Page 99 of 607 FirstFirst ... 49 89 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 109 149 199 599 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

I don't believe there will be much of a rebuild. The team still has a lot of vets and I expect that to continue. I prefer a good healthy mix.

Out of that list, I would count on Thrower not being in the NHL yet (insert vet in that spot). I would also chalk Gallagher down as a 3rd liner next to Leblanc and Eller. The upside is there but it takes time. The rest will have to be veterans.

I would also like to see the team begin investing in goaltenders. We're already at a point where if Price were to leave as a UFA at some point there is absolutely nothing behind him in goal. Even if he gets injured, you give the ball to Budaj for a while.... but who the hell backs him up at that point???

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't believe there will be much of a rebuild. The team still has a lot of vets and I expect that to continue. I prefer a good healthy mix.

Out of that list, I would count on Thrower not being in the NHL yet (insert vet in that spot). I would also chalk Gallagher down as a 3rd liner next to Leblanc and Eller. The upside is there but it takes time. The rest will have to be veterans.

I would also like to see the team begin investing in goaltenders. We're already at a point where if Price were to leave as a UFA at some point there is absolutely nothing behind him in goal. Even if he gets injured, you give the ball to Budaj for a while.... but who the hell backs him up at that point???
    I did not say full-blown rebuild... and I specified that the line-up does not include the free agents that will undoubtly be add to the team. I also think that the Habs will not tank next season, but I don't see them offer a long term contract to a UFA, unless it is Parise or Suter. Jagr would be the perfect stop-gap for next season.

I only think that they will let things unfold, try to ice the best line-up possible without messing with their future. The presence of vets is important, scratch that, vital.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    I did not say full-blown rebuild... and I specified that the line-up does not include the free agents that will undoubtly be add to the team. I also think that the Habs will not tank next season, but I don't see them offer a long term contract to a UFA, unless it is Parise or Suter. Jagr would be the perfect stop-gap for next season.

I only think that they will let things unfold, try to ice the best line-up possible without messing with their future. The presence of vets is important, scratch that, vital.
    Jagr would be fine in the spot next to Gionta/Plek, but I think they need more of a one year stop gap since the existing prospects are not slam dunk top 6 players unless we consider that Galchenyuk could be brought in as a winger. Bourque is a better 3rd line player although he could be considered a plug in that spot.

It's too bad that the crop of players being groomed around the century year fell apart. That made a gap in prospect readiness that the Habs have to work through right now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Jagr would be fine in the spot next to Gionta/Plek, but I think they need more of a one year stop gap since the existing prospects are not slam dunk top 6 players unless we consider that Galchenyuk could be brought in as a winger. Bourque is a better 3rd line player although he could be considered a plug in that spot.

It's too bad that the crop of players being groomed around the century year fell apart. That made a gap in prospect readiness that the Habs have to work through right now.
    Bad trades over the last 10 years, horrible assets management and a disgusting trend to trade away early round draft picks lead to the situation the Habs are in right now.

Since 2006, the Habs have traded the following players/picks:
    Mike Ribeiro
    Christobal Huet
    1st round pick in 2008
    2nd round pick in 2009
    Mikhail Grabovski
    2nd round pick in 2010
    2nd round pick in 2009
    3rd round pick in 2010
    Chris Higgins
    Ryan MacDonagh
    Guillaume Latendresse
    Sergei Kostitsyn
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Matt D'Agostini
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Maxime Lapierre

From those trades, here are the players/assets received in return that are still with the organization:
    Andrew Conboy
    Greg Pateryn
    Scott Gomez
    Aaron Palushaj

Worst. Five-year. Plan. Ever.

Dobber Sports Giant

Bad trades over the last 10 years, horrible assets management and a disgusting trend to trade away early round draft picks lead to the situation the Habs are in right now.

Mike Ribeiro
    Christobal Huet
    1st round pick in 2008
    2nd round pick in 2009
    Mikhail Grabovski
    2nd round pick in 2010
    2nd round pick in 2009
    3rd round pick in 2010
    Chris Higgins
    Ryan MacDonagh
    Guillaume Latendresse
    Sergei Kostitsyn
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Matt D'Agostini
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Maxime Lapierre

From those trades, here are the players/assets received in return that are still with the organization:
    Andrew Conboy
    Greg Pateryn
    Scott Gomez
    Aaron Palushaj

Thanks for reminding me something I was trying to forget since 2006...

Seriously you got it all right and that's why I can see another 2-3 years with some problems before our youngsters are ready to take the next step.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Thanks for reminding me something I was trying to forget since 2006...

Seriously you got it all right and that's why I can see another 2-3 years with some problems before our youngsters are ready to take the next step.
    Exactly, and isd exactly why I hope/think that the Habs will try to ice the best team possible without sacrificing their youth and without overpaying for UFAs in the next 2-3 seasons.

Dobber Sports Giant

Exactly, and isd exactly why I hope/think that the Habs will try to ice the best team possible without sacrificing their youth and without overpaying for UFAs in the next 2-3 seasons.
    Definitely and that's why I also wouldn't mind them finishing in the basement for another year or two.

I wouldn't mind a few one year cheap stop gap if needed and as long as it doesn't harm our youngsters developement.

Administrator

Mike Ribeiro
    Christobal Huet
    1st round pick in 2008
    2nd round pick in 2009
    Mikhail Grabovski
    2nd round pick in 2010
    2nd round pick in 2009
    3rd round pick in 2010
    Chris Higgins
    Ryan MacDonagh
    Guillaume Latendresse
    Sergei Kostitsyn
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Matt D'Agostini
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Maxime Lapierre

Andrew Conboy
    Greg Pateryn
    Scott Gomez
    Aaron Palushaj

I seriously just vomited.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I seriously just vomited.
    I know... horribly depressing. In fact, I could have use more years, but I did not have the courage to continue.

Dobber Sports Giant

In fact, I could have use more years, but I did not have the courage to continue.
    Please don't do this... I've just finished crying over the first list you've posted!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey, it has been a while that I did bot bothered you with my "What will the Habs lineup will look like in three years" thing. Following what is generally considered a pretty good draft by the Habs, I thought I would update it. This lineup only include the prospects already in the Habs pipeline, and it does not take into account any future draftee or free agent signed by Montreal. It is simply a way to get a sense of what the future of the Habs will look like after that mini-rebuild.

Here is your 2014-15 Montreal Canadiens!

(For the purposes of the exercice, I ignored the remaining years of Plekanec, Bourque (2) and Cole (1), since they might not be there when the window will open for the Habs)

Goalies:
    Price
    Who cares

- Price will probably be signed to a long term contract, so the future in nets looks bright.

Defense:
    Gorges-Subban
    Tinordi-Beaulieu
    Emelin-Thrower

In the mix (Greg Pateryn, Mac Bennett, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz)

- The Habs boast a pretty solid group of prospects on defense. Even if they don't all pan out, there is solid depth in the system. There is also a great mix of size, toughness and puck moving skills.

Forwards:
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-
    Gallagher-Galchenyuk-
    Leblanc-Eller-
    White-

In the mix (Collberg, Bozon, Vail, Kristo, Quailer, Bournival, Avtsin, Nattinen, Holland, Archambault, Pribyl, Dumont, Hudon)

- Pieces start to fall in place, but this is still the area of weakness of the organization. The recent acquisitions (Collberg, Bozon, Vail) are highly regarded, but the rest of the offensive prospects are tagged with question marks. Nevertheless, the situation improved dramatically since the last draft, with the acquisition of Galchenyuk.

With four picks in the first two rounds in next year draft, the situation should improve again. Give more picks to Timmins, he'll find the talents.

Did you know: Thrower and Collberg were the first second-round draft picks since 2008 for the Habs!!
    Just to add some precisions:
    - I did not rank the forwards in a L1, L2 order. By that, I mean that I did not rank Desharnais ahead of Galchenyuk in the depth chart. I just put the names out there to show which holes need to be filled.
    - As I stated in a previous post, I don't think/suggest that this will be actual lineup in 2014. It is only a list of prospects in the pipeline that could be ready to take a full time role by then. The lineup will have to include several veteran players to be competitive.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mike Ribeiro
    Christobal Huet
    1st round pick in 2008
    2nd round pick in 2009
    Mikhail Grabovski
    2nd round pick in 2010
    2nd round pick in 2009
    3rd round pick in 2010
    Chris Higgins
    Ryan MacDonagh
    Guillaume Latendresse
    Sergei Kostitsyn
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Matt D'Agostini
    2nd round pick in 2011
    Maxime Lapierre

Andrew Conboy
    Greg Pateryn
    Scott Gomez
    Aaron Palushaj

Sorry, I had mislead you. Andrew Conboy was not qualified as a RFA, please scratch his name from the list.

Administrator

A couple news items...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...ting-committee

This link discusses the NHLPA negotiating committee but has a note that Mathieu Darche is done with the Habs. The team offered him a two-way deal which I would find insulting. If the team has no plans to use him on the main roster, that's fine, but just let the guy know and don't waste his time.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...gnings-to-come

Habs would like to add Larry Robinson to their coaching staff, and Andreas Engqvist is off to the KHL.

Dobber Sports Padawan

A couple news items...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...ting-committee

This link discusses the NHLPA negotiating committee but has a note that Mathieu Darche is done with the Habs. The team offered him a two-way deal which I would find insulting. If the team has no plans to use him on the main roster, that's fine, but just let the guy know and don't waste his time.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...gnings-to-come

Habs would like to add Larry Robinson to their coaching staff, and Andreas Engqvist is off to the KHL.
    The addition of Robinson would be great...

Administrator

The addition of Robinson would be great...
    He is a good coach, but I find he is a bit too much of a flip-flopper. He has bounced around everywhere over the years and can never set his feet in one particular spot. If he can give a solid 2-3 years it would be good though.