Page 263 of 370 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 273 313 363 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Yeah, weak first, but were great the next two periods. Who knows what this team is going to look like by the end of the season, but I'll take 5-0 and unsure, over 0-5 and totally sure they suck.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I have watched all 5 Oiler games this year. Am I the only one who thinks they have looked horrible all year? Our defense has been inadequate, our offence has been spotty, our goaltending has been super mediocre. We have been chasing all year. Everyone is going on about how awesome Neal looks; he has stumbled ass-backwards into a boatload of goals. Somehow, we are 5-0. I hope that we start playing better, or our record is going to catch up to how we are playing.

Rylant
    They've been the better team in 2/5 games by my eye. They boast bottom-10 shot-share metrics at 5-on-5, although they grade out better by xG. They are shooting 13% at evens, which will have to fall back, no matter how elite their top end, and they've received below-average goaltending. The SH% will fall back a bit, but the 5-on-5 stuff can be roughly sustainable provided the goaltending can remain at league average. Just tread water without McDavid on, and then clobber while he's off. Obviously they want to be better than that but that's not the roster they currently have. If McDavid's line can keep scoring 60% of the goals when he's out there (he's done it for a full season before) then they'll be in the playoff mix if no one else falls off.

Where the Oilers have made completely unsustainable headway is on special teams. No one has been better, with the 2nd best PP and PK at 41% and 94% respectively. There is a possibility they remain a top special teams outfit and linger in the top-5 for both but won't be at those extremes. They are probably out of yesterday's game if the Rangers don't clang iron a couple of times in the 1st period on their PP. If the Oilers can hang in the top-5/10 on both special teams that's another road map to playoff contention.

Anyways, despite the wins, I don't really see a whole lot of difference between the from the pre-season expectations. This still probably isn't a playoff team, but the path there is the same as you would have charted before the year: McDavid and Draisaitl crush at 5-on-5, the depth pieces play to roughly break-even, the new adds plus coaching help gain a special-teams advantage, the goaltending is good enough to give the team a chance.

I still don't trust this goaltending tandem. I like Smith but I don't trust his health to hold up. McDavid's still giving up too much of the shot-share at 5-on-5 for me to trust the early returns. Anything can happen with special teams in a small sample so we'll see if this is something they can sustain.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

That was an actual good game from the team tonight. Neal with his 9th on the year already. Jeez.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm just trying to enjoy the games and wins, hoping that they can keep racking up the points enough to secure a playoff spot. I'm really liking the way the team is playing.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yesterday was my 2nd full Oiler game to see. Small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt, but James Neal looks so much quicker this year compared to last year. SO much quicker. It's not even close. I don't know if it's because of him taking the offseason training more seriously, or getting to play with better linemates, but whatever it is, he sure looks good.
    Having said that, he is still a definite sell high.
    But no doubt in mind, the "real steal" is a legit thing. Ken Holland absolutely robbed Treliving in that trade.

The Great One

I see Bear on the box scores with alarming regularity- lol! Does this mean Persson is no longer a Persson of interest?

The Great One

Neal's shooting percentage is a ludicrous 33.3%, but happy to enjoy it while it lasts.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Great game last night, crappy end result. Mike Smith stood on his head was the main reason they came out of there with anything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

The team allowed very few even strength shots. Defensively they did well also. Just the same old lack of secondary scoring. Not sure what the plan is to fix it.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The team allowed very few even strength shots. Defensively they did well also. Just the same old lack of secondary scoring. Not sure what the plan is to fix it.
    Sam Gagner LOL!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I fully admit to being excited about the team (hopefully I'm not jinxing anything here). The team has started to play well defensively and they are getting decent goal-tending from both Smith and Koskinen. I don't know if either will last, but if it does, I think McDavid and Draiaistl will be able to carry the offense enough for us to win more than we lose.

It would be nice to get some secondary scoring, but that isn't going to happen with this roster and I don't see any major trades happening this season to fix that.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I see Bear on the box scores with alarming regularity- lol! Does this mean Persson is no longer a Persson of interest?
    Persson is injured. But with how EB is playing, he will stay in the lineup when Larsson is healthy.

How good are the oilers playing and how good is Tippets systems?

Brendon Manning has looked good in his few games of actions.
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    Persson is injured. But with how EB is playing, he will stay in the lineup when Larsson is healthy.

How good are the oilers playing and how good is Tippets systems?

Brendon Manning has looked good in his few games of actions.
    honestly, it is refreshing. I'm not downplaying the success of Vegas or Arizona, but we can use those teams as examples that teams can be successful with a bunch of lunch box players throughout the lineup.

As long as the Oilers work hard and stick to a system, they should be successful. And with two superstars in the lineup, Edmonton already has an advantage over many other teams.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I fully admit to being excited about the team (hopefully I'm not jinxing anything here). The team has started to play well defensively and they are getting decent goal-tending from both Smith and Koskinen. I don't know if either will last, but if it does, I think McDavid and Draiaistl will be able to carry the offense enough for us to win more than we lose.

It would be nice to get some secondary scoring, but that isn't going to happen with this roster and I don't see any major trades happening this season to fix that.
    McDavid looked exhausted to me last night. Not sure if anybody else got that sense.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    McDavid looked exhausted to me last night. Not sure if anybody else got that sense.

Rylant
    In the OT, yes, but he was out there for most of it.