Page 98 of 607 FirstFirst ... 48 88 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 108 148 198 598 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Very happy with the draft. They were picking cherries for the first two rounds. I don't know much about the rest though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm super happy with Galchenyuk, Collberg, and Thrower through the first two rounds.

Bozon is a great story, son of the first France-born player in the league (who always wanted to play for Montreal, but never did). 6', 175lbs. He's apparently fast, and fearless. Strong work ethic, and good defensively.

Vail is a decently big kid, 6' 195lbs. As far as I can tell, he's a good defensive forward. Poor skater, but loads of character. Could become a solid third/fourth line guy.

Hudon was the QMJHL rookie of the year last year (2010/11). Fast skater, 5'10 170lbs. Accurate, but weak shot. Undersized, but skilled. Not bad for a 5th rounder.

I don't know much at all about Nystrom, but he's a 6th round pick. Anything could happen there.

It's almost like the Habs were using McKeen's draft guide to make their picks:

Galchenyuk - 2
    Collberg - 14
    Thrower - 38
    Bozon - 45
    Vail - 40
    Hudon - 89

If you look at those numbers - didn't do too poorly
    Setting up the play.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    I'm super happy with Galchenyuk, Collberg, and Thrower through the first two rounds.

Bozon is a great story, son of the first France-born player in the league (who always wanted to play for Montreal, but never did). 6', 175lbs. He's apparently fast, and fearless. Strong work ethic, and good defensively.

Vail is a decently big kid, 6' 195lbs. As far as I can tell, he's a good defensive forward. Poor skater, but loads of character. Could become a solid third/fourth line guy.

Hudon was the QMJHL rookie of the year last year (2010/11). Fast skater, 5'10 170lbs. Accurate, but weak shot. Undersized, but skilled. Not bad for a 5th rounder.

I don't know much at all about Nystrom, but he's a 6th round pick. Anything could happen there.

It's almost like the Habs were using McKeen's draft guide to make their picks:

Galchenyuk - 2
    Collberg - 14
    Thrower - 38
    Bozon - 45
    Vail - 40
    Hudon - 89

If you look at those numbers - didn't do too poorly
    Thanks for the update. I did notice that the Habs were able to get great value with their picks. They've been drafting well of late under Gainey/Gauthier so this adds to a group that is already very good.

I'm not sure if we will see Galchenyuk in the NHL this year though after missing most of his draft year. It may be a wise idea to take the Huberdeau approach with him. That unfortunately leaves a spot open for this year next to Plekanec and Gionta. Word is that they want to fill that spot and it will probably not be Bourque lining up on line 2.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Thanks for the update. I did notice that the Habs were able to get great value with their picks. They've been drafting well of late under Gainey/Gauthier so this adds to a group that is already very good.

I'm not sure if we will see Galchenyuk in the NHL this year though after missing most of his draft year. It may be a wise idea to take the Huberdeau approach with him. That unfortunately leaves a spot open for this year next to Plekanec and Gionta. Word is that they want to fill that spot and it will probably not be Bourque lining up on line 2.
    Yeah, like I said earlier, I really feel that we had a pretty good draft.

I would definitely leave Galchenyuk in the Junior for another year (unless of course he tear it in the camp and in his first 9 games). Being patient with him will be the key here.

So we're going for Parise too??? Haha!

Yeah I've that as well regarding what you said about Bourque not being on the 2nd line. I wouldn't mind a 3rd line of him, Eller and Moan.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    I would definitely leave Galchenyuk in the Junior for another year (unless of course he tear it in the camp and in his first 9 games). Being patient with him will be the key here.
    I really like the idea of giving him nine games, because I don't see this roster holding him back from getting decent ice time. Unless he looks lost in camp, I'd like to see him get a few NHL games before getting sent back to dominate the World Juniors.

Yeah I've that as well regarding what you said about Bourque not being on the 2nd line. I wouldn't mind a 3rd line of him, Eller and Moan.
    I think Moen is leaving for another team. He will be able to get 2+ million from another team. That is not something I want the Habs to pay. He only started putting the puck in the net during a contract year. He is a good heart and soul guy but I think better value can be had elsewhere. Alternatively, Louis Leblanc could play that spot on the third line.

Dobber Sports Giant

I really like the idea of giving him nine games, because I don't see this roster holding him back from getting decent ice time. Unless he looks lost in camp, I'd like to see him get a few NHL games before getting sent back to dominate the World Juniors.
    Exactly! I really like the "let's dominate the previous league before" strategy.

I think Moen is leaving for another team. He will be able to get 2+ million from another team. That is not something I want the Habs to pay. He only started putting the puck in the net during a contract year. He is a good heart and soul guy but I think better value can be had elsewhere. Alternatively, Louis Leblanc could play that spot on the third line.
    Yeah, Moan could be headed elsewhere (especially at this price), but Bergevin said a few times that he would like to bring him back. Leblanc can definitely step in his shoes, but again I would like the like the "let's dominate the previous league before" strategy with him as well.

Administrator

Yeah, Moan could be headed elsewhere (especially at this price), but Bergevin said a few times that he would like to bring him back. Leblanc can definitely step in his shoes, but again I would like the like the "let's dominate the previous league before" strategy with him as well.
    With the amount of money thrown at Chris Kelly, I think Moen will get north of 2 million for 2-3 years. I would prefer waiting to see which UFA does not get a contract and finally brings down his demands. Sort of like Jeff Halpern. The short-term investment would give the team the option of finally promoting Leblanc full time whenever he's ready, as opposed to a multi-year deal for Moen.

Dobber Sports Giant

With the amount of money thrown at Chris Kelly, I think Moen will get north of 2 million for 2-3 years. I would prefer waiting to see which UFA does not get a contract and finally brings down his demands. Sort of like Jeff Halpern. The short-term investment would give the team the option of finally promoting Leblanc full time whenever he's ready, as opposed to a multi-year deal for Moen.
    Oh definitely! That's what I'm really afraid of... We are in a funny position where we'll have a couple of guys ready in 1-2 years so Bergevin need to make sure there will be space for them when they'll be ready.

Administrator

Dobber Sports Giant

Ryan White signed for one year!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399294

1 year, 1 way for $687,500. Definitely not bad as I would like to see him over the course of a full season.

Administrator

Ryan White signed for one year!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399294

1 year, 1 way for $687,500. Definitely not bad as I would like to see him over the course of a full season.
    That is practically minimum wage so you can't really expect anything different. He made 625,000 last year. This is a 10% raise.

Dobber Sports Giant

That is practically minimum wage so you can't really expect anything different. He made 625,000 last year. This is a 10% raise.
    Yeah, I know that this is the minimum wage. I kind of liked what I saw from him over the past two years, but this was with minimal games played. He's probably at maximum a 3.5 line guy, but I like his style of play.

Administrator

Yeah, I know that this is the minimum wage. I kind of liked what I saw from him over the past two years, but this was with minimal games played. He's probably at maximum a 3.5 line guy, but I like his style of play.
    I think he's too reckless to play 82 games, much like Steve Begin a few years ago. He's perfect 4th line material with the upside of a Dorsett-type.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think he's too reckless to play 82 games, much like Steve Begin a few years ago. He's perfect 4th line material with the upside of a Dorsett-type.
    Yeah, if he can mature a bit and continue to develop well, I definitely see that Dorsett-type of player in the near future.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey, it has been a while that I did bot bothered you with my "What will the Habs lineup will look like in three years" thing. Following what is generally considered a pretty good draft by the Habs, I thought I would update it. This lineup only include the prospects already in the Habs pipeline, and it does not take into account any future draftee or free agent signed by Montreal. It is simply a way to get a sense of what the future of the Habs will look like after that mini-rebuild.

Here is your 2014-15 Montreal Canadiens!

(For the purposes of the exercice, I ignored the remaining years of Plekanec, Bourque (2) and Cole (1), since they might not be there when the window will open for the Habs)

Goalies:
    Price
    Who cares

- Price will probably be signed to a long term contract, so the future in nets looks bright.

Defense:
    Gorges-Subban
    Tinordi-Beaulieu
    Emelin-Thrower

In the mix (Greg Pateryn, Mac Bennett, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz)

- The Habs boast a pretty solid group of prospects on defense. Even if they don't all pan out, there is solid depth in the system. There is also a great mix of size, toughness and puck moving skills.

Forwards:
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-
    Gallagher-Galchenyuk-
    Leblanc-Eller-
    White-

In the mix (Collberg, Bozon, Vail, Kristo, Quailer, Bournival, Avtsin, Nattinen, Holland, Archambault, Pribyl, Dumont, Hudon)

- Pieces start to fall in place, but this is still the area of weakness of the organization. The recent acquisitions (Collberg, Bozon, Vail) are highly regarded, but the rest of the offensive prospects are tagged with question marks. Nevertheless, the situation improved dramatically since the last draft, with the acquisition of Galchenyuk.

With four picks in the first two rounds in next year draft, the situation should improve again. Give more picks to Timmins, he'll find the talents.

Did you know: Thrower and Collberg were the first second-round draft picks since 2008 for the Habs!!