Page 285 of 370 FirstFirst ... 185 235 275 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 295 335 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Word is with Jujhar, they are showcasing for a trade...

Which I always find silly because if you're a pro scout you should know exactly what each player brings, without needing a few recent games for the eye test, barring to monitor rehab from an injury.... There's pleeeeenty of tape on these guys.
    Exactly. And, if you want to showcase him for a trade, dont play him on the 4th line. He's just not very good.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

C'est ça. Honestly, I don't know what the EDM franchise is doing. I said the same about the Habs every single year but this realignment seems to suit them so far... It's gonna be a long season though... They really do look terrible defensively. How much personnel can you change...?
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

They are really missing Klefbom. Like it or not, he was our best dman and our defense is even worse without him (shocking, I know). In the games I've watched, Bear and Nurse are not playing as well as they did (at times) last year, and Barrie really can't play defense. It is really embarrassing and on most nights our only hope to win is if we can score 4+ goals.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Initiate

I mean it's Bouchard time isn't, you don't have anything to lose at that point. Barrie is a orange cone, Larsson is not the same, Nurse and Bear are not bad, and the rest are just not playing well enough to stop the other team to score. This is getting ridiculous !
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    I mean it's Bouchard time isn't, you don't have anything to lose at that point. Barrie is a orange cone, Larsson is not the same, Nurse and Bear are not bad, and the rest are just not playing well enough to stop the other team to score. This is getting ridiculous !
    I think this is their biggest issue; Nurse and Bear ARE bad. They are really bad defensively but who else are you throwing out there. Their best D so far has been Koekkoek and Tippett healthy scratched him last night.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Nurse is playing the best hockey of his career right now. He still makes some bad reads but he's getting better. He's definitely not a #1 dman though and should not be playing 29 minutes in a 3 period game. Bear looks a little off right now. It's hopefully because he's not game ready yet as he signed his contract late.

I think the two biggest problems with the Oilers right now are

1: (the one everyone knows) They do not defend well. They don't make good reads defensively. They don't win battles in the d-zone. The don't go to the correct position a lot of times. This is something that should be getting better with good coaching but it has not improved enough (if at all).

2: (the one that I have not heard anyone else talk about) The Oilers have a terrible breakout/transition game. The only time their breakouts/transitions work is when they decide to give the puck to McDavid or Draisaitl and he carries the puck out of the d zone and into the attacking zone. That's it. Nothing else works. This is likely due to some combination of dmen who can't move the puck very well, forwards who don't come back deep enough and having McDavid and Draisaitl on the team.

The Great One

3. Goaltending.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

I should watch more Oilers games, the scores typically depict an exciting game. (Not always in the Oilers favour but...)

I get the feeling from comments in these forums that Nurse has a bit of a Ristolainen vibe to his game. Big, physical player who gets plenty of minutes by default because the options are limited and actually isn't that great at playing what his primary responsibility is?

Just asking because real production and fantasy pools can be sooooo different and he's awesome in my pool.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    3. Goaltending.
    You're not wrong. Koskinen can make some excellent saves, and then let in a goal that somehow finds a hole it just shouldn't. Those are the ones that take the air out of a team. Those goals that have no business going in, but seem to find a way. I mean, it's not just Koskinen that this happens to, but it does seem to happen to him a lot.

The Great One

Yeah - I feel bad for the players and their fans - Koskinen is so frustrating. It’s tough that Holland was not able to upgrade during the offseason. Maybe he’ll come up with something to address it.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Yeah - I feel bad for the players and their fans - Koskinen is so frustrating. It’s tough that Holland was not able to upgrade during the offseason. Maybe he’ll come up with something to address it.
    Well it wasnt for a lack of trying, on the Markstrom front. They will have more cap space this upcoming off-season so hopefully they can work towards something.

Dobber Sports Pro

I thought Barrie was supposed to solve the breakout issue.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I thought Barrie was supposed to solve the breakout issue.
    It's so odd that his play just fell off the map. He was so good in Colorado and hasn't been able to find his groove since. The signing made a lot of sense. So far it not's looking great. How would Dunn look in Edmonton? I would think they could figure something out...
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Administrator

You can see the lack of familiarity and practice time with Barrie, just from how poorly the PP has gone with him on the ice. Swap him for Nurse in the last game and suddenly things are clicking. Passes aren't going into the feet, they are going to the blade so the play can be made.

Another thing on Barrie. When he has looked his best, he's always received a big offensive zone push, up over 60% of his zone starts. This year, he's at 46%. Some of that comes from the Oilers simply being a team that has been chasing the game more than previous teams Barrie has been on, but some of that is a conscious coaching decision.

They've struggled to find the right partner for Barrie, but most often he's been paired with Russell, which means more defensive zone starts, because playing Russell with the top-6 has horribly negative effects, and the Oilers provide a huge push for their top-6 to start in the o-zone. Basically, Russell is so poorly skilled, and concedes the defensively blue line like no other, so you can't start him in the o-zone, it's just asking the puck to come back the other way, often to detrimental effects. But he does a better job than most of the Oilers defensemen when the puck is in the D-Zone, so you have to live with it. Kind of feels like they're scuttling Barrie to optimize Russell, because some of the other experiments have gone so poorly. Russell wasn't supposed to play this much, but Jones has struggled, so here we are.

As for him helping the breakout, I'm not sure what he's being asked to do, but Russell treats the puck like a grenade. These guys SHOULD have the mobility and skill to get the puck and calm things down to execute a breakout, but I'm not sure there's enough talent in the bottom-6 for it to work no matter what they do. Even if they just had some straight line speed guys they could maybe do the chip and chase thing.

On Koskinen, the dude is a legit goalie. He just shouldn't be playing so much. But this season he's been legit. The Oilers defensive zone coverage is just such a circus show it hasn't mattered. Koskinen routinely saves their bacon double-digit times a game. Normally, what ends up happening when Koskinen plays this much, he starts breaking down and letting in back breakers. I haven't seen that as much, but he's under so much fire, the goal volume has been there anyway. The failure to find a backup better than Smith was Holland's greatest sin. But the next greatest was mostly failing in his attempts to rebuild the bottom-6, which has been a drain on the Oilers' incredible top-6. Whatever wonders McDavid and Draisaitl are providing, the bottom-6 is giving back even more.

I refuse to hang Koskinen for the start to the season. He shouldn't be playing this much, and I defy someone to do better with the shitty defense played in front of him.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bob Stauffer@Bob_Stauffer

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
    Neal-Turris-Kassian
    Nygard-Shore-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
    Jones-Larsson
    Koekkoek-Barrie