Page 359 of 370 FirstFirst ... 259 309 349 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 369 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,385 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Toughest opponent will be the reffing and goaltending (not talent, but typical question marks for a team without a top 5 guy).

They have strong 5on5 numbers, but that's off the backs of their lethal PP. Teams open up 5on5 when they get penalized. If you don't get penalized, then they tighten up 5on5. I have always been a believer in the reffing should not change in the playoffs from the regular season. If you make it to the playoffs because you destroy teams when they cheat and get caught, that should be there for you in the playoffs.

They can take on anyone, but someone that might be able to drag them down to their opponents level is the reffing.
    Goaltending hasn't been an issue for Edmonton for months now. I dont see that changing but who knows. Even Campbell has played much better since the trade deadline.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Goaltending hasn't been an issue for Edmonton for months now. I dont see that changing but who knows. Even Campbell has played much better since the trade deadline.
    Goaltending is the problem with a majority of the teams in the playoffs to me. Unless you have the top guys. I guess if everyone has it, is it a problem? hmmm.

I agree with you, both goalies have done well enough to not be 5 alarm worried about them.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Goaltending is the problem with a majority of the teams in the playoffs to me. Unless you have the top guys. I guess if everyone has it, is it a problem? hmmm.

I agree with you, both goalies have done well enough to not be 5 alarm worried about them.
    Skinner is in the Calder conversation for a reason.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Skinner is in the Calder conversation for a reason.
    Skinner even managed to break Grant Fuhr's rookie goalie win record...

Dobber Sports Titan

Stuart Skinner Since Jan1st:
    27GP, 17-5-4 (must have a no record on 1 game), 2.72GAA, .910s%

Stuart Skinner Since Mar1st:
    16GP, 14-1-1, 2.43GAA, .918s%

Jack Campbell Since Jan1st:
    20GP, 13-2-3 (must have a no record on 2 games), 3.00GAA, 0.899s%

Jack Campbell Since Mar1st:
    5GP, 4-1-0, 2.97GAA, 0.910s%

Skinner since April though has been lights out. And in his 27GP in 2023, there's only been like 5 not good games, but 12ish games with a sub 900s%. Should be interesting what happens in the playoffs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, absolutely anything can happen in the playoffs for sure. Any team can beat another one.

I'm planning on just hanging out with my son to cheer them on and hope he can finally see a Cup from this team this season. They at least have a puncher's chance at it, and that has not been the case very often in decades.

Administrator

The last couple months have been a fun ride for sure, but needs a long playoff run to pay it off, similar to last season's switch getting flipped with the arrival of Kane and the coaching change. This year was about getting healthier and then the addition of Ekholm putting every defenseman on the roster into their proper roles (plus a much easier finishing schedule). The expectation should be winning a playoff round with a very good chance in any round the rest of the way. Losing in R1 to the Kings (very possible) would feel like a let down given the strides that were made. Still, it's clear that this team is in their window to win and actually has a roster that could do it.

My concerns are injury (there is little margin for losing a defenseman), goaltending (Skinner is still a rookie and despite the last month Campbell cannot be allowed to touch the ice) and officiating (the Kings are going to try to employ the "they can't call them all" strategy that was successful for Winnipeg two years ago and that they nearly pulled off themselves last year).
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Derek Ryan extended:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/rele...on/c-344850678

And I'm fine with this!

Dobber Sports Deity

Love it. 900k so if it falls flat (I don't see it happening), he can be sent to the minors with no cap implications.

He's not the biggest, strongest, fastest player but I'd argue he's one of the smartest.

The Great One

Great signing for sure.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Great fit for the bottom of the lineup.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Superstar

No complaints on the Ryan signing.
    The Oilers have lost to the eventual Cup Champion two years in a row, and had a lead over Vegas in 4/6 games, .
    With a little bit of puck luck, or better goaltending the Vegas series goes the other way, they are really close to a Cup.

The last thing they need to do is make major changes for the sake of change.
    Try and improve the D-core if they can, hope goaltending improves thru maturity (Skinner) and 2nd year with the team (Campbell) and then look to make a reasonable add at the deadline.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Kind of unrelated, but related, Bell media suddenly shut down (in Edmonton) Team 1260 sports talk radio among other stations country wide:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/06/...adio-stations/

Prime source for most of my daily Oiler news/talk! Bit of a shocker but I shouldn't be surprised considering is "traditional" AM radio

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Kind of unrelated, but related, Bell media suddenly shut down (in Edmonton) Team 1260 sports talk radio among other stations country wide:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/06/...adio-stations/

Prime source for most of my daily Oiler news/talk! Bit of a shocker but I shouldn't be surprised considering is "traditional" AM radio
    Sad news for Edmonton sports fans. 1260 was the only full time sports talk station in the City, had some good content and a decent following.
    I enjoyed their morning show and Jason Gregor's afternoon show, had been listening since before it was a a TSN branded station and was just "the Team" back in the 90s.

1300 jobs lost across Canada as well, tough pill for all those employees.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Sad news for Edmonton sports fans. 1260 was the only full time sports talk station in the City, had some good content and a decent following.
    I enjoyed their morning show and Jason Gregor's afternoon show, had been listening since before it was a a TSN branded station and was just "the Team" back in the 90s.

1300 jobs lost across Canada as well, tough pill for all those employees.
    These cuts are becoming more and more common for Bell in recent years. Not just sports but some major names on the news side of the house are unemployed today as well.

It's not going to get better for companies like Bell and Rogers Television as more and more cut the cord and stream their television product. These companies have made serious coin for years overcharging customers for their mediocre product. The CRTC is also saving these companies on the mobile and internet side by blocking competition coming into Canada, offering customers cheaper, more affordable products.

Anyone who's traveled to Europe knows just how much we are getting overcharged for our mobile data. Its gross. Unfortunately, we've got no better options than to pay ridiculous prices for these services.