Page 9 of 606 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 509 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Thanks Eric, just acquired him in my sig (favorite) league for Horton, as my trading partner thought he was injured last night. Good to grab the info here and in the injury thread for reassurance. Hope he's back on Tuesday.
    He's a streaky guy and is probably due for a hot streak that begins sometime in the next 5-10 games. I think you came out about even in this trade as Cammy is a bit safer to finish with a good point total but could also get hit by the injury bug. In fantasy hockey Horton is one of my least favorite players. Such a huge disappointment.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

As a follow-up on the Cammalleri situation, from TSN Ice Chips:

Lars Eller will return after being a healthy scratch for three games to replace Mike Cammalleri, who has flu-like symptoms. -TSN
    Practice Lines

Forwards:
    Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
    Eller - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
    Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche
    Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

Defencemen:
    Hamrlik - Wisniewski
    Gill - Subban
    Spacek - Weber

Obviously this implies Alex Picard will be a scratch (-2 last game).

Administrator

I was listening to NHL Home Ice on my newly installed XM Radio and they announced that Alex Auld will be in goal tonight vs the NY Rangers.

Edit: It's back-to-back games which is why Price gets the night off. He gets to face the Pens tomorrow.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; January 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Administrator

Carey Price has been named to the NHL all-star game. With 2 years of added maturity and with the game far from Montreal, I really hope things turn out better for Carey this time around. He deserves this honor.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Rangers 1

This was an alright game. The flow was not great but the Canadiens were the superior team for the most part, even though it was far from spectacular on both sides. On the plus side, they outshot the opposition 38-26, even though a lot of that was from the perimeter. Defensively they tend to get trapped quite often but somehow keep the shots against to a minimum.

On to the individual analysis...

Alex Auld: IMO the job of the backup is to make sure teammates and coaches aren't thinking "Damn I wish Price was in net tonight". He was solid today. Nothing cheap went in. The lone goal came when Dubinsky skated around Gill and had a clear shot from the slot. This kind of work will help Price get some rest down the stretch.

Lars Eller: He returned to the lineup after multiple healthy scratches and was not good at all. Took a dumb holding penalty early where he basically horse-collared the defender to the ground. In the NFL that's 15 yards. In the NHL that limits you to 6 minutes of ice time.

Mathieu Darche: Player of the game. Excellent grinding and scored the first goal (Yahoo has Spacek with the goal but this will change) crashing the net. Had a few other nice chances and even made a sprawling save in front of Auld during a series of NYR scoring chances. He's a very nice shot in the arm for the team right now since the offence has gone COLD.

Benoit Pouliot: Plays very well opposing Darche. Scored the game winner by sniping a shot from a tough angle. Bad goal allowed by Lundqvist but that's still a precise shot putting it right under the bar. Like so many players, if only he could play like this every game...

Max Pacioretty: Not much here in terms of performance, but it is worth noting that he had 21:53 in ice time. That's insane!

One major concern is the lack of scoring. The loss of Markov is really starting to be felt as the team has come back down to earth. Consistency from Kostitsyn and Pouliot would do wonders. Unfortunately that just won't happen.

Administrator

Default Penguins 5, Canadiens 2

Wow, what a rough finish to this one. The first half of the game was all good and then the Habs totally lost their discipline and took penalty after penalty down the stretch. Really dumb penalties like high sticking and too many men. The Pens capitalized with 4 goals on the power play. Enough said. Individually here's what I saw tonight:

Carey Price: 5 goals allowed but I'd say 4 of them were high quality shots. 3 of them were precise corner shots and one came after a nasty scrum for the puck in front of the net. The one bad goal caught him low blocker side. Probably should have been stopped. He made a lot of outstanding saves though. In terms of high quality chances the Pens generated them with abundance and Price played hard.

Benoit Pouliot: Took 3 bad penalties and really contributed to the meltdown. He's extremely bi-polar and tonight he was awful. Didn't impress in his promotion to the top line (more on that later).

PK Subban: Looks a lot more comfortable lately. Had an assist tonight and did a good job moving the puck. Received 5 for fighting but to call that a fight is an embarrassment. The two guys basically stood there and then fell to the ice. Just found it funny to look in the boxscore and actually see the majors.

David Desharnais: Deflected a Subban shot for his first NHL goal. The way he plays you can tell he's a keeper. He'll find work in the league. Very tenacious and doesn't stop hustling which really helps undersized players. Saw time on both special team units which is a good sign.

Hal Gill: He must be playing hurt because the last 3 games players have been able to skate around him at will. Could be lack of positioning and concentration that make him vulnerable but he used to find a way to get back on time. Not so much lately.

Additional notes:
    -Despite the 5-2 score most Habs players finished +1. Even strength they had more goals but still weird to observe.
    -Pouliot/Darche were promoted to Plekanec's line while Kostitsyn/Eller were demoted to the 4th. This change worked last game and looked promising early in the game as Plekanec scored. Late in the game nothing worked so it's tough to hold anything against them.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

From what I caught of the game fatigue from the back to back really played a factor. The dump penalties for one, absolutely no pressure on the penalty kill or maybe they were just defeated by that point.
    10 team Keeper, Roto G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP SOG: W, GAA SV%, SO, Keep 4Fwd, 2D, 1G
    Start 3c, 3 LW, 3 RW, flex Fwd, 5D 2G

C: H. Sedin(K), m. Koivu, Plekanec, Galchenyuk,
    LW: D. Sedin(K), B. Ryan(K), Burrows,
    RW: St Louis(K), Hornquist, c neil, alfredson, kassian
    D: Subban (K), Fowler(K), Schultz, Kronwall, dillon
    G; price(k), ward, hiller

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PriceCrazed View Post
    From what I caught of the game fatigue from the back to back really played a factor. The dump penalties for one, absolutely no pressure on the penalty kill or maybe they were just defeated by that point.
    Yeah the b2b combined with the string of penalties did them in. It's tough to watch because if they stayed smart and didn't commit every dumb penalty in the book they had a chance to win the game. I thought things were pretty even until the 2nd intermission.

Administrator

Not sure if I'll do a game report today because I'm a fan of the Atlanta Falcons and they have a big playoff game tonight but I'll try to catch the CBC replay. In the meantime here's the projected roster as per TSN.

Max Pacioretty is a game-time decision due to the flu, although he says he feels well enough to play. - TSN

Saturday's Projected Lines vs. Rangers

Forwards:
    Pacioretty (if healthy) - Gomez - Gionta
    Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
    Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche
    Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

Defencemen:
    Hamrlik - Wisniewski
    Gill - Subban
    Spacek - Weber

Goaltenders:
    Price - starting
    Auld

Scratches:
    Eller
    Picard

Administrator

I'm very heartbroken that the Falcons lost and I didn't end up watching a replay of the Habs/Rangers game. Did anyone watch the game and see things that could make their way into a game report?

Administrator

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/313360.html

According to RDS Pouliot and Wisnieswski will probably miss tonight's game with the flu. The team is being hit hard with the flu bug as Cammalleri and Pacioretty have also recently been sick. Alex Auld gets the start tonight. Price is a go tomorrow.

Canadiens' lineup:
    Forwards
    Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
    Cammalleri-Plekanec-Eller
    Pyatt-Desharnais-Darche
    Moen-Halpern-Kostitsyn

Dmen
    Gill-Subban
    Weber-Picard
    Hamrlik-Spacek

Administrator

Default Flames 4, Canadiens 5 (OT)

Wow that was a crazy game. Alex Auld had a rare start and gave up a 4-0 lead. Carey Price came in with the game tied and picked up the 'W' in overtime. In terms of play I like the energy a lot more than I did during the holiday period. There is a lot more chemistry and it seems everyone is giving an honest effort. Nobody going through the motions which is a huge plus. I'll break this one down individually...

Alex Auld: In my game report following Auld's last start I stated that the backup's job is to not make fans and teammates wish the starter was in there. Well tonight Auld was bad. He played way too deep in his net and aside from the four goals, several others hit the post or crossbar. He wasn't in command of the crease and didn't do a good job tracking the puck. His goals allowed include the last two which should have been stopped. So far he has started 6 games and if I recall correctly he was only good for three of them. Not a very good batting average for someone that wants to start more games down the stretch.

Mike Cammalleri: A lot of energy tonight (a recurring theme throughout the roster). Sniped his 13th goal on a breakaway coming out of the penalty box. He produced a lot of offence and used his speed to his advantage.

Andrei Kostitsyn: Looks rejuvenated. When he has his mind set on attacking the opposition he is a very dangerous player. His goal tonight was a great example of that as he came in down the wing and used Pardy (A.K.A world's greatest pylon) as he moved the puck into scoring position and took a precise shot short side. Wasn't the best goal allowed by Kipper, but the move by Andrei is what is important.

PK Subban: Outstanding game tonight. He's still a high risk player but the majority of the time he doesn't make a costly play. Even when he jumps into the play and makes a mistake he hustles back which avoids odd-man rushes. His OT goal was a very good wrist shot under the bar after he jumped into the play and took a pass from Gomez. For his efforts he earned the #1 star of the game. Stat of the game: He played 27 minutes!

Lars Eller: Another positive review. He looked like a future scoring line player tonight. He fit right in next to Plekanec and Cammalleri. He doesn't show it every night but he definitely has the skill set to be up there with the big boys. More of a skilled playmaker than goal scorer though.

James Wisniewski: I noted this morning that he was not in practice and would probably sit out tonight with the flu. He did play after all but probably should have sit out. He is clearly very sick. He didn't have a good skating stride and his acceleration was especially slow. He was limited to 19:45 and it was for good reason. The bring side for poolies is once he's over the virus there's no reason why he won't be back up to 23 minutes.

Note: When I list pre-game lineups, I am listing what is on RDS or TSN on game day. That is the practice lineup. I noticed a couple times lately the actual lineup was different than what I wrote, which sucks but that's how it goes with players that are game-time decisions. Just mentioning this because if you're trying to set your roster look around for more up-to-date information.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; January 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

I was pleasently suprised tonight wiht my win.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    I was pleasently suprised tonight wiht my win.
    LOL congratulations! I've been caught by that so many times in daily change pools. You sit the guy that isn't starting yet he picks up the W. But glad it worked out in your case.

Administrator

Default Alexei Emelin

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/313401.html

Found an interesting piece on Canadiens' prospect Alexei Emelin (french article). He remains team property but is at an impasse with the team regarding signing a rookie contract. The Canadiens want him to spend time with AHL Hamilton while Emelin wants to return to Russia should he fail to secure a NHL roster spot.

From my own point of view, both sides are being stubborn about this. I would sign him to a ELC just for the sake of signing him. They're not using him anyway. Give the man a shot in training camp and if he doesn't make the team send him back home. Then repeat procedure the following training camp. Maybe he attracts a trade from someone willing to give him a spot on the main roster. Otherwise he just stays in Russia and eventually becomes a wasted asset.

It's worth noting that Emelin is having by far his strongest pro season with 18 points (7 goals) in 42 KHL games.