Page 346 of 370 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 356 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    How "successful" is the Oiler's season considered if we bow out quickly to the Flames?

I like a lot of what I am seeing, but something needs to improve. Defensively, we get beaten so often leads to scoring chances. Keith, Barrie, Bouchard, Russell are all guilty of giving up chances. Top this off with suspect goaltending... I am not sure Skinner is the answer.

Rylant
    Unless they win the Stanley Cup (which I highly doubt) there will always be room for improvement no matter where they bow out in the playoffs. Unfortunately only one team wins the Stanley Cup and the Oilers are not there at this point, at least not in my opinion. I'd love for them to prove me wrong. Their depth scoring, which has been a sore spot for years, if finally getting there. Their D is still suspect and the goaltending still doesn't have a long term answer that can be found soon. I agree that I am not sold on Skinner being the answer either.

Up front, there's some expiring contracts that will need to be dealt with. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto both need new deals. Same for Ryan McLeod. The biggest question mark is do they bring back Evander Kane. Personally, I'd have no issues if Holland moved on from Yamamoto and found a buyer for him and get back another asset. I just don't see the upside in his game anymore. Zach Kassian still has two more years left on that crappy contract ($3.2M) so a buyout wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen here, but I doubt it seeing as Neal's buyout is there for a few more years and this is the last year for Sekera's buyout on the books. Dylan Holloway could be ready for fulltime duty next year. He had a good first pro season in the AHL, showing glimpses of whats to come. I'd have no issues putting him in the top six and taking Yamamoto out.

I think Holland goes out and gets a better goalie to pair up with Smith for next year and Skinner once again bounces back and forth between the NHL and AHL depending on injuries. Once Smith's contract expires at the end of next season, Skinner is a full time NHL goalie in Edmonton and paired with who ever Holland decides to sign or trade for this off-season. With Koskinen's contract coming off the books, Holland should be able to go out and get a quality NHL starter, I hope, although Nurse's new deal with probably eat some of that money.

As far as the D goes, they have some holes to fill with Nurse, Barrie, Ceci, Duncan Keith (last year of his contract) and Bouchard already signed so the right side is pretty much signed but the left side needs work. I will say I did like what I saw of Kulak and I do hope they bring him back on a reasonable ($2M-ish) contract. Broberg might be ready to make the next step into a smaller role in the NHL as he learns the speed. Same for Samorukov.

There's always room for improvement. Hard to say what deals Holland might make this off-season. For now, lets keep enjoying the fact they are still playing and doing what they can with what they have.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks Axe. Love the analysis and agree with you.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    How "successful" is the Oiler's season considered if we bow out quickly to the Flames?

I like a lot of what I am seeing, but something needs to improve. Defensively, we get beaten so often leads to scoring chances. Keith, Barrie, Bouchard, Russell are all guilty of giving up chances. Top this off with suspect goaltending... I am not sure Skinner is the answer.

Rylant
    Why bother trying to give a post mortem on something that hasn't happened yet? We'll have all summer to kick at this dead horse...

The Great One

Unless they win the cup…
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Master

I could see the isles interested in Yamamoto if the Oilers want to move on from him .

you think he takes the oilers to arbitration ?

Dobber Sports Pro

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Honestly, I'd prefer they move Puljujarvi rather than Yamamoto. I really haven't been impressed with Puljujarvi, as he makes a lot of bad decisions, and his shot just sucks. How many times did he miss the net on perfect setups in the slot. Yamamoto fills a need of a feisty 3rd liner. They could also get a lot more for Puljujarvi then they could with Yam.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Puljujarvi does so many things well. I love so much about his game. Unfortunately he just can't get it done offensively, so I would be fine moving on.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think moving in is exactly what Pulj needs
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Administrator

With Puljujarvi it comes down to price point, and unfortunately they don't have much wiggle room with either his years of team control remaining nor their cap space.

In a perfect world, Puljujarvi's offensive skills would catch up and he could replace what they are getting out of Kane, so that they don't have to commit term and dollars to the latter, who seems to wear out his welcome rather quickly, has UFA leverage to attract a grander contract and is at an age where such a proposal is terrifying.

Unfortunately, I don't know that Puljujarvi's offense will catch up with everything else he does well. The lack of offense probably means a reduced arbitration award if it goes that far, but it also walks him to UFA. Ideally, they can find one last bridge deal to keep the dollars low and extract the best years from him. Could this play out similarly to Nichushkin for Colorado? Where he finally pops offensively at 27 as he hits UFA?

It's really hard to see a long term fit for Puljujarvi. His production and circumstances demand he take short term, short dollar deals, but that's going to walk him to a youthful UFA status and out the door. Can they buy a few UFA years on this next deal without compromising other parts of the roster?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

According to team insider Ryan Rishaug of TSN, the Oilers, at this point are significantly prioritizing Kailer Yamamoto over Puljujarvi. On the air of TSN 1260, Rishaug reported that there’s a possibility Puljujarvi has played his last game in an Oilers uniform.
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Superstar

https://twitter.com/evanderkane_9/st...426368/photo/1

Evander Kane's tweeted message to fans today sure seems like a goodbye letter. hard to see the Oilers being able to re-sign him.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

He's a goner for sure. They can't afford him and if we're being honest a guy like him wouldn't want to live in Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, some team will give him an absurd contract. Smart move on his part to maximize his chances of a big payday. It paid off well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah, some team will give him an absurd contract. Smart move on his part to maximize his chances of a big payday. It paid off well.
    Paid off well for both sides. Will be interesting to see how Oilers perform next year in the playoffs without a finisher of his caliber.