Page 336 of 370 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 346 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

I don't know how much of this would be on a GM's mind but:

- If you make the playoffs and don't go far you could be fired
    - If you don't make the playoffs and do nothing of substances at the trade deadline, you will likely be fired
    - If you don't make the playoffs and trade away futures for nows, you're fired and likely having a hard time getting a job in the future
    - If you make the playoffs while trading away futures for nows...better get far because if you don't, you could be fired and you make it harder in the future if you aren't fired.

It could be Holland thinking about his own future more than his team. Also, how much does a goalie improve the team right now? There's a lot of holes right now, but a goalie could get the save that pushes the team a la Kessel era Leafs. Built off of a goalie stealing goals away and transition attacks with weaker D. There's lots of goalies out there like Varly, Vanacek, Fleury, Holtby/Khudobin, and others I'm forgetting. But with the new schedule for Canadian teams playing a lot, having 2 strong goalies could really matter.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I do get the lack of a move sometimes because if you're team isn't showing it, why make a move and hurt your future for nothing. But Holland has no future if this continues so I'm a bit confused at his lack of urgency. But that's not bad considering they would be a top 15 pick with that first rounder and it's looking like they would be heading towards top 10.

EF always says though, GMs don't help a team. If they see you sinking, they don't throw you a life preserver, they throw you an anvil.
    The Oilers are not worried and even thinking about draft picks and where they will land. They are, and should be, focused on making the playoffs. And yes, of course teams arent going to send teams life preservers. That's no shock.

I like Hollands slow hand approach when it comes to prospects, but when he has a team that should be challenging for a playoff spot, the main roster should not be slow played.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The Oilers are not worried and even thinking about draft picks and where they will land. They are, and should be, focused on making the playoffs. And yes, of course teams arent going to send teams life preservers. That's no shock.

I like Hollands slow hand approach when it comes to prospects, but when he has a team that should be challenging for a playoff spot, the main roster should not be slow played.
    With the Oilers do we think a 1st for Fleury is a fix for the team, or is it multiple additions that are required? Would the Oiler Nation want like to use the 1st on a player and go after a lesser goalie in like Korp, Holtby, maybe Vanecek or should they go after Fleury?

usually it's pretty simple checklists for playoff teams in the trade market. But with the Oilers it's like multiple positions needed. We'll see what they think they need/do. And I don't know how creative Holland can get with his thinking to make things work.

This isn't snarky, it's a legit question for Oilers fans. Is it just a goalie needed, or should they go after multiple higher end positions.

Dobber Sports Genius

This is my thoughts as a Canucks fan. The Canucks were a good team in the mid 2000's with the westcoast express and the young Sedins coming up. We didn't become a great team, winning back to back presidents trophy's and making it to the finals until we had Loungo. The Oilers need their Loungo. Every other accusation is just a distraction they need a goalie period. Once that happens it will have a calming affect on the whole team and they will be a powerhouse. They should look at trading anything outside of McDavid or Draisatil to make that happen.

Unfortunately they botched the Markstrom deal or they would already be here. Now they need the next target.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree that the lack of action by the FO is frustrating, but outside of his legacy I really don't think Holland is worried about his future employment prospects. He was more or less retired until Katz and Co offered him too much $$$ to refuse.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Deity

This is just an opinion, I'm am not Ken Holland, but I do not see him trading his 1st for Fleury. He's not trading that pick for a rental. I can see him working it in a deal for someone like Vanacek, Huuso, Varlamov; someone they can see a longer term investment. Again, just my opinion.

I think the easiest choice to make a short term fix is to let Tippett go and promote Gulutzan on an interim basis.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

What's the Oilers fans checklist for the next 2 months for the team? Do you guys want a full buy moving a 1st, 2nd or prospects for the win now? Who are realistic targets you guys want? I'm disconnected from the team enough to just not have any clue right now what they should do or need.

Dobber Sports Deity

Are we even halfway through the season yet? Lots of time to turn things around but the longer Holland waits, the harder it gets.

A goalie has to be the top priority for Holland but acquiring a needle-moving goalie mid-season is not an easy thing to do.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Are we even halfway through the season yet? Lots of time to turn things around but the longer Holland waits, the harder it gets.

A goalie has to be the top priority for Holland but acquiring a needle-moving goalie mid-season is not an easy thing to do.
    Ya it's super early (36gp/82) but things could get out of hand. The good thing is tho, there aren't many teams out there that are "cup contenders" that are in the market for that needle-moving goalie right now. So they do have 'trade-runway' to use, but 'games-runway' could be really short soon.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's early but.... currently based on points percentage the following teams are ahead of the Oilers for the wildcard spots. Minnesota, Calgary, Winnipeg, Dallas. Those are good teams and my money would be that the central will take both spots. That means you need to be top three in the Pacific. Vegas will get their spot and looks like Calgary will as well. That leaves the Oilers fighting with the California teams for the final spot. Which aren't world beaters anymore but have a head start based on current records.

They cannot let this slide for much longer. Coaching change might be the quickest way to get a dead cat bounce until they find a goaltender.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    It's early but.....

They cannot let this slide for much longer. Coaching change might be the quickest way to get a dead cat bounce until they find a goaltender.
    I don’t follow the Oilers closely. It is a complete joy to watch McDavid and Draisaitl play when the team is playing well.

A coaching change could be enough to inject some energy, New life into the team. At the least it would buy time to get the goal tending sorted out. Last thing you would want to happen is to waste the McDavid, Draisaitl Oiler era.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Ninja

Basically the big things that were raised as issues (defense is suspect and Duncan Keith is the tire fire most people expected, goaltending is a massive issue as well), are actual issues.

I honestly think it would be best to just trade McDavid and Draisaitl and give those guys a place to play that isn't utterly incompetent. They deserve better.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Basically the big things that were raised as issues (defense is suspect and Duncan Keith is the tire fire most people expected, goaltending is a massive issue as well), are actual issues.

I honestly think it would be best to just trade McDavid and Draisaitl and give those guys a place to play that isn't utterly incompetent. They deserve better.
    Ya, the Oilers care about "giving those guys a place to play that isn't utterly incompetent." Imagine if teams actually thought that way about their stars while they still have prime years ahead of them. Imagine it....

Dobber Sports Titan

If a player got into a bit of a hard road and demanded a trade after agreeing to be with the team long term, they'd be in the NBA.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If a player got into a bit of a hard road and demanded a trade after agreeing to be with the team long term, they'd be in the NBA.
    This is a big compliment to NBA players, not NHL players.

The NHL is the only league where loyalty matters, unfortunately loyalty only goes one way and the players haven't figured it out yet.