Page 267 of 370 FirstFirst ... 167 217 257 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 277 317 367 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think every rationale party would agree that there is danger in overpaying Kassian as he is very much a passenger. The good news is that they have several years of data on what Kassian is away from McDavid and Draisaitl so they should avoid breaking the bank here, although that didn't stop them from overdoing it with Chiasson. Ideally, the Oilers would be using that third slot on the McDavid/Draisaitl line to prop up struggling wingers and also be developing young talent in-house that can fill the role on the cheap. That they haven't moved away from Kassian highlights how well that line is working, but also what a house of cards this team is despite its standing atop the Western Conference.
    It's actually worse than just the top line being insane. Not only does the top line need to be otherworldly every night, but the team HAS to get excellent goaltending, and HAS to have the special teams excel. If any one of those three legs on this stool of doom fall apart, the team will collapse.

That being said, I'll gladly watch this illusion win games all season if they can keep it up. It's better than foul display I've been forced to watch (and generally turn off early in disgust) over the past decade +.

Dobber Sports Icon

Anything over $2M per season for 3 years is too much. Kassian should know that as much as the Oilers do. The Oilers need to cut costs wherever they can and signing the 3rd wheel on the Draisaitl/McDavid line for more than their worth is not going to help the franchise.

The Great One

The only thing to do with Kassian is trade him before he becomes Lucic. He’s a classic sell high and is not nor will he become a poor mans Tom Wilson. Maximize return come trade deadline time - or trade him now. His value will never be higher and any length contract will be too long in short order.

Speaking of goaltending. Why does Tippett insist on starting Smith? The team does not play confidently in front of him and he keeps killing their mojo every game he starts. He’s terrible. This should no longer be a tandem. Koskinen is not fantastic, but he’s clearly better than Smith. Cut the crap and make him the clear starter.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    The only thing to do with Kassian is trade him before he becomes Lucic. He’s a classic sell high and is not nor will he become a poor mans Tom Wilson. Maximize return come trade deadline time - or trade him now. His value will never be higher and any length contract will be too long in short order.

Speaking of goaltending. Why does Tippett insist on starting Smith? The team does not play confidently in front of him and he keeps killing their mojo every game he starts. He’s terrible. This should no longer be a tandem. Koskinen is not fantastic, but he’s clearly better than Smith. Cut the crap and make him the clear starter.
    I don't think you can sell high on Kassian because everyone else knows that he's not going to produce at that pace either. I think you keep him to the end of his contract and slot someone else into that spot next season.

I don't agree that Smith has been terrible (I'd say maybe below average, and about where expected), and I don't think Koskinen is nearly as good as he's played this season so far. Honestly, it's likely that both guys end up closer to how Smith is currently playing by the end of the season (in that .910% sv, if not worse). Koskinen showed last season that he can't handle being given the clear starter role.

Oilers are likely still a bubble playoff team even after their good start. Both goalies will play worse than they have (Smith about the same perhaps) and McDavid and Draisaitl are not going to get 160 points each.

The Great One

Oh there are GMs our there who will buy high on Kassian. Guarantee it. One need only look at free agency over the last few years to see that GMs in this league are generally not smart. Smith is toast. If Tippett keeps playing him he’ll be well
    below replacement value/league average. Koskinen should be around league average. Tippett is a smart guy and he’ll figure it out.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

I truly hope Kassian is smart enough to realize that he's in a very good situation in Edmonton, who took a chance on him when many teams wouldn't have. Not saying he should sign for $1M or the league minimum, but as has already been mentioned, this team can't afford to overpay anyone. Kassian is a decent complimentary player, but his talents are more third line than first line and his compensation should be in line with that. Here's hoping that Edmonton can re-sign the big lug to a reasonable and fair contract.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I truly hope Kassian is smart enough to realize that he's in a very good situation in Edmonton, who took a chance on him when many teams wouldn't have. Not saying he should sign for $1M or the league minimum, but as has already been mentioned, this team can't afford to overpay anyone. Kassian is a decent complimentary player, but his talents are more third line than first line and his compensation should be in line with that. Here's hoping that Edmonton can re-sign the big lug to a reasonable and fair contract.
    Hopefully Kevin Labanc is not his agent

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Anyone out there still nervous about Dave Tippett's defensive style of coaching and holding back McDavid and Draisaitl's offense? Man, boys are on a tear.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Anyone out there still nervous about Dave Tippett's defensive style of coaching and holding back McDavid and Draisaitl's offense? Man, boys are on a tear.
    Let me cut the Oiler trolls off at the pass and say that the high TOI for Drai is getting worrisome. Over 4 minutes in OT and usually staying out for entire power plays. He plays more minutes than McDavid most nights. I don't want either of these guys getting burnt out before playoffs!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Let me cut the Oiler trolls off at the pass and say that the high TOI for Drai is getting worrisome. Over 4 minutes in OT and usually staying out for entire power plays. He plays more minutes than McDavid most nights. I don't want either of these guys getting burnt out before playoffs!
    Playoffs baby! It's not a pipe dream, at least not right now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Not everyone that opposes the Oilers is a troll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Playoffs baby! It's not a pipe dream, at least not right now.
    If your team is sitting pretty by american thanksgiving then history dictates that playoffs are an excellent bet!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Not everyone that opposes the Oilers is a troll
    But on these boards that line is frequently crossed.

Administrator

But on these boards that line is frequently crossed.
    So tragic...

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    So tragic...
    It is, try not let yourself get caught up in the angst