaheim to get SOMETHING for Klingberg by trade deadline but the hope of 1st rounders or multiple picks may be gone. Klingberg could be a good Plan B value trade for Holland in the end.
    If Gavrikov is netting a 1st and 3rd I don't see why ANA can't get at least a 1st for Klingberg, but maybe that -30 is scaring everyone!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Why would the Oilers want Klingberg? He's not going to replace Ceci on the "top pair" and he's not a better puck mover or defender than either Tyson Barrie or Evan Bouchard. Why would they want to add that cap hit without upgrading their team?
    What makes you so confident Ceci wouldn't be replaced on the top pairing?

I'll share with you this article that I shared a couple days ago as to why Nurse and Ceci aren't great together and an upgrade could help. It may be Klingberg, it may not be, but Ceci-Nurse is not a good top pairing. It's a good read on the Oilers defensive pairings and potential upgrade opportunities from within. And they wouldn't be adding the cap hit if they can get Anaheim to retain and take back a contract of similar value (ie Puljujarvi).

https://oilersnation.com/news/how-go...ensive-pairing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    If Gavrikov is netting a 1st and 3rd I don't see why ANA can't get at least a 1st for Klingberg, but maybe that -30 is scaring everyone!
    Two totally different types of players and different contracts.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm worried that Holland will make a brutal deal, giving up a guy like Bouchard for an older, large contract player. Karlsson is intriguing, but I'm not sure dealing a guy like Bouchard is worth it. I guess if you think Karlsson can be as good (or close enough) to this season going forward a couple of seasons (at a reduced cap hit of course), then it might be worth it to take a shot, but damn, I am not sure. I'm still pissed Holland traded down in the 2021 Entry Draft, passing on a potential franchise goalie in Wallstedt.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

All the reports indicate that Arizona wants the moon and won't take back money in a trade, which likely rules out any sort of Puljujarvi+ deal. And it's the same thing for Gostisbehere as with Klingberg, why add another imperfect Dman when they already have a handful? Holland's been pretty explicit that this team has been missing a #1 ever since Klefbom left. Anything short of that feels like a waste of time and assets. Keep the powder dry and maybe it becomes easier to find at the draft.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm worried that Holland will make a brutal deal, giving up a guy like Bouchard for an older, large contract player. Karlsson is intriguing, but I'm not sure dealing a guy like Bouchard is worth it. I guess if you think Karlsson can be as good (or close enough) to this season going forward a couple of seasons (at a reduced cap hit of course), then it might be worth it to take a shot, but damn, I am not sure. I'm still pissed Holland traded down in the 2021 Entry Draft, passing on a potential franchise goalie in Wallstedt.
    I have faith that at the very least if Bouchard is going the door it'll be for an elite talent like Karlsson. I'm still frustrated that San Jose isn't bending over backwards to even get off half the contract they owe Karlsson. This could be their one and only chance. Either back off on the assets you want back or on the retention. But I get it, Mike Grier wants to hit a grand slam and maybe has an owner giving him the backing to hold off on retention or is actively limiting the amount they'll retain. Either way, he's playing a hell of a game of chicken. But I suppose as long as Karlsson avoids injury the rest of the way, then the market will be even more flexible/robust this summer. They've already paid out $10M+ of the $12M salary Karlsson is owed for this season because of a massive signing bonus in this year, so getting off him right now doesn't help them that much financially.

Dobber Sports Deity

Orlov would have been a dandy catch for Holland. Oh well.

Administrator

Orlov would have been a dandy catch for Holland. Oh well.
    Yup. Unless Edmonton was on Orlov's 5-team No Trade list there's no reason they couldn't have paid what Boston just did for the Orlov-Hathaway package, sending Puljujarvi back.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yup. Unless Edmonton was on Orlov's 5-team No Trade list there's no reason they couldn't have paid what Boston just did for the Orlov-Hathaway package, sending Puljujarvi back.
    That's quite possible.

Dobber Sports Jedi

There's no way Ceci should be on anyone's top pair.
    He wasn't a top pair dman for Ott four years ago.

I don't really follow the Oilers... but Ceci is a 3rd pair Dman.
    Which means they need at least two top 4D
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4