Page 154 of 370 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 164 204 254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

I initially suggested Ekman-Larsson as well, but how has he been this season? His stats are brutal (like ... barely better than Schultz), but I know that doesn't tell the whole story.

Schultz 2-9-11 (-10) - 3 PPP
    Ekman-Larsson 6-8-14 (-14) - 8 PPP

The Great One

Ekman-Larsson is the best player in the NHL no one has heard of. Honestly, he is so incredibly good it is just scary.

I know his stats are horrible (I own him in the league in my sig), but Phoenix is almost as bad as Edmonton and he is likely the main reason their record doesn't show that.

On that team, Yandle gets all the easy minutes (and nice looking stats because of it), while OEL plays against the other team's best players and kills penalties. He does get some PP time, but that team has no one up front who can score on the PP. For the most part, he is only getting points on the PP because the rest of the time he is too busy being the only decent player on the team and trying to stop every team from destroying them the way the Oilers get destroyed most every game.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

Okay, that's sort of been my hunch on this as well. It's just interesting to me when you look at the stats that he's getting pummelled this year. Just one of those times where the stats are really deceiving.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Okay, that's sort of been my hunch on this as well. It's just interesting to me when you look at the stats that he's getting pummelled this year. Just one of those times where the stats are really deceiving.
    He can only do so much. If you look at the team stats, Arizona and Edmonton are extremely close. Honestly, the only reason Arizona has marginally fewer wins is because of Ekman-Larsson. If Edmonton (a far better team on paper) had a player like OEL on defense, they would almost immediately become a .500 club. You get a player like him, plus a decent 2C, and suddenly they are a playoff-contending team.

Anyway, one step at a time.

That said, OEL isn't going anywhere, but I can at least dream.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Fair enough. I know Benn has played center in the past. Regardless, my point is the same. Unless they can get a top line center, I don't want them to make the deal.

I'd also be happy with a top pairing dman like Ekman-Larsson, Pietrangelo, Weber, etc., but those are even harder to acquire via trade, so I'm not even going there.

Anyway, most people would say that Hall isn't worth a top-line center, and I can sort of understand that (given the importance of centers), but my only point is that the Oilers would be crazy to accept anything less. If they deal Hall for a bunch of smaller pieces, I will seriously quit being a fan of the team.
    I understand and agree with my logic. My thinking is that Edmonton has a much better chance at acquiring a potential top line center than an actual top line center. Like Dallas did with Seguin.

So the deal I have proposed in other threads is 1 of Schenn/Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn, Philly's 1st for Hall and Perron. We can argue for forever whether or not it is a good deal, but here is the rational behind it.

I think Sean Couturier can be at least a 1B centerman in the NHL. He is vastly underratedly good. I at least think Couturier and RNH could form a similar tandem to Monahan/Bennett, comparing to a situation close to home, and Couturier is a great checking forward for when Draisatl is ready.

I think if you get Schenn, he can be your 3C to Calgary's Mikael Backlund, or he can play wing. Either way, Schenn or Simmonds brings some size and grit.

I know that Brayden Coburn isn't a 1/2 dman which Edmonton needs, but I think he is a really solid 3/4, and a better player than most of what is on Edmonton's backend right now.

Lastly, I think Philly will be picking in the top 10 this season in a very strong draft which is going to give Edmonton a solid player.

Apologize for the Calgary comparisons, it's just a "close to home" situation to draw parallel's too. I understand it's maybe an underwhelming draw for what you think Taylor Hall should get, but teams rarely trade #1 centers who are already playing at a #1 center level (remember Seguin was basically playing third line RW), and even if a team wanted too most of those guys have NTC and it would be a hard sell to get them to waive to go to Edmonton.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not an Edmonton homer and I'm definitely not a Philly fan. Obviously Edmonton is losing the best player in the deal, but I don't necessarily think the deal makes their team worse, I actually think it has real potential to make their team better. Similar to what Columbus got for Nash, this would fill a lot of lineup holes in Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If those assessmenets of those players are accurate then I think it's the start of something.

I think the disagreement there is in what those Flyer players actually bring.

Couturier I am a big fan of, but he seems to be a guy that would thrive on a team where he is the #2 behind a stud centerman. Maybe Nugent-Hopkins can be that guy, but the jury is out still. However, I do think he's the type of guy the Oilers should shoot for.

The problem is Coburn is a huge liability out there at times, and the Oilers as they stand right now can't afford more of that. Simmonds would be an excellent addition for sure. I want no part of Schenn. Really overrated in my books.

So then if you've got Simmonds + Couturier is that enough for Hall? I don't think so, but only because the Oilers still have not solved their defense issues.

Look who they are running out there in tonight's game.

Andrew Ference - Jeff Petry
    Keith Aulie - Mark Fayne
    Brandon Davidson - Justin Schultz

Fayne is the only real top 4 defenseman in that lineup. They need some real high end guys to make some headway in my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're right and a small upgrade on the blueline would work (and hoping guys like Nurse/Klefbom take another step), along with bringing in a defensively sound centerman like Couturier and a bigger winger who actually gives a crap like Simmonds.

The Great One

I don't mind Simmonds (in fact, I think he would be a great addition to the Oilers). He provides some grit they don't really have right now.

I also don't mind Couturier, for what he brings. He is a solid 2C.

And the pick could also be valuable.

Coburn I don't like, but I admit he would still be better than most of our current dmen.

On the surface, I know that deal sounds good, but none of that is a guarantee and it could end up being just as bad for the Oilers as the Seguin deal was for Boston. At the time of that deal, Eriksson was considered a young, big, defensively-responsible forward with a history of putting up around 30 goals and 70 pts.

Think about it...at the time, Eriksson was more proven than Couturier and Simmonds and alternatively Seguin had not done anything.

Fast forward two years, and Boston got majorly screwed in that deal.

Boston has the depth to recover from a bad trade like that one. Edmonton does not, so they MUST get a proven player and not "potential" if they deal Hall. They've had nothing but "potential" on their roster for years. If they decide to trade their best player, they better go for the sure-thing (which is why I'm almost certain Hall won't be traded, because no team is going to give up what the Oilers need).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not big on Coburn at all and don't see him as much of an upgrade at all, and that says a lot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Those are fair points. What we can agree on is that I don't think any team is going to give Edmonton the "proven" assets. If that results in the Oilers not trading Hall, than I agree, he isn't going anywhere. Since we've decided on no Schenn (I'm not a fan of him either), would it be a more tempting offer if it was:

Simmonds, Couturier, one of (maybe two of) Gostisbehere/Morin/Sanheim, 2015 1st Round Pick

for

Hall, Perron

be a more fair/desirable offer?

The reason I look at Philly as an option compared to other teams is 1) because of their propensity to be willing to make big deals like that and 2) they have "non-established" assets that potentially fill an Oilers need.

For example, San Jose has the assets, but I doubt their trading Couture, Thornton wouldn't waive, and I don't think Pavelski is the guy they need (at least not for Hall, if it was Eberle that's a different story)

Alternatively, another idea could be like. Shea Theodore and John Gibson from Anaheim, but again that's still just "potential"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oilers are playing one of the worst teams in the league tonight.
    The first game after their coach was fired.
    At home.
    Just had 27 shots on goal against them in the 2nd period.

That's only 6 shy of the NHL record.

So glad they get to see right away that it's not just coaching.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So glad they get to see right away that it's not just coaching.
    Assuming they are capable of comprehension. Big, BIG, assumption.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Assuming they are capable of comprehension. Big, BIG, assumption.
    Very fair point.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Very fair point.
    I'm thinking a new documentary here would be awesome. Have cameras following the Oilers front office around and catch the moment of realization, should it happen. I bet their heads explode like over-ripe watermelons when it finally occurs to them it really is their fault.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So basically like horrorfan's avatar!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Exactly. And with sound effects too. Oooh!!! Ahhhh!!!