Page 589 of 606 FirstFirst ... 89 489 539 579 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 599 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,835 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Good or bad time to mention Edmonton is ranked 10th in Goals Against in the NHL this year?

Winnipeg 15th
    Montreal 16th
    Calgary 18th

Decent considering it's the highest scoring division.

(Leafs #8, but no one cares)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Caufield again!! WoW

Administrator

I guess it's a battle now?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

I love it. Can't wait for round 1.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Really. The Habs have beaten the Oilers 4 times this year and Toronto twice. Edmonton is a one line team with shitty goaltending. You can make comments about the Leafa all you want but it doesn’t change the fact that the Leafs are better than the Oilers and the Habs would rather play Edmonton in the first round.
    Two of those wins were at the start of the year when the Habs were on fire and the Oilers were bad. They split the last two games against Habs. They also split the last two games vs the Leafs. I'm also someone that weighs recent trends a lot more heavily entering playoffs. In a playoff series Habs can beat both so probably more of a toss up.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I love it. Can't wait for round 1.
    What am I saying....I didn't realize they already caught Winnipeg.

Dobber Sports Sage

I rather face the Leaf's round 1, than face them round 2 (after they have won a round already and gained confidence).
    Plus there's no guarantee Habs will even beat the Oilers, and I'd really want to see a Leafs vs Habs series

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I rather face the Leaf's round 1, than face them round 2 (after they have won a round already and gained confidence).
    Plus there's no guarantee Habs will even beat the Oilers, and I'd really want to see a Leafs vs Habs series
    I still think I'd rather face the Oilers in round 1. Given the Leaf's recent playoff track record the Habs may well see the Jets in round 2 that way...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

I still think I'd rather face the Oilers in round 1. Given the Leaf's recent playoff track record the Habs may well see the Jets in round 2 that way...
    Ha okay, good point.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    And the Leafs might win the Stanley Cup this year!
    They were my pick at the outset of the year given the divisional setup. It is their best chance.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If the team was as negative about everything as you are they would go 0-82.
    Teams can't afford to be realistic; they have to be short-sighted to have a chance.

Fans can be very realistic. Not sure negative is the way I'd call it with the body of evidence we have had this season. The Habs have had longer slides...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

I have a serious question for Habs fans. This is not a trolling post just to be clear. I am curious and wanting honest fan based opinions on what went wrong with the Habs this year?

Coming into the season, many (myself included) thought Marc Bergevin did an excellent job addressing many needs and holes this team had. They got bigger, they got deeper, they got faster, they found a capable backup goalie for Carey Price (we all know he gets hurt for a spell every year now) and they improved their D but yet they still scraped to get into the playoffs. I thought this team actually was the type of team built for the playoffs with their size and skill. They spend more time figuring out how to stop Toronto from scoring than they do how to score themselves.

So I guess my question is, where do they go from here? What else can Bergevin do to improve this team anymore than he already has? Montreal, like many other Canadian cities seem to struggle to attract FAs to come unless they overpay for them. Is Bergevin even going to be around after the playoffs to get another chance?

As I say, not a trolling post, just a straight up discussion post. Looking for opinions and info on what went wrong.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

What I'd do:
    - More responsibilities to Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, KK
    - Explore trades for Kuznetsov, Kessel (price and contract dependent), Kadri, Killorn, Tyler Johnson, Palat, Couture, Oloffson.

Obviously the trade targets are price and contract dependent, but I think the teams would all be open to trading them. I would think going to FA market to get the top offensive push they need is a waste of money, but trading for the potential top end talent (Couture, Kuz) or depth (Kessel, Kadri, Killor ect) is better value. Except MTL is loaded at RW...so maybe not Kessel (I'm thinking Kessel at 4-5mill for 1yr)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Your two points are good ones Olympic. I’d be cautious on the trade market with any young players though. The biggest problem with Montreal is generally a lack of talent coupled with the general philosophy of the organization. The French speaking thing holds them back. The inability to grab a nut and throw the kids out there and let them learn and start to carry the play holds them back. The continual trading for and/or signing of middle to bottom line players who are “dependable” but not particularly good holds them back. Because those are the players that constitute the line-up they need to play the “be conservative but counter-punch when able” style. Ducharme and Julien have proven to be the same for the most part. The problems with this team are well summed up by looking at the roster the staff chose for game one against Toronto. Their scouting and development system was terrible for much of the 2000s. They had and then fired an analytics guy. I don’t think they pay enough attention to that. What happened in 1993 is still in the back of everyone’s mind and they are trying to capture that lightning in a bottle again. But the players and the game have changed significantly since then. There is so much pressure in this market. Heck, it broke Jonathan Drouin this season. That’s terrible. It’s a game and he’s just a young man and he has to quit. That’s wrong. This management group sees that pressure and takes the wrong lessons from it. The fans don’t want to win 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 every night. We’ll take a bunch of 5-3 and 6-4 losses to let the young guys really get going and it eventually turns in to 5-3 and 6-4 wins. Which brings me to the last really big issue. Price and even more so Weber are past it. Weber’s minutes are a little more managed but he’s still playing too much and playing far too much on the power play. This team is not a meritocracy right now. Less so with Price as he’s clearly been quite good so far in the playoffs. But the Habs have these aging veterans and some really good but not quite there young players and a bunch of fair to middling middle aged NHL players and the whole thing just isn’t working. Bergevin tried to rebuild on the fly and it failed.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Your two points are good ones Olympic. I’d be cautious on the trade market with any young players though. The biggest problem with Montreal is generally a lack of talent coupled with the general philosophy of the organization. The French speaking thing holds them back. The inability to grab a nut and throw the kids out there and let them learn and start to carry the play holds them back. The continual trading for and/or signing of middle to bottom line players who are “dependable” but not particularly good holds them back. Because those are the players that constitute the line-up they need to play the “be conservative but counter-punch when able” style. Ducharme and Julien have proven to be the same for the most part. The problems with this team are well summed up by looking at the roster the staff chose for game one against Toronto. Their scouting and development system was terrible for much of the 2000s. They had and then fired an analytics guy. I don’t think they pay enough attention to that. What happened in 1993 is still in the back of everyone’s mind and they are trying to capture that lightning in a bottle again. But the players and the game have changed significantly since then. There is so much pressure in this market. Heck, it broke Jonathan Drouin this season. That’s terrible. It’s a game and he’s just a young man and he has to quit. That’s wrong. This management group sees that pressure in and takes the wrong lessons from it. The fans don’t want to win 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 every night. We’ll take a bunch of 5-3 and 6-4 losses to let the young guys really get going and it eventually turns in to 5-3 and 6-4 wins. Which brings me to the last really big issue. Price and even more so Weber are past it. Weber’s minutes are a little more managed but he’s still playing too much and playing far too much on the power play. This team is not a meritocracy right now. Less so with Price as he’s clearly been quite good so far in the playoffs. But the Habs have these aging veterans and some really good but not quite there young players and a bunch of fair to middling middle aged NHL players and the whole thing just isn’t working. Bergevin tried to rebuild on the fly and it failed.
    Interesting take. A good read.

You think Bergevin makes it to the draft or do you think they let him go? Do you think they continue with Ducharme or go another direction?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."