Page 7 of 606 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 507 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Festerling and a 5th for Lapierre. Not really much analysis to be done here. Depth for depth. Festerling will probably go to Hamilton (not sure about his waiver status).

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

B.Festerling + 5th rounder
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Default Canadiens 3, Panthers 2

Here's a reduced new year's eve edition of the Canadiens' post-game report. This was a good game overall. After falling behind 2-0 they DID NOT give up and fired a combined 36 shots in the 2nd and 3rd periods to complete the comeback. The RDS channel lost its signal from the game before overtime so I did not see the winning goal. Here's some individual analysis:

Alex Auld: Solid performance on a night where Carey Price needed a break. No weak goals and simply did his job. That's what you want from a backup.

Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta: Back on fire tonight. I thought they were the best group leading the charge especially at the end of the 3rd when they were pushing for goal #3. Good energy and creativity. The good news here is Pacioretty is likely staying in the NHL.

James Wisniewski: Had a point on both power play goals that tied the game, including his first goal in a Habs' uniform. Then he scored the winning goal in overtime. His shot selection helps the power play a lot. If a defender is in his shooting lane then he knows there's an open pass elsewhere. When he shoots, he puts accuracy and power on his shot. Subban and Weber take note.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Administrator

Default Max Lapierre Interview - 2nd intermission

Just wanted to follow up on the Maxim Lapierre situation. He did an interview on RDS that aired during the 2nd intermission of the Habs game last night. He talked about everything that led to his trade. It sounds like he wants more ice time and after meeting with coaches the mutual decision was that he might be better served moving to another team where he might have more of a chance to shine.

I had written about him being a capable 25 point player as early as this season given the right situation. With Pacioretty, Darche and Pouliot nailing down spots in the top 9 Max was buried on the 4th line and did not get enough ice time to do much more than grind the opposition. He has a decent set of skills but it does not translate enough on the score sheet and he does take dumb penalties.

I hear some who say the Habs did not get enough in return. What do they expect??? Nobody ever pays a premium for a 4th line player. He's been under 12 minutes in each game since Dec. 15. Other teams notice this as well. They know he's far from an impact player. The only reason the Ducks even gave a draft pick is because he does have a bit of a scoring touch that could translate into 12-15 goals for them.

Administrator

Default Thrashers 4, Canadiens 3 (OT)

This was overall a great game for the Habs despite the loss. They controlled the play from start to finish. Pavelec was outstanding and that was the difference. The Thrashers were more opportunistic (story of their season) and won the game on a power play in overtime. On to the individual analysis.

Carey Price: An up and down game. I like how he ended the game though. After the Habs tied the game he made some key saves including a few during the penalty kill in OT before finally surrendering the GWG. I like his combativeness despite some rough moments. My biggest complaint is actually his stickhandling as most of his passes are going to the opposing team. But the team is playing better and this should help Price tremendously.

PK Subban: Very refreshing. He was back to being PK. He was able to create a ton of scoring chances and had a few rushes that nearly resulted in goals. He's getting involved in the play and was rewarded with a goal.

James Wisniewski: Add two power-play assists. He makes very good passes that put players in a position to get scoring chances. His first assist was especially great as he hit Plekanec skating at full speed which allowed him to split the D and score. Defensively he's only average but covers for a lot of his mistakes with good skating.

David Desharnais: I like the energy. He has good speed and digs well for pucks along the boards. Only played 13 minutes in a depth role so he didn't have much chance to showcase his skills but if Kostitsyn continues to suck (more on this later) he could see some chances on the top line. Something to keep an eye on.

Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta: The trio combined for 21 shots. A great showing for them. Each player had a point (Gionta tied the game in the 3rd). The 2nd line has not been an issue in a long time. This is the best case scenario for Pacioretty this season as he's riding shotgun with two player that have great chemistry.

Andrei Kostitsyn: My dad and I call him Mr. Useless sometimes. It's a nickname we gave him last season. He forgets how little he needs to do to be effective in a game. When he's on he's great and when he's off he forgets how to play hockey. If only he'd keep the puck on net when he shoots from a sharp angle or didn't try to constantly make the difficult pass he'd be a much better player. Anyway, enough ranting. He sucked today.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

one thought - Jaroslav Spacek is terrible. He makes so many mistakes as a veteran. He should be the odd man out on the backend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    one thought - Jaroslav Spacek is terrible. He makes so many mistakes as a veteran. He should be the odd man out on the backend.
    yeah, I cant stand him, but he's signed this year and the next so short of buying him out we're stuck with him...no one is going to pay 3.8 mil for his 'services' (I use that word loosely)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Agreed. I've been writing about his poor play a lot, especially when paired with Hamrlik. I prefer Picard over Spacek personally but the coach has a stubbornness about veteran players.

Administrator

Default WJC Final: Louis Leblanc

With the Habs new being slow this week I thought I'd touch base on my thoughts about Canadiens' prospect Louis Leblanc during the gold medal game. Updates coming after each period. Go Canada Go!

First period: Very good along the boards. Very surprised with how well he does down low considering he's not overly big. Assisted on the 2nd goal by Carter Ashton.

Second period: Didn't see much from Leblanc. He did show a nice burst of speed trying to chase down a puck to prevent icing (falling short by a couple inches). I would expect to see more from him in the 3rd as they try to hang on to the lead.

Third Period: Leblanc wasn't out there much again. And when he was I barely noticed him. It's pretty amazing how a team that played so well for 40 minutes could become so sloppy at the end.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; January 5, 2011 at 9:55 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hey Eric.
    I know you're a habs fan but Leblanc was invisible this whole tournament, I think he needs another 1 or 2 years of College Hockey/AHL.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Hey Eric.
    I know you're a habs fan but Leblanc was invisible this whole tournament, I think he needs another 1 or 2 years of College Hockey/AHL.
    I wasn't implying that he's NHL ready. You're actually spot on in saying he's 2 years away. I'm thinking it might be even longer.

During the tournament I noticed him most on the PK and don't believe he was there to be one of the leading scorers. I did see a lot of the little things that translate to NHL success though.

Administrator

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/312682.html

RDS reports that Hamrlik is out and Picard replaces him. No mention of Gorges so I guess he's still out.

Dobber Sports Stud

Josh Gorges to have season ending knee surgery
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Josh Gorges to have season ending knee surgery
    I didn't see this post. Just started a new thread. Huge loss for les Habitant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/312682.html

RDS reports that Hamrlik is out and Picard replaces him. No mention of Gorges so I guess he's still out.
    How does Spacek not get scratched?