Page 142 of 370 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

There was a lot of questions being asked about the decision to cut Martin Marincin at the start if the season. With Oilers D tightening up considerably over the last couple of games with him back up, I'm wondering how much he's had to do with it. I watched the first couple of games and it was clear to see that Nurse needs more seasoning but I haven't watched since Marincin has drawn back in. How has the kid looked so far and how much influence has he had over these seemingly better defensive team performances recently?

Administrator

Petry plays more than anyone, team plays a competitive game. Correlation does not always equal causation but in this case I'm saying it does. Also, back-checking!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    There was a lot of questions being asked about the decision to cut Martin Marincin at the start if the season. With Oilers D tightening up considerably over the last couple of games with him back up, I'm wondering how much he's had to do with it. I watched the first couple of games and it was clear to see that Nurse needs more seasoning but I haven't watched since Marincin has drawn back in. How has the kid looked so far and how much influence has he had over these seemingly better defensive team performances recently?
    Petry and Marincin were the Oilers best D the second half of last season, easily. His demotion to start the season was just another head scratching move by this organization. I am not saying their 1st win last night was simply because Marincin was recalled recently, but for a young kid, he seems to bring a lot of stability to that back end.

Now just wait for them to trade Petry.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Marincin looked great last night. Him and Fayne (who was also really strong) really did a great job of shutting down the offense from Tampa Bay.

Petry is an enigma to me. Makes great passes and has an overall strong game, but really does some boneheaded stuff defensively once or twice a game. He seems destined to be traded and I imagine it will be yet another Oiler mistake.

Dobber Sports Deity

The only way I see Edmonton not losing on a Petry trade is if they get back a quality center in return. Even then, it will still be questioned.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

even cherry says oilers need to trade one of their top fwds not named yakupoop.

looks like it might happen if the big guy says it

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well if he says it then the Oilers should probably stand pat.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I would usually agree with this theory but seriously, why haven't they made this deal yet? What do they want, another 1st over all pick? Then what, more puck handlers? There is still only 1 puck in a game. I can't believe they didn't make this trade last year. I guess it must be harder than we think to make a deal like that but the number of takers must be quite large.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I would usually agree with this theory but seriously, why haven't they made this deal yet? What do they want, another 1st over all pick? Then what, more puck handlers? There is still only 1 puck in a game. I can't believe they didn't make this trade last year. I guess it must be harder than we think to make a deal like that but the number of takers must be quite large.
    Why haven't they made what deal.....?

The Great One

Even though it is obvious to everyone that the Oilers need to shake things up, they can't just make a deal for the sake of making a deal. For all we know, the offers they have been getting so far have been horrible. The entire league knows the Oilers are desperate.

There are so many factors at play here, not to mention that any player coming back to the Oilers must "want" to be an Oiler. There is a reason the team can't attract quality free agents, so it doesn't make sense to give up someone like Eberle (who wants to be an Oiler) for someone who will not sign long-term or will otherwise be unhappy in Edmonton.

You can call the Oilers many things, but disloyal isn't one of them. Eberle, Hall, and RNH have all signed long-term and showed a commitment to the team. Because of that, I doubt any of them are dealt.

Yakupov is a popular name to throw out in trade rumors, but will any team give up a lot to get him? Probably not, considering the mediocre start to his career. (Although he has been among the best Oilers in limited minutes this season).

Petry is a player that no one wants the Oilers to deal, but I think he is the only logical piece to be moved simply because neither player nor team has committed to each other and you don't want Petry walking away for nothing at the end of the season, and it isn't like we need to keep him for a playoff run. That said, despite how underrated he may be, what team will give up anything special for a pending UFA?

I'm getting as fed up as most other Oiler fans, but I don't see the team getting bailed out by some "silver-bullet" trade.

If I were the GM, I'm not sure what I'd do differently. They've made some smaller deals, drafted some decent (to star) players, the prospect pool is decent (especially on defense), they've tried to upgrade the goal-tending, they've brought in some veteran Free Agents, and they've burned through numerous coaches. I can't say I love all the moves, but considering we don't know what other options were available to them (and I suspect there weren't many), I think they've done ok.

I know it is easy to blame management, but at some point it is up to the players to step up and produce. Other than Hall, no Oiler has come close to reaching his potential, and that is the real problem with the team.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

Petry has a one year deal and will likely get traded for peanuts. That one is management's fault in my opinion, but who knows. Maybe Petry refused to sign anything longer than 1 year so he can go play in Detroit.

I think the biggest mistakes MacT has made are:

A) Promising bold moves

B) Planning to rely on Fasth/Scrivens as a tandem.

I own Hiller and I'm still not a huge fan of his overall talent. But he is much better than Scrivens/Fasth, and if he would sign in Calgary he would sign in Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think the biggest mistakes MacT has made are:

A) Promising bold moves

B) Planning to rely on Fasth/Scrivens as a tandem.

I own Hiller and I'm still not a huge fan of his overall talent. But he is much better than Scrivens/Fasth, and if he would sign in Calgary he would sign in Edmonton.
    He's turned over almost the entire roster, but he just didn't trade away the young guns. I think the problems were with expectations and not delivery.

As for goaltending, we'll see. Scrivens has been much better the last couple games and Fasth was fine until injured.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Why haven't they made what deal.....?
    Trading one of RNH, Eberle, Yakupov or Hall to fix some of their flaws. Personally, I would trade Yakupov or Eberle, but the longer they wait, the more damage is being done to these players' value and the less they will get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Trading one of RNH, Eberle, Yakupov or Hall to fix some of their flaws. Personally, I would trade Yakupov or Eberle, but the longer they wait, the more damage is being done to these players' value and the less they will get in return.
    It's somewhat maybe kind've harder to make a trade like that past "well we better do it".