Page 232 of 370 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 242 282 332 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    @ Axe.

What’s the real feeling toward Cherrelli in Edmonton from a trust/competency standpoint regarding non draft moves? Guys like Draisaitl and Mc Davis were no brain selections and fell into his lap.

But since taking over we’ve seen him sign Sekera and Lucic, send out Hall and Eberle to get Larsson and Strome. Even in Boston, he sent out Hamilton and Seguin (who fell in his lap) and brought in guys like Eriksson and Smith (who’s no longer in Boston but ripn it in Vegas (and I don’t remember who else they got.)

I personally haven’t been impressed with any of his non draft hockey transactions but maybe I’m missing some. Seems all he does is have talent land in his lap via draft then slowly make poor decision after questionable decision after underwhelming decision.

View from a former oilers follower, asking a diehard fan.

Thanks Axe. Truely Interested In you’re take on your GM
    I would prefer to keep this thread clear of controversy if we can. I have no issues spewing crap in the other thread that bares my name and crapping/defending the Oilers but not in this thread. Feel free to post your question in that thread and I will give my opinion but I am not going to open the door for a big discussion here that has already been going on over there for ages.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I would prefer to keep this thread clear of controversy if we can. I have no issues spewing crap in the other thread that bares my name and crapping/defending the Oilers but not in this thread. Feel free to post your question in that thread and I will give my opinion but I am not going to open the door for a big discussion here that has already been going on over there for ages.
    I was giving you a break from that reduculousness. This was a serious question. Is Cherelli to be trusted by Oilers fans to fix / turn the ship around? I’ll pose that to all Oiler fans. I’m interested in the confidence level Oiler fans have in their current brass.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was giving you a break from that reduculousness. This was a serious question. Is Cherelli to be trusted by Oilers fans to fix / turn the ship around? I?ll pose that to all Oiler fans. I?m interested in the confidence level Oiler fans have in their current brass.
    I'm a fan and Edmontonian, you will find VERY few people around town that have faith in Chia at this stage. His track record going back to his days in Boston speaks for itself. He's made some nice lesser moves (Maroon, Talbot) but he is well known for losing big in the major trades and dishing top talent at a serious discount. I think he is dangling Nuge and/or Klefbom in trade talks, and I have next to no faith that he will get fair return.....every GM in the league knows he can be fleeced, just look at the Sequin, Hall and Eberle trades, and the list goes on. Not pretty. He's also really handcuffed himself with extremely poor signings like the Lucic and Russel contracts which are both way too much money for too long of a term.......the league is getting faster and he seems two steps behind with the type of team he tried to build.

Dobber Sports Deity

I was giving you a break from that reduculousness. This was a serious question. Is Cherelli to be trusted by Oilers fans to fix / turn the ship around? I’ll pose that to all Oiler fans. I’m interested in the confidence level Oiler fans have in their current brass.
    I appreciate that but I am not sure that's an option around these parts.

I will give you MY honest opinion on Chiarelli. Do I trust him to make a good trade? Not really, no.

He's made some very good trades. Some of the trades he's made over his time that I give a thumbs up to: Maroon, Talbot, Kassian, Gryba, Desharnais (for last years playoffs. How about that OT goal). I also like a lot of his signings. Sekera and Letestu come to mind right off the top of my head. He's also made some smart signings out of college in Caggiula and Benning.

Some of the trades I didn't like: Obviously the Reinhart deal didn't work out for them as he had hoped. I didnt like the Eberle deal either. At the time, they really didn't have the depth at wing. I can see what he was trying to do by bringing in a cheaper Strome, but again, it clearly didn't work. At the time, I liked the Lucic signing as far as bringing in Lucic, but like everyone, hated the term. The cap hit is less bothersome compared to the term but such is the case when most free agents. At the time, it was a market value signing like Okposo, Nielsen, Ladd and Eriksson, all of whom are far worse than Lucic. He did put up 23 goals in his first season so it's not like it was a complete waste of money like many seem to think. Say what you want about Lucic but he was one of the top free agents when he signed with the Oilers. It's not like the Oilers were the only team chasing him. Something similar could be said for the Kris Russell signing. I didnt hate the caphit, but the term was longer than needed. It's rare to sign a good Dman to much less than $4M per season. Russell is a good Dman on the defensive side of the puck, but again, if you are looking for offense, this is not the guy. I also didnt like the Draisaitl signing. Way too much coming off his ELC. Should have been $2M less per season. $6.5M per season made a lot more sense when you compare him to guys like Pastrnak, Monahan to name a few off the top of my head.

I will touch on the Hall - Larsson trade because most seem to harp on that one. I still don't hate this trade. I hated losing Hall but the Oilers had a massive hole on the right hand side for defensemen and Larsson fills that hole. What Hall offers on the offensive side of the rink, Larsson offers on the defensive side. I know most don't understand that because they simply see fantasy numbers and Larsson isn't sexy there but anyone who watches the Oilers can attest that Larsson is definitely a piece the Oilers have been missing for some time. The price was high, but everyone around the league knew Chiarelli was in hard for D help. I am really just glad we got Larsson and not Ceci as was reported at one time. (How the hell does Ottawa turn that down if the reports are true??) Long story short, this trade isn't nearly as bad as most want to make it out to be. Finding a 24 year old, right handed shooting Dman, locked up long term on a valued contract are hard to find and don't come cheap. The Oilers found this out the hard way. None the less, it's a deal that had to be made to shore up the blue line. As I say, I still don't hate the trade. I just hated losing my favorite Oiler at the time in Hall. I can also say, as much as Edmonton misses Hall, NJ misses Larsson. Looking at the trade market, what one is easier to replace and what one is harder to acquire?

Long story short, Chiarelli has made some smart moves and some sketchy ones. I've said it many times, that could be said of pretty much most GMs around the NHL. If there's one thing we can say about Chiarelli, he's not afraid to take a chance. Some times it's worked out great and other times it hasn't. At least he's willing to take that chance. God knows, as an Oiler fan, I appreciate him at least taking the shot. Oilers fans saw what happened when a GM wasn't willing to make a "bold move" even though he said he would; losing. The Oilers are still losing (this year) but at least Chiarelli is at least "trying" to make it better, even if it hasn't always worked out.

Every move he makes now makes me nervous but one can only hope his future moves are more Maroon/Talbot and less Reinhart/Eberle.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I appreciate that but I am not sure that's an option around these parts.

I will give you MY honest opinion on Chiarelli. Do I trust him to make a good trade? Not really, no.

He's made some very good trades. Some of the trades he's made over his time that I give a thumbs up to: Maroon, Talbot, Kassian, Gryba, Desharnais (for last years playoffs. How about that OT goal). I also like a lot of his signings. Sekera and Letestu come to mind right off the top of my head. He's also made some smart signings out of college in Caggiula and Benning.

Some of the trades I didn't like: Obviously the Reinhart deal didn't work out for them as he had hoped. I didnt like the Eberle deal either. At the time, they really didn't have the depth at wing. I can see what he was trying to do by bringing in a cheaper Strome, but again, it clearly didn't work. At the time, I liked the Lucic signing as far as bringing in Lucic, but like everyone, hated the term. The cap hit is less bothersome compared to the term but such is the case when most free agents. At the time, it was a market value signing like Okposo, Nielsen, Ladd and Eriksson, all of whom are far worse than Lucic. He did put up 23 goals in his first season so it's not like it was a complete waste of money like many seem to think. Say what you want about Lucic but he was one of the top free agents when he signed with the Oilers. It's not like the Oilers were the only team chasing him. Something similar could be said for the Kris Russell signing. I didnt hate the caphit, but the term was longer than needed. It's rare to sign a good Dman to much less than $4M per season. Russell is a good Dman on the defensive side of the puck, but again, if you are looking for offense, this is not the guy. I also didnt like the Draisaitl signing. Way too much coming off his ELC. Should have been $2M less per season. $6.5M per season made a lot more sense when you compare him to guys like Pastrnak, Monahan to name a few off the top of my head.

I will touch on the Hall - Larsson trade because most seem to harp on that one. I still don't hate this trade. I hated losing Hall but the Oilers had a massive hole on the right hand side for defensemen and Larsson fills that hole. What Hall offers on the offensive side of the rink, Larsson offers on the defensive side. I know most don't understand that because they simply see fantasy numbers and Larsson isn't sexy there but anyone who watches the Oilers can attest that Larsson is definitely a piece the Oilers have been missing for some time. The price was high, but everyone around the league knew Chiarelli was in hard for D help. I am really just glad we got Larsson and not Ceci as was reported at one time. (How the hell does Ottawa turn that down if the reports are true??) Long story short, this trade isn't nearly as bad as most want to make it out to be. Finding a 24 year old, right handed shooting Dman, locked up long term on a valued contract are hard to find and don't come cheap. The Oilers found this out the hard way. None the less, it's a deal that had to be made to shore up the blue line. As I say, I still don't hate the trade. I just hated losing my favorite Oiler at the time in Hall.

Long story short, Chiarelli has made some smart moves and some sketchy ones. I've said it many times, that could be said of pretty much most GMs around the NHL. If there's one thing we can say about Chiarelli, he's not afraid to take a chance. Some times it's worked out great and other times it hasn't. At least he's willing to take that chance. God knows, as an Oiler fan, I appreciate him at least taking the shot. Oilers fans saw what happened when a GM wasn't willing to make a "bold move" even though he said he would; losing. The Oilers are still losing (this year) but at least Chiarelli is at least "trying" to make it better, even if it hasn't always worked out.

Every move he makes now makes me nervous but one can only hope his future moves are more Maroon/Talbot and less Reinhart/Eberle.
    THanks. To be honest, I wasn’t thinking about the Talbot and Maroon trades. I would agree, those were two astute moves. I guess the scales just aren’t balancing.

The reason I ask is that for some reason Cherelli seemed that he high billed as a GM at one point and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why. Especially when it seems his biggest moves were moving out high skilled talent for less than impressive returns. All the way back to Boston.

I think, much like Bergevin and the Habs, in the opinion of this former Oiler follower, the best move Edmonton can make now is to get a new perspective in the GM positiOn. The Habs are in need for significant retooling and I don’t think Bergevin can be trusted to see that through. I don’t think it’s any different for Cherelli.

But just my perspective and you’re response Axe and Taco97 confirms this in my mind.

Just a Canadian hockey fan really tired of canadian teams not just failing, but in an emearassing way. The Leafs were the biggest joke of all for decades. It’s time for us Canadians to be able to be proud of our limited market share in the NHL.

Edmonton NEEDS to return significance. Montreal too.

I really hope they get the “right” driver in the driver’s seat sooner than later.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well, he was at the reigns when the Bruins won the Cup. I guess that brings prominence to his stature around the league.

Dobber Sports Expert

Come on oilers. 12mins to go. Score .

Cam Talbot is killing me

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rasmus Dahlin will turn this franchise around

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Shutout by the Yotes for 5th straight loss......way to show what you're made of boys, sigh. Turning into a dumpster fire.....I'm actually hoping this continues, as the more they poop the bed before season's end, the more pressure to get Chia out of there. This is pathetic.

Dobber Sports Deity

Might as well get a look at the future now.

https://oilersnation.com/2018/02/27/...lled-from-ahl/
    According to Bob Stauffer on OilersNow, the Oilers have recalled defenceman Ethan Bear from the Bakersfield Condors of the AHL.

This addition will give the Oilers eight defenceman on their roster again as the total was lowered to seven after Brandon Davidson was dealt to the New York Islanders. Bear also gives the Oilers another right-handed option on the blueline, which is something they currently lack outside of Matt Benning and Adam Larsson.

The Oilers don’t have much to get excited about on their farm team right now. Ethan Bear is one of, realistically, two prospects that have the potential to have an impact on the team over the next few years, so it’ll be exciting watching him have an opportunity to play at the NHL level.

A fifth-round pick in 2015, Bear burst onto the scene last year when he won WHL Defenceman of the Year with an impressive 70-point season with the Seattle Thunderbirds. In his first professional season, Bear has recorded six goals and 10 assists in 34 games.

The Magnificent One

What does Edms lines look like tonight?

Thanks
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    What does Edms lines look like tonight?

Thanks
    Lucic McDavid Slepyshev
    Cammalerri Leon Rattie
    Aberg Strome Puljujarvi
    Caggiula Khaira Pakarinen

With some juggling here n there to get Leon and McDavid the odd shift together.

Dobber Sports Deity

Nice to see Rattie finally getting a look.

Dobber Sports Pro

Nice to see Rattie finally getting a look.
    Yeah I loved him in his WHL days....that Baertschi-Rattie duo dominated the league for 2 years.

Was funny to see him come down the wing on a 2 on 1 vs Anaheim 2 games ago, he let go a decent looking wrister labelled for the top corner, R.Miller snagged it like it was a warmup shot... man the NHL is tough.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Rattie has rattled around the AHL a long time. Why not have Pulj & Aberg with Drais? These are Dahlin quality lines for sure.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4