Page 296 of 370 FirstFirst ... 196 246 286 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 306 346 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I hope you're right. Not holding my breath. Even with his recent games Mike Smith is still sitting at a .923 sv % so far. He was a .902 last season, so he could have several more poor games and still only regress back to that point.

Stalock has never had to handle much of a workload and has shown that he can struggle at times as well. He's got a long way to go to show he's anything more than a backup. Koskinen has had stretches of play like Stalock as well. Mike Smith is an aging goalie that can get the job done at times, and drive you crazy with his inconsistency at times as well. I don't see any of these three guys as any kind of answer for the team. It's an area that needs a significant upgrade.

That being said, goaltending has largely not been the issue this season, and anyone who watches these games can tell you that.
    Quite right!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

That being said, goaltending has largely not been the issue this season, and anyone who watches these games can tell you that.
    Quite the contrary. You need to understand how unreliable goaltending gets into a team's psyche. I've never played at a professional level but have been playing most of my life and I can tell you that the abilities of the goalie play a rather large role in the way the team plays. I'd be willing to bet they feel a little better with Smith in there but that when Koskinen is in - yikes. It's all tied in.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Quite the contrary. You need to understand how unreliable goaltending gets into a team's psyche. I've never played at a professional level but have been playing most of my life and I can tell you that the abilities of the goalie play a rather large role in the way the team plays. I'd be willing to bet they feel a little better with Smith in there but that when Koskinen is in - yikes. It's all tied in.
    Well then it's a good thing it's been mostly Smith lately...

Dobber Sports Icon

You may want to look into Alex Stalock's goals saved above replacement to temper your expectations. He was the goalie ranked just above Mike Smith last season in that stat.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    You may want to look into Alex Stalock's goals saved above replacement to temper your expectations. He was the goalie ranked just above Mike Smith last season in that stat.
    It wasn't close to working out that way. Koskinen was good, Stalock was average. Smith was bad last year.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/lea...0_goalies.html

Stalock is what he is, cheap guy who can give you average play. That's an upgrade on things in Edmonton.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Here's another website with goalie stats. In 19/20 Stalock and Smith were pretty much the same goalie! They were both pretty bad but Koskinen was pretty good. This year, Mike Smith has the 3rd highest goals saved above expected where as Koskinen is ahead of Ottawa goalies, San Jose goalies and only a few others.

http://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

I like the Stalock pick up as it gives the Oilers some depth and because he is a cheap veteran. I just don't think he's a short term or long term answer to their goaltending woes.

Dobber Sports Deity

Huge 1st period last night for Smith to keep the Oilers in it while the skaters slept through that 1st. Thankfully they woke up to find the way home.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

The Sutter era begins with a whimper for Calgary.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Sutter won't be joining the Flames until Monday due to the NHL's quarantine regulations. Ryan Huska was the head coach of record for the Flames last 2 games.

Dobber Sports Deity

You should be posting this in the Calgary thread, not the Edmonton one.

Administrator

Can't say I love that the Oilers have had to push the Draisaitl with McDavid button just to get the offense going but that speaks to how many of the secondary options have failed, whether that's luck, skill or fit, who can say.

Early on, McDavid was generating chances like crazy for Chiasson and Kassian, neither of whom could cash. Eventually that led to the promotion of Puljujarvi, who could still be cashing more but is at least finishing at a reasonable rate. He is tops on the squad in G/60 at 5-on-5. Can you imagine if he never agreed to come back?

Nuge on the McDavid line was working from a sense that McDavid has posted some of the most crooked shot shares and scoring chance shares of his career. How much of that was the responsible Nuge helping out defensively to cut down on the trading chances thing that plagued McDavid last season and how much of that was McDavid hearing the criticisms from last season and doing the MJ "I took that personally" thing, it's hard to say.

What isn't hard to say is that Nuge has struggled with 5-on-5 offense. He's shooting below 10%. He should be up there with Yamamoto and Puljujarvi at above 10% and above 1.0 G/60 considering who he plays with and his talent. He also has no secondary assists at 5-on-5 and an IPP of 42%, which feels a bit random. He's been a little shy on goals, but really shy on assists for his talent level.

Anyhow, Nuge didn't get going when reunited with Draisaitl and Yamamoto, so now he's back at C on his own line and maybe that helps him get more involved. The plus in all this, maybe it gets them a discount on his next contract?

Kahun hasn't scored enough despite the chemistry with Draisaitl being visible.

Ennis has flashed some value when playing up in the lineup but isn't a guy you can rely on for health.

Neal is headed for a buyout.

The end result, the team is probably still looking for a top-6 winger so that using the break glass in case of emergency option isn't quite so necessary. Maybe it'll be Holloway when his season ends in April. Nice they are taking care of business against the Sens though.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Koskinen played "well" last night but still gives up that one cheesey goal he shouldn't be letting in. He did his job in the 3rd when it counted, and that was the important thing.

Dobber Sports Titan

I watch the Edmonton game last night, and I gotta say, the play away from the puck from Draisaitl and McDavid was a bit of a shock.

McDavid on the PP is a bit of a eyebrow raiser too. He looks like he doesn't quite know what to do when he doesn't have the puck, and when he does, he almost needs to always look for Draisaitl.

Could be me being overly critical, could be a "bad" game, could be I'm wrong but the play away from the puck between these two superstars was a bit of a shock.

The Oilers issues are depth, 100%. The fact they almost needed to pair Draisaitl and McDavid to get any offense is bad, but man...Drais and McDavid have room to grow there. Again could be me, but I think those two need to develop their overall game more if this team is going to do anything. Just because they are good enough not to tank to get a top pick.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Apologies if this is already a topic in the 296 pages. What is Edmonton going to do for goalies next year? Smith a UFA @ 38 (and their best option). Koskinen being paid good money, is he capable to be a full-time starter? Stalock, (a safety net)? Would they go after someone (via trade or FA)? Not much in the pipeline either.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRamrod View Post
    Apologies if this is already a topic in the 296 pages. What is Edmonton going to do for goalies next year? Smith a UFA @ 38 (and their best option). Koskinen being paid good money, is he capable to be a full-time starter? Stalock, (a safety net)? Would they go after someone (via trade or FA)? Not much in the pipeline either.
    It's an interesting question and one we've been asking since CuJo left!

A few things we know:

1. Koskinen is NOT capable of being a full-time starter. He is a perfectly capable tandem goalie but asking him to run with the starting gig for more than a week is too much to ask. He needs to be splitting the workload.

2. Ken Holland will go cheap in goal if he's not getting an elite netminder. Holland is on the record that there is little difference between the 10th and 40th goalie in the league so it doesn't make sense to spend unless you are getting a top-5 type option. They were in on Jacob Markstrom this past summer and when that failed (because Calgary offered more term, I believe) he went back to Smith on the cheap. This follows his track record. Outside of the Jimmy Howard long term deal once he was up for UFA he's basically signing bridge deals for guys like Mrazek, Howard, Bernier, Gustavsson, and cheapo vet deals for guys like Joey MacDonald. I suspect the flat cap will eliminate the ability to spend on a top-5 option (there may not even be one available) so we're looking at going cheap again.

This brings up an interesting notion, would they trade for someone?

I suspect his approach to signing goalies is similar to his approach to paying them. If you aren't paying a goalie big bucks why would you give up major assets for one? I suspect he'd trade for a true #1, but again is there one available? The only time Holland ever traded for a goalie was Hasek, an elite goalie, but also in the pre-cap era. Smith's excellent start since returning from injury has probably squashed the desire to make a deal this season, especially with the whole quarantine thing limiting what you can do in trades and the Darcy Kuemper injury taking a top target off the market.

This summer maybe they make a trade, but there are a ton of mid-tier free agents. Also the expansion draft may shake some things loose. Any of Mrazek, Reimer, Raanta, Bernier, Driedger, Rittich, Bernier could be in play as cheaper UFAs. Halak, Rask, Andersen, Binnington, Grubauer are all out there at the top of the market. Holland signed Bernier in Detroit and loves going back to the well so I've been penciling him into my roster projections.

Long term, the hope is that Ilya Konovalov (his contract in Russia is up this summer!) comes over and can be an Anton Khudobin (smaller goalie who succeeds anyhow). His numbers in the KHL have been great and he's highly intriguing as an older draft selection who may be closer to his prime than other draft picks like Stuart Skinner or Olivier Rodrigue. I long for a homegrown netminder, shame they blew it with Devan Dubnyk once upon a time.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg