Page 54 of 606 FirstFirst ... 4 44 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 64 104 154 554 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice recap Eric. Didn't see much of the game but the little I did see, Emelin looked really solid, bodes well.

On a side note, the authorities today finally confirmed that there will be no charges laid against Chara for the Pacioretty hit because there was enough evidence of "intent". What a fiasco, can't believe it took this much time to confirm. Embarrassing.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    On a side note, the authorities today finally confirmed that there will be no charges laid against Chara for the Pacioretty hit because there was enough evidence of "intent". What a fiasco, can't believe it took this much time to confirm. Embarrassing.
    It's basically a publicity stunt when it gets dragged on like that. There are tons of layers when it comes to those investigations and because it's a high-profile case the higher-ups love being part of the press releases that are made periodically. Just the amount of times this was posted on TSN (and other websites) proves my point. Everyone wants a piece of the publicity pie.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Also, Cammalleri looked SLOW last night. He is clearly being slowed down by whatever was bothering him. I am not sure if he is playing hurt or if he's just not up to full strength but something was wrong.

At one point he was out-skated down the ice by Jay Harrison for an icing. That is all you need to know.

Dobber Sports Icon

Heading to the Habs Isles at Nassau tonight with a bunch of co-workers, will report on the game. I'm particularly in seeing how Emelin follows up his solid game from last night, and whether the Habs can bring the same energy in the B2B.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Administrator

Heading to the Habs Isles at Nassau tonight with a bunch of co-workers, will report on the game. I'm particularly in seeing how Emelin follows up his solid game from last night, and whether the Habs can bring the same energy in the B2B.
    You also get to see Auld up-close.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 3, Islanders 4

I must say that the last week or so has been a great reminder to me about some of the problems that the NHL continues to struggle with. No, I don't mean the on-ice stuff, which is a whole other discussion.

As Habs fans we are spoiled to have over 21,000 fans screaming every night of the year. But in other cities there is no large crowd to speak of. It's sad to see a game where there are as many fans of the visiting team as there are of the home team. The lack of energy reminds me of playing floor hockey in the school gym. You get the echoes of all the hockey stuff but there is no "roar" from any spectators.

Anyways, back on topic. The defensive concerns that were masked last night versus the Hurricanes were very apparent tonight. The Habs gave up a lot of odd-man rushes and high-quality scoring chances time after time which put them in a lot of trouble. The Islanders are an inferior team and the last thing you want to do is give them life.

Peter Budaj made his third start of the season and was not very good. The first goal he allowed was the worst one after he mishandled the puck behind the net leading to an open-net goal. He was decent the rest of the way but did not make any of the saves needed to allow the team to crawl back into the game.

Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty both scored again. These two are the prototypical wingers who are big and fast and are very effective coming down the wing.

Tomas Plekanec has found his game. After a slow start he now has 18 points in 19 games. He had two assists tonight.

The group of young defencemen were ineffective tonight.

Dobber Sports Icon

Was at the game last night with a group of co-workers.

Bad result, but an entertaining game nonetheless, after an uglyish first period the game really picked up in the 2nd and especially the 3rd.

A few observations:

- Plekanec must, MUST, be taken off the point on the PP. He is obviously ill-suited for the role and would be much more effective off the half wall. You can tell he's uncomfortable and when he has the puck there it's almost as if he's immediately trying to dish it off rather than forcing the PK to work to open up scoring chances.

- Gomez, where to begin, watching him last night he reminded me of a soccer teammate of mine. This guy has speed to burn, but when the ball gets to his feet, the play dies - everyone on the team just kind of stops because he's so UNPREDICTABLE in one sense (not sure what he'll do next), and in other ways he's so PREDICTABLE (our guy will always try to dribble or slow down the play; Gomez will stickhandle and immediately take a shot). It's a travesty that he takes playing time away from more deserving players. He had more TOI than Eric Cole!!! Unbelievable, get rid of him soon, please, I can't even begin to imagine how we can spend some (or all) of that salary cap space if he is shedded.

- On Cole, man is he good, he's perfect for this team and the chemistry with Patches and Desharnais is undeniable. This is the obvious no 1 line on this team, at least right now, they were dangerous every time they were out there and Cole had a great hardworking goal.

- Desharnais drew a nice penalty with his speed breaking out of the defensive zone, he beat the two defenders and they had to take him down (my co-worker commented that it looked a little "divey" but I think it was a merited penalty).

- Coaching, what a bunch of morons, at the end of the game, Habs down 4-3, there's a PP with about 5 to go. Is Subban on the 1st unit? No. Is he on the 2nd unit? Yes, but he is the last guy to get out there so by the time he's on the ice there's very little time on the PP. Stupid, just stupid.

Administrator

- Plekanec must, MUST, be taken off the point on the PP. He is obviously ill-suited for the role and would be much more effective off the half wall. You can tell he's uncomfortable and when he has the puck there it's almost as if he's immediately trying to dish it off rather than forcing the PK to work to open up scoring chances.
    I maintain that only a handful of players can actually be effective playing out of position like that. Sometimes it works well overall but rarely is it the best utilization of the player. The Habs needs him up front taking face-offs and creating plays from the side-boards. I'd like to see Subban, Gorges, Weber and Diaz back there.

Administrator

Was at the game last night with a group of co-workers.

Bad result, but an entertaining game nonetheless, after an uglyish first period the game really picked up in the 2nd and especially the 3rd.

A few observations:

- Gomez, where to begin, watching him last night he reminded me of a soccer teammate of mine. This guy has speed to burn, but when the ball gets to his feet, the play dies - everyone on the team just kind of stops because he's so UNPREDICTABLE in one sense (not sure what he'll do next), and in other ways he's so PREDICTABLE (our guy will always try to dribble or slow down the play; Gomez will stickhandle and immediately take a shot). It's a travesty that he takes playing time away from more deserving players. He had more TOI than Eric Cole!!! Unbelievable, get rid of him soon, please, I can't even begin to imagine how we can spend some (or all) of that salary cap space if he is shedded.

- On Cole, man is he good, he's perfect for this team and the chemistry with Patches and Desharnais is undeniable. This is the obvious no 1 line on this team, at least right now, they were dangerous every time they were out there and Cole had a great hardworking goal.

- Desharnais drew a nice penalty with his speed breaking out of the defensive zone, he beat the two defenders and they had to take him down (my co-worker commented that it looked a little "divey" but I think it was a merited penalty).

- Coaching, what a bunch of morons, at the end of the game, Habs down 4-3, there's a PP with about 5 to go. Is Subban on the 1st unit? No. Is he on the 2nd unit? Yes, but he is the last guy to get out there so by the time he's on the ice there's very little time on the PP. Stupid, just stupid.
    This is a great game report. When the team loses it typically exposes a lot of the negatives on the team such as what was mentioned here. Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty and Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta were good but defensively they suffered big time which resulted in the loss.

I encourage others to chime in with game reports of their own. I know I am the main contributor to this thread but this is about the Habs. Agree or disagree, I want to hear it!

Dobber Sports Icon

On the Islanders, a few comments:

- Tavares is soooo good. Made a little ONE-HANDED backhand pass to Moulson that ended up in the net when Moulson's weak shot was deflected by Subban. Then he capitalized on a bobble at the redline along the far boards and BLEW BY the defenseman (I think it was Gorges or Diaz) to get a semi-break.

- Nielsen is such a good two-way player.

- Grabner remains dangerous, I really think Okposo will come back from these couple of scratches highly motivated and that line with Nielsen/Grabner will start to produce nicely.

- Streit is such a valuable player, controls the play at both ends and CALMS THINGS DOWN, which for a young team is so critical. Great choice as team captain.

- Hamonic is developing nicely, great size and poise.

Administrator

- Hamonic is developing nicely, great size and poise.
    He reminds me of a young Giordano. He has the size, skill and grit to be put out there in all situations.

Administrator

Default Rangers 0, Canadiens 4

Last game when the Habs beat the Hurricanes 4-0 I said it was more about the Canes being horrible than the Habs being good. Tonight was the same score but the conclusion is the exact opposite. The Habs played an outstanding game from start to finish against a red-hot Rangers team.

Tonight we saw a first. With about a minute left to play Scott Gomez received a standing ovation from the crowd. Including the playoffs, it has been 47 games since Gomez has scored a goal. But tonight was his best game in well over a year. He was all over the ice and had several scoring chances. He did not break the goal scoring slump but he had two assists. The fans appreciated his effort and let him know about it.

Carey Price made 17 saves for the shutout. He was not very busy and the vast majority of his saves were straight-on. The team did a great job clearing rebounds and preventing passing plays. Right now he is playing like the shots come to him in slow-motion. Everything looks easy.

Again, I'll call a spade a spade and give props to Tomas Plekanec for his work at the point on the power play. He kept it simple and it paid off. The team scored two power play goals (one by Plek, the other by Cole assisted by Plek). He played 23 minutes which is a high total for a forward.

Erik Cole was once again spectacular. That whole line was great once again but Cole is the engine that drives that machine. Ever since the drama with the coach he has been the best forward on the team. Tonight he scored a goal and added an assist (both on the PP) and was all over the place in the offensive zone.

Max Pacioretty shows signs that his wrist could be bothering him at times but he continues to put points on the board. This guy is simply amazing.

Yannick Weber had an assist tonight and is doing good work on the top PP unit. He is doing a good job positioning himself along the boards on the left side to unleash one-timers. They find the net often which is a good sign.

That's all for tonight as I am getting tired. Speed and determination were the deciding factors in the one. The Habs continue to find ways to win despite significant injuries. Hal Gill, Jaro Spacek, Andrei Kostitsyn and Andrei Markov were not in the lineup.

Administrator

Default Bruins 1, Canadiens 0

Yawn. That was a pretty uneventful game. It felt like both teams were coasting out there for the most part. For the record, my wrist is wrapped up right now so I'm not sure how long I will be typing.

It was nice to see the team once again limit the opposition to under 20 shots. Carey Price made 17 saves on 18 shots.

The Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta line generated 13 shots.

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line generated 10 shots.

I was giving Scott Gomez credit last game for increased effort. He is still very involved in the play but still tends to coast while backchecking. The end-result tonight was the game-winning goal.

Alexei Emelin was outstanding. He earned the third star of the game and it was well deserved. He threw a few great hits and was generally in good position.

The Josh Gorges signing rate rises every night. He is so damn good!

Not much else stands out to me right now. Like I said it was a pretty uneventful game with a lot of mediocrity on both sides, which gives me very little to write about.

Next game: Wednesday at Carolina.

Dobber Sports Genius

I sure wish the habs would sign some of these guys....

Hope this link works: if not go to the gazette or CJAD to see the brawl in the stands.

Apparently the white hair'd older man asked the bruin fan twice to tone it down cause people were getting annoyed. The 2nd time, the bruin fan thru beer on him. He let it go...til 1 minute to go that is then starting whaling! (the guy getting the beats is the bruin fan).

He was making comments about Price, Subban and Pacioretty all game...you can only guess what they might have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Nh5...has_verified=1
    Last edited by ddp; November 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    I sure wish the habs would sign some of these guys....

Hope this link works: if not go to the gazette or CJAD to see the brawl in the stands.

Apparently the white hair'd older man asked the bruin fan twice to tone it down cause people were getting annoyed. The 2nd time, the bruin fan thru beer on him. He let it go...til 1 minute to go that is then starting whaling! (the guy getting the beats is the bruin fan).

He was making comments about Price, Subban and Pacioretty all game...you can only guess what they might have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Nh5...has_verified=1
    The game seemed to lack a sense of urgency on both sides, so this fight was far more entertaining to watch!