Page 266 of 370 FirstFirst ... 166 216 256 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 276 316 366 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    At least the team has started well. Lots could go really badly still, and there are some warning signs of big issues yet. They started 9-3-2 in 2011-2012 and still ended up WAY Out of the playoffs. But I'll take wins over losses at this point.
    I agree. The depth scoring is almost non existent and we shouldn't expect that to change with the current line up. I have liked the way nug has been skating, he looks good this year so it would be nice if he could find someone to really click with on that second line.

I think the team is a bit like a poor man's Boston Bruins. They will go as far as mcdavid and Leon will take them with a yet to matlure blue line (that I have high hopes for in future years) and mediocre goaltending (better than expected so far).

The goal in my mind is make the playoffs expecting to get bumped in round one or two. Experience at this stage and getting used to winning more games than you lose (hopefully) is all we can hope for.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Friedman mentioned that Athanasiou might be on the block. I'd love to see him on the Oilers.
    I'm a big Athanasiou believer. I'd be good with giving up on Puljujarvi for him. Been a fun start so far for the Oilers. I know it's a long season, but I like the start and am staying optimistic, enjoying the W's when they come.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Oilers lighting them up tonight. McDavid and Draisaitl having a great night while Kassian has laid a couple of monster hits. I feel bad for the rookie goalie, Werner who was hung out to dry a bit.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

I am in a couple different Oilers groups on Facebook and recently the topic of Zack Kassian has come up, and what GMKH should do about him, considering his current contract is coming due at the end of this year.

I am curious what Oilers fans (and others, I really dont care who replies) think about him going forward. A lot on those forums seem to think he's in line for a big raise due to his current production and can see him in the $3-4M range for his upcoming deal.

Would you give Kassian that type of money to retain his services? Do you think he's a good sell-high candidate for Holland today? What do you think Holland should do with Kassian?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am in a couple different Oilers groups on Facebook and recently the topic of Zack Kassian has come up, and what GMKH should do about him, considering his current contract is coming due at the end of this year.

I am curious what Oilers fans (and others, I really dont care who replies) think about him going forward. A lot on those forums seem to think he's in line for a big raise due to his current production and can see him in the $3-4M range for his upcoming deal.

Would you give Kassian that type of money to retain his services? Do you think he's a good sell-high candidate for Holland today? What do you think Holland should do with Kassian?
    Great question. Remind me to check my contract model for him tonight.
    I think he's a solid fit with them, and for a team trying to build up depth, you keep him around. Ideally for both sides I would be looking at Hagelin's deal as a benchmark (4yrs x 2.75-3M)
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

I'm concerned about Kassian's shelf life given his style of play and his ineffectiveness in anything but the perfect conditions.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

From a recent column I read re: Kassian and what the Oilers should do with him. Interesting take.

There’s an infamous Glen Sather quote about a fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Wayne Gretzky, in reference to Blair MacDonald’s time with the Great One. Sather was right, though. MacDonald never came close to those numbers without Gretzky.

McDavid isn’t Gretzky and Kassian isn’t a fire hydrant. But there’s plenty players who could score 20-plus goals if given the chance with McDavid and Draisaitl. Holland should use that to his advantage.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm concerned about Kassian's shelf life given his style of play and his ineffectiveness in anything but the perfect conditions.
    Agreed. I think a max of four years, but you might as well sign him for two, so I think 3 might be where it falls.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Kassian and what he brings, but not for anything north of $2.5M. Much like Chiasson is overpaid for short term production, Kassian is in line for a similar type of raise. Right now, Chiasson is not worth anything near the $2.1M he's making. Terrible contract. If Kassian loses his prime spot in the lineup, he's back to being low valued.

Administrator

If they end up paying several players too much for "McDavid bumps" they end up with a combo of big star contracts and overpaid depth, which is the worst of both worlds. Not good in a cap world.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

He's a good story, but almost entirely the product of where he is playing in the lineup right now. Let him earn a nice paycheque for all of his hard work, but let some other team pay him. He is easily replaceable.

Dobber Sports Star

To be honest, I would really like to see the stats on this type of discussion. I remember thinking that So-and-so is going to do great now that he is on a line with Crosby; or whatever the case may be. I have done that a lot, and always seem to be disappointed when the bump in stats always seems to be less than expected. I think that ice time is a far greater determining factor than who you linemates are, but I would like to see the stats. I remember everyone going crazy when Lucic signed with Edmonton and the over/under on him was set at 65 points on the grounds that he was going to be with McDavid. I laughed...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

https://theathletic.com/1340608/2019...-zack-kassian/

This isn't exactly what you're looking for Rylant, but it is topical

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The bigger question isn't "can someone else do what Kassian is doing" but rather "can Kassian keep doing this Y-o-Y". It's not like this is Kassian's first year in Edmonton nor his first time playing with good players. Why didn't he do this in previous years? Will he be able to do it again next year?

Administrator

I think every rationale party would agree that there is danger in overpaying Kassian as he is very much a passenger. The good news is that they have several years of data on what Kassian is away from McDavid and Draisaitl so they should avoid breaking the bank here, although that didn't stop them from overdoing it with Chiasson. Ideally, the Oilers would be using that third slot on the McDavid/Draisaitl line to prop up struggling wingers and also be developing young talent in-house that can fill the role on the cheap. That they haven't moved away from Kassian highlights how well that line is working, but also what a house of cards this team is despite its standing atop the Western Conference.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg