Page 260 of 370 FirstFirst ... 160 210 250 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 270 310 360 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Smith is not a good puck handler.

Doing something a lot =/= doing something well.

Most of the time the passes he makes are poor decisions and detrimental to breakouts or possession.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Most of the time the passes he makes are poor decisions and detrimental to breakouts or possession.
    I'll take your word for it. I honestly did not watch a lot of Calgary games last year, and I know you follow the team closely.

There was a time, back to his days in Arizona, when Smith was certainly considered a good puck-handling goalie, and I assumed he still was.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Star

I have watched Smith play quite a bit over the last couple of years and I have always thought he was an exceptional puck mover.

Rylant

The Great One

Thats a contrarian statement and a half- hes widely regarded by coaches, peers, and anylists to be one of the best puckhandlers of his generation. if i wasnt so focused on my own fantasy teams id spend the afternoon digging up quotes- lmao!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I have watched Smith play quite a bit over the last couple of years and I have always thought he was an exceptional puck mover.

Rylant
    +1 would hypothetically not be enough characters to make a post- but I would second this statement...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eleasha View Post
    I believe they are giving Nygard the first chance on that line. He had a fantastic preseason, but I have also heard he is quite the hot head and has been working on this. If he falters watch for Jurco to step up.
    velly velly interesting. Had no idea about the hot head part. will be interesting to watch the season unfold.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    velly velly interesting. Had no idea about the hot head part. will be interesting to watch the season unfold.
    Also if he was on the Top Line in the first game he only was on the ice for 9:23.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

His physical ability is good.

His decision making is abhorrent.

He's easily a net detriment in that department. Oilers fans will understand by the end of the season.

Dobber Sports Deity

His physical ability is good.

His decision making is abhorrent.

He's easily a net detriment in that department. Oilers fans will understand by the end of the season.
    I don't disagree that from time to time, his decision making could be questioned, but the amount of time he makes a good puck handling decision far out weighs the bone head ones. He adds an element to the Oilers they haven't had in years and if he can help out the D in their end by saving them from coming deep to chase down a puck, it's a win as long as he doesn't give it away.

I disagree with the statement of him being a net detriment. I think the positive outweighs the negatives in his puck handling.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Yea. We’ll see if you hold that opinion at the end of the season. Betting money is you will not.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lagesson getting the call to fill the roster hole left by Larsson.

https://twitter.com/Condors/status/1...898498049?s=19

Headed up the ladder! William Lagesson is headed to Edmonton with Ethan Bear.

@EvanBouchard02 has been reassigned to #Condorstown. https://t.co/hg6BdWlx6U

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

I think that the one thing that a puck moving goalie brings to the table which is often over looked, is the hits that your defensemen would normally take that are now going to be avoided. That has the potential to be huge. Even if he does make a questionable move, he is saving a lot of wear and tear on your defense. I agree with Axe on this one; I think that the positive will outweigh the negative.

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I think that the one thing that a puck moving goalie brings to the table which is often over looked, is the hits that your defensemen would normally take that are now going to be avoided. That has the potential to be huge. Even if he does make a questionable move, he is saving a lot of wear and tear on your defense. I agree with Axe on this one; I think that the positive will outweigh the negative.

Rylant
    That's largely anecdotal, as the data doesn't back it up.

https://theathletic.com/804879/2019/...ing-abilities/

In terms of my argument, this article certainly doesn't help me (although it also might not hurt me) but there is no tangible data that can demonstrate Moke Smoth's puck handling impacts the amount of hits a defenseman takes (which, if it's more than just a narrative, there should be).

The Great One

Again, the fact that this is a guy who got Flames bounced in the first round and wasn’t asked back tells you all you need to know about how this is going to go. And now they’re down an NHL D man and a minute eater at that.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Again, the fact that this is a guy who got Flames bounced in the first round and wasn’t asked back tells you all you need to know about how this is going to go. And now they’re down an NHL D man and a minute eater at that.
    Don't you think some of that credit should be given to the Colorado offense(Landeskog, Rantanen, and Mackinnon and how they shred through the D? Also the fact that Johnny hockey scored 1 point in the series. Can we put some of that on him as well?
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    This statement is so wrong. His play in the playoffs isn't why he didn't return to the Flames or the reason they lost in the first round. If anything, his playoff play was stated as the best of the year. This isn't my opinion, but FlamesNation noted this.

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/04/22/m...by-cap-crunch/