Page 55 of 606 FirstFirst ... 5 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 105 155 555 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Hal Gill is expected to return tonight. From TSN Ice Chips:

Forwards:
    Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
    Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
    Eller - Gomez - Moen
    Darche - Nokelainen - Palushaj

Defence:
    Gorges - Subban
    Gill- Weber
    Emelin - Diaz

Goaltenders:
    Price
    Budaj
    Frederic St-Denis is out of the lineup to make room for Gill.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Default Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 3 (SO)

After a terrible first period the Habs bounced back nicely to force overtime. It's nice to see the team not quit after showing very little urgency late in the game against the Bruins.

The first period saw a pair of bizarre goals put the team in an early hole. The first goal was a poorly-handled rebound that bounced on Alexei Emelin's leg and on about 36 other things before finally going in. Everyone looked bad on that play. The second goal should have never counted and the refs clearly blew the call. The puck was sitting on top of the net (should be an automatic whistle) and the Hurricanes player flipped it off the net (high stick - should be an automatic whistle). The puck was immediately passed around for the second Hurricanes goal.

The stud of the game is Lars Eller, who scored a shortie to put the team on the board in the second period. He added an assist on the game-tying goal in the third period. His ice time has been cut since Scott Gomez returned which is just wrong. Eller has done nothing wrong.

Speaking of Gomez, tonight he was back to his old habits. He was soft on the puck, fired blind passes in all directions and did not hustle back at all to help the defenders. He left the game with a mystery injury (lower body according to L'Antichambre) and did not return.

Brian Gionta was minus-3 but scored the game-winning goal in the shootout.

Carey Price had a pretty average game but was solid down the stretch. To me the mark of a great goalie is that you trust him to make the next save no matter what happened previously. He played a major role in the team getting back in the game.

Josh Gorges had an assist and now has nine points in 22 games. That scales up to 34 points in 82 games which is outstanding for a defensive player. That dollar figure keeps rising.

Hal Gill returned and played 22 minutes. It was nice to get some size and experience back in there.

Travis Moen scored his seventh goal to tie the game late. He typically starts hot and fades away as the season progresses but this year he might produce a few extra goals in what is a contract year for him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

is it wrong of me to be relieved Gomez is hurt again? He seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm afraid his days as an NHL Hockey Player are coming to an end
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Genius

I was hoping he left the ice because he was retiring from hockey
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bighabfan View Post
    is it wrong of me to be relieved Gomez is hurt again? He seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm afraid his days as an NHL Hockey Player are coming to an end
    I believe he will get bought out this summer. The savings along with Spacek being let go will allow the team to re-sign Gorges and Price while starting to re-shape the rest of the team. Even though the team does not score much I like the young core emerging up front. They should focus on that and beef up the D while guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi develop.

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    I was hoping he left the ice because he was retiring from hockey
    I said the exact same thing in a chat with b0ndon yesterday.

Administrator

I won't be able to see the game today. I work until 5PM eastern and it takes about 45 minutes to get home. I invite anyone to post thoughts on the game, otherwise there is no point posting an in-depth game report aside from summarizing the stats.

Dobber Sports Genius

Summarize the stats!!! do it!

This team needs a major shake up.

Iginla to montreal for leblanc, gomez and Kostitzin!
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Summarize the stats!!! do it!

This team needs a major shake up.

Iginla to montreal for leblanc, gomez and Kostitzin!
    -It was very telling that the Habs lost the game in the final two periods while being outshot 31-16 during that time frame.

-Petteri Nokelainen scored the lone goal for the Habs. If this isn't a sign of defeat I don't know what is.

-Carey Price: .917 in this game. That's right in line with his season numbers.

-Josh Gorges now has 10 points in 23 games.

-Alexei Emelin had another six hits. That's 41 hits in nine November games.

That's about all I have for now without having watched the game... lol.

Administrator

Default Penguins 4, Canadiens 3 (OT)

Lately I've been complaining about some of the games being rather boring. Tonight proved to be quite eventful. Two controversial incidents stand out - the Pacioretty hit on Letang and the overtime winner by Letang after Price had the puck covered. I'll cover both now before proceeding with the rest.

First, the Pacioretty hit on Letang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GuYJJgcIWc). Personally I do not like the hit but that's because I'm leaning towards the NHL cleaning its game up and I don't like blindside hits at all. But in the NHL I don't think it is a suspendable hit. He hit the head but also hit the shoulder. The hit actually reminds me of the one Ryan Malone put on Chris Campoli (both players lowered their heads prior to contact) which was deemed no suspension. I personally think this will be the outcome.

Next, the OT winner by Letang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqW8rWVDg0). This was clearly a blown call because the play should be whistled dead when Price covers the puck. The referee was on the opposite side of the net but countless times when the ref loses sight of the puck he blows the play dead. Somehow the play was allowed to continue and the Penguins won the game.

Even though the game ended like that, the better team still won. The Habs played an alright game but spent way too much time in its own end. There were many lacklustre clearing attempts that were blocked which sustained offensive possessions for the Penguins. At times I feel optimistic that things will be better once the injured players return but not I realize that the team is simply fragile. By the time Markov returns someone else will probably get hurt.

Don't let the stats fool you - Price was sensational tonight. He basically stole a point. Many of the Penguins' shots were of high quality and he did as much as he could to help the team win.

Mike Cammalleri has been terrible of late. He is probably playing injured but pain should not lead to laziness like we're seeing. He is constantly forcing passes into areas that are covered which creates easy turnovers. Sounds a lot like Gomez doesn't it?

Cammalleri was minus-2. Hal Gill, Yannick Weber and Tomas Plekanec were minus-3. Brian Gionta was minus-4. Everyone else was even or better. I think that pains a clear picture of who was on the ice when the pucks went in. I give Gill a bit of a pass because he was a shot-blocking machine early in the game.

PK Subban and Josh Gorges had a strong outing as the top defence pair. Nice work from both.

This is becoming a total cliche but the line of Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty was by far the best one tonight. I am glad to see the ice time tip in their favour as all three played in the 20-minute range. Cole was especially solid creating chances for himself and others. If he had a better scoring touch he would be among the league leaders right now because his speed and determination put him in positions to score all the time.

Andrei Kostitsyn returned to the lineup and played a good yet unspectacular game. His line with Lars Eller and Travis Moen was solid. Moen scored his eigth goal of the season.

Administrator

Three Canadiens' prospects are on the Canadian junior team selection camp roster: Michael Bournival, Brendan Gallagher and Nathan Beaulieu.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=54015

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry guys, have been busy and so didnt' have time to post any report on the game. A few thoughts though:

1. Eller. Man, is this guy good, he seems to have matured IMMENSELY since last season, building upon what was a nice end to last season. He has so much confidence with the puck now, and is even using his size effectively.

2. Cole. Speed to burn, and using it effectively. How many out there still crowing about this being "the worst signing since Redden"? I've always thought it was a very good signing, albeit a half million to much and a year too long. And we haven't even seen, yet, what this guy is going to be contributing when playoff hockey arrives (if the team can get back into playoff position, that is).

3. Price. Was great, composed, exactly what we need from him.

4. Letang hit. MaxPac should get a couple of games, reckless hit for sure. Letang's a beast though, coming back after that hit and a broken nose.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=603565

Campoli returns to practice, Markov nearing return...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Sorry guys, have been busy and so didnt' have time to post any report on the game. A few thoughts though:

1. Eller. Man, is this guy good, he seems to have matured IMMENSELY since last season, building upon what was a nice end to last season. He has so much confidence with the puck now, and is even using his size effectively.

2. Cole. Speed to burn, and using it effectively. How many out there still crowing about this being "the worst signing since Redden"? I've always thought it was a very good signing, albeit a half million to much and a year too long. And we haven't even seen, yet, what this guy is going to be contributing when playoff hockey arrives (if the team can get back into playoff position, that is).

3. Price. Was great, composed, exactly what we need from him.

4. Letang hit. MaxPac should get a couple of games, reckless hit for sure. Letang's a beast though, coming back after that hit and a broken nose.
    Thanks for the update. Ideally all of those blindside hits would be gone but in the context of the NHL I don't think this one should result in any games missed. It's basically the same deal as the Ryan Malone hit on Campoli. Letang did a lot to put himself in a bad position and Pacioretty caught a lot of body on the hit.

I don't like these hits but the NHL seems to feel differently. Instead of aiming for the body I think Pacioretty could have easily poke-checked him and altered the shot. Instead his goal was to deliver a big hit.

Administrator

Max Pacioretty receives 3 game suspension and as a result Louis Leblanc is called up.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...sion&Itemid=93

Administrator

The Pacioretty thing is fine on its own. What I don't like is how it stands up next to other non-suspensions.

Lucic on Miller?
    Malone on Campoli?
    Bogosian on Eakin?

And how does this one merit the same punishment as Deveaux on Fleischmann?

My take on Shanny is that I liked what he did early but the true test would come when the "purists" and "traditionalists" in influential positions start to whine and cry about being terrified of change. So far, consider me skeptical of this whole experiment.