Page 351 of 370 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 361 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,265 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Gotcha.
    Maybe they can do a small bridge deal.
    After this season Lucic and Sekera are off the books - that's another 2.25m. Hopefully no overages either...
    They are almost certainly bridging McLeod. The problem with doing so for Puljujarvi and Yamamoto is they have already done the bridge thing, so they are getting close to UFA and both have arb rights so even on a shorter deal, we could still see them get a decent award. It's why so many RFAs didn't even get qualified. I'm also not even sure if keeping things to a bridge even enables them to keep all these guys. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are both pushing into the range of $3M even on a one-year deal.

The whole bridge game is also how they ended up with Nurse signing for $9.25M AAV, when the summer before they might have gotten him locked up for something in the $7-8M range. Of course, Nurse was still on his cheap final bridge deal last season, which left them the cap room they signed Kane with mid-season, so you can eventually draw this all back to the sins of the past with long deals for the wrong guys that have left so much dead money on the books.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You and I are definitely on the same train of thought. I may be a tad hirer on Campbell than you but I can appreciate where you're coming from. Goalies are too hard to predict but I love Campbell's old-school style of tending.

I'm still expecting a trade to gain something back for not being able to keep everyone. I'm not as high on Yamamoto as many. If they're trading anyone, he'd be my choice. No matter who they move, they're going to lose that trade. I hope I'm wrong but I'm skeptical.
    If you have to lose an RFA, I'd definitely move Yamamoto instead of Puljujarvi, but that doesn't seem to be the preference. They both offer a nice defensive/forechecking element and score just enough to tantalize, but not enough to fully commit to. I'd bet on the big guy being more important the next few years vs. the small guy, but ultimately I'd just like to keep both as they are just entering their primes, which should line up with the window the Oilers are trying to capitalize on here the next few seasons.

At some point there will have to be a decision made on which of these two is a core piece because you can't pay everyone. Maybe we have hit that point. It's possible neither guy should be considered one. But like we've been saying, what's the trade that makes sense here? Maybe something at the deadline for a more expensive veteran whose dollars can be massaged better. That doesn't help the current predicament though.

Dobber Sports Star

edmonton mostly has the same team in tact so they should make the playoffs and then see how far connor and leon can drag them. evander and kulak are solid players and keith retiring definitely helped the cap situation.

edmonton are rejoicing what happened to their Alberta neighbours though, what a day! Battle of Alberta heavily swings in the oilers favour now
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    edmonton mostly has the same team in tact so they should make the playoffs and then see how far connor and leon can drag them. evander and kulak are solid players and keith retiring definitely helped the cap situation.

edmonton are rejoicing what happened to their Alberta neighbours though, what a day! Battle of Alberta heavily swings in the oilers favour now
    I think the big question is if Jack Campbell is an upgrade and can be the difference. I am not sure but we're going to find out one way or the other.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

I think the big question is if Jack Campbell is an upgrade and can be the difference. I am not sure but we're going to find out one way or the other.
    I think he’ll do the job just fine, he’s such a team first guy plus he apologizes for everything. The D will love his butt taps and his constant chirping. He’ll be the first one to let Skinner take over if he’s playing like crap. You can only root for a guy like that to succeed.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I think he’ll do the job just fine, he’s such a team first guy plus he apologizes for everything. The D will love his butt taps and his constant chirping. He’ll be the first one to let Skinner take over if he’s playing like crap. You can only root for a guy like that to succeed.
    Campbell played 6 games with Barrie/Ceci as part of the d group in the 2019-20 season and was with the Leafs from Feb-march, then COVID hit, then the bubble. He might be aware he shouldn't be saying sorry to often to those 2 for giving up something soft. I joke obviously though lol.

There's 3 Campbells. The guy who can go lights out. The guy who gets hurt. Then the guy who takes a few weeks to gear back up once he's back from injury. I think he worked pretty hard to get mentally past a bad goal, or let things go while on the ice. But he still carries things hard off the ice. He should be fine mentally in Edmonton as if there's a team in the NHL that can make up a bad goal against instantly is McDavid.

As long as he holds up physically, it's a good signing. And just think, Markstrom chose Calgary at 6m over Edmonton, and now you get a goalie at the same level for less (but 2yrs younger). Life works out.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

If what they say about the high highs, the low lows, and the injuries are correct are we just paying twice the price for a younger Mike Smith?

Here's one for folks. With Johnny out of Calgary and Patches out of Vegas (and Lehner's injury potentially carrying into the season) are the Oilers now the clear favourites in the Pacific? Kind of feels that way.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    If what they say about the high highs, the low lows, and the injuries are correct are we just paying twice the price for a younger Mike Smith?

Here's one for folks. With Johnny out of Calgary and Patches out of Vegas (and Lehner's injury potentially carrying into the season) are the Oilers now the clear favourites in the Pacific? Kind of feels that way.

Right now, on paper, I'd say yes but it depends on any future moves for the D. I am not sure how much I trust the kids stepping in and carrying the load. Kulak should be able to replace Keith on the left side but that may be asking too much from him. They have depth scoring now, but not sure about the depth on the blue line.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    He should be fine mentally in Edmonton as if there's a team in the NHL that can make up a bad goal against instantly is McDavid.
    I like how McDavid is a team now.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

As per 32 Thoughts pod, Oilers are still trying to move Puljujarvi, apparently afraid of his arbitration award. Trying to move him for a pick now, but no one will take him without sending money back, because others see the arb award possibilities as well. Seems like this is a fait accompli, we just wait for when. Anything short of a 1st is a disgrace, but they definitely won't get that. So disgrace it is.

To be fair, the Oilers don't have the money to sign all three RFAs, so barring another cap dumping move, someone is going to be out, just a shame that this is where we're at.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Guessing they're also looking at dumping Foegele in order to keep all 3 RFA's?
    Or getting a cheaper RHD back in a Barrie deal?
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    They have some time on their side to make the cap room. Signing McLeod won't be a major issue. Out of Yamamoto, Pool Party and Foegele who would they rather keep? All avenues to 'dump' Foegele should be explored here but getting creative with moving Barrie is a plausible plan B.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by deantime419 View Post
    I suspect that both of those options are in play still. Any Barrie deal is likely waiting on John Klingberg, but I suspect the only reason guys like Klingberg and Kadri haven't signed is the market being gummed up with teams trying to move out salary, so this would be a multiple dominos type scenario.

Even getting off of Foegele's modest money feels suspect. Look at all the RFAs with arb rights who weren't tendered qualifying offers. Very few teams want to spend any kind of premium on roster depth.

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't know about the rest of you Oiler fans, but this teaser is the best thing thus far to come with the new season:

https://oilersnation.com/2022/09/20/...eid=106842d031

They are bringing back a redesign of the Todd McFarlane designed 3rd jersey from 2001-2007 (that long now??). I have the original, and I may have to spring for this one too.

Dobber Sports Icon

The full image is available at icethetics.