Page 8 of 606 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 108 508 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    How does Spacek not get scratched?
    They're down to 6 dmen on the pro roster with the injuries to Hamrlik and Gorges. Festerling becomes #7 I would imagine.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    They're down to 6 dmen on the pro roster with the injuries to Hamrlik and Gorges. Festerling becomes #7 I would imagine.
    Ahhhh....I assumed Hamrlik was just a healthy scratch. I didn't know he was hurt. Thanks

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Ahhhh....I assumed Hamrlik was just a healthy scratch. I didn't know he was hurt. Thanks
    Sorry, should have been more specific the first time, Hammer has a foot injury and missed two days of practice earlier this week. I don't think it's serious because he has practiced since but couldn't make it today.

Administrator

Default Penguins 1, Canadiens 2

Well that was a nail biter of a game. Contrary to what the game shots indicate the Habs generated a lot of scoring chances. Most of the time they missed the net or hit someone's shin pad. Despite the chances there were a lot of negatives to go along with the pluses. I'll cover that in the individual analysis.

Andrei Kostitsyn: I want to personally tell him that just because he was mentored by Kovalev doesn't mean he has to play like Kovalev. The highs with him put him at the level of a top line forward. The lows are going to land him in the press box. He's not getting anything done and is playing a huge role in bringing down the production of his linemates.

Mike Cammalleri: He kind of worries me right now. He's very frustrated right now and it shows. Too many blind passes that go to the opposing team. And when he does make a good move with the puck he misses the net most of the time. I'd like to see him get his nose dirty a bit around the net. If the goals aren't coming he can do things to make others better. At least that would help him mix it up and be less predictable.

Darche/Desharnais/Pouliot: They were the best trio tonight and generated the team's only goal tongiht. I like the quickness and tenacity along the boards by Desharnais. His lack of size is apparent often but he tries hard and when he has a chance to pounce on the puck he goes all out. Pouliot scored the regulation goal and added the shootout winner on a sick Forsberg-like one hand deke.

Carey Price: I don't want to say he's fully back from his slump yet, but that was one great game. He looked comfortable all game and gave the Pens very little to shoot at. The biggest sign for me is how well he handled the puck. He did not panic and turn it over. Was also very good in the shootout stopping every shooter sent his way.

Defensive play: This is an area of concern for the team, espeically in the long run. When they get trapped in their own end it's an adventure trying to get the puck out. From the regular core Markov, Gorges and Hamrlik are out. Hamrlik's injury doesn't appear to be serious but then Spacek hurt his arm crashing into the post and didn't return from what I saw. It's going to be a tough task but it's time for the younger guys like Subban and Weber to take charge and reach the next level. I don't believe they will acquire another defenceman so it's up to the guys there to get it done. If anything they may pluck one off the waiver wire (Commodore if he hits re-entry waivers).

Dobber Sports Icon

Pouliot shootout goal and cocky Price reaction after gamewinner shootout save: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgxKV4zOX8

Good to see Carey stone the Pens!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Pouliot shootout goal and cocky Price reaction after gamewinner shootout save: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgxKV4zOX8

Good to see Carey stone the Pens!
    It was a great goal. Thanks for posting.

Was anyone else really annoyed by the RDS channel posting the Habs vs Islanders on their scoreboard? Or how about cutting out to the studio in the middle of the Cammalleri shootout attempt? BRUTAL! Get on the ball guys.

Dobber Sports Icon

Was anyone else really annoyed by the RDS channel posting the Habs vs Islanders on their scoreboard? Or how about cutting out to the studio in the middle of the Cammalleri shootout attempt? BRUTAL! Get on the ball guys.

Interesting you mention that. I was in Montreal with the family over the holidays and was watching the Habs Panthers game - after the 3rd they cut to the studio where Carbo was giving analysis, and, woops, next thing you know they announce that the Wis scored in overtime to give the Habs the win, and what's worse, they don't even show the goal until much later!! I was flabbergasted, I could see that happening in a limited hockey market (e.g., southern US) where they switch to another sport or something, but I was amazed that RDS would do that during OT of a Habs game - I can't imagine that the rabid Habs fanbase will allow that to continue, they must have received thousands of complaints.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Interesting you mention that. I was in Montreal with the family over the holidays and was watching the Habs Panthers game - after the 3rd they cut to the studio where Carbo was giving analysis, and, woops, next thing you know they announce that the Wis scored in overtime to give the Habs the win, and what's worse, they don't even show the goal until much later!! I was flabbergasted, I could see that happening in a limited hockey market (e.g., southern US) where they switch to another sport or something, but I was amazed that RDS would do that during OT of a Habs game - I can't imagine that the rabid Habs fanbase will allow that to continue, they must have received thousands of complaints.
    That time they lost all communication with the cameras. I think everyone lost the feed because even the online scoreboards were late updating the goal.

Administrator

Not really news, but something interesting. PK Subban and Andrei Markov had a bet on the WJC final where the loser had to wear a shirt representing the other nation. Subban lost and had to wear a RUSSIA shirt.

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...=1143&id=91127

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is it wrong of me that I was hoping Spacek broke his arm when he fell I agree with your thought on claiming Commodore if comes back via re-entry waivers, not a lot of options out there to replace Gorges. However, replacing Spacek can be done with one call to Hamilton.

Another comment you made that I was thinking of while watching the game was how much better Carey handled the puck, belying his sharpness returning. In the Atlanta game I was nervous every time the Thrashers had pressure, as Carey's body language just didn't seem to show he was in control, whereas last night he looked dominant again. It was obvious the team really needed some home cooking and I hope this is a sign they're getting back in the zone again.

As a last thought, I know it's been said a few times by others, but I really like how Wiz has fit in so smoothly. I don't know if it's related or just coincidence, but PK has been back to last springs form since James' arrival.

Thanks again for the analysis Eric.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Is it wrong of me that I was hoping Spacek broke his arm when he fell I agree with your thought on claiming Commodore if comes back via re-entry waivers, not a lot of options out there to replace Gorges. However, replacing Spacek can be done with one call to Hamilton.

Another comment you made that I was thinking of while watching the game was how much better Carey handled the puck, belying his sharpness returning. In the Atlanta game I was nervous every time the Thrashers had pressure, as Carey's body language just didn't seem to show he was in control, whereas last night he looked dominant again. It was obvious the team really needed some home cooking and I hope this is a sign they're getting back in the zone again.

As a last thought, I know it's been said a few times by others, but I really like how Wiz has fit in so smoothly. I don't know if it's related or just coincidence, but PK has been back to last springs form since James' arrival.

Thanks again for the analysis Eric.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah Commodore would be an alright pickup but not at his full salary. I don't think the Jackets would put him on re-entry waivers since they can probably find a trade partner and take some salary back. But should he become available for half price he becomes a real bargain.

When Price is on, you know it within the first few minutes of the game. Last night he was on. He was calm and focused. The stickhandling errors do correlate with his worse performances and that's all just a collective lack of focus. Part of it is the heavy work load taking a toll and it's also learning to be a workhorse goalie (he's still 23). I liked the Dryden pose at the end of the shootout.

I actually thought last night's game was the worse one yet for Wiz. He was still good but had some rough turnovers and appeared to be less sharp at making decisions than in past games. I feel like he moves the puck at an elite level but like Dobber, Angus and others say, the difference between the very good players and the elite is consistency. If they can re-sign him it will probably cost between 4 and 4.5 million but I think it's money well spent. He's only 26 and still has fresh legs so it would be less risky to give him a 3-4 year deal. I know he's an injury risk but he also brings a lot of good to the table.

Glad you're enjoying this.

Administrator

According to TSN ice chips...

Forwards:
    Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
    Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
    Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche
    Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

Defencemen:
    Spacek - Wisniewski
    Gill - Subban
    Hamrlik - Picard

Goaltenders:
    Price - starting
    Auld

That puts Weber in the press box.

Administrator

Default Bruins 2, Canadiens 3 (OT)

Will the real Habs please stand up?

Terrible game to watch with a memorable finish. Some of the sloppiness I've been mentioning in other game reports were certainly there tonight. Overall what's important is taking away the clean win from the Bruins in regulation and stealing another point in OT. On to the individual analysis.

Mike Cammalleri: Wasn't having a good game but the noteworthy thing is he left the game with an injury. He skated a couple shifts after being hurt so I assume it's upper body (he was skating fine).

James Wisniewski: A mixed bag tonight. He does a good job generating offence but he's also prone to some bad giveaways that put the team in tough spots. It's worth noting that he and Picard were on the ice for both goals against, although the first goal was the result of a Picard giveaway and the second was a weak effort by Gomez to prevent the shot. Made up for it with a great play on the game tying goal where he faked out the forward and took a clear wrist shot on goal. Gionta made the deflection.

Gomez/Gionta/Cammalleri/Plekanec/Kostitsyn: I mention all of them together because they're paid the big money. They have the history of good production and they're expected to be the offensive leaders. For large parts of the last dozen games some of them have disappeared. Tonight Gomez was awful before his fluke goal went in on Thomas. Anyway, my point is that although you can't score every night it's up to them to step up and have more of an impact on games. That's what their paycheck implies. Too much standing around and not enough getting involved to make a difference.

Mathieu Darche: Found himself on the Gomez line after the coach juggled lines during the 2nd intermission due to poor play and the Cammalleri injury. He assisted on the Gomez goal but perhaps more importantly he scored a disallowed goal earlier in the 3rd (high stick) that seemed to really light a fire on the Habs' bench. Does a really good job sticking his nose around the net and really becomes valuable in games like this one.

Carey Price: No complaints here. He had a strong game. And again he was good handling the puck and the one time he made a mistake clearing the puck he made a quick save to neutralize the threat. He gets full kudos for keeping the score 2-0 and giving the team a chance to get back in the game.

Administrator

Forward Michael Cammalleri left Saturday's contest against the Bruins in the second period because of flu-like symptoms and did not return to the game. - TSN

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Forward Michael Cammalleri left Saturday's contest against the Bruins in the second period because of flu-like symptoms and did not return to the game. - TSN
    Thanks Eric, just acquired him in my sig (favorite) league for Horton, as my trading partner thought he was injured last night. Good to grab the info here and in the injury thread for reassurance. Hope he's back on Tuesday.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,