Page 221 of 370 FirstFirst ... 121 171 211 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 231 271 321 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm glad I didn't watch the game yesterday from what I'm hearing. Ugh. Coming out flat off the Christmas break.
    Very flat. Hardly any effort to speak of.

Winnipeg, on the other hand, is firing on all cylinders. Now they are getting stable goal-tending they look to have no holes in their game. And this with Buf and Schiefele out.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'm pretty sure Edmonton ends up winning the Dahlin lottery now.
    Oh dear God, if that ever happens, the collective aneurysm from the haters may actually cause a rift the hockey universe. It would be awesome, hilarious and sad all at the same time.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Oh dear God, if that ever happens, the collective aneurysm from the haters may actually cause a rift the hockey universe. It would be awesome, hilarious and sad all at the same time.
    I think the Oilers have a better chance of making the playoffs then winning the lottery if they dont, but damn I'd be dancing if they won it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

The PK is simply depressing. That is all.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Time to sell.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    how could you still label them "haters" if the Oilers won the lottery again? even the biggest Oilers homer can't justify winning the draft lottery with generational superstar McDavid on their team right?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Oilers got 37 in 39 games. So they need about 60 points in the next 43 games. 30 wins in 43 games. The league is way too tight for that. Not to mention all the teams they have e to leap frog.
    As Dellow has pointed out, this is kind've a logical fallacy. With the way the schedule works out, playing so frequently in conference and in division, if you take care of the 30 wins, the leap frogging teams takes care of itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    how could you still label them "haters" if the Oilers won the lottery again? even the biggest Oilers homer can't justify winning the draft lottery with generational superstar McDavid on their team right?
    Didn't you know any manner of negative commentary makes you a "hater"?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Yea I know, I'm just surprised that term is still being thrown around given it's becoming clearer that the "haters" were right about Chiarelli destroying the team. I suppose the leftovers won't admit it until Chiarelli is inevitably fired. Missing the playoffs this season could be a blessing in disguise if it ends his era in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    Yea I know, I'm just surprised that term is still being thrown around given it's becoming clearer that the "haters" were right about Chiarelli destroying the team. I suppose the leftovers won't admit it until Chiarelli is inevitably fired. Missing the playoffs this season could be a blessing in disguise if it ends his era in Edmonton.
    The logical assumption is the "non-haters" still think Chiarelli has done an awesome job and is da gawd.

Dobber Sports Deity

As Dellow has pointed out, this is kind've a logical fallacy. With the way the schedule works out, playing so frequently in conference and in division, if you take care of the 30 wins, the leap frogging teams takes care of itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Then maybe bring something positive to an Oiler discussion for a change. You only chime in when you have something negative to say.

Tell me, if you're Bob Nicholson and you fire Chiarelli tomorrow, who would you recommend he bring in to make these decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Then maybe bring something positive to an Oiler discussion for a change. You only chime in when you have something negative to say.

Tell me, if you're Bob Nicholson and you fire Chiarelli tomorrow, who would you recommend he bring in to make these decisions?
    I said the Jokinen signing was good. That's positive.

I wouldn't have hired Chiarelli in the first place, at least not with a strict capologist with real say in decisions. Who would I hire to replace him? Probably not a retread hockey guy who's part of the old boys club. I'd take a gamble that previously playing the game of hockey doesn't miraculously make you the most qualified person to make personnel and business decisions. I'd ideally setup a structure similar to Toronto where you have multiple people with multiple background having close to equal say in decisions.

Dobber Sports Deity

Believe me, hiring Chiarelli was not an old boys hiring. That's one reason Oilers fans were happy about it. They finally brought in someone who wasn't an old boy.

Interesting thought on the multiple brain trust type of guys.

Chiarelli has been a GM since 2006. That's not part of the Edmonton "old boys club" but it is part of the NHL "old boys club".

Dobber Sports Superstar

Super frustrating game yesterday, Oilers play ok go down 1-0 and then take a 5 minute major, pretty much knew it was done at that point.

The Oilers need to do something to improve the PK, it was bad last year and is historically/atrociously/astronomically bad this year. The frustrating part is that their 5v5 play has actually been quite respectable (they are +5 5v5) but they are -20! on Special Teams (or -16 if you include SHG which the Oilers somehow lead the league in).

I have no idea what the fix is, the only key personnel difference is Matt Hendricks and while he was a fine bottom-6 checker he is not a game changer. I could see a missed playoffs and bottom-5 finish costing McLellan his job (still has 2 additional seasons at $3mil per left) just because something has to change. I would like to say it is as simple as hiring some outside PK expert but I do not know if that exists, if he does he needs to be paid big money to give an outsiders eyes to the god awful PK and rebuild it from the ground up with whatever he thinks will work.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Chiarelli has been a GM since 2006. That's not part of the Edmonton "old boys club" but it is part of the NHL "old boys club".
    Also known as experienced and not a rookie GM.

Oilers fans were happy not to see another hiring of the Oilers old boys club for a change.